Market Street Oyster Bar - Cottonwood
2985 East Cottonwood Park Way 6580 South
Cottonwood Heights, UT 84121Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Market Street Oyster Bar - Cottonwood
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://marketstreetgrill.com/
- Phone: 8019428870x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Bill McArthur
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Market Street Oyster Bar - Cottonwood
In 2000, Gastronomy opened it"s first location outside of downtown Salt Lake City. Located in the southern part of the city, the Market Street Grill and Oyster Bar Cottonwood were Gastronomy's first restaurants built from the ground up. Serving the same delicious fresh seafood and tender steaks that you have come to enjoy at our other Market Street locations, but with stunning views of the Wasatch mountains, our Cottonwood location also features a Fresh Fish Market and spectacular patio dining. Private dining facilities include our Creekside Private Rooms, the Garden Court adjacent to Big Cottonwood Creek, and extraordinary Roof Top Dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Market Street Oyster Bar - Cottonwood - Best Restaurants in Cottonwood Heights ›
Market Street Oyster Bar - Cottonwood reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (12)special occasion (11)fit for foodies (10)vibrant bar scene (9)good for groups (7)romantic (7)great for lunch (7)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (6)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (4)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)Show More
- Great serviceCitydaydreamerDined on 8/22/2014We had a wonderful time at The Oyster Bar. The service was professional, friendly and efficient. The food was fantastic as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Had a wonderful birthday dinner for my son. The waiter was very attentive and the food delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodLovetoEatVIPDined on 7/11/2014Had the lobster louie special. Was very good. Of course the chowder was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so great.CocoDined on 7/3/2014We went to Market Street in Cottonwood and were sorry to have a not so great experience. Mostly it was the server but the food was pretty average too. I am, due to health issues, gluten free. When I asked if the restaurant had a gluten free menu the server replied with something like "if you think, or it sounds like, it is gluten free then it is." Okay so that is great. Little risky for me. We were promptly served our beverages and appetizer but it then took at least 25 minutes from completion of first course to get the server's attention. When I flagged him down I was told he takes the dinner order by arrival. Don't have a problem with fairness but do not like to be ignored. He tried to later apologize but the damage was done.
- PeggyDined on 6/20/2014Our table was ready for us when we arrived. No waiting. Service was excellent and the food was very nice. We didn't feel rushed to leave our table. Everything was handled very professionally. I highly recommend the Oyster Bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchFrankVIPDined on 6/19/2014Glad to see the quality of the food has come back, and has been back for awhile. Love the Seafood Cobb. The lettuce and all the ingredients were so fresh. Not crazy about the snow crab, but I know the Dungeness is too expensive. Service was really good, also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DayBrunchRegularDined on 5/11/2014Made reservations, food took a little longer than usual because of Mother's Day, the sever forgot to get second cocktail. Seemed like kitchen wasn't keeping up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunchbirthdayVIPDined on 5/11/2014Don't care for the new limited items brunch menu Ordered fish and chips, comes with 2 pieces, wished for 1 more and was informed we have no way to charge for that. What about old fashioned pen and paper using cash. Seems as if they are willing to turn away a proffit if a computer can not spell it out. I am a member of the frequent dinner club,not my first time thereSpecial Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchFlipperDined on 5/11/2014I was very please with prices and the food service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 86 reviews are from the Market Street Oyster Bar - Cottonwood reviews archive.
- Underwhelmed this time.PaulDined on 4/26/2014Expectations are high for a Gastronomy. They generally do a great job all the time. However, this particular visit, the "fresh halibut" oscar was either not so fresh, or it was overcooked. It was not particularly tender or flavorful. Also, the service was just OK. We required Gluten Free, and they delivered, but the server was not well versed in their Gluten Free capabilities, which is important if the restaurant doesn't provide a "gluten free" menu.Special Features:
- Impressed with dining experienceGreatEasterBrunchDined on 4/20/2014I found it very easy to make the reservations online. They called to confirm, and a few days later when our numbers changed they very accommodating. Our table was ready when we arrived and I appreciated not having to wait. The service was great and the food was good. It was a great Easter Brunch! I would definitely use open table again, and go to Market Street for a special occasion.Special Features:
- menubirthdayVIPDined on 4/20/2014new brunch menu very limited selections, small portions as compared to the pastSpecial Features:
- Great SeafoodSLCRumblerDined on 3/20/2014Love their seafood options. I always consider here as a lunch or dinner choiceSpecial Features:
- Good Food... Slow waitressMichelleDined on 3/14/2014The food was delicious. We are always happy with the quality of food.Special Features:
- Great!goodfoodafficianadoDined on 3/14/2014This restaurant always lives up to expectations. I have never had a bad meal here. The noise level can be a little high at times, but I believe that's due to the hardwood floors and large crowd. This restaurant never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LateOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/21/2014We sat for 40 minutes waiting for a table and had a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for the oyster special.SLCUTDined on 2/17/2014Went for the oyster special. They were delicious and perhaps I should have stuck with that. Crab dishes were also featured on the menu on the night we went and my crab entree was disappointing. The food is hit or miss here. Sometimes very good and sometimes average or worse. Given the high prices one would expect to receive a very good meal no matter what entree was selected. I generally find that the food is not worth what I am charged.
- Good food and a noisy sceneBiBaVoDaDined on 2/14/2014The food was excellent. The ambiance is fine, if you like loud and crowded. Not my thang! Better to dine on the restaurant side of the house as this was too much for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid, not spectacular.reviewerDined on 2/14/2014Add expected. Food good, but not great. Service not very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall pleased as usual!FireJLDined on 2/14/2014We love going to the Oyster Bar, always have! I only have one complaint, and that is with one of the kitchen staff. Jean Louis is somewhat new to gastronomy and I am a firm believer due to past experiences with him at other restaurants that he is a hack that has lost whatever culinary talent he once had. My only suggestion is don't ever eat food prepared by Jean Louis but the rest of the Oyster Bar staff is amazing and they always have been.Special Features:
- Fresh fish and other delightsrichDined on 2/14/2014Market Street consistently good and fresh. I also enjoy their beers. Good location with few other choice restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unromantic Valentine's DayvalentineDined on 2/14/2014Early reservation (4:30) to beat the dinner crowd & put "booth, please" so it would be a little more romantic. Were 15 mins early, no wait & many open tables but seated at a little table by a window that looked out at the street. :( I asked if we could get a booth & she said they don't take special requests on days like today so we said we'd be happy to wait but were told the people in the booths had been there since 2:30 & they need those booths for others. I was disappointed but my date insisted it would be alright. The food came quicker than ever & was very good but it was obvious they wanted to rush us. As I finished my crab legs & moved the plate to eat my potatoes, the waiter came & took everything away! I didn't argue & we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible food & slow serviceSherjDined on 12/31/2013Went to Oyster Bar for nice New Years dinner with friends. Not overly crowded but still took us 2 hours to get our main course. My halibut Oscar came out so dry and the crab flakes were shriveled up and would not come off the fork. The piece of halibut was minuscule for the $29.90 charged. I ended up sending my plate back. My friend ordered the Mahi Mahi, it came out dried out & hard with small pieces of foil stuck to it. After bringing the slow service to the attention of the manager we were told that this is what we could expect at the Oyster Bar on New Years. Needless to say, although I am a premier frequent diner card holder, it will be a long time before we return to this restaurant, if ever.Special Features:
- Been going to the Oyster BarTommyDined on 12/31/2013Been going to the Oyster Bar for years and we enjoy the food and the service !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, once againFrankVIPDined on 12/24/2013Went for dinner on Christmas Eve. The ambience was especially charming that night. The food and service were excellent. We both had clam chowder and wild salmon on a plank. We've had that salmon many times here, but it was outstanding, the best we've ever had. It was a perfect evening all around. The Market Street's have gone through lots of changes in the last few years, and it's good to see the quality is back. (and has been for awhile)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice birthday dinnerchardsharkDined on 12/21/2013We went here to celebrate my spouse's birthday. I ordered the cedar plank salmon he ordered the fisherman's platter. The salmon was amazing; his was okay. The restaurant definitely had a festive atmosphere. The oysters were fresh and delicious. It is a nice place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Fresh fish; nice atmosphererichardDined on 12/21/2013SLC favorite; two branches. Fish well prepared with nice selection, other options delicious too. Early bird specials and half price appetizers are worth thinking about....good beer.Special Features:
- Still good, butMeldredgeDined on 12/16/2013After all these years Market Street is still very good, but missing some smaller things that most restaurants of similar price range offer. Small touches that elevate your dinning experience are missing; for instance, the salads that we ordered were really small and plain, the spinach salad had a few cherry tomatoes and nothing else, the same for the regular dinner salad. Everyone liked their fish, but with our dessert we wanted to order coffee, to our disappointment there was no espresso, just regular coffee that tasted more like office coffee than fine restaurant coffee. A tiny white cup with a brown sugar cube feels a lot more elegant, than the cafeteria coffee experience we hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FavoriteLovetoEatVIPDined on 11/23/2013One of my favorite restaurants in Salt Lake City. Always a great meal, had the baked stuffed shrimp and the Tuna. Both were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love that there is no corkageOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2013Love that there is no corkage fee - we can order an expensive dinner and still have a reasonable bill with our own good bottle of wine.Special Features:
- OKeatingslcDined on 10/25/2013We normally have a good dining experience when going to market street but this time was not memorable...the service was very slow and did not pay much attention to our table of young people while the table of older people next to us got awesome service from the same waiter. Also the fish that we ordered grilled showed up "pan fried" so note that Grilled on the menu means pan fried and broiled means grilled...probably should fix the menu with those descriptions. I think from now on we'll stick with Brunch there only....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 20 for music?langex09Dined on 8/16/2013I expected more from a notable restaurant. The noise level was tolerable and was fitting for the restaurant; however, my wife and I would have expected toned down background music. Having what sounded like the top 20 pop hits from this year pounded into our heads was not the best choice. The service was decent, the waiter probably had to many tables to provide outstanding service for the price but he did a good job. I can see that obviously there is a set clientele which is catered to but do not forget about those who choose you restaurant for special occasions and provide supplement to you profits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a good dinnerLovetoEatVIPDined on 7/22/2013Monday nights are half off oysters. 4 different kinds of oysters available and all were pretty good. Had the Utah rainbow trout for dinner. Was bland with not much taste. I was very disappointed with that. Thankfully the Clam Chowder was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyster Bar/Cottonwoodzoe1953Dined on 7/14/2013We have been going to the Oyster Bar for 20 years. That night we can honestly say we had the worst service we have ever experienced in any restaurant. It was even more frustrating as it was a Sunday night and the restaurant was only a quarter full. After being promptly seated the rest of the evening was a service disaster. Starting with a 15 minute wait for our server to acknowledge us. It took an additional 15 minutes for her to return with sone of the drinks . The wine took another 10 minutes because the bartender was backed up. Even though the presentation and quality of the food was up to Market Street standards the orders were not as requested. Given how much time had passed we ate what was served,Special Features:
- No fun next timeKrystalDined on 6/28/2013I've been a patron of this restaurant for many years, at this location and the downtown location. I have never had a problem. However, the waiter was talking and his gum fell out of his mouth and on to my dad's bread plate. The waiter seemed very nervous to begin with and a little overwhelmed so we didn't make a big deal about it but asked for another plate handing him that one with the gun clearly on the plate and buttered bread. He didn't even blink or say another word about it but just walked away and came back with another plate. Like I said he was obviously overwhelmed so we didn't make any more big deal about it. Not one of the best experiences we've had at this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as AlwaysAndrewDined on 6/26/2013Food is superb (very fresh oysters). Service outstanding as always (thanks Katie). We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for special occasionsSlcfoodieDined on 6/16/2013Took my dad there for Father's Day. I had the salmon, which had been flown in from Alaska. Excellent food, but the price seemed a little high, as it was one of the unadvertised daily specials. My recommendation: stick to the menu or the specials printed on the insert. The salmon was not on the menu, and therefore the "special" price was $30. I tend to try to stick to a budget of around $25 total (including drinks), so it was a bit of a shock for me. The Oyster Bar has an excellent drink menu, and a good wine selection. As for food, definitely try the clam chowder at least once. Family favorites include the cioppino, the broiled halibut, fish & chips, and salmon. And don't forget dessert - the fruit tart is the best.Special Features:
- Not up to normalSpankyVIPDined on 6/16/2013As usual the food was was great, however by far the worst service we have ever experienced here. Extremely slow service, inattentive server and overall poor service.Special Features:
- No More Chocolate Cake...OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/24/2013Gastronomy is changing.... 1st, they stopped carrying the bone-in filet, and now, no more famous Market Street Chocolate Cake...
- DisappointedBurtDined on 5/12/2013As a party of 3 we were seated at a Bar table meant for 2. The restaurant was very hot and the usual loud noise level was extreme. All of this resulted in an unappetizing experience.