Market Street Grill
1231 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Market Street Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marketstreetgrillsf.com/
- Phone: 4154874414x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Sunday - Saturday: 6:30am - 11:00am; Lunch: Sunday - Saturday; 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Market Street Grill offers dining for parties up to 25 in the main dining room (limit 8 during theatre performances). They also offer many private dining rooms throughout the hotel for all parties greater than 8. Please see group theatre menus on our website or call 415.487.4439 for details.
- Private Party Contact: Sharon Chism 4154874439x
A word from Market Street Grill
The Market Street Grill serves modern fare in the classic space just inside the historic Hotel Whitcomb. Enter through the Tavern Bar with it's Barbary Coast ambiance, complete with vaulted ceilings, Tiffany Glass, and rich Janesero paneling. Our straightforward cuisine focuses on using the finest farm fresh local products, prepared with a slight Euro-Asian inspired feel. The seasonal menus pair well with approachable yet refined wine list, which features extensive selections that span the globe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Market Street Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (29)special occasion (27)neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (17)fit for foodies (13)romantic (8)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (5)scenic view (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Horrible!GinnyVIPDined on 10/16/2014They do not have the halibut that's shown on-line Way too much Chef Boyardi Sauce on the Ravioli Service is the worst ever!
- Review of Market Street GrillGastronomeDined on 10/11/2014Two friends and I went to dinner at Market Street Grill before an 8pm performance at the nearby Orpheum Theatre. Although the reservation was for 5:15, the service was slow, and we didn't get out until 7:30. Although my dish was tasty, my friends said that their vegetables, espeically the potatoes, were on the raw side and not very tasty. I would recommend it to those people who want to attend the theater and don't want to eat very far away.
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/26/2014First visit was good! We'll be back! Great for theater goers! It is right across the street from the Orpheum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only ok if no other choicePickyGuestDined on 9/25/2014The restaurant is close to Orpheum theater. If not for that, I don't think it would be having too many visitors. Plates cost $30 and for what? Bland, dry, lacking imagination food. Menu is limited and not kid friendly. I could hardly find anything for my 11 year old to become interested in. Only four choices of desert. We were not even given desert menu. We were shown four plates of desert and asked to point the one we want. I felt treated like a kid. Desert was also so-so. Piece of carrot cake was hardly exciting. Chocolate cake was super dry and tasted like not very fresh. We left with feeling being cheated. I did not enjoy my food. Inside was OK, very old fashion. Not enough lighting and that did not create intimate romantic atmosphere.Special Features:
- CPAFoodieVIPDined on 9/24/2014Our waiter while very nice was not horribly attentiveI would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Ideal for theatre goers (Orpheum), friendly staff, moderately priced and very good food in a historic building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pickeyVIPDined on 9/24/2014The location of Market Street Grill is ideally suited for BART users. since it is a step away from a BART station. Food in of itself was good enough for me to keep it in mind if I'm in the area.Special Features:
- Great Dining Experience1delightedcustomerDined on 9/24/2014We always go to this restaurant prior to attending the matinee at the Orpheum. I have never been disappointed. The service is fabulous and the food so delicious. We had the salmon and the crab sandwich. Both were divine. They always treat my group special no matter if we are 2 or 6. I recommend this restaurant all the time. I also enjoy bringing new people because I know they will always be impressed with the service and the food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/24/2014Food is excellent, specializing in seafood. Wait staff is courteous and they do not rush you and allow a very relaxing experience. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice lunch before the showOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014we had lunch before a matinee showing of Motown the Musical this week. We arrive early and enjoyed waiting in the lobby of the Whitcomb before going into lunch. The food and service were very good (we're not that picky...)and the atmosphere was nice and a little on the quiet side as we like it.. Unrushed and we finished in plenty of time for the show. If you're looking for a convenient location near the Orpheum and BART the Market street grill suited us just fine. If you're really into high end dining it may be a little too ordinary for youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait Staff Could Use Some TrainingStickerForServiceDined on 9/23/2014We chose this restaurant because it was close proximity to the theater. I had never heard of it, so my expectations were quite low. I was pleasantly surprised by the decor, ambiance and food, but the service was strange. They would reach across me without a moment's hesitation. They were never taught to serve from the left and clear from the right... lots and lots of reaching across me or my date, never pausing to wait to speak, just interrupting our conversation. Even serving water was a disruption! The food was surprisingly good - split a salad (plenty of food), had salmon (excellent!) and dessert. A decent wine list. It was just that pesky service...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food!djshaferVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had a party of four and all of us were just raving about what we had - lamb chops, shrimp scampi fettucine, mushroom ravioli, and Thai chili prawns. All were very good. Great place to dine before seeing a show at the Orpheum right across the street.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/19/2014Excellent location on Market close to the Orpheum.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014The food was generic, service was slightly rushed. But if you were going to the show in Orphium theater, the location is perfect.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was OKEnjoyLosGatosVIPDined on 9/13/2014Because it is convenient to the Orpheum Theater it is a good place to have a meal before a show. Other than that it isn't a place that I would go for a meal. It is in an old building and the food is good but not great.
- Best Lunch Option for the OrpheumJLN14Dined on 9/13/2014Have gone here twice for lunch before seeing matinee performances at the Orpheum Theatre, which is right across the street. Make your reservations well in advance, as there really aren't any other decent restaurants so close to the theatre. Not a whole lot of variety in the lunch menu, but everything I and my party of three had was tasty and satisfying. Service was good and ambiance is nice. Very enjoyable meal and we will most certainly dine there again.Special Features:
- Pre-Theater DinnerLDMartinezVIPDined on 9/10/2014The Grill (8th and Market) is very close to the Orpheum and BART-rider friendly. The staff is attuned to an 8 p.m. curtain call so we've never had to worry about getting to the theater on time. Our reservations were for 7 p.m. (nothing earlier was available), but we arrived at 6 and were promptly seated. Dinner salads (Caesar and spinach) are large enough to split. Fish is fresh--I'd recommend the halibut, portions are a decent size and nicely plated, and their desserts, if you have room, are tasty and also share-able. We've eaten at the Grill several times, and never been disappointed in the food or the service.Special Features:
- Good Food vs. Poor ServicegrannydoveVIPDined on 9/10/2014A group of six dined prior to an 8: P. M. Orpheum show. Once served, our waiter practically abandoned us while he served a host of other tables. We continuously flagged other staff members to tend to our needs, even to pick up the bill so we could get to the theater in time. Should we return for the good food, or should we cross the Market Street Grill off our list because the service was grossly negligent? That is the question!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasantbeachyDined on 9/6/2014It was a pleasant experience. The food was good and the location is conveniently located near the Orpheum theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MommaTishDined on 8/31/2014Reservations are a must if you want to eat before a matinee. The Orpheum is just across the street. Good food, good prices, attentive wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/30/2014Food was delicious and the waitress was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Market grillOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014A good place to eat if going to the theater since there are not many restaurants within a short walk to the theater. A bit pricey especially for the pasta dishes. service is good. Very few choices for single glasses of wine.
- Looks 8 - Dance 5SirTasteAlotDined on 8/29/2014Proximity to Orpheum was key. Needs stronger kitchen.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/28/2014Reservation system wasn't efficient, and a "bit off" - I tried to make a res for 6 pm, before an 8 pm play across the street, and there was nothing available, so I took 5:30 pm instead - but from 6 pm, and later, there were many many open tables. So we lingered longer than usual at the table, since we had so much time to wait until the Orpheum opened up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Orpheum TheaterTomfDined on 8/28/2014The food here was very good, though not anything extraordinary. The location, across from the Orpheum is great if you're going to a show.
- Oasis in the DesertraraVIPDined on 8/26/2014Only decent restaurant near Orpheum Theater! At last not having to walk a half mile before going to theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GaGaGaGaDined on 8/26/2014Great ambiance in a historical hotel. Service was great before the theatre. Lobster mac & cheese with truffle oil & Gouda cheese certainly put a great new spin on an old time favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MSMTRVIPDined on 8/23/2014We have had some nice dinners at Market Street Grill, but this was not one of them. The server forgot to bring our salads. We had to ask for them. All 4 of our meals were not served warm, and the meals just mediocre.
- Market Street GrillDM59Dined on 8/23/2014Very convenient to Orpheum and food was good but portions were pretty small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SHOULD HAVE EATEN AT BURGER KING.SFGalDined on 8/23/2014Very disappointing experience, to say the least. The server seemed to be inexperienced...was not able to answer questions about the menu. A wine into a glass that had lipstick on it. She promptly took the glass and returned with another glass only to have lipstick on it again! As for the food....you're better off going to a local joint for a burger. We ordered three different entrees and all were terrible. The pan seared halibut at $29 was dry (overcooked) and the potatoes that came with it tasted as if they were made the day before. The other parties order Thai shrimp and shrimp scampi.....awful!!! And, before you order the clam chowder, you might as well open a can of Campbell's brand.
- Solid pre-theater mealdquijote649Dined on 8/23/2014The ambiance is old San Francisco, the menu is not large but everything I've had is good, and the service is fine. The proximity to the Orpheum Theater makes it a logical choice before attending a show.Special Features:
- Theatre Ticket!TheatreticketDined on 8/23/2014Great place to go before or after your special visit to the theater (Orpheum SF). Wonderful food at lunch AND at dinner. I've been there for both!Special Features:
- Convient to Orepheum TheatreBobbiDined on 8/21/2014Food was just so-so. I had the spinach salad, dressing was too much vinegar. Entree was Lobster mac & cheese, hardly any lobster. Service was good & and it's a pretty restaurant. Very convenient for attending performance at the Orpheum Theatre, which is right across the street.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/20/2014My first time there and the Thai Shrimp was excellent. I was hesitant, but the waitress's recommendation was spot on. Incredible. Great place to eat before going to the Theater.Special Features:
- SusanOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014This is a great restaurant to have lunch before going to the Theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for theatre curtainOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/19/2014This is an adequate restaurant if you’re going to the Orpheum theatre. It’s within walking distance and the food is acceptable if of only mediocre value. Service is brusque and only moderately attentive. I ended up with the wrong dish though it was certainly served promptly. The room is very interesting – a throwback to the traditional restaurants of San Francisco. I wouldn’t go here unless I have another theatre date.Special Features:
- Good foodrah3794Dined on 8/19/2014Restaurant is in a beautiful old hotel and setting. We were seated immediately. Seemed to have a nicely situated table with a "reserved" notation on it--a nice touch! Crabcakes, with lemon and guacamole, were delicious. Entrees were prepared as requested even with some substitutions. Seemed to be a little short handed in the wait staff area, we needed to ask for our bill and were not offered refills for after dinner coffee. A good spot for dinner prior to attending the Orpheum across the street. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ladies trip to theatre & lunchNeatsDined on 8/17/2014Five senior ladies rode Bart into SF. Made lunch reservations as this restaurant was directly across the street from production. We all had a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot for a pre-theater dinnerSiciliangirlDined on 8/16/2014Nice menu selection, quick service. Very attentive waiter and staff, didn't have to ask for a thing! Had the salmon which was excellent and my husband had the steak, also excellent! We passed on appetizers, drinks and salad. Shared an apple dessert that was good too! Nice atmosphere, super convenient to the Orpheum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient for Theatre PatronsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/16/2014Great location..just across the street from the Orpheum Theatre. This is my go to fine-dining restaurant whenever I watch a Broadway play/musical at the Orpheum. Tomato basil soup, halibut and apple strudel where all tasty. One star less for serving my friends' clam chowder soup cold and we had to send them back to be reheated. Other than that small hiccup, experience was good.I would recommend this to a friend.