1347 Main Street
St. Helena, CA 94574Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marketsthelena.com/
- Phone: (707) 963-3799
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Saturday: 11:30am-5:00pm Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 5:00pm-9:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm-10:00pm Brunch: Sunday 10:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eduardo E. Martinez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Market Restaurant is available for off-site culinary experiences. Please give us a call to discuss your next event!
- Special Events: Large parties welcome. Please call the restaurant directly to receive more information.
A word from Market
Market Restaurant offers an elegant yet comfortable dining experience. Located on Main Street in St. Helena, the historical building features exposed stone walls and an antique bar dating back to the turn of the century. The menu features American classics with a fresh seasonal approach and the wine list offers a diverse selection of wines to complement Chef’s creations, with an emphasis on wines from local Napa Valley vintners.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Market - Best Restaurants in St. Helena ›
Market reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (121)neighborhood gem (115)great for lunch (69)notable wine list (61)special occasion (60)romantic (52)hot spot (36)great for brunch (35)good for groups (29)kid-friendly (17)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (11)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Lunchtime delightSuesueDined on 11/22/2014Found this recommendation and thought we'd give it a try. What a great find. The food was amazing with tasty, fresh ingredients presented beautifully. The asparagus/spinach soup was flavor some and very hot. I had the fish tacos, so many tastebuds were stimulated, hubby had the Tuna sandwich, same response there. We finished with the butterscotch pudding which just melts in your mouth. Truly delightful meal/lunch. Great service too.Special Features:
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/21/2014Our forth time eating here. It has been consistently top quality from hamburgers to their most extravagant dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't get any betterKatieDined on 11/20/2014This was a warm, inviting local restaurant that we knew we'd have a hard time choosing what to order off the menu because there were so many mouth watering options. The owner sat us and our waiter was attentive, knowledgable and relaxed. Everything we ordered was...yum! Starting with the Lobster Rolls and Ahi Two Ways to the short ribs and Mac n cheese-all outstanding! We will be back every time we visit St Helena!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuntMeemVIPDined on 11/20/2014good as usual. We especially like Market for lunch although their dinner menu is also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A St. Helena must!realcablondeDined on 11/15/2014We love that Market's foods is both delicious and accessible. Think gourmet comfort food - always a winner. Plus it's aesthetically lovely with a stunning antique bar and rock walls. Cozy and romantic, we just keep coming back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WinengoodjunkiesVIPDined on 11/15/2014Lobster roll appetizer fresh and enjoyable. Fish tacos good but needed more greens. Pleasant server and good service. Very nice choice for a special lunch. WinengoodjunkiesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second Time ... Still a Charm!WineTempSnobVIPDined on 11/14/2014This was our second time to Market...and it was just as great as the first. Despite the Film Festival, our reserved table was ready on time. We all ordered different items so that we could share, and the winning plate was the fried chicken. The short ribs were magical, and also very deep and rich.The salmon was done to perfection sitting on top of wonderful brussels sprouts! As it was our last night in Napa, we decided to throw caution to the wind and ordered a side of the decadent macaroni and cheese for the table...a must!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True meaning of a neighborhood gemConosseurVIPDined on 11/10/2014Outstanding food, excellent wine list and superb service.Special Features:
- Always greatShaferdudeVIPDined on 11/9/2014We only get to Napa once a year but we always go to Market at least twice during our visit. This visit was awesome as always. It is a beautiful space for a restaurant, and the service and food are always top notch. Even though we only can come once a year, the staff still rembers us and makes us fee at home. Great wine list with reasonably priced selections. Food is always wonderful with a wide variety to chose from. You can't beat Market!Special Features:
- Love this placeLS2014Dined on 11/7/2014The service was outstanding & my dietary restrictions were easily handled. The food was absolutely delicious and creative. Lovely setting. My friends enjoyed the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nov 1, 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/2/2014Excllent mix of menu items. We started with lobster wrapped in rice paper with papaya and asparagus. It was served in the roll like sushi cut into pieces. Then had the Caesar Salad which was a bit garlicky for our tastes. Garlic types would love it. Then split an order of fish and chips which was excellent. Finally had pineapple sorbet and butterscotch pudding. No complaints. Nice comfortable setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ST Helena GemNapastyleVIPDined on 11/1/2014We love Market and have appreciated the food for some time but our last visit was just spectacular. The warmth and service of this restaurant combined with the amazing food make it a true gem inside St. Helena. We also love the no corkage policy that allows customers to bring their own wine in to dine. Note that market does have an amazing wine list and mixologist for cocktails. Favorites for us are still the fried chicken, Cesar and crab Louie salad and of course the butterscotch pudding and chocolate lava cake. The burger is also one of the best around. Fine dining to elegant comfort food make the kitchen showcase the food. We celebrated a special birthday and had ages 10-75. Everyone was thrilled. Thank you to the entire team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic mealPoorplumberDined on 11/1/2014Our waiter Alphy was describing the menu and it was like you could taste the food as he described it. Making choices was quite difficult due to the fact everything sounded great. Had lobster roll starter unbelievable , had spare rib dinner , my wife had filet both out of this world .butterscotch pudding for dessert perfect meal. Needed to try something else on menu went back two nights later wonderful once again. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- maitre djschVIPDined on 10/31/2014was excellent. truly cared i ll be back just to see him. food was just ok
- Excellent food, great staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014There are a lot of restaurants in town and I'm glad we choose The Market. The ambiance was romantic and great for couples or small parties. The menu has a nice mix of foods including nicely prepared comfort dishes to more sophisticated entres for foodies. We had the lamb shank which was excellent. This was a good size shank that was slow cooked so the meat fell off the bone. It was very tender and flavorful. We also had the short ribs which were fantastic. Again, slow cooked and incredibly flavorful. The wait staff was very attentive, knowledgable, and friendly. Our waiter, Ozzie, was the best. The combination made a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/25/2014Service was lacking, had to ask for our server after he disappeared, a manager took over. The food came very fast, before our drinks. We had to remind server/manager about drinks. Overall not a bad experience, just wish our server had give us the attention that his other tables got, we probably would have ordered more wine and drinks if he had been around.Special Features:
- ContentedContentedDined on 10/25/2014We go here often, and are never disappointed. It's not 3 star dining, but it really is very, very good, and very affordable. Particularly when you factor in there's no corkage fee. How great is that?? Thanks, guys, as always.Special Features:
- NapaLocalVIPDined on 10/25/2014I have been going to Market for several years, and it has consistently high quality and service. A Napa valley favorite.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, fresh foodNYCfoodieVIPDined on 10/24/2014I eat a late lunch here every time I visit Napa, and am never disappointed. I am from the east coast, and I crave their crab cake appitizer - very light, with fresh corn and a little heat, wish we could get them here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd Definitely Repeat!Exit98DianeDined on 10/22/2014I planned on starting Happy Hour with the place (starts with an "A") just a few door away from Market, only to learn that my arriving 15 minutes before opening (doors open and staff on hand) wasn't acceptable. Now early for my Market reservation, they apologized that they weren't quite ready yet but gave me a table and offered me a drink. Just 4 people at the bar, two having an interesting conversation, and I automatically felt at home. Started with the Tiger Prawns and they were awesome. Three sauces on the side, coated in a really light batter that crunched away so all I really tasted were the prawns. Next up was the Caesar salad, it was served like a tower, and not overly dressed. I decided to go with the fried chicken entree as I was craving some comfort food even though some reviewers complained about too much gravy. I didn't find that to be the case. Chicken hit the spot but TBH, next time (and there will be another time) I'd go with something else. Overall? Service was attentive but not overly so and Market was one of the meal highlights of this trip to Napa. As I said, I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Affordable Upscale Comfort FoodoldsilverDined on 10/21/2014Great food ! Fabulous waiter. Great Prices. Bring your own wine - no fee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrifDined on 10/20/2014Great food with excellent service. Very friendly and relaxed atmosphere. We were seated immediately by the window which was a perfect table for two. The crab Louis was delicious and my husband had the prime rib which he is still raving about. Could selection of wines. Would return to try more dishes.Special Features:
- Tried one of everything on MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We had a great dinner...We tried the oysters and steak appetizer, squash soup and oysters, 3 main entrees and two desserts (the butterscotch pudding was wonderful) and all it of it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stay With DinnerDissappointedDined on 10/18/2014I've eaten at Market several times for dinner and have always been very pleased. However, after trying an impromptu lunch there, I am not so sure I would do it again. My wife had the watmelon salad that was very good, but the oyster po-boy was a major disappointment. Served on a dry hamburger bun, the rest of the sandwich matched with three medium sized oysters that tasted like they had been last night's leftovers. Ugh. It was actually bad - and such a disappointment considering everything else that I have eaten there.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The food was exceptional and the service was superb. My husband and I have been here several time and everything we have ordered has been great. We also like that there is no corkage charge at the Market and every server we have had has been excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on the BlockOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/15/2014You should be ashamed of yourself if you ever pass up on this restaurant. I can't say enough wonderful things about this place. Between the cute, cozy tables, the perfectly cooked, well balanced dishes, to the servers and owner who work their tails off here to provide the upmost perfect service, Market might be one of the best restaurants on the block. Knowing that it is a smaller place, don't mind the small wait you may have to encounter. Relax, have a drink at the bar, they will not forget you. Macaroni and cheese, to die for, chopped salad, delicious, perfectly cooked filet, impressive and you can make your own s'mores?!? Sold! Do not overlook this place, a promise is a promise, Market just does not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating in wine countryEATS4BB3VIPDined on 10/13/2014All our dishes were good, my niece has just enrolled in the CIA so I expected better so close to the School. Will be trying other restaurants in the area before I go back. the people were great, got there early, no problem, asked for a half mac-n-cheese, no problemSpecial Features:
- Always Wonderful!LuvGrdntotbleDined on 10/11/2014We had a fantastic dinner at Market on Saturday night. Our meal selections ranged from steak to salmon and everyone was pleased. The waiter was knowledgeable and the chopped salad was to-die-for as always. If you want a sure bet, time and time again, this restaurant never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Had a nice a relaxing lunch with a couple of friends from out of town. The service, atmosphere, food and overall experience was very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceChicagoanDined on 10/10/2014Noisy place but good atmosphere. Locals and tourists. We two tourists had reservations (a must!) on a busy October Friday night. VERY attentive at first...then larger tables came and our waiter was just lost to us. I think he was pacing our meal for us, which was great, but then with the larger tables forgot to put in our main courses? How else to explain other tables in other sections coming after and leaving before?? We sat and sat...finally asked the manager/host and within 10 mins our food came. NO APOLOGY at all, which would have helped. Crab cakes, awesome. Market salad, great. Salmon, delicious. No corkage fee for first bottle. Nice. I'd return for the deliciousness, but on a weeknight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food/Unattentive ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/10/2014Decided on "Market" based on other reviews. Food was exceptional, but service was terrible. With so many other great restaurants in St. Helena, I will not return to "Market".
- dreadfulJoanVIPDined on 10/7/2014worst meal in years soggy corn bread, burnt chicken with plastic crust which waitress did not even charge for.....all companions equally unhappy
- Wonderful Last Evening in Napa..SkinFlickVIPDined on 10/6/2014What an incredible restaurant! Great cocktails and wine list. Great specials.. Fried Green Tomatoes and Fried Prawn appetizers were both awesome. None of us had any complaints about any of our entrees. Filet - fantastic, Fish and Chips - great (not greasy), Rosie Organic Chicken (both fried and roasted) - equally wonderful. Our waiter, Jessie, was fabulous and very attentive. Don't forget the famous butterscotch pudding for dessert. One of the other waiters refused to let us leave without trying it! Thank you handsome stranger. :-) Super cute place right in downtown St. Helena! Hope it's still there and as good next time we come to the Napa Valley!tSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dinner ExperienceValeriDined on 10/5/2014Our first dinner in St. Helena was at Market, and what a terrific way to start. Our server recommended an excellent Robert Foley Pinot and we had the special of Tiger prawns on a delicious basil mashed potato. Every dish we tried was beautifully presented and just as tasty. The next time I am in St. Helena, Market is at the top of my list of places to eat again.Special Features:
- Lunch in the wine countryluvfoodVIPDined on 10/4/2014My husband & I had a late lunch. Service is good; atmosphere is good. I ordered the Mac & Cheese which was a bit disappointing. There were about 3 specks of bacon in it. The noodles were cooked well, sauce consistently was good but not enough cheesy flavor. Plus the lack of bacon. My husband had the swordfish special that day and it was wonderful. Flavorful sauce, fish cooked perfectly. Next time if I go back, I will try the fried chicken which looked delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceDorothyandBrianDined on 10/3/2014We had an excellent meal and the service from Annie was first class. We would recomend this establishment for anyone visiting St Helena.Special Features:
- Regular Napa Valley visitorTHECOSVIPDined on 9/29/2014The Market continues to be great. Great food. Great wine. Attentive service. A must if you are staying near St Helena.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentJohnCVIPDined on 9/28/2014Market focuses on outstanding ingredients that are not fussily prepared. The menu is solid from top to bottom and changes every six weeks or so. Specials are particularly good. Standards include a lamb shank with zinfandel and salmon or halibut--all always excellent. Some have suggested that other options in the area for the same price are better choices, but I disagree. Terra is a different caliber and a different experience, higher end dining. Market outperforms Cindy's, Mustard's, Archetype and Tra Vigne. One of its top features is not so much zero corkage, which is nice, but an outstanding local wine list with average markups from wholesale of around $10 per bottle. A true bargain. Service is always attentive and personal.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening at Market !HappyDinerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Eddie was ever-present on the floor as usual....and Jesse was great as our server for a second time. Great job guys. Had the prawns as an app and short ribs for my entree.....wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okTravelLoverDined on 9/24/2014Nice atmosphere, friendly staff, food was just ok, well presented, but no wow factor. Table service was mediocre. Prices were in line with others in area. There are too many other places in the Valley that are better. If Market is to compete, they need to step it up. It was not bad, just ok.