1 Ferry Building
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.marketbar.com/
- Phone: 4154341100x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 11:15am Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Dinner: Saturday & Sunday: 5:00 - 8:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: MarketBar offers two dining rooms with seating capacity of 60 guests per room. The outdoor/patio can accommodate 80 - 100 guests.
- Private Party Contact: David Garza 4154341100x
- Entertainment: Televisions
- Special Events: Now Open for Breakfast Monday thru Friday 8:00a-11:15a.
A word from MarketBar
MarketBar is San Francisco's answer to Grand Central Station but on the water in the restored landmark Ferry Building. The casual menu offers many of the organic ingredients sold in the thrice-weekly farmer's market as well as the shops filling the interior of the building. Full Bar, creative wine list and seasonal market driven menu attracts a cross section of the city's diners to its handsome dining room, comfortable bar and spectacular outdoor sidewalk terrace.Continued
**We do not take reservations for the patio. We seat only complete parties on a first come first serve basis.
**We do not take reservations for the patio. We seat only complete parties on a first come first serve basis.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
MarketBar reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (101)great for lunch (74)great for brunch (53)scenic view (42)fit for foodies (32)good for groups (25)neighborhood gem (20)special occasion (16)kid-friendly (10)vibrant bar scene (9)notable wine list (8)romantic (7)hot spot (7)late-night find (1)Show More
- just an okay experienceChuckjerriDined on 8/23/2014Lots of dining choices in the downtown area so knowing what I do now I would go elsewhere. It is not that I disliked Marketbar it is just that I would have preferred going elsewhere. A bit pricey so continue sharing but then you get to pay the sharing fee which is quite rude. Food is good but you can do better.Special Features:
- Pleasant Saturday BrunchRobWDined on 8/23/2014This was our first Market Bar experience. We were a party of 5 and had a delightful time. The staff was very warm and professional and made us feel very welcome. We had pulled pork and egg sandwiches, omelettes and salads. All were good, if unremarkable. Our server was helpful with wine suggestions. Market Bar is great for entertaining out of towners and provides a good start or finish to roaming around the Ferry Building and strolling along the Embarcadero. I might chose another place next time for the food aspect but overall it was fine and we were generally satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisingly not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014First the hostess table was unorganized & created a fit of people that were coming from either end so folks arriving from the other side would either wait longer or be ignored. little did I know that making a reservation was only for the inside and not the patio. Felt like it didnt matter and the male hostess was less than peach about it.. Then finally at our table, it took a good 10 mins before we got water. Hard to not notice when 2 tables near us were sat after us & got water right away. Overall you have to put this on your saturday brunch list but dont expect to be wowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as always!karaokegalDined on 8/19/2014I was there with my friend Yanni, celebrating my new job, and he'd never seen the Bridgelights. Food and view were perfect. I'm started eating paleo/primal and the cornish game hen fit perfectly. (OK MAYBE the pea puree was borderline, but still....)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackieDined on 8/17/2014What a find. Great food, vibe and location. After a day of heavy sightseeing, this was a great place to dine and recharge before heading out on BART at the nearby Embarcadero station. Great bartender. The lunch menu calls for a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryJoyfulDined on 8/17/2014We had brunch at the Market bar in celebration of our wedding anniversary. The place and the food made it memorable!Special Features:
- Nice outdoor mealRobFromDCVIPDined on 8/14/2014We had good lunches and breakfasts at the Market Bar. Good for outdoor ambiance. God was okay, average. They are better places if you want a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch SpotTony123VIPDined on 8/11/2014Very good for outdoor lunch. Quick service and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014Marketbar can always be counted on for consistently good food, fresh, well prepared and well served!Special Features:
- Nice Dinner with a ViewFoodRadsDined on 8/5/2014Had 8:30 reservation but we arrived early as evening was cool. No prob we were instantly seated at a nice indoor table overlooking the bay lights. Our initial drink orders arrived late and incorrect, they were instantly fixed, and we were please find the bar bill comped at the end of the evening. We had oysters, guacamole, and halibut all well prepared and tasty. Will return if in San Francisco again.Special Features:
- Solid but a little pretentiousDenisVIPDined on 8/2/2014This was our first visit to this restaurant. We were a group of 8. The service was solid, very friendly and helpful. The runner messed up the tables but that was quickly resolved. The view on the Bay Bridge is great and there is a nice outside terrace. The food is very good, everyone enjoyed their meal except one person who found it a little peppery. There are no kids menu but they can whip up something. I am not doing 5 stars because it is a little pretentious for what it is. It tries to project a super high-end image but the whole package is not quite there. That always grabs me a little bit. However, it is a solid restaurant if you are in that neighborhood and want to see the bridge. There are better option for the same price.Special Features:
- Good, ConvenientInExileVIPDined on 8/2/2014While nothing special it is certainly worth a visit if you are at the Ferry Building and hungry. Service is indifferent but will eventually get to you.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandyDined on 8/1/2014Love this place! We always go there for brunch when we take the ferry over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in Market BarTriddyDined on 7/31/2014We dine at the Ferry Building on a regular basis. normally we eat at The Slanted Door but this time decided to try Market Bar for a change. We were greeted by a hostess who never smiled, as were others who lunched there. The service was slow, half-hearted and we were "passed around" to 4 different servers, so there was no continuity in service. There were 4 different entrees ordered at our table. The fish used for the fish and chips was "muddy". The halibut and the salmon were overcooked and dry. The chicken on the peach salad was so sparse that you had to look hard to find it! Given that there are many other choices in the area we will not be returning to Market Bar.
- GO HERE.bronpawnDined on 7/30/2014The food was amazing, the views are ridiculous, and the waiters are very attentive to ensure you have a great experience!Special Features:
- Average Food; Nice Outdoor AtmoMissionMuffinDined on 7/25/2014I like going to Market Bar for lunch because it has a nice outdoor dining area and the wine is reasonably priced. The food could be better (and is often disappointing) and the service is spotty. Our last visit, it took nearly 10 minutes for a server to show up. When we mentioned the wait, she got somewhat defensive and said something about it being the lunch rush. I think it was because she had stations both outside and in (we were eating inside that day) and wasn't able to properly monitor her diners as a result. The attitude, however, is inexcusable and she could have had a more customer-oriented reply to us. I will go back to Market Bar but I usually leave wishing the food were a little betterSpecial Features:
- MarketBar experienceLunch4businessDined on 7/23/2014Overall pleasant experience. The food was good, and I very much appreciate them accommodating special my special request! I love the outdoor seating. My only hiccup was the slow service.Special Features:
- Food was not served together.OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/22/2014Had to wait a while for the Maple syrup to come for our delicious blueberry pancakes. Also the French Toast came a lot later out than the Pancakes and the maple syrup. Seemed odd. But the waitress was aware of it and apologized for the wait. It would have been nice to eat together but at least we did not have to catch a Ferry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsBaycydVIPDined on 7/18/2014Best part was the flawless service from everyone. Food was delicious too, but not 5 stars.Special Features:
- great mealhiedVIPDined on 7/14/2014everything about this meal was original and creative. ExcellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaterbarwingjVIPDined on 7/14/2014First time experience - enjoyed with coworkers for lunch & plan to return for dinner with family to celebrate our upcoming birthdays!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LynnDined on 7/13/2014so much fun so much fun so much fun so much fun so much fun so much funSpecial Features:
- Best Go-To SpotMenlo23Dined on 7/11/2014MarketBar is the best go-to spot near the water. It's easy to get in, great food, the service is spectacular, and the overall mood of the restaurant is purely classy and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/3/2014Food was great and so was the service. Service was fast and efficeint. The menu selection was adequate but not overwhelming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always enjoyableDylanPhileDined on 7/1/2014sitting outside at marketbar is always fun. great people watching at lunchtime and prompt, courteous service and very good food. i look forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- ExcellentRRKKDined on 7/1/2014Had a business lunch meeting. Great seating in the corner. Great food. Great service. I would absolutely go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptionally CourteousDinerBatzDined on 6/30/2014Our party of 6 arrived 45 minted ahead of our reservation. We asked if we could be seated early. The host was more than accommodating and seated us exactly where we asked: outside with a perfect view of the water. The server was knowledgable and polite. Our drinks were fantastic as well as our main courses. Our friends from out of town (their first time in San Francisco!) said that we picked the perfect place in the city.Special Features:
- Unexpectly wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2014MarketBar was great. Their Heirloom BTL was delicious and my sister got some sort of bacon & cheese which was excellent also. We sat outside and expected ~okay service but we were pleasantly suprised to see the service was great. Wonderful place and we would definately recommend it to our friends & family.Special Features:
- Service great, food notFoodieDined on 6/28/2014I ordered the fish and chips. The fish was way overcooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Service!JanetGDined on 6/25/2014My friend and I had lunch here to celebrate her birthday. The food was wonderful and service was even better! We definitely would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/23/2014Had a wonderful birthday lunch with co workers. The food was great. The service amazing and the dessert was to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialJasonVIPDined on 6/13/2014You would think a restaurant at the Four Seasons should have a better service and food? Certainly not this one!! We had the lamb which was not at all flavorful and the steak. Very mediocre. The lounge area looks very casual and cool. I'll go back for the lounge but not the restuarant!
- Wonderful AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/13/2014Great atmosphere and wonderful food make a superb compinationSpecial Features:
- Reliable Doesn't Mean BoringFrancesKVIPDined on 6/7/2014I work in the Financial District and a couple times during the year, we are required to come into the office on a Saturday to perform testing on our systems for business continuity planning. To bribe employees to give up a Saturday, I offer to feed them. Around the FiDi area, there are no decent restaurants open on a weekend. With the Farmers' Markeet on Saturdays, the Ferry Building is the happening place. So I've found that MarketBar provides a wonderful menu and they usually can accomodate us without much wait (it's deceiving, but it has a large number of tables, especially outside). Best of all, they use fresh ingredients, highlighting the seasonal produce. We always come away satisfied with our choices.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!ubtravVIPDined on 6/2/2014Went with a group from work and had a great time! Food and service were terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot, good pricesSodiumDined on 5/30/2014Love the market bar. Purely amazing that they can keep their prices in check given the location. Food and drinks always impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food slow service.Hill415Dined on 5/29/2014The food was trout and swordfish were good. But the dishes were not warm. The service was extremely slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/29/2014Great outdoor patio for people watching. Lunch is average and it took a long time to get our food, we only had two chicken salads and a panini.Special Features:
- Outstanding Service!Xochitl25Dined on 5/28/2014The food was excellent and I was pleasantly surprised by the outstanding service. I ordered Grilled Wild Hawaiian Swordfish on a bed of ratatouille. The flavor was great, but the fish was undercooked in the middle. I asked my waitress if they could please put the fish on the grill for a few minutes. The waitress not only graciously apologize and made sure my fish was cooked to perfection, but she brought me something to snack on while I waited and then the restaurant offered to pay for the meal! At MarketBar They truly go out of their way to make their customers happy.Special Features:
- Lovely spot in Ferry BuildingStevAVIPDined on 5/28/2014Perfect for friends and business meetings Great service and food Very convenient and pleasantSpecial Features: