249 Main Street
Stamford, CT 06901Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marketstamford.com/
- Phone: 2033488000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Market Restaurant
Award Winning Market Restaurant has now been open in downtown Stamford for the past two years. Owner David Leute has an exciting New American menu which features the freshest flavors of the season in an energetic room featuring an open kitchen, exposed brick walls and unique finishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Market Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Good food-horrible staffOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/5/2011We have been to this restaurant several times and have always had a wonderful experience. This time around the food was very good, but the waitstaff was totally inattentive, and our waiter was down-right hostile. It would make me hesitate going back anytime soon..Special Features:
- Market didn't disappoint,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/4/2011Market didn't disappoint, and I guess that in itself was the surprise. In every other visit we've left scratching our heads as to how this could be considered one of the top restaurants in the area. Sure, it tries really hard to be a top tier spot (and is certainly priced that way) but Market never seems to deliver on the promise. We dined during the frenzy of Stamford's Alive @ 5 concert, so our expectations were tempered going in and for once Market didn't disappoint in its execution. The crabcake was flavorful and the shrimp Caesar salad and gazpacho were simple but well prepared. For an excellent meal in town I'd still choose Napa & Company, but Market is definitely a more lively scene and based on the food tonight, worth another try.Special Features:
- Ughhhh.....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2011Once we got past the drinks, this was just an awful dining experience. Saturday night at a restaurant that claims to use "market-fresh" ingredients and no specials. Waiting, waiting, waiting for main courses -- and when we finally inquired, we were told: You're next in line, the kitchen is short staffed tonight. One entree was so salty, it was inedible. We asked for a substitution of just the pasta without any sauce which took another 20 minutes to arrive. By then the rest of us were finished with our main courses, and the poor person wasn't even given a fork to eat it with. And finally, they started clearing the table while he was still eating. Need I say more?
- Food is excellent and consistentlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/9/2011Food is excellent and consistently delicious. The service is never stellar, but Saturday night's service was particualrly poor and slow...Special Features:
- Food was excellent - bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2011Food was excellent - best filet I've had in a long time.Special Features:
- Great food with wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/3/2011Great food with wonderful service! Mussel appetizer and salmon entree were delicious. Don't miss the polenta fries!!Special Features:
- Food was decent but serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/21/2011Food was decent but service was a mixture of inattentiveness and mistakes (clearing plates, glasses before we were finished).Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/21/2011Excellent restaurant with interesting food combinations.Special Features:
- Our waiter was not very friendlycccjjjVIPDined on 5/20/2011Our waiter was not very friendly and made quite a few mistakes on our order. The owner did take care of the problems however, it did put a damper on the evening.Special Features:
- Great tuna appetizer and entree.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/20/2011Great tuna appetizer and entree. Lots of good drinks on the menu.Special Features:
- Food was excellent. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/7/2011Food was excellent. Service was somewhat inattentiveSpecial Features:
- Excellent service. SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2011Excellent service. Superb cuisine and menu with plenty of variety. Snapper, beet salad and linguine with clams were fabulous.Special Features:
- Yummy and friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/20116 of us went there for a corporate lunch and it was outstanding. The servers were knowledgable and friendly, the atmosphere was beautiful and food out of this world...we had fried artichoke, calamari that were tender and fresh, steak chimichuri that was tender, everyone was very happy with their selections....and the new owner David Leute was very charming and welcoming....Joan in Stamford.Special Features:
- This was the third time I'veOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/22/2011This was the third time I've eaten there and the best by far. I have always found the service to be perfectly adequate and this time was no different, but the food was vastly improved over what I've had previously. My one suggestion was that my seared tuna was cooked beyond just being seared...would have benefited from less cooking time.Special Features:
- Surprised to hear they haveOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/22/2011Surprised to hear they have a new owner. Menu continues to be great, but food came out a little bland this time around. Hope this does not continue because we love this place.Special Features:
- Overall nice experience, butdutchVIPDined on 4/9/2011Overall nice experience, but they ar epushing the limits on the pricing for what they are offering.Special Features:
- 'nice'OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/19/2011Nice place. Food was well cooked and tasted good. Nothing jumped out at us as excellent or outstanding while eating here.
- We had a delicious meal chosenEnjoymyfoodDined on 3/12/2011We had a delicious meal chosen from a varied menu consisting of old time classic dishes such as fois gras on polenta and osso bucco, as well as seasonal options, such as the appetizer of baby artichokes in a parmesan crust. Overall, everything was very good, except for a couple of tough leaves on the deep-fried artichokes and a passable osso bucco, not the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- The food was delicious, fromOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/12/2011The food was delicious, from the appetizers to the salads to the entrees. Excellent. The hosts and bartenders were great. The table service wasn't great, however. The server seemed to have little interest in giving information and getting answers, and rushed us along. It's a shame. Everything else was wonderful.
- We had reservations for 8:30OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/11/2011We had reservations for 8:30 on a Friday night, we didn't get seated until 9:10. Made several attempts with the host to find out the delay. He bought us a drink at the bar while we waited. Food was just ok:-/ had short ribs and fat cow. Both pieces of meat had very little flavor. And small portions, which would of been fine but we were starving by the time dinner came. Only good thing was desert bannaas foster! Will not go back:-/Special Features:
- Can't Rely on The Menu Alone.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/5/2011I will start by saying that after my experience at Market, I am very torn. The menu is very interesting and the food was good. It would normally make me want to return but the service was terrible. I think Market Restaurant is falling victim to “Managerial Greed.” When we checked in at our reserved time our table was not ready and we had to wait almost 20 mins. The wait staff was hurried and stressed at this obviously overbooked restaurant. Our appetizer course was skipped over and we got our entrees an hour and half later. We were given a “sorry, our kitchen is so backed up” and promised free drinks and desserts in lieu of the missing apps but nothing ended up taken off our bill, so we received no compensation for this experience.Special Features:
- Stick with Napa or Columbus ParkOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/5/2011I could write a book....but in summary, this place is well over priced and the restaurant needs to be fixed from front to back (front of the house first!). There are so many better restaurants in the area w/ the same cost(actually lower). The service....wow is all I can say. We dine out often, everywhere from Colony Grill to Napa, this was the worst dinning experience I have had in a while. With that said, the food was the best part. We enjoyed pretty much everything we had....but just had to ask ourselves, why?!? Why were we paying $28 for a pasta dish with sauasage and brocoli rabe??? Shrimp Scampi for 30 bucks???? Were these magic Shrimp lol...I understand they are hand made but still as a whole the dinning exp was not worth the $$
- A little overpriced for theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/5/2011A little overpriced for the overall experience. I wouldn't come here regularly without the restauarnt week menu. Also didn't like that I was charged $30 for restaurant week dinner and only received two courses with that. Even Equus at the Castle provides 3 courses for only $28, Market should get on the proper restaurant week bandwagon.
- Slightly above average. ThereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/4/2011Slightly above average. There are much better choices in Stamford. The hanger steak was so-so but the scallops were excellent.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week ExperienceDCM1017VIPDined on 3/3/2011This was my first time eating at this restaurant, although I've been for drinks before. It is restaurant week here in Stamford so I thought I'd give it a try. When we were seated we were given the regular menu and after asking for the 'restaurant week' menu were pretty much treated like 2nd class citizens and were told by the waitress that the regular menu was much better to choose from. If you do not want to participate in restaurant week, you do not have to! I ordered the tuna tar tar on wasabi chips and they were awesome. For the meal I chose the seared scallops. The portion was 2 scallops, which were sliced horizontally to appear like 4. How cheap can you get? If the regular portion is 4, give three - it threw the whole dish off sadly.Special Features:
- Must Try!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/28/2011If you are looking for a restaurant that will kick start your evening then you have to try Market. Food is great and the energetic atmosphere will keep you awake and lively for your next stop!Special Features:
- This is a trendy place andIanMDined on 2/24/2011This is a trendy place and if like me you are a senior you may feel out of place among all the beauiful young things. It is a late spot--empty at 7 but filling up later. The food is noticeably good and original and portions are more than adequate, and service is attentive without being overly familiar (often the curse of otherwise upscale restaurants). Prices are on the high side, but I would certainly go back, it isn't that easy to find interesting food in Stamford.Special Features:
- Prices were too high, givenOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/19/2011Prices were too high, given the average quality of the food and the lackluster service.
- Will never go back. Too manyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2011Will never go back. Too many things went wrong, wished I picked another restaurant to bring my girlfriend for Valentine's.
- Great dinner experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/12/2011The baby beet salad was amazing - in taste and presentation. The lobster ravioli entree was delicious and the portion was generously sized. The dessert of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries was a nice end to the meal. I went the Saturday before Valentine's Day so the restaurant was crowded. People arrived without reservations and the staff did their best to accomodate everyone. The host did his best to honor my request for a quiet table and sat us near the front door; unfortunately for a Saturday night in February, it was freezing every time someone entered or exited. Both owners were there assisting where needed which was impressive to see. The attentive staff went out of their way to ensure you had a great experienceSpecial Features:
- Waiter(s) MIAOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/12/2011I was here with girlfriends, and we had a good time. We were sat quickly, and our waiter greeted us quickly... then he vanished. I'm not sure if it got busier, but the service took a drastic dip down. Our waiter(s) were MIA. One of the saving graces of the night was a magician who came by the table. He was entertaining and unique, and made up for the poor/slow service. The food was good and the atmospher was good.
- Nice Gemchingha63VIPDined on 2/12/2011One of the nicer restaurants in downtown Stamford. Food and service was very good. Free glass of champagne for Valentines Day, but they forgot the free chocolate covered strawberries. Decor was nice although they need to camouflage the kitchen more.Special Features:
- Great culinary experience.MKWatersVIPDined on 2/12/2011Great culinary experience. The menu is diverse, the service is exceptional the ambience is trendy. This restaurant is one of our all-time favorites.Special Features:
- Outstanding treatment of theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/11/2011Outstanding treatment of the steak, perfect complements in the side dishes. Service was swift and attentive but discrete.Special Features:
- Simply American ;-)boyslovefood227VIPDined on 2/10/2011We had a really good time here. Went with Co-Workers for a quick meal and it turned into a 3 hour dinner. Service was great and food was good. It's very simple American food. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Good food / atmosphere. OnlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/5/2011Good food / atmosphere. Only drawback was service was slow - but was a crowded saturday night so wasn't so bad as to detract from the dinner.Special Features:
- Food was very good, but ourOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/5/2011Food was very good, but our waiter (Jay) was not good at all. He was rude and hardly even spoke to us.Special Features:
- My 2nd time at this restaurantH2277VIPDined on 2/4/2011My 2nd time at this restaurant - Nice ambience, good food.Special Features:
- This time around the qualityFVdWDined on 1/29/2011This time around the quality of the food was below par. Have eaten here multie times and this time the food was just plain bad.Special Features:
- Food was mediocre at best.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/22/2011Food was mediocre at best. Waited well past our reservation time even though there were tables open. Service was immature and disinterested. Not a bad meal, but not worth the money. would only go back for the mac and cheese!