Market Street Grill - Downtown
48 Market Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84101Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Market Street Grill - Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://marketstreetgrill.com/locations/downtown/
- Phone: 8013224668x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday: 7:00am - 12:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Continental
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Between 300 & 400 South/Main Street & West Temple
- Public Transit: Public transportation, via TRAX light rail and the Utah Transit Authority coach system, is provided into-and-out of downtown Salt Lake City, with the Gallivan Plaza Station only one-half block from The Grill's front door. Travelers should take advantage of the transit system's "Free Fare Zone" in The Grill's downtown area.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Parking is conveniently located on the west side of the building, only a few steps from the entrance to The Market Street Grill. Parking is free for breakfast, lunch and Sunday brunch dining. Valet parking is validated for dinner diners. Ample pay parking lot and metered street parking is also available.
A word from Market Street Grill - Downtown
Since 1980, the Market Street Grill has been rated as Utah’s most popular seafood concept, providing exceptional service and award-winning menu selections. Bustling wait staff and exhibition kitchens contribute to a sparkling, high-energy atmosphere where the best seafood between Seattle and Boston is served in an expansive variety of contemporary dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Market Street Grill - Downtown - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Market Street Grill - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (49)good for groups (25)fit for foodies (25)great for lunch (22)great for brunch (21)neighborhood gem (16)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (4)romantic (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Over-priced sub-par egocentrictastefullywrittenDined on 9/13/2014Once upon a time this seafood paradise was THE Salt Lake dinner spot everyone clamored about. Now the clams should be just plan embarrassed. And the clams you have to fork out are better spent elsewhere. Past its prime and Gastronmy needs to spend some of that money on 5 star chefs and higher quality seafood. I've had better at Red Lobster. . . wait at Red Robin!
- DisappointedseafoodjunkieDined on 9/10/2014I went prepared to love the food and left really disappointed. I come from Boston, and I gotta say, this clam chowder was not great. There were hardly any clams in it...mostly celery, and it just wasn't all that tasty. I had the crab and avocado sandwich, and didn't even finish it. The dressing taste was so strong that it drowned out the crab flavor, and there wasn't much crab on it, anyhow. The shrimp cocktail was a plate of tiny shrimps that had very little flavor...very watery. We didn't finish that either. My friend had the mixed seafood salad and only ate half...said it wasn't very good. I don't plan on returning, which saddens me, as I LOVE seafood and was hoping SLC had a good seafood place.
- San Francisco EastLLSFDined on 9/8/2014As a transplant from "The City," I needed to find a restaurant that gave me the feeling of home. Market Street Grill, Downtown, is the place. It feels like the good old personable places I love. The food is great at dinner time, and the breakfasts are the hidden jewel of the morning crowd. And the cost is wonderfully fair. But most especially pleasing is the friendliness and helpfulness of the wait staff. They definitely tend to the needs of the patrons with knowledge, humor and an invitational attitude. This is the place that is tops on my recommendation list in Salt Lake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always yummy!KrazykayDined on 9/7/2014I have been going to this location for years. It never disappoints. It is my favorite place for eggs benedict; best hollandaise sauce ever!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014We had a group of four, two arrived @ 10:00am & we were seated immediately. We were not served; nor asked for water or coffee until we asked another waiter for service.@'10:15am. After we requested service, the waiter was very attentive.Special Features:
- Best Seafood in the state!msgrillfan14Dined on 9/4/2014We really enjoy the great seafood selections at Market Street. BEST SEAFOOD IN THE STATE!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently fabulous!DinesOutWay2MuchDined on 8/30/2014Made a reservation, got there early and was immediately seated! Service is always good because there is such a high waiter-customer ratio! I'm guessing it's 4 to 1...food is always good, though over-priced, but I was using a birthday coupon (free entree up to $25 with purchase) so it helped...this is one of my favorite places to go because the food is always good, service is always good, wine selection is terrific. They have hands-down the best key line pie dessert in the state. They also have a terrific customer loyalty program, well I have the menu nearly memorized because I have dined there so frequently! Terrific breakfast/brunch also, the best in downtown Salt Lake City...in my opinion...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The music was too loudNewBlackDakDined on 8/29/2014The music was loud enough that it caused communication issues with the server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Seafood1archie1Dined on 8/23/2014Our Birthday celebration meal started with Crab Stuffed Mushrooms which were very well prepared and presented. The flavors of the crab and mushrooms complemented each other with neither overpowering the other. The main course Cioppino was superb with scallops, shrimp, mussels, and tilapia. A wonderful tasty parmesan-covered, flavored toast came on the Cioppino which was useful in rounding up the last few drops of the saucy soup. While eating, we found this to be a very good people watching experience.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Food was excellent. Service was outstanding. Gus was our server. He was very attentive and helpful with recommendations. Location was perfect for downtown event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for fish!mcnormDined on 8/19/2014Very enjoyable. The only negative thought is that the seats are much to close. Had to squeeze in between the tables to take my seat and I could hear the couple's conversation next to us as well as I could hearing ours!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not DisappointedthegirlsDined on 8/17/2014High expectations based on friends recommendations. Was not disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, okay ambianceaikoDined on 8/16/2014I really love the food here, but I really miss the atmosphere of the university restaurant. It seemed more special there, and fit for a special occasion. This one is great, but definitely more of a generic feel, and more crowded feeling. The food was good as usual, except my fish was a bit burnt. Though I lOVE market street grill, we might not go as often because we don't feel quite the same at the downtown restaurant.Special Features:
- Amazing foodShellDined on 8/14/2014Alaskan stuffed Halibut with crab meat - to die for! Our waiter was okay...not really personable. I seriously hate how when you are in the restaurant if you're not at a private table, expect to be seated literally within 10-12 inches of someone right next to you on the table over. It's impossible to have a private conversation even if you're quiet.Special Features:
- Excellent experiencecabbieDined on 8/14/2014Great food and service,kept us in bread and beverages throughout the meal.The salmon was amazing.Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great clam chowderCamillaDined on 8/8/2014We ordered the Atlantic salmon and half of a crab and crabcake for our entrees. The salmon was cooked well (moist), but didn't have much flavor. The crab and crabcake were delicious. So glad we ordered the crab. We also both ordered clam chowder as an appetizer. The chowder was awesome. If I eat here again I will definitely get the chowder again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice seafoodkyenta1Dined on 8/6/2014We used to be regulars at the Market Street University but had never been downtown. Our family visited and remembered the defunct restaurant so we decided to try the downtown location. It was easy to find. Valet parking was great. Service was average but servers seemed overworked. Atmosphere was loud, making conversation difficult. The food was good. The batter on the fishes was nice, light and crispy. The halibut was overcooked, dry & fishy tasting, however. The chowder was average, could be thicker. The signage for the specials was impossible to see from our seat and the waiter did not suggest any specials for us to try so we were limited to the menu. Downstairs restrooms are difficult to access if you have trouble with stairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best seafood in SLC4HonestusVIPDined on 8/5/2014You'll pay a premium for seafood, but you're in landlocked Utah. Good quality and great service. Enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceStellarDined on 7/31/2014Food was great. Noise level was perfect and we enjoyed the service. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We went to market street grill for my husbands birthday and were placed on a 2-set that was literally a foot away from the next 2-set. A little close if you wanted to have an intimate conversation. Our waitress seemed extremely rushed and catered to us and the 2-top next to us like we were all one party, so that was a little strange to have her take our orders simultaneously. Our food was great, made up for the uncomfortable dining/ waitress situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at Market Street GrillLove2dineDined on 7/21/20142 couples, 1 from Salt Lake, 2nd from NY. The out of towners (us)wanted to dine at this restaurant since we were there before. Reservation was for 6:30 however, we arrived early and were seated immediately. We all opted for the early bird specials picking salmon and the fish n chips. Choice of soup or salad, all were fresh and tasty. Entrees were well seasoned, no complaints here. Dessert choices: creme brûlée, chocolate cupcake or ice cream. We all picked ice cream, creamy and delicious. The only complaint is that the waitress was not very friendly, put on a fake smile when serving us then frowned as soon as she dropped off our plates. Maybe she was having a bad day. Will return when back in Salt Lake City because the food is great!Special Features:
- DisappointedAllaboutfoodDined on 7/20/2014Since the 13th East Market Street is closed we went to the Downtown location. When the bread was served we were told our server would be with us shortly. 20 minutes later he finally came for our drink order. We were ready with our our order so to save time we ordered our appetizer and dinner along with our drinks. We waited another long stretch for our drinks. When they came, so did our appetizer and chowder. We really didn't have a chance to enjoy the appetizer and soup before the dinner arrived. So much for a relaxing dinner before the play. There was no butter on the table, the clam chowder (usually our favorite) was runny and lacked flavor, not to mention luke warm. We will not be back.Special Features:
- Used to be betterseecesterDined on 7/19/2014The food here used to be better. We used to go here as a special occasion spot, but we will not be coming back for a while.
- First time not outstandingdiningwithfriendsDined on 7/18/2014I have dined at each of the Market Street locations multiple times over the past several years and this is the first time that the food was less than outstanding. The chowder, even on a hot day, is still great however the king salmon filet I ordered was just ok and was very small for the price. The potatoes and brussel sprouts that came with the salmon were also forgettable.Special Features:
- Very Pleased, But...wifelovesfishDined on 6/27/2014We loved everything about our experience with you guys the other day. The only concern that I had was my steak was on the cold side when it was served to me.Special Features:
- DisappointingBillHVIPDined on 6/22/2014Service was very slow. Food was poor. Prices were high.Special Features:
- As always, amazing foodUtoxinDined on 6/21/2014I've eaten here off and on over the years, and I've never been disappointed. The food is always excellent, and even when it's busy and crowded service is fast and friendly. If you get in when it's not busy, it's even better. I highly recommend the Seared Ahi Tuna if it's in season. Perfectly seasoned, and very tasty. And for desert, the Raspberry Almond Torte is delicious and light.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good lunchMalofatoeDined on 6/20/2014For the first time I didn't actually order any seafood here. I ordered a bleu cheese bacon burger. And that's exactly what it was. It was very good, though I would have like some lettuce and tomato. I could have asked for it I'm sure, but was hungry and just wanted to dig right in. The fries were awesome. The service, as always, was great. The company was wonderful ;)Special Features:
- A favorite!Sunny2Dined on 6/15/2014We love Sunday brunch but always have an awesome meal and professional service. The on-line reservations make it quick and easy.Special Features:
- Great place!ShawnDined on 6/14/2014Market Street is a great place with really great food. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable with regard to the food and appropriate wine pairings. For a city located far from the ocean their freshly delivered (daily I think) seafood is a excellent.Special Features:
- Always good mealsejemplosDined on 6/14/2014We went to Market Street for dinner and got the fresh Halibut that is flown in each day. It was prepared in a wonderful way and the food was excellent. Service is always attentive without being overbearing. If you like fish Market Street offers fresh selections.....this time we got the Oysters and the Halibut. Can't go wrong at Market Street.
- anonDined on 6/11/2014salmon was undercooked, vegetable served was Brussels sprouts which was the hardness of a marble
- Great seafood downtownNavyAuntDined on 6/10/2014Always a great selection of fresh fish. I had the Seafood Florentine with big chunks of halibut, crab and shrimp - delicious. Our server was pretty busy so service wasn't as prompt as usual, but still OK. I was glad I used Open Table for a reservation, as many people were waiting for a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as AlwaysBradDined on 6/7/2014Brunch at my favorite dinner spot was excellent. Our group all enjoyed their meals with top marks going to the eggs benedict.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another good experiencesugarnspiceDined on 5/23/2014I have dined at Market Street Grill several times and had a pleasant experience every time. The delicious clam chowder and sourdough bread make a great start to the meal. I am not the biggest fan of salmon but decided to order it as part of the Early Bird Special. WOW! I ate every single bite of it and wished there was more. My dining companion had a problem with his dish. The servers brought him out a replacement and were very helpful all throughout the meal. The noise level was pretty high, but it was 6:30 on a Friday night. The restaurant was all but packed. I would definitely recommend dining here. If you go for the Early Bird Special, get the salmon. You won't regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 362 reviews are from the Market Street Grill - Downtown reviews archive.
- DisappointingSaltlaker79Dined on 5/19/2014Dinner on 5/19. Host did not comply with our table request. Server was not friendly or attentive. Fish was very over-cooked. Our reservation was at 5:30 and the restaurant was not busy, no excuses.
- Dinner with FamilyOldGoatDined on 5/13/2014Met with my brother and wives for diner prior to the play. Had excellent food and great service. We were not rushed and able talk and enjoy the restaurant and companySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood in SLCIlikeithotDined on 5/11/2014Market St Grill is a great place to go in SLC for seafood in the downtown area. The prices are moderately high but the quality is excellent. They consistently have excellent meals. I recommend any of the fresh fish and the seafood salads are also one of the best meals on the menu for the price.Special Features:
- Going downhillfoodiejennDined on 5/11/2014This is usually a spot we frequent. The last few times have let us down. The fish tasted shall I say "off". Crab cakes were missing crab and my dinner salad had those "rusty" red pieces, an indication that it might not be the freshest. Service and ambiance still excellent. With a $175.00 check less the crab cakes, I would've expected better.
- Forever favoriteTraditionDined on 5/11/2014My family has been enjoying Market Street for many years now. It's always been a place where we've gone to celebrate special occasions, along with a simple 'just because'. Our favorite was Market Street by the U, but have always enjoyed the downtown location as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.