Market Fresh Bistro
3620 Baldwin Ave.
Makawao, HI 96768Neighborhood:
OrganicPrice: $30 and under
Market Fresh Bistro
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.marketfreshbistromaui.com/
- Phone: 8085724877
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Tuesday - Saturday: 9:00am - 11:00am; Sunday Brunch: 9:00am - 2ish; Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Farm Dinner: Thursday 6pm One Seating- Closed Mondays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Justin Pardo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: No structure in place. Give us a call with your party idea.
- Private Party Facilities: Can accommodate a farm to fork, 30 seat tasting menu and the entire restaurant is yours.
- Private Party Contact: Olivia Coletti 8085724877
- Entertainment: Occasional ukulele player.
- Special Events: We have seven course Tasting Menu every Thursday either based on a local Farm or a Region of the World. Everyone sits together at one long table. We start at 6pm.
A word from Market Fresh Bistro
The philosophy of Market Fresh Bistro is Global influence... Local ingredients. Quality of ingredients, fair pricing and support from our neighborhood and travel community are what is important to our business. At Market Fresh Bistro, we believe that eating well should not only be on a special occasion. We incorporate great food and wine into a weekly routine. Whether our guests come in for breakfast, lunch or dinner, we provide a complete dining experience with prices that encourage return visits. This practice is not a trend for us, but rather a way of strengthening the economy of our island. Market Fresh Bistro is striving to be the global platform, showcasing Hawaii’s finest produce and products. Although the slow food style of our restaurant is European, what makes it Hawaiʻian are our ingredients and Aloha Spirit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Market Fresh Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (11)great for brunch (10)great for outdoor dining (8)neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (7)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Food is outstandingMauiGirlDined on 10/7/2014The food is consistently outstanding. The standards are fabulous and the specials are always creative and delicious and all of high-quality. Lots of fresh vegetables, too. Save room for dessert.Special Features:
- Great Comfort & Local FoodDavidVIPDined on 10/5/2014The atmosphere is perfect in the heart of this special little town. Outside brunch was a special find (wish they had mimosas). Food was good but not anything above and beyond. We were surprised to see that you had to go inside and order (almost like fast food) yet the food was delivered with great service and follow-up. Avoid the french toast, cold and dry. The benedict was a SUCCESS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upcountry Breskfast at its FinestCyclefoodDined on 9/7/2014Wonderful, fresh local food and ingredients expertly prepared. Our classic Eggs Benedict and goat cheese omelette were simply stellar and the locally produced lilliqoi preserves on toast was to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lilikoi Jam! Delicious juice.alohagourmetVIPDined on 8/31/2014Menu is simple for brunch with about 10-items. They sound better then they are. French toast was not dipped enough to saturate the bread and was dry inside, the upcountry berries were good but minimal, vanilla butter still hard from the fridge for several minutes, "mushroom" omelette was empty inside with only a small scattering of cooked local mushrooms on top. It was served with whole wheat toast that was poor in quality, but the jam!!! Made by a local farmer- the very tart likikoi jam was yummy! . No wonder the prices seemed reasonable, you don't get much! On the upside, the location is nice within a courtyard with lots of locals (and their many dogs) under a large tree. Their fresh fruit juice was also delicious!Special Features:
- First Visit - So-SoGallariaDined on 8/1/2014This was my first time at the Bistro. While everything looked good and they take changes - like no bread on the sandwich, I wasn't impressed. I will definitely give them another try and order the chicken instead of the fish. Will review again after the next visit. So want this place to succeed. (Be aware their menu is not online as they do their menus daily depending on the ingredients available that day. Will call ahead!)
- Great bfast in MakawaoJjl19Dined on 7/25/2014We loved it! Too bad it only open at 9 am for bfast as most of Maui activities require that you get up rather early! Delicious eggs benedict with fresh mahi mahi, too bad you have to add 2 pounds for organic eggs as the plate is already around usd 14-15 :) nevertheless we loved the place and are going back for the tasting menu dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 61 reviews are from the Market Fresh Bistro reviews archive.
- fabulous brunchfaradayVIPDined on 6/8/2014ate outside in the courtyard, stopped on our way up the mountain. a beautiful spot with fabulous food and very good wait service. wished I lived in Maui so I could go back!Special Features:
- Lovely Lunch MenuKalexartDined on 5/24/2014The service was great, food delicious-- I can't wait to go back and try something else. Prices were great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy fresh, with organic optionsIzzyxoDined on 5/21/2014I like market fresh. Been there a few times and it does really taste fresh and well made. I don't enjoy and avoid eating mainland eggs when I go out to breakfast so the local organic eggs option was sweet. Great organic beverage choices. Yes, menu can be limited, but they do have pretty short hours, and portions can look a little smaller but you do get full. I've read some really strange reviews online on yelp which were discouraging...but they seem nice when I go. Few things though I'd really Love if they were open a lil earlier and later and consider expanding hours... Most importantly I'd LOVE to see more VEGAN and GLUTEN FREE options... As more and more ppl are becoming consciously aware of how good these changes can be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to their Thursday night special!OrganicisBestDined on 5/15/2014On Thursday nights they have a special meal, ours was "Tastes of Hawaii" and was $75/person plus drinks. They use all organic, fresh ingredients and everyone sits together in long tables. Was fun meeting locals and visitors alike while having a 7 course meal... Very unique dining experience! They also accommodated my companion's need for eating gluten free despite having a set meal for everyone :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShareVIPDined on 5/3/2014Both opa and ahi sandwiches were fresh and delicious. Cheesecake with strawberry topping was well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gemMontrelDined on 4/27/2014Worth the drive from Weilea as the food and ambiance is excelent. Staff is a big asset to the placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and Delicious Farm DinnerAlpineapVIPDined on 4/24/2014We ended up having a reservation for a Thursday night Farm Dinner and it was one of the highlights of our trip! 7 courses and interesting description of each dish by the chef. Loved meeting some locals at our table, too!Special Features:
- jhashDined on 4/23/2014The food was delicious and fresh!! This restaurant truly lives up to the philosophy of farm to table dining with artistic touch. The modern plantation ambiance was inviting and our entire group of 6 whose orders ranged from fish to sandwiches, to salad-left satisfied, both in their tummies and wallets! Great upcountry spot that we are sure to visit again!Special Features:
- A superb neighborhood lunch findvgflVIPDined on 4/19/2014Can a restaurant bear its name better than this one? Everything is truly market fresh, superbly well finished. We are not talking about a gastronomical experience here of course, but an excellent fresh lunch, with each ingredient fresh and local. That spot has freshness as an obsession, and each ingredient right. Baguette is identical to the one you can get in Paris. Crispy, and tasty. This spot did not go unnoticed by the celebrities living on the island. A nice espresso too.Special Features:
- Farm to tableChowhoundDined on 4/17/2014Great idea, and food was generally very good to excellent. Portions were quite small, for the price ($300 for two with wine pairings and tip) it will be a one time adventure. Very close for us, we prefer Sunday breakfast, as it is not quite so dear, but every bit as delicious. Family style dining was probably the best feature, as we met and talked to several people that we really enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food! Great for brunch.EileenDined on 4/1/2014My family and I stopped here for brunch after we watched the sun rise on top of Haleakala. It was the perfect finish to a perfect morning. The restaurant is small and intimate, but there is outdoor seating (weather permitting). I had the blackened catch eggs Benedict and must say it was the BEST eggs Benedict I've ever had! My boyfriend and I liked it so much, we took every one of our guests that came to visit us over the winter there for brunch. I will definitely be eating there again next time I'm in Maui and would recommend it to all of my friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great way to start your tripDinoDined on 3/2/2014This small Zagat rated restaurant is only a short drive from the Maui airport . If you are heading to your final destination in Hana, Wailea , Kaanapali, Kapalua, or Lahaina think about stopping by for lunch or brunch as you head away from the airport about 25 minutes away by car. The market fresh vegetables and bohemian open style kitchen will refresh your batteries after a long trip on the plane. We had brunch and the eggs Benedict and omelets were delicious. This is not a fancy place and kids are welcome too. Great service and food. They take reservations. Afterwards you can walk around a village that is smaller than paia but there are plenty of small shops .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would have loved to try the food...opentablerVIPDined on 2/26/2014...but we were kept waiting for 20 minutes at lunch with no service and watched other tables place their orders. After asking twice for a server, we finally left. They tried calling back to see if we'd return, but we were already on our way to another place by then.
- First visit a disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/23/2014Service was good and friendly but the food was not great and it was very noisy in the inside. We were there for brunch and ordered mostly breakfast items. Although we were there early, at the start of brunch, they were out of some menu items. . Two members of the party had French toast which they thought was not good.Special Features:
- Small portionsJanetLynnDined on 1/31/2014The quality of the food was exceptional - my only complaint was with the quantity. The entree salad was more the size of a side salad. The chicken sandwich was exceptional - but the "salad" that came with it was a small blob of lettuce that was hardly more than a garnish. All in all - great fresh food if you aren't real hungry...Special Features:
- Not impressedJasonDined on 1/24/2014I was disappointed to see that most of the food is NOT organic... including the tofu, bread, etc... Food was over-priced, tiny portions, and not that good.Special Features:
- Thursday Tasting MenuSarahDined on 1/23/2014My fiance and I ate here for the Thursday evening Farmer's Tasting Menu and had an incredible meal! For $50 per person we enjoyed 7 courses all from local farms. We sat "family style" and got to know 2 adorable couples who were also vacationing. The chef, house manager, and servers were all very friendly and enthusiastic about the food they were serving. The restaurant is located in the gorgeous upcountry of Maui and there are plenty of little shops to look around in. I cannot recommend the tasting menu enough! It was one of the most memorable meals we had during our trip. We are still trying to decide what our favorite part was!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding TastingBasketball22Dined on 1/16/2014The Thursday night tasting was one of if the best we have ever enjoyed. A very special place that only uses locally grown ingredients. I wish I need not live a 12-hour plane ride awaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/5/2014The food and the restaurant itself isok. I can very much appreciate the local sourcing of ingredients but they need to work on hospitality. The chef was yelling at everyone that worked there in an open kitchen so the entire dining was made aware and made it very awkward. The rest of the staff seemed lost at sea with how to seat tables and wasn't very discreet in how they handled it. I know it's small place but just a little more professionalism could go a long way there to make for a more enjoyable experience overall.
- Awesome !JeromeVIPDined on 1/3/2014We had a wonderful lunch there in the patio under a large tree. The food (salads, sandwiches, desserts) was awesome. Staff was very friendly. A must stop in MakawaoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- like eating on the farmvactionmauiDined on 12/31/2013Delicious fresh produce, wonderful homemade soup served in a charming casual courtyard. Friendly service and charming little town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i LOVE market fresh bistro!UniqueDrinksAndFunFoodDined on 11/12/2013This is a fabulous restaurant... especially for outside dining underneath the beautiful coral tree in the courtyard. (or if you have the chance to come for their once a week phenomenal special farm dinner). The food is EXCELLENT. Chef Justin loves cooking and it shows in the preparation. The fish was perfectly grilled... a little crusty on the outside and moist and tender on the inside. Their salads are made from the freshest organic local produce available that day. It is one of our favorites. I love taking friends here because I know it'll be a terrific experience for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Brunch!MauiMarthaDined on 10/20/2013Made a reservation through open table, and waitress thanked us, saying that Sunday brunch was their busiest day. They had a table with a reserved sign on it for us. Started with mimoas-had a choice of orange juice, star fruit juice and one other to choose from. I had the omlette with mushrooms and goat cheese--yum! They had lilikoi spread from a local farm for the toast-another yum! Hubby had eggs Benedict which came with potatoes. The sauce didn't taste like Hollandaise-no lemon-but maybe this is their version. Was good, but just was expecting Hollandaise. Very good and attentive wait staff. Will be back!Special Features:
- Fantastic service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2013In prepping for our trip to Maui I just wanted to find a couple of well reviewed and reasonably priced spots to make sure we spread our trip around the island. Market Fresh Bistro did not disappoint and the fact that the service was great made it all the better. The food was fantastically fresh, nicely prepared and presented. Makawao was yet another lovely area to walk before and after lunch as well. Make sure to stop in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will returnOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/9/2013Outstanding food and experience. We will return on our next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of our FAVORITESUniqueDrinksAndFunFoodDined on 5/23/2013we love market fresh bistro for many reasons. they specialize in local organic ingredients, fresh and raw, or cooked to perfection. they won't serve it unless it's the best. if you ever have the chance to go to one of their farm fresh dinners on thursday or friday nights.. GO! i thought i couldn't do a 7-course meal. i was wrong. chef justin puts so much joy and pride into each dish, and complements them with perfect wines... the people, the service and the FOOD were fabulous. i was high for a week remembering that meal. during the day eating under the beautiful coral tree in the courtyard is a special treat too. a very special place... and don't miss the nearby unique galleries and shops..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot for BrunchFoodieGirlDined on 5/12/2013We ordered the french toast, blackened fish eggs benny and the omelette. The french toast was standard. The blackened fish egg benny was very good and omelette was very good as well. Service was good.Special Features:
- Dinner was interesting; andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/4/2013Dinner was interesting; and it was great to meet the Chef and staff; the whole evening simply took too long. It ended up being three hours; which too much for dinner (for us anyway). The food was not extra-ordinary. Certainly interesting; but not outstanding.Special Features:
- A gem in MauiOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/28/2013Food was perfect. The chef, Justin, explained where all the food came from -- farm to table. Unusual and remarkable wine pairings. Olivia and David and all the servers willing to substitute when necessary due to allergies...substitutions were gourmet fare!Love this place. Will continue to frequent again and again...bon appetit!Special Features:
- Turkey club sandwich rivaledOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2013Turkey club sandwich rivaled home made ones-delicious. Please consider a less caustic yellow interior wall paint-it doesn't complement the food.Special Features:
- Good brunch, bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013It's a very small restaurant. We were there for brunch on Saturday. We made a reservation, which was a good thing because the place was pretty busy. The service was really slow. Our waitress wasn't rude or anything, but she wasn't friendly either, which seems to be the theme of the town Makawao (good food, bad service). There were times when we needed a drink refill or our bill and our waitress was just standing around eating food at the counter. I wanted the mini Belgium waffles for brunch, but after I ordered it, the waitress came back and said they're "having problems with their waffles" whatever that's supposed to mean, so I ordered the french toast instead. The french toast was good, but I was disappointed I couldn't have the waffles.Special Features:
- This is a great courtyardMemeneDined on 2/14/2013This is a great courtyard spot! However on the day we were there, a very strong wind was blowing which decreased our ability to really enjoy the whole experience. It was noisy, cold and uncomfortable. The service was VERY slow and it was close to an hour from the time we arrived to when we received our food. We'd ordered soup and sandwiches, expecting the soup of the day would arrive fairly promptly. It took quite a while before our server came around and said "haven't you received your soup yet? Important to note that the soup was very good and the sandwiches were well prepared and tasty. Perhaps there could be more kitchen staff and more servers to make this special place more efficient, and noting that we had a reservation.Special Features:
- I could not stop eating. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/13/2013I could not stop eating. The menu is very limited, as you would expect at a Bistro, so I was torn between the salad and the special which was on this day a lamb ragout. My better nature won out in the beginning and I started with a cup of white bean chilli flavored soup followed by a garden salad with pan seared Ahi Tuna. This was so wonderful, light and flavorful, I could not resist a half order of the ragout. Everything was verygood. Friendly staff and great value considering where you are.Special Features:
- a must-do while in MauiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2013This gem is hidden from the touristic spots and it is well worth taking the time. The owners, Olivia and David, welcome their guests with a healthy menu, fairly priced with fresh ingredients. We had 2 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 1 brunch there; the place is always packed! We missed the popular Thursday 8-service wine-paired feast because we didn't make a reservation early enough. The chef creates some very tasty and colorful dishes, it has a Mediterranean flair combining Maui's fresh produce, eggs, meats and fish into a well-balanced, perfectly sized meal. You need to be on Maui time when you go there at peak time because this place favors quality-prepared food to fast-food. A true pearl in Maui, a must-go restaurant, an honest experience!Special Features: