1347 Main Street
St. Helena, CA 94574Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marketsthelena.com/
- Phone: 7079633799
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Saturday: 11:30am-5:00pm Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 5:00pm-9:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm-10:00pm Brunch: Sunday 10:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eduardo E. Martinez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Market Restaurant is available for off-site culinary experiences. Please give us a call to discuss your next event!
- Special Events: Large parties welcome. Please call the restaurant directly to receive more information.
A word from Market
Market Restaurant offers an elegant yet comfortable dining experience. Located on Main Street in St. Helena, the historical building features exposed stone walls and an antique bar dating back to the turn of the century. The menu features American classics with a fresh seasonal approach and the wine list offers a diverse selection of wines to complement Chef’s creations, with an emphasis on wines from local Napa Valley vintners.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Market - Best Restaurants in St. Helena ›
Market reviews from OpenTable diners
206 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (119)neighborhood gem (116)great for lunch (60)special occasion (59)notable wine list (58)romantic (47)great for brunch (34)hot spot (32)good for groups (26)vibrant bar scene (18)kid-friendly (17)late-night find (11)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent food, great staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014There are a lot of restaurants in town and I'm glad we choose The Market. The ambiance was romantic and great for couples or small parties. The menu has a nice mix of foods including nicely prepared comfort dishes to more sophisticated entres for foodies. We had the lamb shank which was excellent. This was a good size shank that was slow cooked so the meat fell off the bone. It was very tender and flavorful. We also had the short ribs which were fantastic. Again, slow cooked and incredibly flavorful. The wait staff was very attentive, knowledgable, and friendly. Our waiter, Ozzie, was the best. The combination made a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/25/2014Service was lacking, had to ask for our server after he disappeared, a manager took over. The food came very fast, before our drinks. We had to remind server/manager about drinks. Overall not a bad experience, just wish our server had give us the attention that his other tables got, we probably would have ordered more wine and drinks if he had been around.Special Features:
- ContentedContentedDined on 10/25/2014We go here often, and are never disappointed. It's not 3 star dining, but it really is very, very good, and very affordable. Particularly when you factor in there's no corkage fee. How great is that?? Thanks, guys, as always.Special Features:
- NapaLocalVIPDined on 10/25/2014I have been going to Market for several years, and it has consistently high quality and service. A Napa valley favorite.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, fresh foodNYCfoodieVIPDined on 10/24/2014I eat a late lunch here every time I visit Napa, and am never disappointed. I am from the east coast, and I crave their crab cake appitizer - very light, with fresh corn and a little heat, wish we could get them here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Affordable Upscale Comfort FoodoldsilverDined on 10/21/2014Great food ! Fabulous waiter. Great Prices. Bring your own wine - no fee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrifDined on 10/20/2014Great food with excellent service. Very friendly and relaxed atmosphere. We were seated immediately by the window which was a perfect table for two. The crab Louis was delicious and my husband had the prime rib which he is still raving about. Could selection of wines. Would return to try more dishes.Special Features:
- Tried one of everything on MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We had a great dinner...We tried the oysters and steak appetizer, squash soup and oysters, 3 main entrees and two desserts (the butterscotch pudding was wonderful) and all it of it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stay With DinnerDissappointedDined on 10/18/2014I've eaten at Market several times for dinner and have always been very pleased. However, after trying an impromptu lunch there, I am not so sure I would do it again. My wife had the watmelon salad that was very good, but the oyster po-boy was a major disappointment. Served on a dry hamburger bun, the rest of the sandwich matched with three medium sized oysters that tasted like they had been last night's leftovers. Ugh. It was actually bad - and such a disappointment considering everything else that I have eaten there.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The food was exceptional and the service was superb. My husband and I have been here several time and everything we have ordered has been great. We also like that there is no corkage charge at the Market and every server we have had has been excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on the BlockOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/15/2014You should be ashamed of yourself if you ever pass up on this restaurant. I can't say enough wonderful things about this place. Between the cute, cozy tables, the perfectly cooked, well balanced dishes, to the servers and owner who work their tails off here to provide the upmost perfect service, Market might be one of the best restaurants on the block. Knowing that it is a smaller place, don't mind the small wait you may have to encounter. Relax, have a drink at the bar, they will not forget you. Macaroni and cheese, to die for, chopped salad, delicious, perfectly cooked filet, impressive and you can make your own s'mores?!? Sold! Do not overlook this place, a promise is a promise, Market just does not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating in wine countryEATS4BB3VIPDined on 10/13/2014All our dishes were good, my niece has just enrolled in the CIA so I expected better so close to the School. Will be trying other restaurants in the area before I go back. the people were great, got there early, no problem, asked for a half mac-n-cheese, no problemSpecial Features:
- Always Wonderful!LuvGrdntotbleDined on 10/11/2014We had a fantastic dinner at Market on Saturday night. Our meal selections ranged from steak to salmon and everyone was pleased. The waiter was knowledgeable and the chopped salad was to-die-for as always. If you want a sure bet, time and time again, this restaurant never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Had a nice a relaxing lunch with a couple of friends from out of town. The service, atmosphere, food and overall experience was very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceChicagoanDined on 10/10/2014Noisy place but good atmosphere. Locals and tourists. We two tourists had reservations (a must!) on a busy October Friday night. VERY attentive at first...then larger tables came and our waiter was just lost to us. I think he was pacing our meal for us, which was great, but then with the larger tables forgot to put in our main courses? How else to explain other tables in other sections coming after and leaving before?? We sat and sat...finally asked the manager/host and within 10 mins our food came. NO APOLOGY at all, which would have helped. Crab cakes, awesome. Market salad, great. Salmon, delicious. No corkage fee for first bottle. Nice. I'd return for the deliciousness, but on a weeknight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food/Unattentive ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/10/2014Decided on "Market" based on other reviews. Food was exceptional, but service was terrible. With so many other great restaurants in St. Helena, I will not return to "Market".
- dreadfulJoanVIPDined on 10/7/2014worst meal in years soggy corn bread, burnt chicken with plastic crust which waitress did not even charge for.....all companions equally unhappy
- Wonderful Last Evening in Napa..SkinFlickVIPDined on 10/6/2014What an incredible restaurant! Great cocktails and wine list. Great specials.. Fried Green Tomatoes and Fried Prawn appetizers were both awesome. None of us had any complaints about any of our entrees. Filet - fantastic, Fish and Chips - great (not greasy), Rosie Organic Chicken (both fried and roasted) - equally wonderful. Our waiter, Jessie, was fabulous and very attentive. Don't forget the famous butterscotch pudding for dessert. One of the other waiters refused to let us leave without trying it! Thank you handsome stranger. :-) Super cute place right in downtown St. Helena! Hope it's still there and as good next time we come to the Napa Valley!tSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dinner ExperienceValeriDined on 10/5/2014Our first dinner in St. Helena was at Market, and what a terrific way to start. Our server recommended an excellent Robert Foley Pinot and we had the special of Tiger prawns on a delicious basil mashed potato. Every dish we tried was beautifully presented and just as tasty. The next time I am in St. Helena, Market is at the top of my list of places to eat again.Special Features:
- Lunch in the wine countryluvfoodVIPDined on 10/4/2014My husband & I had a late lunch. Service is good; atmosphere is good. I ordered the Mac & Cheese which was a bit disappointing. There were about 3 specks of bacon in it. The noodles were cooked well, sauce consistently was good but not enough cheesy flavor. Plus the lack of bacon. My husband had the swordfish special that day and it was wonderful. Flavorful sauce, fish cooked perfectly. Next time if I go back, I will try the fried chicken which looked delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceDorothyandBrianDined on 10/3/2014We had an excellent meal and the service from Annie was first class. We would recomend this establishment for anyone visiting St Helena.Special Features:
- Regular Napa Valley visitorTHECOSVIPDined on 9/29/2014The Market continues to be great. Great food. Great wine. Attentive service. A must if you are staying near St Helena.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentJohnCVIPDined on 9/28/2014Market focuses on outstanding ingredients that are not fussily prepared. The menu is solid from top to bottom and changes every six weeks or so. Specials are particularly good. Standards include a lamb shank with zinfandel and salmon or halibut--all always excellent. Some have suggested that other options in the area for the same price are better choices, but I disagree. Terra is a different caliber and a different experience, higher end dining. Market outperforms Cindy's, Mustard's, Archetype and Tra Vigne. One of its top features is not so much zero corkage, which is nice, but an outstanding local wine list with average markups from wholesale of around $10 per bottle. A true bargain. Service is always attentive and personal.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening at Market !HappyDinerDined on 9/26/2014Eddie was ever-present on the floor as usual....and Jesse was great as our server for a second time. Great job guys. Had the prawns as an app and short ribs for my entree.....wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okTravelLoverDined on 9/24/2014Nice atmosphere, friendly staff, food was just ok, well presented, but no wow factor. Table service was mediocre. Prices were in line with others in area. There are too many other places in the Valley that are better. If Market is to compete, they need to step it up. It was not bad, just ok.
- Neighborhod FavoriteSpunkersDined on 9/22/2014Market is the "go to" restaurant for us in St. Helena. The food is always reliably good, the service great and the atmosphere convivial We always meet up with friends who g there as.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An enjoyable supperwdc88Dined on 9/20/2014Crowded enough to make the service a bit sluggish and conversation a bit difficult, Market nonetheless delivered a delicious meal and pleasant experience. Beer-battered shrimp were sweet and plump, if a bit greasy; whole-leaf caesar salad was excellent (it's all about the dressing, which was tangy and full of flavor); huge portions of beef short ribs and lamb shank were tender and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St. Helena GemCallyDined on 9/19/2014Great casual for adults. The gourmet appetizers were delicious. I loved the tuna ap! When we asked about the burger the waiter made us believe it was the best in town. Four of us ordered it and he was telling the truth. Nice wine list.Special Features:
- Great foodocfoodieDined on 9/15/2014Truly enjoyed our diner there a few nights ago. The food was excellent, we ate too much though and didn't get to have dessert, so we'll have to go another time for dessert. The staff was very friendly, and the atmosphere was pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently wonderfulMaryKDined on 9/14/2014We ate here a few years ago and remembered it was excellent (the no corkage fee doesn't hurt!). This time, a Sunday evening in mid -September, was true to our previous experience. The large restaurant was half full likely because the tourist season is at a small lull, but that didn't affect the quality of our experience at all. We are coinnoisseurs of heirloom tomato offerings. ( I'm a gardener) and their tomato/burrata salad was fantastic, as was all our dishes--Caeser salad, and salmon and filet mignon entrees. Our waiter and other staff were knowledgeable, friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BreakfastSpikermikeVIPDined on 9/14/2014Really enjoyed the historic buildings in St. Helena and our breakfast experience here was wonderful. The service and ambiance were welcoming and the food was great.Special Features:
- 6 people in group--all say 5 starsLRBScoopVIPDined on 9/13/2014honored reservation at a busy time, great service, informed waitress,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014Great lunch, great drinks and great service. I would recommend to anyone visiting the area. It was our favorite meal (dinners included) while visiting the valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Market Napa, CAMichDined on 9/9/2014We had such a great time at Market celebrating my husbands Bday. Dinner was cooked perfectly - med rare salmon as requested. Dessert was especially amazing - Butterscotch Pudding in homemade waffle bowl... Amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/5/2014A very nice downtown restaurant with a very spacious setting. Staff is extremely friendly. Food was very local and fresh and really fits the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2014Excellent surprise about the tast of the plates. Very good service form the waiters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/2/2014Love coming here, great food, amazing service, nice wine list, no corkage, fun cocktails. It goes on and on and on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem !NJdinerDined on 9/2/2014Went here for dinner first night in Napa Valley. Great choice! Heirloom tomato and burrata salad to die for! All dishes very well prepared, with freshest of ingredients. Service delightful. Very charming place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/30/2014Great dinner with lots of amazing and delicious options. They also allow you to bring your own bottle of wine without a corking fee which was a huge bonus. Overall, we had an incredibly delicious dinner at Market!Special Features:
- Best local American foodAmartineztfeDined on 8/29/2014A locals paradise, nice ambience and all plates simply delicious. Friendly staff make your experience memorable. No cork fee, cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.