651 South 4th St.
Louisville, KY 40202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theatersquaremarketplace.com/
- Phone: 5026253001
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dallas McGarity
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Contact us to arrange your private party, big or small!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a catering package.
- Private Party Contact: Kelly Weller 5026253001
- Entertainment: Live jazz Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday nights.
- Cross Street: Broadway
- Public Transit: 4th & Broadway
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Attached public parking garage. One next to Brown Hotel, and the other across 4th street, with entrances on 4th Street and off of 5th Street. On street parking available on 4th Street and on eastbound Broadway.
A word from Marketplace
Marketplace Restaurant features a diverse menu guaranteed to satisfy your appetite. We offer a full lunch menu of salads, sandwiches, and entrees, and a dinner menu featuring tasteful appetizers, salads, and specially designed entrees served in our unique setting. Our full service bar offers fine wines poured from our Winekeeper Cruvinet draft system, cocktails, and a large selection of Kentucky bourbons.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Marketplace - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
Marketplace reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (28)fit for foodies (23)romantic (22)neighborhood gem (21)special occasion (20)good for groups (19)notable wine list (13)late-night find (10)great for lunch (9)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Pre-Show dinnerCelebrationDined on 9/13/2014Marketplace is a great restaurant for a before theater dinner. We were going to the Henry Clay Theater for a 7:30 show. Our service made sure we got out in time. The food and service were both great! I recommend this restaurant highly.Special Features:
- DebbhibbDined on 9/12/2014A great place for downtown dining...convenient if you're catching a show at the Palace or Brown. Lots of space for large parties. Good service. We shared three appetizers ... Artichoke flatbread item was actually served on slices of baguette or something similar ... Chewy not crunchy like what I would expect with actual flatbread. Truffle fries-a high portion...much too much for an individual .... Enough for the whole table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday BluesStuNaplesDined on 9/11/2014The seasonal menu was interesting with a small choice of entrees. The appetizers were fantastic, and the service was wonderful. The chef accommodated all special request.Special Features:
- Slow, but deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014Marketplace is conveniently located a few doors down from The Palace Theatre. We made reservations for 1:15 before a show. I wish I had planned more time. Service was a little slow and inattentive, though not bad. We had the goat cheese spread appetizer, which was amazing. It was creamy, salty, and tart. The crostini's were a little too dark for my taste, but good. For dinner we had the NY Strip and Scallops. The steak was huge and cooked perfectly. The fennel and spices complimented it perfectly, as did the curry sweet potato mash. The scallops were cooked perfectly - juicy, not chewy, and seared wonderfully. The sauce and almonds paired nicely, as did the vegetables. Dessert was very good but not great. I would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Outstanding in downtown LouisvilleSandyDined on 9/6/2014We had a fabulous dining experience. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the wines and the food as well.Special Features:
- Excellence!Tlprb45Dined on 8/22/2014My wife and I celebrated our Anniversary here with sine friends and had the best time. The atmosphere is warm and inviting with nice eclectic details all around. The have a couple of bars and a very nice outside patio area for lounging. The menu was simple, but elegant and extremely tasty. The service was attentive but not overbearing. It was our first time here and we will definately be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food -slow slow serviceLouisvilleDinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014We sat on the lovely outdoor covered patio. Not very busy - three other tables. Food was excellent. Service was extraordinarily slow. 50 minutes between salad and entre. No apologies. Waitress cleared our plates without asking if we'd like dessert and dissappeared for another 10 minutes. Excellent food and ambiance not worth the slow disinterested serviceSpecial Features:
- Great SpotBradDined on 8/2/2014We traveled from Lexington to celebrate a birthday and went to Marketplace on a recommendation from a friend in town. From the host to the wait staff, we were impressed with the friendliness, food, and ambiance in a renovated theatre. There was live music that varied from Sinatra to Norah Jones- not too loud and set a great background for an intimate dinner. Well done!Special Features:
- Great food, great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014Stumbled on the Marketplace and loved it. Great food and great music.Special Features:
- JettRinkDined on 7/14/2014Everything was top drawer; service and food; will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLetDownDined on 7/4/2014What seemed it might be a nice atmosphere was soon disappointing. Had reservations for 8 PM. Arrived 10 minutes ahead. Wanted outdoor seating. Was told by a not so accommodating hostess that there were no outdoor tables, even though we saw many without customers. Waited at bar for one to open. 2 couples arriving after us were seated before us even though we had reservations and were there first. It didn't seem to matter and the hostess wasn't particular friendly. Were told by another staff member we couldn't have one of the open outdoor tables because it seated 5 people. Yet, a couple after us was seated there. We left after nearly an hour without being seated. It's a shame because we were looking forward to it and we tip well.
- Understaffed on July 4thOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014The restaurant was slow early in the day and understaffed the night. We had drinks and appetizers for our party of five. Very slow service. The entrees were excellent although the portions were smaller than expected. Overall the birthday celebration was enjoyable but over priced and under served.Special Features:
- OutstandingalnbarthelVIPDined on 6/28/2014Marketplace is in my opinion is a most beautiful restaurant where the food the service and the hospitality all come together to make an outstanding and memorable dining experience. One of my very favourite places to dine. I would also commend the folks at Marketplace on their use of local foods.Special Features:
- Great outside diningRKS612VIPDined on 6/27/2014Loved sitting outside on the beautiful covered patio enjoying some of the best appetizers in Louisville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceElizabethVIPDined on 6/20/2014Loved the food. Don't miss the brussel sprouts! Yum! The Lamb bolognese was delicious served over polenta vs pasta. The decor is ultra modern which is not my style, but interesting. Great outdoor eating area. Huge restaurant and not very busy. Hope it picks up. Chef Dallas is excellent.Special Features:
- Great Food Great LocationJudieDined on 6/17/2014Ny husband and I had tickets to a show at the Palace. Marketplace is only a few doors down. Great food. wonderful service. Very interesting place as far as decor. Jazz piano player at certain times. We wanted a littler meal so we shared the lamb meatballs. I could have eaten more of thise for dinner. Served on a bed of greens. Wonderful. Also we shared one of their flatbreads. One of the best we hav ever had. Have to try their cider manhattan. Very nice.! Definelty will go back when we are in town again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highland girlHighlandfirl13Dined on 6/12/2014Food was excellent. Wonderful bargain on blue plate specials for lunch. I always get the truffle fries---they are addictive! Patio is the best in Louisville.Special Features:
- chuckVIPDined on 6/9/2014Food is inventive, well prepared and presented with great care. I dine here regularly and always have been pleased with my experiences. The restaurant is consistently excellent and always provides a great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GnoBooneytDined on 6/7/2014My friends and I dined her for my bachelorette party dinner. The service, ambiance, food, Ambiance and drinks were all amazing. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor seatingMannyTheSaintDined on 6/3/2014This is a great place to unwind after work with friends, coworkers, or a date in downtown Louisville after work. They have their own signature cocktails, they are all great. Bourbon Manhattan martini is great! Order a couple of appetizers, sit back, sip a cold drink and relax!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely GemCheersDined on 5/31/2014Service was outstanding and the food worth coming back for! Just wish the water wall inside had been turned on as I am sure it would have been a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, terrible serviceCCVilleDined on 5/27/2014My husband and I recently tried Marketplace for the first time. It will be our last. With tickets for a 7:30 show, we had a 6 p.m. reservation. The place wasn't busy, and we were seated 10 feet from the bar. Nonetheless, it took 15 minutes for my husband's first gin & tonic to arrive. The second didn't show up until we had finished our meals, so he declined it. We never received bread despite two requests, and our water glasses sat empty for most of the meal. If this is what happens on a Tuesday, I'd hate to see a Friday. When we complained to the manager, he shrugged us off. Our food was uniformly excellent, but we were left with a bad taste in our mouths. There is no way I would return or recommend Marketplace to anyone else.
- Marketplace RestaurantGallyDined on 5/23/2014My husband and I had dinner here during our trip to Louisville. We made a reservation when we heard they had live jazz during dinner. Our reservation was 7:30 p.m. on a Friday night. The jazz trio was wonderful and really added to the atmosphere of the restaurant; however, we must have been early for the dinner crowd because there was hardly anyone else in the place. The restaurant did have a nice outdoor eating area and I guess a lot of people were out there because of the beautiful weather, but the musicians were inside so we ate inside. The food was excellent. I had the gnocchi and it was delicious. Their signature drink, the Cider Manhattan was also very good. I would recommend this restaurant for a nice romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 300 reviews are from the Marketplace reviews archive.
- Love this place!Yumyum81Dined on 5/21/2014Met for lunch with some relatives and everyone had a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enchanting 5 Star DiningCWDinnerClubDined on 5/17/2014Marketplace was amazing. We were so impressed with the inside decor until we stepped out into the patio / outdoor setting. Wow! Words cannot describe the detail that went into making it not only most impressive and resort like atmosphere. It is great place for that special occasion or perfect dining experience. To top it off, the food was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyJennhohlDined on 5/16/2014Had a nice experience at The Marketplace. Love the Atmosphere, foor was great, Jazz singer topped it all off! Would visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My dining experienceShawnGrayDined on 5/10/2014Staff was friendly and professional.. Food could have been a little less expensive considering quality and quantity. I had gnochi and my date had the shrimp.. on a scale of 1-10 I give a 6. Shawn GraySpecial Features:
- Derby DayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014Food and service was good. Not excellent. We booked this two months prior to our arrival. When we called to confirm, we were asked for our credit card. They could not tell us how much would be applied if we could not make the reservation. We did make it, but would not book this restaurant again because of the unknowns. On Derby Day, there are so many things that could go wrong; transportation issues, traffic delays. things that could have been beyond our control.
- Busiest weekend of the yearpp52Dined on 5/2/2014We went there on Derby weekend - busiest of the year - our waiter Shane was amazing, even though he was slammed. Food arrived in a reasonable time. My chicken breast was very dry, but everyone else's food was very good. There was a young woman singing throughout, very pleasant and non-intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but snooty and over-pricedBobPDined on 5/2/2014Restaurant has been rated well thus as out-of-towners we decided to try it. They charged $10 for a very small size salad and would have charged an additional $5 to split it (if that had been requested in advance)! The 48 hour short ribs name would suggest a fall off the bone tender meat; there were no bones but it was a good thing we had a steak knife to cut the somewhat dry and tough meat. As well, several of our party do not like polenta and asked that another starch be substituted with their dinners for those particular choices. We were told the chef would not do anything different to his "creations". If there was a saving grace to our meal, it was the waiter who tried to follow the "company rules" but was quite attentive otherwise.Special Features:
- Pre-Derby dinnerPmaracasDined on 5/1/2014Excellent food, very knowledgeable waiter and a good mid-range bourbon list. Veal chop on special was fantastic. Would definitely go again when in Louisville.Special Features:
- mix food and musicdogloverDined on 5/1/2014We had a lovely time at this place. The food is very good. The music was so nice not loud lovely singer very sweet. would go back anytime I was in LouisvilleSpecial Features:
- Wait staff + excellent restaurant.mimiteachVIPDined on 4/25/2014There for a vacation and on the Urban Bourbon Trail. The restaurant exceeded our expectations especially due to the personalization and reccommendations of the wait staff. Will definitely come back when in Louisville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left after appetizer.VisitingLouisvilleDined on 3/29/2014Everything about the experience said dinner was going to be a let-down... Someone else's glass was still on the table when we were sat, my signature cocktail tasted like the juice from canned peaches, wine glasses had been left on the restroom counter, the waiter would have been more comfortable at an Applebee's, the brussel sprouts appetizer was a pile of frozen veggies and soy sauce. We cut our losses after the appetizer, made a reservation for Eddie Merlot's around the corner (luckily got us in 45 min later), and left to get real food somewhere else. The ribeye special was going to be $54, and at that price you can eat somewhere else that won't disappoint (Eddie Merlot's did not disappoint). Don't waste your time at this place.
- Went as a girl's nite outmaca6Dined on 3/22/2014Went as a girl's nite out dinner - 7 of us. Service was a bit slow but waiter was very personable - maybe new? Menu was being updated and was good for the number of offerings - something for all taste. The wine list was notable for offering half bottles with a nice selection. We really enjoyed the dinner music - not too loud and very jazzy. We had a very nice evening and will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Great ambienceMartySiDined on 3/8/2014Visited Marketplace on the recommendation of the family. While it had been a busy night due to a concert at an adjoining theater, and they were out of some menu items, the staff was great at explaining and handling the menu issue. Food was magnificent - from appetizers to dessert. A 3 piece "combo" provided great background music for a truly enjoyable meal. Would definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marketplace-A Real GemJohnDJrVIPDined on 3/8/2014Great food and ambiance. Edward was our server and was superb. Very attentive and knowledgeable. Entertainment was VoJazz a trio with vocalist, pianist and bassist. Very engaging and talented. Made our dining even more wonderful. Will absolutely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedKathrynVIPDined on 3/8/2014Have eaten there before but was disappointed at every level. Our reservation was at 5:30 but more than one of our menu selections was already unavailable. Salad was good but other items were very mediocre.
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2014We went for a late lunch and we started with the Truffle Frites with Sirachi Mayo (could have eaten them all day). We both had the hot sauce marinated Fried Chicken, very delicious with a tasty white balsamic vinaigrette under the chicken mixed with veggies. Brennon, was a our server and took great care of us. Really enjoyed the ambiance too. Although the weather was a bit too cold this time around, we look forward to visiting again for dinner on the patio on our next visit and listening to some music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot next to Brown Theater.Fourtwo42Dined on 3/6/2014All around awesome. Right next to theater. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.