Market Street Grill - Downtown
48 Market Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84101Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Market Street Grill - Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://marketstreetgrill.com/locations/downtown/
- Phone: (801) 322-4668
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday: 7:00am - 12:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Continental
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Between 300 & 400 South/Main Street & West Temple
- Public Transit: Public transportation, via TRAX light rail and the Utah Transit Authority coach system, is provided into-and-out of downtown Salt Lake City, with the Gallivan Plaza Station only one-half block from The Grill's front door. Travelers should take advantage of the transit system's "Free Fare Zone" in The Grill's downtown area.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Parking is conveniently located on the west side of the building, only a few steps from the entrance to The Market Street Grill. Parking is free for breakfast, lunch and Sunday brunch dining. Valet parking is validated for dinner diners. Ample pay parking lot and metered street parking is also available.
A word from Market Street Grill - Downtown
Since 1980, the Market Street Grill has been rated as Utah’s most popular seafood concept, providing exceptional service and award-winning menu selections. Bustling wait staff and exhibition kitchens contribute to a sparkling, high-energy atmosphere where the best seafood between Seattle and Boston is served in an expansive variety of contemporary dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Market Street Grill - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (45)fit for foodies (31)good for groups (28)great for lunch (25)great for brunch (21)neighborhood gem (17)hot spot (14)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (5)notable wine list (3)scenic view (2)romantic (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- simply terribleJWongDined on 11/21/2014I expected a well reviewed seafood restaurant like market street grill to be better. The quality and taste was actually worse than reheated frozen aisle seafood. About the only thing that was decent, were the oysters.
- Great drinks and oysters.JohnDDined on 11/12/2014A really enjoyable, friendly restaurant. Very professional wait staff. You will leave very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- like2eatDined on 11/7/2014This is one is one of our favorite restaurants. We can always count on nice atmosphere and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic, as always.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2014My mother was in town and we stopped in for dinner before the Jazz game. (Go Cavs!) Our server was Dominic; what an excellent gentleman. He was on top of everything. Thank you Dominic! I wish I could dine with you more, you are truly the best in the city- although I have a favoritism for the Cottonwood location. Could not ask for better cocktails, (High West Manhattan is my favorite) environment, food and service. I appreciate all the effort put in by each member of the staff. Keep it up- I will see you soon:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modified Breakfast MenuSadie715VIPDined on 11/2/2014We used to love to go to Market Street Grill for breakfast because they had so many options. I'm allergic to eggs and we have friends who don't eat seafood, but we've found there's always something on the menu for everyone. However, on our last trip, we noticed a drastic decrease in the options available, providing almost solely eggs benedict and one or two other egg options. The prices also increased even though they were already pricy to begin with. I love Market Street for dinner, but I won't be going back for breakfast anytime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food but...BobRDined on 10/31/2014Food was good although my Opa was initially served raw (cold on the inside). A new meal was prepared and served but after my wife was nearly done. My big complaint is our server was terrible. He stood and waited for me to choose a wine after providing a wine list. He did not clear plates before bringing the next course, rather tried to clear the old plate while serving the new. I don't expect much but this was bad service!
- Wouldn't recommend it!AppreciatesgreatfoodDined on 10/25/2014Worse meal. Hubby ordered steak/ lobster dinner, medium rare for steak. Sent steak back twice and still wasn't right, first time Burnt well done, second steak very rare, middle cold. My coconut shrimp was cold, dry and overlooked. Waitress would hand us items over a rail instead of walking up a small step. $120.00 dinner and I came home and ate yogurt and slice of toast. We were celebrating Ron's 65th birthday, not a word mentioned. Extremely disappointed, will never go back!
- YummDined on 10/24/2014We had a fantastic time. The food was so yummy. The waiter was on top of things. ANd there were 7 of us.Special Features:
- Restaurant has raised its standardsZoeandLotusDined on 10/24/2014Market Street Grill seems to have reverted back to its previous high standards. I feel it went through a period where the food was mediocre. Over the past year, we have left the restaurant expressing our satisfaction with the quality of food and our pleasure at the taste of the entrees and the sides. I did try their wine on tap, though, and felt the quality of wine was so-so and thought the process was perhaps gimmicky and overpriced. The service from the front desk to being escorted to our table to our table-side waiter was top drawer. Our waiter especially was excellent! Overall, a delightful evening.Special Features:
- glennDined on 10/17/2014My filet mignon was better than the steak I had had at Wolfgang Puck's "Cut Restaraunt" in Vegas a few days prior! Great service and great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014I ordered the Shrimp and Scallops. It came with shrimp but not a one scallop. I had to wait til my server came back to ask how our meal was and by then I wasn't even hungry. She did bring me a whole new order. I felt that the price didn't match the food or service. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Still greatSuzeVIPDined on 10/9/2014We've been going to Market Street Grill for over 20 years, and it's still a great place. I think they have the best clam chowder anywhere. It's a bit pricey now, but for fresh fish in Salt Lake City, it can't be ebat.
- Market St. GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Took my Girlfriend for our monthly anniversary celebration, and it wasn't the greatest dinner we've had. The food is great from past experiences, yet there are certain items on the menu that aren't worth it. For example any shrimp dish, or the San Francisco ciappino. The oysters and fish are phenomenal though.Special Features:
- So friendlyfoodievickieVIPDined on 10/2/2014With a wonderful wait staff this is always a pleasure to come to. Fish is fresh and tasty. Big portions!Special Features:
- King crab and chowder are the bestloveseafoodandJapaneseDined on 9/26/2014I have traveled to many places in the world and eaten a lot of seafood. But I have to say, the chowder and the king crab at Market Street are the best I have had anywhere. It's ironic that would be the case for a restaurant in Salt Lake City, far from any oceans, but that's my experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, as usualsheff511Dined on 9/26/2014We had a delicious meal that was served hot, promptly and to our specifications. We will go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2eatDined on 9/16/2014The food is always fresh and well-presented. The service was great as well.Special Features:
- Over-priced sub-par egocentrictastefullywrittenDined on 9/13/2014Once upon a time this seafood paradise was THE Salt Lake dinner spot everyone clamored about. Now the clams should be just plan embarrassed. And the clams you have to fork out are better spent elsewhere. Past its prime and Gastronmy needs to spend some of that money on 5 star chefs and higher quality seafood. I've had better at Red Lobster. . . wait at Red Robin!
- DisappointedseafoodjunkieDined on 9/10/2014I went prepared to love the food and left really disappointed. I come from Boston, and I gotta say, this clam chowder was not great. There were hardly any clams in it...mostly celery, and it just wasn't all that tasty. I had the crab and avocado sandwich, and didn't even finish it. The dressing taste was so strong that it drowned out the crab flavor, and there wasn't much crab on it, anyhow. The shrimp cocktail was a plate of tiny shrimps that had very little flavor...very watery. We didn't finish that either. My friend had the mixed seafood salad and only ate half...said it wasn't very good. I don't plan on returning, which saddens me, as I LOVE seafood and was hoping SLC had a good seafood place.
- San Francisco EastLLSFDined on 9/8/2014As a transplant from "The City," I needed to find a restaurant that gave me the feeling of home. Market Street Grill, Downtown, is the place. It feels like the good old personable places I love. The food is great at dinner time, and the breakfasts are the hidden jewel of the morning crowd. And the cost is wonderfully fair. But most especially pleasing is the friendliness and helpfulness of the wait staff. They definitely tend to the needs of the patrons with knowledge, humor and an invitational attitude. This is the place that is tops on my recommendation list in Salt Lake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always yummy!KrazykayDined on 9/7/2014I have been going to this location for years. It never disappoints. It is my favorite place for eggs benedict; best hollandaise sauce ever!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014We had a group of four, two arrived @ 10:00am & we were seated immediately. We were not served; nor asked for water or coffee until we asked another waiter for service.@'10:15am. After we requested service, the waiter was very attentive.Special Features:
- Best Seafood in the state!msgrillfan14Dined on 9/4/2014We really enjoy the great seafood selections at Market Street. BEST SEAFOOD IN THE STATE!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently fabulous!DinesOutWay2MuchDined on 8/30/2014Made a reservation, got there early and was immediately seated! Service is always good because there is such a high waiter-customer ratio! I'm guessing it's 4 to 1...food is always good, though over-priced, but I was using a birthday coupon (free entree up to $25 with purchase) so it helped...this is one of my favorite places to go because the food is always good, service is always good, wine selection is terrific. They have hands-down the best key line pie dessert in the state. They also have a terrific customer loyalty program, well I have the menu nearly memorized because I have dined there so frequently! Terrific breakfast/brunch also, the best in downtown Salt Lake City...in my opinion...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The music was too loudNewBlackDakDined on 8/29/2014The music was loud enough that it caused communication issues with the server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Seafood1archie1Dined on 8/23/2014Our Birthday celebration meal started with Crab Stuffed Mushrooms which were very well prepared and presented. The flavors of the crab and mushrooms complemented each other with neither overpowering the other. The main course Cioppino was superb with scallops, shrimp, mussels, and tilapia. A wonderful tasty parmesan-covered, flavored toast came on the Cioppino which was useful in rounding up the last few drops of the saucy soup. While eating, we found this to be a very good people watching experience.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Food was excellent. Service was outstanding. Gus was our server. He was very attentive and helpful with recommendations. Location was perfect for downtown event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for fish!mcnormDined on 8/19/2014Very enjoyable. The only negative thought is that the seats are much to close. Had to squeeze in between the tables to take my seat and I could hear the couple's conversation next to us as well as I could hearing ours!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not DisappointedthegirlsDined on 8/17/2014High expectations based on friends recommendations. Was not disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, okay ambianceaikoDined on 8/16/2014I really love the food here, but I really miss the atmosphere of the university restaurant. It seemed more special there, and fit for a special occasion. This one is great, but definitely more of a generic feel, and more crowded feeling. The food was good as usual, except my fish was a bit burnt. Though I lOVE market street grill, we might not go as often because we don't feel quite the same at the downtown restaurant.Special Features:
- Amazing foodShellDined on 8/14/2014Alaskan stuffed Halibut with crab meat - to die for! Our waiter was okay...not really personable. I seriously hate how when you are in the restaurant if you're not at a private table, expect to be seated literally within 10-12 inches of someone right next to you on the table over. It's impossible to have a private conversation even if you're quiet.Special Features:
- Excellent experiencecabbieDined on 8/14/2014Great food and service,kept us in bread and beverages throughout the meal.The salmon was amazing.Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great clam chowderCamillaDined on 8/8/2014We ordered the Atlantic salmon and half of a crab and crabcake for our entrees. The salmon was cooked well (moist), but didn't have much flavor. The crab and crabcake were delicious. So glad we ordered the crab. We also both ordered clam chowder as an appetizer. The chowder was awesome. If I eat here again I will definitely get the chowder again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice seafoodkyenta1Dined on 8/6/2014We used to be regulars at the Market Street University but had never been downtown. Our family visited and remembered the defunct restaurant so we decided to try the downtown location. It was easy to find. Valet parking was great. Service was average but servers seemed overworked. Atmosphere was loud, making conversation difficult. The food was good. The batter on the fishes was nice, light and crispy. The halibut was overcooked, dry & fishy tasting, however. The chowder was average, could be thicker. The signage for the specials was impossible to see from our seat and the waiter did not suggest any specials for us to try so we were limited to the menu. Downstairs restrooms are difficult to access if you have trouble with stairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best seafood in SLC4HonestusVIPDined on 8/5/2014You'll pay a premium for seafood, but you're in landlocked Utah. Good quality and great service. Enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceStellarDined on 7/31/2014Food was great. Noise level was perfect and we enjoyed the service. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 378 reviews are from the Market Street Grill - Downtown reviews archive.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We went to market street grill for my husbands birthday and were placed on a 2-set that was literally a foot away from the next 2-set. A little close if you wanted to have an intimate conversation. Our waitress seemed extremely rushed and catered to us and the 2-top next to us like we were all one party, so that was a little strange to have her take our orders simultaneously. Our food was great, made up for the uncomfortable dining/ waitress situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at Market Street GrillLove2dineDined on 7/21/20142 couples, 1 from Salt Lake, 2nd from NY. The out of towners (us)wanted to dine at this restaurant since we were there before. Reservation was for 6:30 however, we arrived early and were seated immediately. We all opted for the early bird specials picking salmon and the fish n chips. Choice of soup or salad, all were fresh and tasty. Entrees were well seasoned, no complaints here. Dessert choices: creme brûlée, chocolate cupcake or ice cream. We all picked ice cream, creamy and delicious. The only complaint is that the waitress was not very friendly, put on a fake smile when serving us then frowned as soon as she dropped off our plates. Maybe she was having a bad day. Will return when back in Salt Lake City because the food is great!Special Features:
- DisappointedAllaboutfoodDined on 7/20/2014Since the 13th East Market Street is closed we went to the Downtown location. When the bread was served we were told our server would be with us shortly. 20 minutes later he finally came for our drink order. We were ready with our our order so to save time we ordered our appetizer and dinner along with our drinks. We waited another long stretch for our drinks. When they came, so did our appetizer and chowder. We really didn't have a chance to enjoy the appetizer and soup before the dinner arrived. So much for a relaxing dinner before the play. There was no butter on the table, the clam chowder (usually our favorite) was runny and lacked flavor, not to mention luke warm. We will not be back.Special Features:
- Used to be betterseecesterDined on 7/19/2014The food here used to be better. We used to go here as a special occasion spot, but we will not be coming back for a while.