1412 East Union
Seattle, WA 98122Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marjorierestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2064419842
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joshua Davenport
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Marjorie delights in catering to your needs and the requirements of your off site gathering. We use high quality, fresh ingredients to create an array of delectable dishes. We offer drop off or pick-up service, as well as high end, attentive and detail oriented service to meet your needs.
- Private Party Facilities: The Annex is a private dining facility that comfortably seats up to 50 people. Smaller Parties can be accommodated in a semi-private setting, or can buy out the room to have complete privacy.
- Private Party Contact: Donna Moodie 2064419842
- Entertainment: Marjorie does not have live entertainment, but we are lively. The mix on the iPod and the Turntables in the Bathroom and Back Room provide guests with countless opportunities to spin while enjoying the animated atmosphere and culture at Marjorie.
- Cross Street: 14th and Union
- Public Transit: The number 2 makes a stop at 14th and Union. The number 8 and 11 are also close by. As regular Marjorie customer, the Bus Chick notes, Marjorie is easily accessible by a multitude of buses!
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is ample street parking, particularly to the south and east of the restaurant. Secured garage parking is also available in the Chloe Retail Parking Garage, on East side of 14th Avenue between Union and Madison.
A word from Marjorie Restaurant
Marjorie, the jewel box anchor on the corner of 14th and Union, is in Capitol Hill’s latest hot zone. Marjorie, the pride of owner, Donna Moodie, who is reknowned for urban trend-spotting while designing hip, urbane spaces. Marjorie’s kitchen creates amazing, delicious cuisine, using fresh, local, sustainable ingredients. Under the guidance of reknown Chef, Dustin Calery, Marjorie takes a respectful approach to eclectic cuisine, focusing on fabulous, high quality ingredients. At Marjorie, hospitality is as important as what's in the glass and on the plate. Attentive and caring service are qualities that keep Marjorie's guests returning. The charming, warm, hand crafted interior, complimented by a lovely courtyard patio await you. The recent addition of a second dining room, provides more seating and a great place to host a party. A warm interior, tremendous cuisine, and crafted cocktails are indeed how Marjorie feeds the soul.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Marjorie Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill / First Hill ›
Marjorie Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (63)fit for foodies (56)great for outdoor dining (46)special occasion (31)romantic (29)late-night find (8)notable wine list (8)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Consistently goodFoodfanVIPDined on 8/28/2014Donna and her team always provide great food and service in their wonderful neighborhood location. It is one of my go to restaurants on Capitol Hill. Most recently took some friends from London who loved it too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for friend's birthday dinnertiomiguelDined on 8/20/2014This was my first-time dining at Marjorie, but I'll be back -- whenever I'm in Seattle. I was visiting from Tucson, and wanted to take an old Seattle friend some place special for her birthday. Marjorie definitely fit the bill! The food was excellent, the service was attentive, helpful, and personable -- without being obtrusive. The space is not large, but it's well laid out, with outdoor dining that would be perfect on an evening just a little less cool than the one when we were there. I'd definitely recommend this restaurant for anyone wanting a romantic, intimate, little neighborhood dining destination.Special Features:
- Outstanding servicemariedDined on 8/16/2014Came here to celebrate a special occasion....and the food, and especially the service rose to meet our high hopes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun food, Bohemian vibeRossMcKVIPDined on 8/12/2014Marjorie is very casual and the food is very good. The relaxed feel of the restaurant is a surprising contrast to excellent cooking of wildly varied dishes. My wife and I had four "I" dishes (small plates) that we treated as tapas, sharing them. 3 of the four were superb, the fourth wasn't bad. I can recommend the chanterelle saute, which was great, a bit spicy with baby artichokes and berries. The bruschetta with chevre, nectarines, mint, and walnuts was delicious. We also like the octopus and chorizo. The chicken tikka masala was fine, but the least of the four. Dessert was a brioche bread pudding. Oh, so good. Go to Marjorie, even if only for dessert! Service was excellent, the wine list okay, and we'd be back if we lived here.Special Features:
- Great drinks, fabulous foodKDSeattleDined on 8/9/2014We had a lovely evening at Marjorie. The cocktail menu is diverse and delicious. We had the plantain chips with salsa and scallop ceviche-- absolutely yummy. We also had the grilled prawns and the salmon-- both wonderful. Great service. The metal seats outside don't look comfortable-- until you sit in them-- they were more comfy than most restaurant chairs. The only down side is there is no view.Special Features:
- Small plates and moreOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2014Very much enjoyed the outdoor seating along with a chanterelle mushroom plate and cold lamb salad. So good I had to go for the scallops as an entrée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great experienceNeatWhiskeyDined on 7/25/2014My girlfriend and I recently celebrated our second anniversary at Marjorie and it was absolutely perfect. We had a bottle of Bordeaux, friend plantains, pupusa, and steak. They all went perfectly together. Desert was bread pudding - the best I've ever had. I highly recommend Marjorie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and eclecticOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/19/2014Great food, interesting variety and fresh ingredients - standouts were hanger steak, seared scallops and house-made pasta with pork ragu for mains and papusa and scallop crudo to start. It's eclectic but, just like the restaurant itself, a wonderful mix. We sat in the new back room on a rainy summer night with the doors open and tunes playing from the collection of vinyl. Service was fantastic - helpful suggestions (both food and music!) and good pacing in spite of the several large groups that were seated at the same time as us. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something really SpecialVinoForTwoPleaseVIPDined on 7/5/2014Ceviche w plantain chips, clams, chicken Tikka and scallops. All amazingly creative and wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shortlatteDined on 7/3/2014We enjoyed the garden patio atmosphere and had a delicious meal. The servers were amazing...we had a very attentive waitress, and the owner was also helping by visiting tables and filling water glasses. Very memorable meal and we ate every course. The place has a nice energy, and is also intimate so you can easily hear each other across the table. We will be back!Special Features:
- Go to spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/24/2014Always good, but this time even better. All four of us dining had great meals, well presented and a nice wine list by the glass for each.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, wonderful.FoodiesfromfarawayDined on 6/22/2014The food was exquisite and service impeccable. We were lucky enough to sit outside in the patio area, enjoying a warm summer's breeze as we dined.Special Features:
- Consistenly DelectibleMishaGDined on 6/17/2014Marjorie is our favorite. The delectable food, creative drinks, warm ambiance and inviting staff are sure to bring a smile. We loved Donna during her 'Lush Life' years and we are so glad that we discovered 'Marjorie' three years ago.Special Features:
- A Wonderful EveningsitstayeatDined on 6/9/2014We recently celebrated our daughter's college graduation here and had a very memorable evening. The six of us ordered a wide array of appetizers, entrees and desserts and we all loved what was served. Our favorites---the plantain with ceviche, the halibut, the rabbit and the monkey bread pudding. The restaurant has a casual and cozy vibe with excellent service and wonderful food. It was our first time here, but we'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Seculded Oasis on Capitol HillElkArcherVIPDined on 6/2/2014Deceptively small from the front Marjorie has a great outdoor dining venue in the front and a much larger dining room in the back of the restaurant. All of the food was original and well executed. Northwest and regional in nature, sourcing and style, Marjorie brings it all together in a really unique intimate environment. If you are looking for a get away that is close by but feels miles from the city try Marjorie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food4meFood4meDined on 6/1/2014It was our second visit and it was even better than the first, which was pretty great. The food is delicious and just the perfect portion size ,even for sharing .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!HeartSeattleVIPDined on 5/31/2014I can't believe this restaurant isn't talked about more. The food is amazing, the service is really good, and the ambiance is wonderful! The plantains were really good, the seafood dishes were outstanding, and the dessert couldn't have been better. I'm generally really wary of giving anything five stars, but I was truly impressed with this place and couldn't believe that this wasn't on any of those "top" lists. Make a reservation and try it out!Special Features:
- Marvelous Marjorie'scheriruDined on 5/28/2014Had a wonderful dinner with great service. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as great second time backjac425Dined on 5/25/2014Returned to Resturant for second time in less than a month. First time was amazing. This time not so great. Plantain appetizer had too cooked plantains. One step away from burned. Sides were so so. Main courses lackluster. Disappointed but will give them one more chanceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!tu2tuGirlDined on 5/24/2014Went to dinner with girlfriends on a Saturday night. Outside of the great company we enjoyed delicious food (including to die for the plantain chips), a lovely selection of wine and cocktails and Donna was her usual gregarious and friendly self which made us feel very welcomed. I will definitely tell friends and will be back for dinner again soon.Special Features:
- Wonderful in every way!!!Thoughtfulfood88Dined on 5/18/2014Every once in awhile you find a gem of a restaurant that fills your happy tummy and soul and Marjorie's is it!!! The food was exquisite, beautiful and ever so tasty. We shared the Burrata--a dream to start with, the local greens salad and an amazing pasta with a sauce that incorporated pistachio, and roasted red pepper. Rosa was very attentive, kind and wonderful with her suggestions. The space is beautiful with the cobalt blue walls and I can imagine dining outside too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was ok.lovetodineVIPDined on 5/11/2014I ordered a medium hamburger and it was well done. The meat was tough and salty. The goat dressing on my salad was salty. The bread pudding is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love MarjoriepansyollieVIPDined on 5/10/2014You don't read a lot about this restaurant but the food is amazing. The owner is formerly of Lush Life and Marco's Supper Club. All four of us in our party ordered something different and we all thought the food, wine and even the lemon seltzer drink was fantastic. I particularly love the outdoor dining and the glass-lined seating right when you walk in the door. We sat in the "back room" this time which the rest of my party really liked - and the restaurant really needs so they can seat more people - but I missed the windows and didn't like the ambiance as much. Otherwise it would be five star all around.Special Features:
- Excellentjac425Dined on 5/10/2014Marjorie was a real gem. The appetizers were excellent. I have never had plantains before but they were much better than chips and were severed with a great tomato/avocado dip. My halibut was perfectly cooked for me with an interesting sauce with fresh radishes. My son had the steak and it was cooked perfectly. Bread pudding was yummy for dessert. The owner stopped by to chat with our table. A lovely person. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Line up for this one!foodieVIPDined on 5/9/2014The ambience, energy and quality of food are all amazing. The intimate atmosphere made us feel as if we were having a very special dinner made just for us - even though the modest/little sized room was packed. Love the feel of this place! We are going back soon!Special Features:
- The following 209 reviews are from the Marjorie Restaurant reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/29/2014Wonderful intimate restaurant. Plantain chips were delish, as were the cocktails, salads, lamb & chicken dishes. Great find!Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gem!TTTTDined on 4/27/2014A great place to go with friends for an excellent meal and drinks at an affordable price. Love the plantain chips with guacamole appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeKawinnieVIPDined on 4/26/2014Can't do past it for a decent eat out in Seattle. Marjorie is an amazing host and the food in superb.Special Features:
- Cozy and ComfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/24/2014We like to walk to Marjorie's where food and drinks are good any time of year but best in summer with the garage windows open and patio seating available. This cozy patio nestled in a courtyard but retaining a view of an urban street gets my vote for best in the city. Marjorie's bartender makes consistently great Old Fashions. While the menu changes seasonally we're glad the fresh baked plantain chips served with homemade pineapple guacamole is always available. On our latest visit we loved the gnocchi served with ox tail ragu and the nettle fettucini served with an unusual but delicious pesto. We recommend Marjorie, good food in a small, cozy, comfortable setting.Special Features:
- Amazing, especially desserts!kiwimasterDined on 4/17/2014Will need to say this place exceeded my expectations (food-wise) xD Wasn't expecting to taste something that's almost purely reliant on the organic taste of the food. Most food these days rely on lots of seasoning and processing (even if the ingredients are spectacular), but the food here: they taste.like.real.living.magical.food. I mean, seriously, you can taste the original essence of the food (because there aren't excessive seasoning), and it's so good that it's actually feeding the soul in addition to satisfying the taste buds. This might be my personal preference, but food like this is hard to find these days... The vegan dish i especially like :) And desserts are awesome! Caramel at its best! Large portion size too!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/15/2014Excellent service - food wonderful as always. I did order beef well done and had to send it back for further cooking but that happens to me almost everywhere - chefs do not like to cook meat (or fish) well done. Would like to see them go back to the dip for the plantains they use to serve. Look forward to the summer - perfect outdoor dining.Special Features:
- Neighbor Gem!!TTTTDined on 4/14/2014Marjorie's is an excellent addition to the Capitol Hill neighborhood. It's a great place to take in an excellent meal and drink while enjoying the hill vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food combinationsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/14/2014We enjoyed finding this small neighborhood restaurant during our visit to Seattle. The service was attentive and unhurried, the food choices inventive and delicious from appetizer to dessert. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soooo Good!!QueenyDined on 4/14/2014The food was incredible. We went for Restaurant Week and ordered from the prix fix menu. We both got the cevice as an appetizer. It was too bland, but the plantain chips used to scoop it up were incredible. We both ordered the snapper for our main dish and it was PERFECT. The fish had a salty crust on it and was cooked perfectly. It was accompanied by greens and a parsnip puree. Both are desserts were really good (bread pudding and strawberry sorbet). I would highly recommend the bread pudding. Our drinks were also perfect. Our server wasn't all that great. She didn't seem present or engaged. Even though our particular server wasn't great, I gave it 5 stars because the food and drink were SO GOOD!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot on the HillSammyDined on 4/9/2014Marjorie is such a great little restaurant. Food, service and atmosphere were all wonderful. I can't wait to go back when the weather is warmer and the garage door walls are open. There is also a cute little patio.Special Features:
- This was my second time inwaytogoDined on 4/9/2014This was my second time in this restaurant and I was even more impressed than the first time. It was the first time for two of the five persons in our party and they were totally blown away by the steak entree and a dessert called Chocolate something or other. I am vegetarian and chose something called Kayla's Kichatri (sp?) with a side order of broccoli. In three words, I LOVED IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Eclectic SpotBubblesDined on 4/9/2014I went to Marjorie for the first time as part of Seattle Restaurant Week and had a great time. My dinner companions had frequented Marjorie when it was downtown and were already sold. I love little gems like this that are lively with a bit of eclectic funk.The pre~fixe menu was innovative and had very complimentary courses. The daily menu was also wonderful not to mention a great cocktail and wine list. I'm sure to go back for good food, fun ambience and friendly service.Special Features:
- Excellent, inventive cuisineSonomaWineDivaDined on 4/7/2014We dined during Restaurant Week. The jerk pork entree was classy and had just the right burn, enhanced by the hot pepper dipping sauce and the Caribbean-style peas 'n' rice and greens. The seared sole was seared snapper the night we dined, but also first-rate. Only flaw is the seriously expensive wine list. There's no excuse to have just ONE bottle under $40 in a restaurant where regular entrees are mostly under $25. We did take the $36 Prosecco rosé, which did fine throughout the meal and felt festive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem on Union StreetdmwseattleDined on 4/4/2014We've been somewhat regulars at Marjorie, and just love the place. Donna (the owner) is a charming host, and her staff are always on top of everything. Our meal there last week was delightful, and the best dining there yet. The Spring dish of stinging nettle pasta was spectacular. We highly recommend this dining venue!Special Features:
- It has narrow menu. It isOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014It has narrow menu. It is a fun place to go, but are never satisfied with the food.Special Features: