Market Cafe at Loews Coronado Bay Resort
4000 Loews Coronado Bay Road
Coronado, CA 92118Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Market Cafe at Loews Coronado Bay Resort
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Coronado-Bay-Resort/dining/restaurants
- Phone: 6194244444
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm. July 1st through Labor Day the Restaurant will open from 7:00am - 9:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Brent Calley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Host your special event in the beautiful resort setting of Market Cafe. Choose from two semi-private areas; the Sunset Terrace overlooking the the resort's marina or the Sunset Room - each with a capacity for up to 50 guests. Group menus are available for parties of 15 or more. From rehearsal dinners to baby showers to business meals; it's the perfect setting for any type of event for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Private Party Contact: Bruce Albertson 6194244444
A word from Market Cafe at Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Market Café features every element of the perfect San Diego dining experience. Chef Brent Calley offers modern California coastal cuisine in a spectacular indoor and outdoor setting overlooking the resort’s beautiful marina. The region’s freshet produce, fish and seafood are highlighted in seasonal salads, sandwiches, signature San Diego fish tacos and all the classic comforts. In the evening, Market Café transforms into a contemporary steakhouse with an extensive Market Steakhouse menu featuring Kobe Flat Iron, Tenderloin, Prime Cowboy Ribeye and New York steaks, all served with a variety of savory sauces and innovative sides. Market Cafe is open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner; be sure to join us for Breakfast at Loews, our unique take on the most important meal of the day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Market Cafe at Loews Coronado Bay Resort reviews from OpenTable diners
- Not So SureOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2012First of all, the menu was not available online to preview, so I took a chance. I typically do not do that. I must say it was a strange menu. I like different dishes, but this was a little too off for me. I ordered the smoked chicken, lasagna-type dish with avocado pasta, spinach and goat cheese with pine nuts. Not so good and way too rich! My husband had the Mexican buffet and said it was good. Our service was not up to par either. We waited for too long for refills and for the waiter to check in on us. Overall, it is probably a hit or miss depending on what you like, we did sit on the patio which we did enjoy....unfortunately it did not make up for the food experience. I will not eat there again.Special Features:
- Dissappointed!EpicureanDined on 6/17/2012I was dissappointed upon arrival to see such an informal atmosphere and even more dissappointed when I saw the menu. We expected a steak house as I have read in the profile of the hotel's website, that this cafe transformed into a steak house at dinner time, it was still a cafe with only steak burgers in the menu, but no real steaks. Well, we were already there after driving a bit so, we decided to stay. The chicken achiote that I ordered, had more the taste of a saffron chicken rather than achiote. Being a pretty decent gourmet cook myself, I was greatly dissappointed to the Father's Day celebration I planned for my husband.
- Excellent customer service,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/4/2012Excellent customer service, food was great... Gorgeous view.. A+++++++++Special Features:
- OMG! Fantastic!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2012Unbelievable....that's the only way to describe Loew's Coronado. We made our reservation on OpenTable, and we were addressed by name throughout the entire evening. The waitstaff was excellent, maybe even better. They were friendly and attentive, but were not "over the top". Their suggestions were good, but not always the most expensive items on the menu. What a refreshing change. This is much more than a Cafe -- and we can't wait to try to full restaurant upstairs. Special thanks to Rene (our principal server) and Amanda (our hostess). Loews, you have a real gem of a place here.Special Features:
- An elegant location with aOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/7/2012An elegant location with a beautiful view and excellent service... but, this was the second time my family dined there, and the second time that the food was just ok for the price. The first time, the fish tacos were dry. This time, the Duo of Chicken was salty and not very exciting. The steak, though cooked well, was overseasoned. I hate to give the Market Cafe a bad review given the excellent service, but we've tried it twice, nearly a year apart, and twice struck out on delicious meal.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful time!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011We had a wonderful time! A special thank you to Tim Wourms for making the reservation for us to stay at Loews. Beautiful room and the grounds were especially nice to walk through. The food at the restaurant was yummy!!Special Features:
- What happened?OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/29/2011We always loved having breakfast here but this time it took one hour for us to get our food. And it was not hot. The restaurant was not busy and the tables around us seemed to get their meals while we sat there. I suggest just getting the buffet if you are in a hurry and not ordering from the menu if you must eat here.
- Over priced , fairly blandRox1Dined on 11/24/2011Over priced , fairly bland food . Not on my list to revisit anytime soon .
- A gem on ThanksgivingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2011The Thanksgiving buffet was great! We have gone to the Rancho Bernardo Inn in the past, and decided to try a new restaurant this year. The food was very good, the view restful, and the staff were happy, personable, and efficient. We will be back!
- Very disappointed and notOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2011Very disappointed and not at all what I remembered. I have gone multiple times years ago and it was something all my guests talked about. I would have gladly paid more for the incredible brunch experience it once was, with awesome breakfast/lunch selections, and fabulous desserts. I will not go again.
- Bad Sunday brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/28/2011There used to have more food for the same price, and that wasn't so long ago. I was so shocked and disappointed. No more pasta station, sushi/sashimi, or all you can eat shrimps. Should have known when there wasn't a long line like it used to. Economy has hit this place just as hard. Go to the poolside cafe instead. Very sad.....
- We went to the Market CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2011We went to the Market Cafe twice - the first time was for dinner with a party of 10. The service (if you could call it that) was mind-numbingly slow... we had 4 young children in the party and it was clearly a slow night at the restaurant - how long does it take to throw together a couple bowls of mac & cheese? Slow service = Fussy Kids = Greater Risk of Meltdowns... the food was very average - not worth the inflated hotel price point or the long wait. The quality of the ingredients was good, but the preparation was a bummer. With regard to our 2nd visit - a private catered post-wedding brunch on the Sunset Terrace: AWESOME. Yummy breakfast food, delicious omelette bar & very good service.Special Features:
- We ate here during our stayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2011We ate here during our stay at the resort. The food was wonderful and so were the cocktails. We loved it.Special Features:
- It was not your run of theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/19/2011It was not your run of the mill sunday brunch. the BBQ area was terrific, grilled chicken and buttermilk mashed potatoes fresh and homemade!!! wonderful sausages, Lamb and italian Basil were what stuck out in my mind. The pulled pork was tender, flavorful and moist. The service was wonderful, the staff was very friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- overall not a great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/29/2011overall not a great place for brunch. the food was ok, but not top of the line. the service was good, but the staff level noise and commotion was notable.Special Features:
- Good food, not so great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/8/2011Not a bad place for a Mother's Day brunch. Despite the business of the place, our table was ready at our reservation time. Lots of refreshingly unique food choices, and decent versions of the usual buffet staples. A bit on the pricey side ($60 per person), but I'd rather pay extra for better food than hate most of the stuff they offer, and the mimosas (or just champagne) were included in the price. Service was a bit lacking - something quite annoying when a mandatory 18% gratuity is added to the bill for our party of 8. We always had to ask for drink refills - when we could catch our waitress. Parking was free with validation, and it's close to Coronado for a much needed walking tour to work off the overindulgence.
- Mother's day brunch you hadbichyVIPDined on 5/8/2011Mother's day brunch you had to pick up food in the lobby, while making your way through shops and crowds... $80 pp... Their bruch buffet used to be excellent a few years back, but now it is disappointing
- We went for Mother's Day Brunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/8/2011We went for Mother's Day Brunch. The food was wonderful. The service was attentive. We had a great time.Special Features:
- We had a 11:00 reservation,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/24/2011We had a 11:00 reservation, and got there 15 min early. After waiting in a long line, the receptionist told us to get out of line and hang out until 11:00. I asked if we had to get back into line to do that and we did. At 11:00 she told us she was still sitting 10:45 guests...That wasn't our problem!!! She asked us to move aside again, and I refused. We were with our 80 year old parents. We were ungraciously seated at a very noisy area without a view, and the view is why we chose the restaurant in the first place. After we were seated we had fantastic service, though. I think his name was Daniel. Just wouldn't do it again.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/10/2011Went for brunch. The food was really tasty, but needed to be hotter. The staff was very friendly and our server was attentive. I'd never heard of the place - even tho I grew up in SD. beautiful views of the marina and surrounding homes. Great find!Special Features:
- We celebrated a birthday hereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/22/2009We celebrated a birthday here and totally enjoyed it. At first, we couldn't find a wait person and I had to ask twice about it but then Omar came along and was the best and friendliest attendant we've ever had! The food was very good although things like the ham and fish which had been sitting under lights for a while were very dry. I guess the trick is to pull from the middle instead of the ends and top. The POM pomergranite juice was fantastic! We poured champagne in ours. The desserts are terrific and the Omar had a special lava cake with fruit and ice cream made for my friend's birthday. Overall, we'd say the experience was excellent and will definitely come back here again. Hopefully, Omar will be there when we do!Special Features:
- Good casual food and service.SofiaVIPDined on 7/25/2009Good casual food and service. 18% gratuity automatically added to bill is too high for such casual dining.Special Features:
- Service was very good. ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/26/2009Service was very good. View was very nice. Food was OK. We ordered Hamburgers, touted to be juicy, but they were dry and bland. Achiote pulled pork sandwich was dry also, and had very little flavor. The Tarragon Chicken Salad was almost entirely devoid of tarragon and consisted of a good-sized portion of mayonnaisey bland chicken, and little else. It was served alone on the plate with a few toasted baguette chips, no greens to go with it, just mayonnaisey meat. The restaurant was fairly empty during the dinner hour, and I think that it held the overflow diners that couldn't get into the other restaurant on the premises, Mistral. If you want hamburgers in Coronado, go to Burger Lounge. If you want spicy food, go to Swaddee Thai.Special Features:
- We made the mistake of stoppingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/24/2009We made the mistake of stopping here for breakfast. For the outrageous prices, you would think you were in a four star restaurant. Sadly, the food is average at best. Do yourself a favor, skip breakfast at the hotel and head to Perry's Cafe instead. Even the local IHOP provides better food and at much more reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Food was very good. AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2009Food was very good. Atmosphere inside is more like a nice hotel coffee shop than an upscale restaurant. Service was on the slow side but staff was friendly.Special Features:
- We ate outside, and the patioOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2009We ate outside, and the patio heaters weren't working too well. We sat at two tables, and both of the adjacent heaters ended up being broken. Had a great steak and and a very flavorful mojito, though.Special Features:
- We had never been to the resortOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/18/2008We had never been to the resort before, it was our first wedding anniversary and we thought it would be a great place to go....WRONG! I made reservations online for 6:30. We arrived valet parked asked for directions to the restaurant walked in to find the place CLOSED! Know one had mentioned this to us at all. The manager made us a table outside the bar area while people were drinking and smoking, We had our 6month old daughter with us! there were very few things on the menu. We decided this wasn't the place for us. The manger took my name, phone and email promising to send breakfast coupons but of course never did. I would not recommend this resort to anyone, we will never go back!Special Features:
- Disappointed that there wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/27/2008Disappointed that there was no carved beef and few entries that were previously offered. Quite expensive for what is now offered, which is primarily scrambled eggs and omelets, bacon, sausage, ham, smoked fish, bagels, cheese quesadillas, very few deserts (previously amazing deserts), and fruit.Special Features:
- we went for my fiance's birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/27/2008we went for my fiance's birthday and had breakfast brunch. It was so wonderful and the staff was so friendly that we not only went back the next morning, but we've decided to take another trip back to that location soon.Special Features:
- when the waiter turned thennanVIPDined on 7/6/2008when the waiter turned the outside heaters on, they spewed ash all over the tableSpecial Features:
- The service was quite slow.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/4/2008The service was quite slow. We heard other tables have to repeatedly ask for things as well. The restaurant wasn't particularly busy either. We ordered coffee and dessert. The dessert didn't come until we were completely done with the first cup of coffee. When the waiter brought the dessert, he asked if we wanted another cup of coffee. He didn't bring that until we were completely done with dessert. We overheard the man at the table next to us ask if there was Mac & Cheese in the kid's buffet. It took so long for the waiter to come back, the dad finally just went and got his little boy some Mac & Cheese (BEFORE THEY EVEN ORDERED THEIR OWN DINNER!). Disappointing for such an expensive restaurant and resort.Special Features:
- We went there after our gondolaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/9/2008We went there after our gondola ride for our 29th anniversary only because Mistral was closed on Monday's, but to our surprise it was nice enough and the steak melted in your mouth. What I liked most is that you can bring your own wine and there isn't any corkage fee...that was definitely a plus. Not very romantic inside, but a little more out side. We wish we would have asked for outside. Inside can be a little noisy with all the little kids that eat there.Special Features:
- we had two nice breakfastsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/7/2008we had two nice breakfasts and a nice brunch during our stay at the hotel. the food was good and the buffets has plenty from which to choose. the servers were quite good and very accommodating to out 7 month-old son.Special Features:
- I was very satisfied withOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/1/2008I was very satisfied with everything except that we were seated beside a table with eight young adults that were drinking heavily. One member in particular was using a lot of profanity that my kids ages 4 and 7 years were able to hear him. Even though the group scolded him, he still continued. We felt so uncomfortable that we ate really fast and left. But before I did, I talked to one of the waitresses about the situation and she said she was going to talk to the manager. I wished we were not seated beside that group knowing that we had children. That table ordered bottle after bottle and for me it felt like being in a late night bar. My family was really disappointed.Special Features:
- The comments above are forOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/15/2008The comments above are for dinner 5/15. However, we also had lunch there 5/16 with three guests. The service was so bad that it became comical. We had three incompetent servers. We had to wait 15min for our drink orders, and finally my wife went back to the kitchen area to complain. Then, the servers gave the drinks to the wrong people despite our saying who had what-I told the waiter my wife had the chardonnay and I had the pinot-he gave her the red and me the white. Then, another waiter asked a guest if she'd like chicken on her hamburger (I'm not kidding). We asked three times for some extra limes for a margarita. Finally a waiter said, "I'll be right back with your lemons." Fortunately, our guests had a good sense of humor.