Market Street Grill
1231 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Market Street Grill
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marketstreetgrillsf.com/
- Phone: 4154874414
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Sunday - Saturday: 6:30am - 11:00am; Lunch: Sunday - Saturday; 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Market Street Grill offers dining for parties up to 25 in the main dining room (limit 8 during theatre performances). They also offer many private dining rooms throughout the hotel for all parties greater than 8. Please see group theatre menus on our website or call 415.487.4439 for details.
- Private Party Contact: Sharon Chism 4154874439
- Entertainment: We feature a live piano player.
- Special Events: We have a new cocktail menu featuring: Raspberry Cosmo's, Purple Scooter, Fantastico, and the NEW Blue Ice Cosmo.
A word from Market Street Grill
The Market Street Grill serves modern fare in the classic space just inside the historic Hotel Whitcomb. Enter through the Tavern Piano Bar with it's Barbary Coast ambiance, complete with vaulted ceilings, Tiffany Glass, and rich Janesero paneling. Our straightforward cuisine focuses on using the finest farm fresh local products, prepared with a slight Euro-Asian inspired feel. The seasonal menus pair well with approachable yet refined wine list, which features extensive selections that span the globe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Market Street Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (13)great for lunch (13)neighborhood gem (12)good for groups (10)fit for foodies (8)romantic (7)great for brunch (5)scenic view (3)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Oasis in the DesertraraVIPDined on 8/26/2014Only decent restaurant near Orpheum Theater! At last not having to walk a half mile before going to theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MSMTRVIPDined on 8/23/2014We have had some nice dinners at Market Street Grill, but this was not one of them. The server forgot to bring our salads. We had to ask for them. All 4 of our meals were not served warm, and the meals just mediocre.
- Market Street GrillDM59Dined on 8/23/2014Very convenient to Orpheum and food was good but portions were pretty small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SHOULD HAVE EATEN AT BURGER KING.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Very disappointing experience, to say the least. The server seemed to be inexperienced...was not able to answer questions about the menu. A wine into a glass that had lipstick on it. She promptly took the glass and returned with another glass only to have lipstick on it again! As for the food....you're better off going to a local joint for a burger. We ordered three different entrees and all were terrible. The pan seared halibut at $29 was dry (overcooked) and the potatoes that came with it tasted as if they were made the day before. The other parties order Thai shrimp and shrimp scampi.....awful!!! And, before you order the clam chowder, you might as well open a can of Campbell's brand.
- Solid pre-theater mealdquijote649Dined on 8/23/2014The ambiance is old San Francisco, the menu is not large but everything I've had is good, and the service is fine. The proximity to the Orpheum Theater makes it a logical choice before attending a show.Special Features:
- Theatre Ticket!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014Great place to go before or after your special visit to the theater (Orpheum SF). Wonderful food at lunch AND at dinner. I've been there for both!Special Features:
- Convient to Orepheum TheatreBobbiDined on 8/21/2014Food was just so-so. I had the spinach salad, dressing was too much vinegar. Entree was Lobster mac & cheese, hardly any lobster. Service was good & and it's a pretty restaurant. Very convenient for attending performance at the Orpheum Theatre, which is right across the street.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/20/2014My first time there and the Thai Shrimp was excellent. I was hesitant, but the waitress's recommendation was spot on. Incredible. Great place to eat before going to the Theater.Special Features:
- SusanOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014This is a great restaurant to have lunch before going to the Theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for theatre curtainOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/19/2014This is an adequate restaurant if you’re going to the Orpheum theatre. It’s within walking distance and the food is acceptable if of only mediocre value. Service is brusque and only moderately attentive. I ended up with the wrong dish though it was certainly served promptly. The room is very interesting – a throwback to the traditional restaurants of San Francisco. I wouldn’t go here unless I have another theatre date.Special Features:
- Good foodrah3794Dined on 8/19/2014Restaurant is in a beautiful old hotel and setting. We were seated immediately. Seemed to have a nicely situated table with a "reserved" notation on it--a nice touch! Crabcakes, with lemon and guacamole, were delicious. Entrees were prepared as requested even with some substitutions. Seemed to be a little short handed in the wait staff area, we needed to ask for our bill and were not offered refills for after dinner coffee. A good spot for dinner prior to attending the Orpheum across the street. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ladies trip to theatre & lunchNeatsDined on 8/17/2014Five senior ladies rode Bart into SF. Made lunch reservations as this restaurant was directly across the street from production. We all had a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot for a pre-theater dinnerSiciliangirlDined on 8/16/2014Nice menu selection, quick service. Very attentive waiter and staff, didn't have to ask for a thing! Had the salmon which was excellent and my husband had the steak, also excellent! We passed on appetizers, drinks and salad. Shared an apple dessert that was good too! Nice atmosphere, super convenient to the Orpheum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient for Theatre PatronsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/16/2014Great location..just across the street from the Orpheum Theatre. This is my go to fine-dining restaurant whenever I watch a Broadway play/musical at the Orpheum. Tomato basil soup, halibut and apple strudel where all tasty. One star less for serving my friends' clam chowder soup cold and we had to send them back to be reheated. Other than that small hiccup, experience was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceSevenXDined on 8/16/2014The food and service are terrific and it's close to so many theaters and music venues. Before or after a show, this place is the ideal solution. Or just come for the food. It's worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodLesfromSantaCruzDined on 8/16/2014We have eaten here many times and never had a bad experience. We have brought groups after the theater for dinner or before for lunch. We have recommended it to many friends. Service has always been excellentSpecial Features:
- Hotel WhitcombPatriciaDined on 8/16/2014Everytime I go to the Orpheum Theatre I go to the Hotel Whitcomb for lunch. It is one of my favorite places to go for a treat. It is so easy to make a reservation for your special day with Open Table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theaterBBoop15Dined on 8/15/2014Good spot to dine before heading to Orpheum for a show. Didn't have ingredients for one of their specialty cocktails but the substitute lemon drop was good - though glass was sticky. Salmon was awesome - nice flavors. Friend's pasta was good and spicy. Chocolate cake was dense and not overly sweet. Great dinner!Special Features:
- Dine close to the OrpheumLuv2TryDined on 8/15/2014Great spot very near to the Orpheum. Everyone in our Group of 8 loved their entrees.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014We were headed to The Orpheum so looked online for a nearby restaurant. We were delighted with our find! First of all the architecture is beautiful. We enjoyed being in this beautiful old building and immediately felt the night take a notch up! Our waiter was unobtrusive but provided very good service. Each of our party of 4 enjoyed our entrees and the pacing of the meal was perfect. it was a quick 2 minute walk across Market Street to the theatre and parking at the Civic Center Garage was ideal for both the restaurant and the theatre (and parking was only $5!)
- Good dinner spot before a showRSAfoodieVIPDined on 8/15/2014The restaurant caters to the show patrons. They make sure you are served promptly and get on your way. The menu has changed several times but all the items our party ordered were well prepared and enjoyable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/31/2014We made dinner reservations before going to the theater. Although our requested time (6:15) was not available, we were the only ones dining. We arrived early, decided to have a drink in the bar. No happy hour prices; no nibbles (pretzels, nuts). Horrible Manhattan; husband ordered a champagne coctail and got a glass of champagne instead. Don't bother stopping at the bar - order drinks at your table. We've had the waiter before, and he was very attentive. However, he brought two of my entrees and forgot my husband's. Fortunately husband liked what I was ordering, so everything turned out fine. We've eaten here several times, and this is the first time we felt the restaurant was lacking. Everyone is allowed an "off" night so we will return.
- An Old SF GemDinoDined on 7/29/2014This restaurant in one of SF's oldest hotels, The Whitcomb, is one of those few quiet, conversation friendly environments left in The City. The food is very good on a consistent basis. I've had lunch here at least once a week for years and frequently stop into the bar for a TGIF and a snack. The staff is friendly and helpful and the ambiance is welcoming. The fireplace on a cold SF day or evening provides an extra bit of warmth to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where is Everybody?OneWestDined on 7/24/2014The restaurant was suggested as a reasonably priced option for pre-performance dinner. It was also terrific food.We enjoyed the seafood special option (sole) with excellent sides, terrific wine by the glass options, and superb service -- ask for Kevin. What was puzzling was the lack of customers pre-theater on a Thursday. Perhaps the location in a venerable hotel is an issue? We asked to sit behind the Market Street window table offered us originally, which improved the ambience. Maybe a sleeper?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodIluvcgarsDined on 7/11/2014Food was great, our server could have been better, seemed like he was rushing usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bob68VIPDined on 7/8/2014This is always a useful choice if you want to eat near the Civic Center, and avoid the fancy places on Hayes Street. Food is perfectly good and the place is normally uncrowded and quiet, if they don't have a large tour group eating there.
- Surprize SurprizeSnooper1Dined on 7/1/2014The Opera buffet was completely booked so I opted to find a restaurant between the Civic Center BART station and the Opera House and found this gem. I can't tell you how pleasantly surprised we were, everything was upscale except the dinner prices which were comfortably within a "Bart riders budget"!!! Aces for this place!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst restaurant experience ever!sfnative17Dined on 6/25/2014I selected this restaurant because of its proximity to the Orpheum. What a huge mistake! Located in the Hotel Whitcomb, the decor is old SF, but run down. The food was some of the worst--I ordered the crab cakes which didn't taste like crab, it was surrounded by a cold saffron corn puree that made my stomach turn, the waiter was rude. I asked where the ladies' room was, and the woman at the front directed me across the hotel lobby, not informing me I needed a key to get in. I waited at the door for someone to come out, and when I entered the bathroom, it was flooded! I was wearing high heel sandals, and had to choose between getting my feet wet or not using the restroom. Run as fast as you can from this place!
- LunchCherylLDined on 5/29/2014Food was delicious but took too long to arrive during the lunch hour.Special Features:
- So soQuietVIPDined on 5/22/2014This place has lots of potential but probably needs a new chef. Nothing in our meal was memorable and the waiter, while very courteous, neglected to make sure the sauce was separated from the food, as requested. The best part was that the dining room was large and quiet and supported a normal conversation.
- Not What it Used To BeFoodieDined on 5/14/2014Eating at Market Street Grill was like going into a bit of time warp. I had moved away, and hadn't been back in 20 years. Decor is much more casual than it used to be. Food was nothing spectacular. Actually it kind of reminded me of going to Applebee's. Seems like MSG has forgotten who they used to be. Sad.Special Features:
- Service needs improvementmcwmVIPDined on 5/8/2014Our server kept forgetting things and had to be reminded several times to bring beverages etc.Special Features:
- What a gem!NotHard2PleaseVIPDined on 4/30/2014Market Street Grill is a gem in a neighborhood that some people avoid. It's quite (which is a rare in today's restaurant world), you can actually have a conversation. The food and service are top rate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1259 reviews are from the Market Street Grill reviews archive.
- EssdVIPDined on 4/20/2014My latte was served in a glass with someone else's lipstick on it. When I asked for another they simply poured it into another glass instead of making a new one. Food was fairly good. Wish I had known that this place was part of a hotel.
- Great Service & Locationemc2Dined on 4/5/2014Great location for theater, good food, and exceptional service!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent - with one little snagMuttiBDined on 4/5/2014Everything was excellent - food (salmon, sole, chicken, pasta, crab cakes) as well as the salads and the wine. The service was outstanding and charming, and very attentive. So I hate to say that we had a small issue when the bill came -- one dish was recorded twice on the bill when only one had been ordered and served. This small oversight was remedied on the spot, but it would be better if those small errors could be avoided right awaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had dinner there beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/3/2014We had dinner there before going across the street to the Orpheum Theatre. The food and service were good. Parked once. We would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Show nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/2/2014This was a great choice for a great dinner before Mama Mia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food in an Old World StyleJnJKDined on 4/2/2014We have eaten at this restaurant and it is always good. It has a nice old world ambience and the menu although not extremely broad is always good. The lamb chops were outstanding as was the excellent mushroom ravioli! And its NOT noisy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine placepickyeaterDined on 4/2/2014Chosen for its closeness to Davies Hall, we were very pleased. Good food, interesting seasoning, nice decor.Special Features: