1 Ferry Building
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.marketbar.com/
- Phone: (415) 434-1100
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 11:15am Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Dinner: Saturday & Sunday: 5:00 - 8:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: MarketBar offers two dining rooms with seating capacity of 60 guests per room. The outdoor/patio can accommodate 80 - 100 guests.
- Private Party Contact: David Garza 4154341100x
- Entertainment: Televisions
- Special Events: Now Open for Breakfast Monday thru Friday 8:00a-11:15a.
A word from MarketBar
MarketBar is San Francisco's answer to Grand Central Station but on the water in the restored landmark Ferry Building. The casual menu offers many of the organic ingredients sold in the thrice-weekly farmer's market as well as the shops filling the interior of the building. Full Bar, creative wine list and seasonal market driven menu attracts a cross section of the city's diners to its handsome dining room, comfortable bar and spectacular outdoor sidewalk terrace.Continued
**We do not take reservations for the patio. We seat only complete parties on a first come first serve basis.
**We do not take reservations for the patio. We seat only complete parties on a first come first serve basis.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
MarketBar reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (99)great for lunch (67)great for brunch (43)scenic view (39)good for groups (33)fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (22)special occasion (15)hot spot (14)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (6)vibrant bar scene (5)romantic (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Love the alfresco lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/14/2014My clients who visit SF love the Market Bar for the Ferry Building location, where they can meet us, eat, shop, and enjoy a waterfront walk. Outdoor dining is delightful, weather permitting, and staff is accommodating to conditions and very attentive,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Atmosphere DisappointingSheaVIPDined on 11/8/2014We had Saturday brunch at MarketBar and the entire experience was unpleasant. The pancakes were tasteless, the eggs overcooked and the Bloody Mary bland. The service was inconsistent. There was also a group of 35 having a company party in the middle of the restaurant that was incredibly loud and disruptive. We could not have a normal conversation at our table and the restaurant did nothing to address the unbearable noise level for everyone else in the place.
- Breakfast after ShoppingGrannytechDined on 11/8/2014Arrive at 8, shop the farmer's market until 9, then great breakfast with interesting menu and good service. Dine in or on a sunny day out. Coffee keeps coming!Special Features:
- MannDined on 11/7/2014There were 6 of us went there for lunch and we sat outside but the rectangular table did not have a patio umbrella. It was a very sunny day so after 20-30 min., it became almost unbearable for the 3 people who are facing the sun. Most of our main entrees were pretty good but the French fries were the worst I ever had - of course they were the frozen type but tasted like they had been fried a few times with no moisture left inside each one.Special Features:
- Food DelayOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/3/2014Food, Service and Ambiance is excellent. I must say, that if you are in a hurry. It is tough to come to the MarketBar. There is always a delay with my food when I stop at the Marketbar.Special Features:
- Three small scallops, $27OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/29/2014That pretty much says it all. I'm not unaccustomed to small entrees in high-end restaurants but the day boat scallop "entree" was not even a starter, with a few tiny shreds of anemic carrots. The waiter was fun and attentive considering the last night of the World Series was going on at the same time but I pretty much had to stop and have dinner after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great location -go for full menucbgb2VIPDined on 10/26/2014I love the location for people watching and visiting the Ferry Bldg. The food is always fresh and well prepared. The lunch & dinner menus have good choices. The only downside is the limited brunch menu. Who heard of a place that can't add mushrooms to an omelette?Special Features:
- EdenDined on 10/26/2014It was perfect for my friends and I who haven't seen each other for years. We were able to stay and visit without being hurried. Food was good and enjoyed by everyone in my group.Special Features:
- I could eat here every day!runsterDined on 10/16/2014This place is truly exceptional. Not only is the food very good (both in quality and quantity), I have yet to encounter any wait staff who is not engaged/engaging. Granted I generally avoid the MarketBar during the weekend when it is very busy due to the amount of tourists in the area, but during the week it is a great place to have a nice lunch outside - you almost feel on vacation! I love the fact that some of the breakfast/brunch items are also part of the lunch menu - notably the omelet.... If you don't know what you want for lunch this is the place to go as everything on the menu is great and there is serious variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watching tourists ...EastBayLarryDined on 10/8/2014MarketBar is a great spot to meet. With two of us coming from the East Bay, one from the South Bay, and three from various parts of SF, it's easy to get to from all over the Bay Area. If you have to wait for a table, the Ferry Building is filled with interesting shops. We had drinks outside, then went to a table inside to eat. The food was great. We never felt rushed. We could actually hear one another speak! The only downside was a fairly inattentive waiter.Special Features:
- I love MarketBarOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014Great location, especially for the Bridge-light view in the evening. Food is always a winner- Fresh and expertly prepared and beautifully served. The staff is attentive and intuitive.I have eaten here many time for lunch, drinks and occasionally dinner. Easy access from BART and great location in the SF Ferry building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/6/2014Very nice place, great location, good food, great prices "special menu" service could have been better, felt that our waiter was either his first day and was not up to speed yet or just didn't bother, only took our order and delivered the check, everything in between was handled by other servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service so-soPaigeVIPDined on 9/28/2014We've had good meals and service in the past, so reco'd this for a brunch with two other couples. The food was good, people watching great, and service terrible. Coffee was filled to halfway mark the first time (half a cup? why?), and refills had to be requested three times before we finally got one refill in an hour. Had to request salt three times before we got it, same re cream. Five of us received our meal and the sixth was told her's was coming…it took longer than the rest. So she sat without food for 10 minutes while we all had ours. So why not time OURS to hers, vs making her wait? The only thing that was fast and prompt was the check turnaround. Bummed, but may try again at night when we've had good service that matched the food..Special Features:
- Breakfast @ Ferry TerminaleatndrinkDined on 9/27/2014We had breakfast and were looking for something quick and easy. So we decided on the soft scrambled eggs with bacon or sausage. Oh my. The eggs were perfectly scrambled with wonderful tasting small tomatoes. The sausage links were perfect with the eggs, but, a little spicy alone. All in all, really good breakfast. Even though busy, the staff were very attentive and checked regularly to see about our needs during our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor service on this latest visitlagunaDined on 9/21/2014fantastic location and decent food. very good outdoor seating with a lot of availability. usually decent service, but on this visit, it was poor. this is our neighborhood, so we will still be back hoping for a turnaround.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014We sat outside and had a very nice lunch. It was a beautiful day. I've only been to Marketbar for lunch which works very well.Special Features:
- great sidewalk scenechipperDined on 9/19/2014Delicious food and the best sidewalk scene in San Francisco.Special Features:
- An enjoyable repastsmkarizonaVIPDined on 9/15/2014Laughing with the host about sitting outside on such a beautiful day. He joked that my penance would be sitting by a screaming child. Then he actually (unknowingly) sat me by one. Once baby boy got his food (mac & cheese) he was just fine! The food was excellent, but the service was a little less attentive than I like. I got my soup and a promise of a spoon, but I had to track down a waiter a few minutes later to get one, as mine had never come back to see how I was doing. The crab deviled eggs were nice, but I had expected the crab to be mixed into the egg, not on top. That make it more difficult to eat and the crab was a bit overpowering. Great local beer on tap and a great relaxing lunch, where I wasn't chased out to turn a table. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Great food...poor serviceSandibeachDined on 9/14/2014The food was excellent. We started with a fruit poptart and mimosa. I had the quiche that was outstanding. My husband ordered the soft scrammbled eggs and enjoyed them. The service was poor! After receiving our first cup of coffee, we had to ask no less that four times for a refill. He never stopped by the table after our food was served...only to bring the check. Hmmmmm....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TeeeibleBean12Dined on 9/13/2014Overpriced and appears to cater to quick turnaround for tourism. Wait staff was nice, but inattentive. Then, about seven of them sat next to us to count receipts, etc. Very unprofessional while diners still eating. Hamburger was very overlooked. BLT came with melon slices, odd. Both items were pricey. They brought us check w/out offering desert and we were there for a birthday. Will never go back.Special Features:
- Good Food, Relaxed AtmosphereTheBeamDined on 9/11/2014I have had both lunch & dinner at MarketBar, & both were very good. They also offer breakfast & brunch. Unlike many places in the City, it was not difficult to get reservations. The food is very good, & reasonably varied. They use many sustainable ingredients. The servers are friendly & attentive, but not intrusive. If the weather is good, you can sit outside & watch all of the comings & goings on the Embarcadero. The restaurant is in the Ferry Building, & there are lots of interesting shops to browse before/after dining. Access to the ferries is right there, & BART is only a few blocks away. Note that they close at 9:00; if you are a late night diner this may not be the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely LunchCoffeeStainsDined on 9/10/2014Seated us immediately though one of our party of three had not arrived. Were asked if we wanted out or indoor seating with the warning that the only outdoor available was in the sun. My BLT was fresh and delicious. Overall: happy lunch!Special Features:
- Breakfast OutsideLauraLVIPDined on 9/7/2014This was a cute place on the wharf and my french toast was great; but their version of smoked salmon/bagel (although beautiful on the plate) was just okay. The portions were small (for a hungry person) so we ended up ordering another dish to complete breakfast. Sitting outside on a gorgeous SF day however...that was great!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great views but just OK foodKimdollDined on 9/5/2014The views are great, but the food and service leave room for improvement. The service is good, but very slow and not as friendly as it could be. The food is on the bland side, not a lot of flavor coming out of the kitchen.Special Features:
- Great spot in the Ferry BuildingMomo4Dined on 8/29/2014Great service and something for everyone. I loved the cocktail list. A crowd pleaser.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ferry Building diningcnalscVIPDined on 8/29/2014Located in the Ferry Building, with outdoor seating for those days when the fog isn’t present, Marketbar focuses on specialty cocktails and farm-to-table cuisine. We stopped by for a quick bite to eat before heading to the ballpark and enjoyed some wonderful salads, an enormous plate of pasta with sausage, and scallops wrapped in bacon with zucchini ribbons. We skipped dessert because we were in a rush but they looked appetizing. Great for habitués of the Ferry Building but also anyone in the Embarcadero neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Vibe and Attentive Service1greatcookDined on 8/28/2014We enjoyed everything about our meal here. Plus, the location in the Ferry Building is so convenient, even for folks coming from the East Bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just an okay experienceChuckjerriDined on 8/23/2014Lots of dining choices in the downtown area so knowing what I do now I would go elsewhere. It is not that I disliked Marketbar it is just that I would have preferred going elsewhere. A bit pricey so continue sharing but then you get to pay the sharing fee which is quite rude. Food is good but you can do better.Special Features:
- Pleasant Saturday BrunchRobWDined on 8/23/2014This was our first Market Bar experience. We were a party of 5 and had a delightful time. The staff was very warm and professional and made us feel very welcome. We had pulled pork and egg sandwiches, omelettes and salads. All were good, if unremarkable. Our server was helpful with wine suggestions. Market Bar is great for entertaining out of towners and provides a good start or finish to roaming around the Ferry Building and strolling along the Embarcadero. I might chose another place next time for the food aspect but overall it was fine and we were generally satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisingly not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014First the hostess table was unorganized & created a fit of people that were coming from either end so folks arriving from the other side would either wait longer or be ignored. little did I know that making a reservation was only for the inside and not the patio. Felt like it didnt matter and the male hostess was less than peach about it.. Then finally at our table, it took a good 10 mins before we got water. Hard to not notice when 2 tables near us were sat after us & got water right away. Overall you have to put this on your saturday brunch list but dont expect to be wowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as always!karaokegalDined on 8/19/2014I was there with my friend Yanni, celebrating my new job, and he'd never seen the Bridgelights. Food and view were perfect. I'm started eating paleo/primal and the cornish game hen fit perfectly. (OK MAYBE the pea puree was borderline, but still....)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackieDined on 8/17/2014What a find. Great food, vibe and location. After a day of heavy sightseeing, this was a great place to dine and recharge before heading out on BART at the nearby Embarcadero station. Great bartender. The lunch menu calls for a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryJoyfulDined on 8/17/2014We had brunch at the Market bar in celebration of our wedding anniversary. The place and the food made it memorable!Special Features:
- Nice outdoor mealRobFromDCVIPDined on 8/14/2014We had good lunches and breakfasts at the Market Bar. Good for outdoor ambiance. God was okay, average. They are better places if you want a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dihughesVIPDined on 8/12/2014Sometimes you go to a tourist destination and expect to get so-so food. Market Bar surpassed that by a long shot. We had the House-Made Pancetta Flatbread as an appetizer. In San Fran you expect fresh fish, so I had the Halibut fish and chips. A nice portion of crispy fish and fries that were actually warm when they got to the table. My wife had the Grimaud Farms Confit Duck Salad. The portion was nice and there was a good amount of duck. Our server was very attentive even for a busy lunch crowd. Al in all a very nice lunch.Special Features:
- Great Lunch SpotTony123VIPDined on 8/11/2014Very good for outdoor lunch. Quick service and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrannytechDined on 8/9/2014Marketbar can always be counted on for consistently good food, fresh, well prepared and well served!Special Features:
- Nice Dinner with a ViewFoodRadsDined on 8/5/2014Had 8:30 reservation but we arrived early as evening was cool. No prob we were instantly seated at a nice indoor table overlooking the bay lights. Our initial drink orders arrived late and incorrect, they were instantly fixed, and we were please find the bar bill comped at the end of the evening. We had oysters, guacamole, and halibut all well prepared and tasty. Will return if in San Francisco again.Special Features:
- Solid but a little pretentiousDenisVIPDined on 8/2/2014This was our first visit to this restaurant. We were a group of 8. The service was solid, very friendly and helpful. The runner messed up the tables but that was quickly resolved. The view on the Bay Bridge is great and there is a nice outside terrace. The food is very good, everyone enjoyed their meal except one person who found it a little peppery. There are no kids menu but they can whip up something. I am not doing 5 stars because it is a little pretentious for what it is. It tries to project a super high-end image but the whole package is not quite there. That always grabs me a little bit. However, it is a solid restaurant if you are in that neighborhood and want to see the bridge. There are better option for the same price.Special Features:
- Good, ConvenientInExileVIPDined on 8/2/2014While nothing special it is certainly worth a visit if you are at the Ferry Building and hungry. Service is indifferent but will eventually get to you.I would recommend this to a friend.