Market Street Broiler
260 South 1300 East
Salt Lake City, UT 84102Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Market Street Broiler
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://marketstreetgrill.com/locations/university/
- Phone: 8015838808x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Market Street Broiler
Since 1983, the Market Street Broiler, housed in a renovated 1930s fire station, has been the epicenter of Salt Lake City seafood dining. Seafood is flown in fresh daily from around the world and broiled over mesquite providing a delicious, savory flavor. Creamy and luscious Market Street Clam Chowder (a unanimous favorite) starts off a meal that continues with seafood so fresh you’ll think you’re on the coast.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Market Street Broiler reviews from OpenTable diners
- DisappointmentgeechDined on 3/21/2014Main entree was the Utah rainbow trout. It had not only no taste but didn't look like a fresh catch. For the price of the entree it was not acceptable. Also requested oysters Rockefeller but the restaurant ran out of spinach. I know it was Friday night but still early for a 6:30pm reservation. Questionable about returning.
- Great Food, Fair ServiceVicCDined on 3/1/2014The food is almost always great at the Broiler and this time was no exception. The service, however, was only fair to good. The waiter just took too long. In his defense, he probably had too many tables to serve and he had a large table that took a lot of his time. Still, we paid quite a bit for our dinner and expected a little better service. We still left our waiter a 20% tip despite our only fair to good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Seafood In SLCCRBernardDined on 2/27/2014Market Street lived up to its reputation for fresh seafood, even as far inland as Salt Lake City. The menu is moderately priced considering the quality and freshness of the fare, but watch for excellent specials as well. My girlfriend and I enjoyed the February special -- Blue Point oysters for $.99 each. Sometimes Market Street experiences a run on certain seafood, however, so be sure to ask your server or call ahead to check on availability. The ambiance was excellent, as was the service. I would recommend Market Street to anyone who loves seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedRobertDined on 2/15/2014I was excited about going to this place. I was very disappointed with the service, I felt rushed the whole time. Dinner was bland and felt that for the price it should have been better.
- ExcellentSammyDined on 2/14/2014Chilean sea bass is to die for! Excellent service, quality food and quick seating. We will definitely be going back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehPhilDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I went here on a date. We had the crab and artichoke dip as an appetizer and it was great. The server recommended the crab and filet, so we both ordered it. The crab was great, but the steak was the worst we've ever eaten. The side orders were bland. I probably wouldn't return, because we didn't feel the food quality was in line with the price we were charged.
- Great place.NiceValentinesDinnerDined on 2/14/2014Love the food. Took my 90 year old father who cannot go up stairs so we were given the only table on the 1st floor. (I do wish the place had more tables on the 1st floor.) We had a great dinner. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Valentines' DateCedarSithDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I enjoyed a very romantic and wonderful evening at Market Street Broiler. The in-season crab was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentda1prophetDined on 2/1/2014I have been eating at the Market Street Broiler since it opened back when I was in high school. I still eat here just about every time I come through Salt Lake City. There have been some changes in the decor and menu but they've managed to keep things fresh yet maintain a level of consistency that is downright amazing. I've eaten all over the world and they *still* have the best clam chowder on the planet. My only gripe about the Market Street Broiler? They don't have a location in Las Vegas where I currently reside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinneralowisciousDined on 1/26/2014Great Seafood, amazing decor and finishes, excellent service, quiet upscale ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Always a waitJenMDined on 1/24/2014Market Street is one of our favorite date spots. We made reservations since it always busy and we had a play to catch. We still had to wait over 20 minutes for a table. The service was good and quick, so it made up for the wait. The food is always delicious!Special Features:
- A great night out!!!UpintheNightDined on 1/24/2014I enjoyed crab-stuffed mushrooms (which have always been a favorite of mine at Market Street), and for my entree, I had the crab-stuffed halibut (yeah, I guess I am into crab meat). Simply delicious. Add a few blue point oysters, served with a complete array of accoutrements like horseradish, cocktail sauce, etc., even though I had only ordered two oysters. Add the classic clam chowder and wonderful sourdough bread, and the entire meal is just heavenly. I was very impressed with everything about my visit. My wife had the early bird special, which featured a perfectly cooked top sirloin steak. I felt like that was a very nice deal. Great job Market Street! and thank you for a great night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry placejohnnyboyVIPDined on 1/21/2014Expected more. Out of spinach salad early in the evening and the place was not crowded. Had a green salad and the sliced cucumber looked like it had been sliced days ago. The mashed potato came with the entree and had a crust on them. I would not recommend eating here.
- Great Fish in a pleasant atmosphereParrottheadDined on 1/14/2014Great Seafood place. The fish was very fresh and well prepared. Side dishes were average. The Key Lime Pie was fantastic!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh... Nothing special.SteakFiletDined on 1/12/2014I got the 6 oz Filet and flavor wise it was great. However, their options for sides were slim and I feel the meal was over priced. Their bread would have been good if the crust wasn't hard as a rock. Doubt I will go back, I can get a filet elsewhere that tastes just as good and wrapped in BACON, which their filet was missing.
- Food and service was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/11/2014Food and service was great. Everything done to perfection. The server was prompt but she could smile once in awhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Moderate-High PriceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/19/2012I'm not going to lie: My motivation for dining here was a $25 off coupon for my birthday. That being said, I was blown away. The food was, albeit pricey, sooooo good! My aunt and I had the macadamia encrusted New Zealand orange roughy, I believe, and my brother had the crab cakes. My orange roughy came with a generous serving of brussel sprouts cooked to perfection. The waiter was very nice---very patient---and gave us ample time to figure out what to order. A downside is that the dining area is upstairs and there is no elevator. I didn't realize this when I booked, and it took my aunt a very long time to ascend to the dining room. (She's on oxygen and gets worn out quickly.) If you're mostly healthy, you should be fine, however.Special Features:
- Food was excellent and weOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/15/2012Food was excellent and we were in and out in a timely fashion (we had tickets to Scrooge). Server was ok talked very fast and soft which was hard to hear due the noise level. Very busy because of the time of year.Special Features:
- NopeDateNightDined on 12/13/2012If a lively bar scene with far overpriced mundane food is your desire, this is the place. Red Lobster would have been a far better choice.
- Great restaurant! The parkingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/12/2012Great restaurant! The parking could use some improvement. The staff is very friendly and efficient. The food is fresh and prepared very well. A great restaurant for any occasion. The online reservation a huge plus.Special Features:
- Romantic evening out.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012Been to Market Street restaurant multiple times downtown, South Jordan and Cottonwood locations, but this was a 1st for the University Market Street Broiler and we loved it! Awesome ambiance! Great place to take the one you love! Reminds you of being inside an old ship/boat of sorts with the nautical lights, wood finishes and other decor. Much quieter in our opinion than the other locations. We also brought in our own bottle of wine and they didn't even charge a corkage fee!! :)))Special Features:
- The waitress accommodatedWIgirlDined on 12/8/2012The waitress accommodated our need for a quick meal to attend a University event.
- This chain has a solid setreggiesdadVIPDined on 12/7/2012This chain has a solid set of restaurants. we are from the gulf coast and find this to be one of the better seafood places west of the MississippiSpecial Features:
- Great seafood plus!JohntheSkierGolferVIPDined on 12/6/2012Located adjacent to the U of Utah campus, the location is great for meals before shows at the Pioneer Theater or Kingsbury Hall. We ordered white salmon and crabcakes. Both were well prepared. The service was prompt and attentive. Each course was served at the appropriate time. We sat at the counter rather than the dining room. It is great to watch the food preparation and see the orders going to the dining room. Caused us to order desert!Special Features:
- WE go often The stuffed salmonscottfDined on 12/4/2012WE go often The stuffed salmon was a bit overdone and stugffing not as good as on past occasions, but still a nice meal. Food not well prepared is unusaual at this restaurant..Special Features:
- Steak OvercookedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/4/2012I had the 6oz tenderloin which I ordered medium well. I don't like a lot of pink but this was cooked too well done and very dry - I felt that this was unusual since I order medium well all the time.Special Features:
- Just SadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/2/2012My loyalty to Gastronomy restaurants has officially ended. The food was absolutely unacceptable for the price paid. The service reminded me of Chili's waiters who feel they need to make a witty comment for everything. It absolutely ruined a special night out for us. This was not the first time I have had this type of experience here. Last time it was watery chowder and burnt crab cakes. This time it was a first under cooked, then over cooked filet that was not at all seasoned. (I am sure it was thrown in a fryer). Very sad to see the food and service at one of my favorite places decline to the point that I will never go back.
- The whole experience was fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2012The whole experience was fantastic!! Food and Service were great!Special Features:
- Honeymoon lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2012Great food. My wife had an alaskan crab salad which she was less than impressed by, but the place isn't known for their salads, she loved the lobster tails I ordered, but unfortunately she has allergies to gluten, soy, eggs, and milk and so like usual couldn't try the best food. Great place, good service, great food, love the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Disappointed but will try againOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2012The food was great, our waitress was excellent. Where the problem came in to play was the fact that there was no hostess available to seat us. The bartender had to leave his station and greet us. He told us to go upstairs and find our own seats. I received three phone calls during our dinner and I explained to the caller, which was the restaurant hostess each time, that we were at the restaurant already eating. I ordered an appetizer ahead of time. It never came, but I was charged for it. I would recommend some professionalism within the staff.Special Features:
- I have been coming to thisOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/5/2012I have been coming to this restaurant for years and the food has developed to a chain status. Not what it used to be! Service was also terrible and the restaurant was empty.
- Steaks were full of fat andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2012Steaks were full of fat and hard as a rock. It was early evening and the kitchen was out of potatoes. Vegetables were microwaved and waxy. Service was below par. The whole ordeal was a waste of money
- Always outstanding fish. NicescottfDined on 10/23/2012Always outstanding fish. Nice setting, close to theaterSpecial Features:
- Nice overall restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/20/2012Nice overall restaurant. My biggest complaint is the time it takes to get a cocktail or a glass of wine. I go there often and it takes way to long to get a drink. After waiting more than 20 minutes for our wine Friday I had to ask for it and then waited almost another 10 minutes. It usually isn't this long a wait but I have had to ask more than once for our drinks. Most restauarants have the drinks out quickly so they can sell you more. Had to just have 1 glass of wine because of slow service.Special Features:
- Food was very good, and serverRobertDined on 10/19/2012Food was very good, and server was amiable. She did seem a little frazzled, and at times we had a difficult time understanding what she was saying as she seemed to talk fast. But still very nice and professional. Enjoyed the ambience of the restaurant. This was the first time my wife and I had been to Market Street in several years. Glad to see it is still a top-notch restaurant.Special Features:
- Always excellent food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2012Our second time there and always great food and excellent service. We will definitely return. It's a great place to celebrate special occasions.Special Features:
- wished it was as good as the reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/3/2012Very disappointing after reading all of the favorable reviews. Food was dry, overcooked and bland
- Food and menu selection not2FoodiesDined on 9/24/2012Food and menu selection not as good as it used to be.Special Features:
- Had a great time. Good food,servicOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2012Had a great time. Good food,service and table. Thank you!!Special Features:
- I've rated this restaurantSLCeatDined on 9/15/2012I've rated this restaurant "fair" almost across the board. I know that Market Street Broiler hold a lot of tout but honestly, it wasn't that great for the price. I don't mind paying more for good food. I frequent Ruth's Chris, Spencers, The Melting Pot...etc and all seem "worth it" on the service and the quality. This was not up to par and even pricer than our usual meals at other similar restaurants! It was a busy night and I don't know if we just got the brunt end of their grill but everything had that bitter "grill" tinge to it you'd usually find on the cooked side of your hash browns at Denny's. Especially our $42 Australian Lobster....not good at all. I would have paid reasonably $13 for it, not $42. The steak was fine but not great.