Market Street Oyster Bar - Downtown
54 Market Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84101Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Market Street Oyster Bar - Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://marketstreetgrill.com/
- Phone: (801) 531-6044
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday: 3:00pm - 11:30pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Continental
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Cross Street: Between 300 & 400 So/Main Street & West Temple
- Public Transit: Public transportation, via TRAX light rail and the Utah Transit Authority coach system, is provided into-and-out of downtown Salt Lake City, with the Gallivan Plaza Station only one-half block from The Oyster Bar's front door. Travelers should take advantage of the transit system's "Free Fare Zone" in The Oyster Bar's downtown area.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Parking is conveniently located on the west side of the building, only a few steps from the entrance to The Market Street Oyster Bar. Parking is free for lunch and Sunday brunch dining. Valet parking is validated for dinner diners. Ample pay parking lot and metered street parking is also available.
A word from Market Street Oyster Bar - Downtown
Since 1980, the Market Street Grill & Oyster Bar has been rated as Utah’s most popular seafood concept, providing exceptional service and award-winning menu selections. Bustling wait staff and exhibition kitchens contribute to a sparkling, high-energy atmosphere where the best seafood between Seattle and Boston is served in an expansive variety of contemporary dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Market Street Oyster Bar - Downtown - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Market Street Oyster Bar - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (6)hot spot (6)fit for foodies (5)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (4)good for groups (3)neighborhood gem (3)romantic (3)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Great seafoodHauteCuisineVIPDined on 11/24/2014It is amazing to have such good seafood in the land locked Salt Lake City area. The oysters are constantly fresh, and the fish is fresh and well-prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/13/2014We frequent Market Street Grill often and have only ever had one meal where it was not spectacular. One of the last times we were there the Northwest oysters were bad. They took them off the bill promptly and handled it with total professionalism. They even took them off the menu for the day. We have been back since and had the Blue Point Oyster and they were amazing! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eatMichelle1104Dined on 9/5/2014Atmosphere, service, wine list, food, and excellent choice of fish is why I gave this restaurant five stars.Special Features:
- Fun date nightWineaholicDined on 8/26/2014First time diner at the Oyster Bar, hubby & I decided to go there for our date night. We were greeted by the receptionist Melissa. Even though they were busy, she still sat us at a big booth, per our request. We felt bad for taking all that room, but she said we could have any table we wanted since it was our special occasion. This made us feel very welcome. Our server was Kathryn, who was very efficient. Food was amazing, chowder was like nothing I've ever had before! Overall, we were impressed with the service and food! The atmosphere was a little loud, but understandably, they were packed. Thanks for the great experience. We will be back soon! :)Special Features:
- Great DinnermrfuelDined on 8/21/2014This is a favorite spot of ours, Great salads, fish & fuel. We always kneow what we will get and with wonderful service.Special Features:
- food was greatLovetoEatVIPDined on 8/11/2014We dine regularly at market street and the food was very good. Had some oysters along with a filet. Everything was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took the Folks to BrunchMarcandMayVIPDined on 8/3/2014Had omlettes and seafood for Brunch at the Oyster Bar and the food was excellent and the service exceptional. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Twice in Six DaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/31/2014Dined at Market Street twice this past week when I was staying at the Hilton. Great service on both occasions and well-cooked fish. My only complaint is that on Thursday night service was too fast! We were still enjoying the excellent calamari and finishing our martinis when the server brought the clam chowder and hadn't finished the very larger serving of chowder when she brought out main course. I realize that she needs to bring out food as it's prepared, and the soup was wonderfully hot as it should be, but we wanted to pace ourselves. We ordered wine while finishing the chowder but I bet some diners don't bother with wine because they're still sipping cocktails and nibbling appetizers when the next course appears.Special Features:
- The following 98 reviews are from the Market Street Oyster Bar - Downtown reviews archive.
- Eat here.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/21/2014Food was good. Service was good. Drinks were well made. Prices seemed reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salt lake weekendbillyDined on 7/12/2014Enjoyed the meal and experience of great food and service.we always enjoy dinning at market street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but not our best meal.LovetoEatVIPDined on 6/26/2014Everything was really good except for one of our dishes. The salmon on cedar plank. The cedar plank was much to strong, changed the taste of salmon drastically. Other than that, the oysters were good, the chowder excellent, and stuffed tilapia very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Sea Food in Utah!!!cs12345Dined on 6/21/2014We had a great experience here for a romantic date night! Great seafood, fresh oysters, and great service!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerJhayduDined on 6/17/2014Food was okay and the waitress did not understand the basics, like allowing us to finish one course before bringing the next. I felt like we we dining at Denny's.
- DecentJohnDined on 6/14/2014Having lived in NYC, LA, San Diego, and Honolulu all my life, I have had some of the best seafood the world has to offer. I was not expecting great seafood in Utah, and in no way did this event compare to world class seafood. But it delivered what I was hoping for given the geographic location.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/6/2014I wasn't impressed at all. Clam chowder was watery, oysters Rockefeller are more like spinach Rockefeller and Utah trout pretty much Utah bread crumbs with with flavor. Good local beers.
- A FavoritelpackDined on 5/16/2014Market Street is our restaurant of choice whenever a special occasion for dinner comes up. We especially like the casual atmosphere at the Oyster Bar. It is a hot spot in SLC so you do need reservations most nights. The food is good, a decent selection of fresh fish is flown in daily. Our service has always been quick and friendly. Reasonable price for good seafood.Special Features:
- Great DinnerLovetoEatVIPDined on 5/13/2014Love the $.99 oysters, delicious. Had the snow crab cluster and filet. excellent. Looking forward to having that dish again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentLovetoEatVIPDined on 5/8/2014Stuffed halibut was excellent. $.99 oysters is a great special. Looking forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistenly greatPhilzee2Dined on 5/1/2014I have been at the Market Street Oyster Bar three times and each time has been consistently good. The choices are excellent. I love fish and they have a great selection. the wine list is great also. I have brought two colleagues there and they enjoyed it also. So when I am in SLC I always stop by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no crab omeletZorroDined on 4/6/2014I drove down from Brigham City to celebrate my Mom's 78th birthday. She had been craving a crab omelet. On Sunday they have a set in stone brunch menu, absolutely no changes! The only day of the week you can't get a plain crab omelet! They do offer a seafood omelet which we ended up having and it was very good. The reason behind the brunch menu is to make it affordable to all, but it wouldn't hurt to have a few pricier items on the list too. All in all the brunch was good and my Mother enjoyed everything. Our server, Elizabeth, was outstanding and the price extremely affordable but I was prepared to pay for a CRAB OMELET !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/3/2014Went for dinner after arriving from the airport. We were able to get there an hour before the reservation but they seated us quickly anyway. Seafood was very good. Large portions. We enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prices going up, quality going downBeanieutahDined on 3/25/2014We have been patrons of The Oyster Bar for 20+ years so we've come to expect a certain standard, however our meal failed to meet it during our last 2 visits. The Oysters Rockefeller were the highlight of the evening, but at $15 for 6 small oysters, they may be the only thing we'll get in the future. My husband was surprised at the small pieces in the Fish and Chips entree, so much in fact, that he asked for them to bring another piece because one was just a small bite-size piece. I always order the Halibut Oscar, but was disappointed as well this time as it was difficult to detect any hint of crab in the Oscar mixture. It appears the prices keep going up but the quality and portions continue to diminish. Maybe it's time for a change.Special Features:
- GreatTammyDined on 3/15/2014Great food and great service. Loved that the bread kept coming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boring & BlandOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/6/2014I guess if you play it safe with what you serve, you can be a pretty popular restaurant. Service is okay but the food is mediocre at best. Oysters were okay but they were raw so they really didn't do anything to them. Everything else is under seasoned and boring.Special Features:
- Some co-workers of mine decidedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014Some co-workers of mine decided to have a Friday night out at the Oyster Bar. We were seated and attended too quickly. I've always been a fan of this restaurant. It's is rare thing to have quality seafood in a Utah restaurant. My only complaints would be that the caesar salad dressing was too thick and had much too much lemon in it. I almost always order this salad and have enjoyed it every time but I was not able to eat more than a few bites this last time. Also, my wine glass sat empty for what seemed to me like an unnecessary amount of time given that the restaurant was not crowded at all. Otherwise, the experience was a good one.Special Features:
- Misrepresentation of Food.skierDined on 2/16/2014This restaurant advertises with great flare that they have BluePoint oysters for 99cents every day in the month of February. With a dinner reservation at 7:15p (clearly there was room at 7:00 but no seats were "available") we find that they are "out," because, of course, these are Fresh and you just can't have too many around. We were also told that the Talapia (advertised as "long fin" talapia--come on, "long fin" talapia) was also out. This was a Sunday evening of a Holiday weekend. The manager apologized for the absence of the BluePoint oysters on "special" but was willing to split the cost of an order of other types, which were significantly more expensive. Go somewhere else; Salt Lake has many more interesting places.
- Valentine favorite dinnerbillyDined on 2/15/2014We come to salt lake from idaho for our valentine dinner every year and we always eat at market street.The oysters were great along with my crab dinner my wife's halibut was equally very good we have done this every year for twenty years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice locale, but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/6/2014I used to frequent here with clients over the years, but recently, I've found the quality of the food to lack compared to the high prices. The oysters were fantastic (Blue Points were reasonably priced on special) but my fish lacked flavor as did my client's steak. We also had to track our server down twice for drink and water refills, yet the restaurant wasn't very busy. I will probably look for an alternate SLC downtown dinner destination next time.
- Great Seafood and ServiceIcemanVIPDined on 1/29/2014Server Thad was wonderful, friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the $HandingDined on 1/29/2014Cold. There excuse was the building was old. Really??
- when seafood is what you want...LuvlakemurrayVIPDined on 1/26/2014this is a great place to get it! Good variety;a little pricey, but proportional servings.Special Features:
- SALT LAKE SEAFOODdfs24653Dined on 1/23/2014The food was decent. A good meal; not a great meal. The service was irregular and the waiter was a novice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood in Salt Lake City!ArtayVIPDined on 1/23/2014The Cioppino was excellent. Service was excellent and be careful about the bread, it's addicting. We have been very pleased with this consistently very good restaurant for over 10 years.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The original Oyster Bar isKellyrVIPDined on 1/18/2014The original Oyster Bar is getting a little run down, and the service is not as good as the other stores. It is still a great place to eat, but with the other Market Street stores and increased competition, this place is falling back into the pack.
- Thanks to our server, TylerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/14/2012Thanks to our server, Tyler and valet Matt! Was a very nice evening!Special Features:
- Great downtown dining experience!jessjturnerDined on 12/14/2012Great food and wine with a wonderful ambiance. Highly recommended for brunch, lunch or a nice dinner.Special Features:
- The food was ok, but the drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/9/2012The food was ok, but the drinks served were incorrect.
- I was seated immediately uponOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2012I was seated immediately upon arrival and the waitress was very friendly, service was above my expectations, very awesome "Fresh Fish". I had the Orange Roughy and would highly recommend this dish to fish lovers. The Oysters on the half shell and Clam Chowder were delicious. I will return again and bring family and friends the next time I'm in Salt Lake City. Hopefully real soon. Ski season is rapidly approaching. Ready to hit the trails...Special Features:
- Seek your seafood elsewhereGhlatta3Dined on 10/3/2012I had the Orange Roughy Oscar (one of the more expensive entrees on the menu, and apparently one of their specialties): it came with a small portion of Halibut topped with Béarnaise sauce that tasted like it had come straight out of a cheap grocery packet (it actually tasted more like Hollandaise sauce), accompanied by undercooked broccoli. My wife's salmon was at least edible, but not outstanding. The restaurant itself got packed fairly quickly with a lively crowd, and the bar was busy with singles eating and drinking. Our food was served by a waitress who was downright sullen, and mix that with loud, overpowering 1980's music and we ended up with an evening that seemed more of a social outing than a meal outing.Special Features:
- Food was great. Very smallOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2012Food was great. Very small potions and quite pricey for those portionsSpecial Features: