1412 East Union
Seattle, WA 98122Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marjorierestaurant.com/
- Phone: (206) 441-9842
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joshua Davenport
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Marjorie delights in catering to your needs and the requirements of your off site gathering. We use high quality, fresh ingredients to create an array of delectable dishes. We offer drop off or pick-up service, as well as high end, attentive and detail oriented service to meet your needs.
- Private Party Facilities: The Annex is a private dining facility that comfortably seats up to 50 people. Smaller Parties can be accommodated in a semi-private setting, or can buy out the room to have complete privacy.
- Private Party Contact: Donna Moodie 2064419842x
- Entertainment: Marjorie does not have live entertainment, but we are lively. The mix on the iPod and the Turntables in the Bathroom and Back Room provide guests with countless opportunities to spin while enjoying the animated atmosphere and culture at Marjorie.
- Cross Street: 14th and Union
- Public Transit: The number 2 makes a stop at 14th and Union. The number 8 and 11 are also close by. As regular Marjorie customer, the Bus Chick notes, Marjorie is easily accessible by a multitude of buses!
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is ample street parking, particularly to the south and east of the restaurant. Secured garage parking is also available in the Chloe Retail Parking Garage, on East side of 14th Avenue between Union and Madison.
A word from Marjorie Restaurant
Marjorie, the jewel box anchor on the corner of 14th and Union, is in Capitol Hill’s latest hot zone. Marjorie, the pride of owner, Donna Moodie, who is reknowned for urban trend-spotting while designing hip, urbane spaces. Marjorie’s kitchen creates amazing, delicious cuisine, using fresh, local, sustainable ingredients. Under the guidance of reknown Chef, Joseph Bollag, Marjorie takes a respectful approach to eclectic cuisine, focusing on fabulous, high quality ingredients. At Marjorie, hospitality is as important as what's in the glass and on the plate. Attentive and caring service are qualities that keep Marjorie's guests returning. The charming, warm, hand crafted interior, complimented by a lovely courtyard patio await you. The recent addition of a second dining room, provides more seating and a great place to host a party. A warm interior, tremendous cuisine, and crafted cocktails are indeed how Marjorie feeds the soul.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Marjorie Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill / First Hill ›
Marjorie Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (70)fit for foodies (69)great for outdoor dining (48)romantic (24)special occasion (22)good for groups (18)notable wine list (15)hot spot (14)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- A very nice experience. TheyjobaDined on 1/7/2014A very nice experience. They are proud of their wine list $$$$. Menu innovative.Special Features:
- RaymondRaymondDined on 12/31/2013I highly recommend this restaurant. Everything about the evening was great. The owner comes out and chats with eveyone to make sure they're happy and satisfied. Met many return customers and people that have followed her throughout her move here in Seattle. That alone speaks volumes for this happy place. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Another great meal at Marjorie'sHandsomeBobsCaretakerDined on 12/31/2013Four of us went for NYE dinner and as usual, we loved it. We ended up seated in the back room (didn't know they had it and its awesome!) and really had a great meal, amazing service and everything was terrific. Keep up the great work Marjorie team!Special Features:
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/23/2013it was amazing! i loved going there !!!! it is my favorite restaurant !!!!!! the setting of the restaurant is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From making the reservationStevenDined on 12/16/2013From making the reservation to the fantastic food and bread pudding dessert, it was all excellent!Special Features:
- Definitely Top 5 in SeattlesonofchaosDined on 12/6/2013Just WOW! The flavors and diversity of foods were inspiring. So sorry I have not gone before this. Looking forward to many future dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marjorie a big hit!teddyDined on 12/2/2013We celebrated a milestone birthday with 11 folks the other evening. Service was fantastic and, as usual, the food was delightful! I pre-ordered appetizers for the table and they were a big hit. And, all meals came out at relatively the same time -- No easy feat! Bravo Marjorie! Thanks for making this a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My fav dinner spot in seattleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/22/2013Every time I visit Seattle I make a point of dining at marjorie. The food is always fresh and creative, the owner charming and the service understated, friendly and professional. I love Marjorie!Special Features:
- Food & Service - ExcellentjamwilsonVIPDined on 11/16/2013Second time at Marjorie & it was terrific both times. Food is well prepared & tasty with service being that perfect combination of friendly and the right amount of attentiveness. The only drawback is the place is small & tables are very close together - more a European feel. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Always greatSaoirseVIPDined on 11/9/2013One of my favorite restaurants, never disappoints. Great service, great food, a very chilled place. Love it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will returnLauraDined on 11/1/2013We love Marjorie and have been many times, sometimes sitting at the bar for dinner or if our party is bigger, it the back room, which is cozy and much quieter than the front room. Our service was great and so was our waitress, apps were delicious, but we were somewhat disappointed in our main meals for the first time. One person in our party had the duck and rated it "excellent" but the other three gave the main course just an "ok" rating. We will return to Marjorie, but this was the first time we were so so on our main course.Special Features:
- Great Food, Service was MehJasonDined on 10/23/2013A friend and I went here for dinner for Restaurant Week. The food was delicious -- and it came out of the kitchen quickly. The problem was that we felt very rushed by the waitress. While she was very polite and attentive, we were not even two bites into dessert when she delivered the check ("No rush, I'll take care of it when you're ready"). We're used to waiting until we're actually done with dessert to get a check and maybe check in with us to see if we wanted coffee or anything else before delivering the bill. I understand wanting fast turn around for Restaurant Week but I'm sure they could have done it a bit more subtly. Other than that, the experience was great.Special Features:
- WHen someone said MarjoriemaryDined on 10/22/2013WHen someone said Marjorie was intimate, I assumed quiet & cozy. Cozy is correct but quiet is not. Space is very small, cooperation needed (and kind of fun) with tables near you to get you and your food in and out. Had the scallop crudo appetizer which was great - fresh, light very flavorful. Other outstanding dish was the Pork Shoulder which had wonderful flavor but way too little greens. We also had the beet salad which was good but nothing unusual, and the Risotto with chanetrelles that was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful restaurantCarolynVIPDined on 10/20/2013Charming, inviting and really good food. Especially wonderful desserts. The staff took great care of us. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited MenuPawsterDined on 10/18/2013The menu was full of unpasturized cheeses. Our pizza was worse than cheap takeout, the salad was not great. everything seemed very hodge podge-- ESP in the weird back room where the wall kept rattling. The cook and the waitress had a small argument about what was even in the gnocchi. definitely not going back.
- Delicious, eclectic, adult funkyGabrielleVIPDined on 10/18/2013Sumptuous food, eclectic decor and wonderful service! We were in the back room where the noise level is lower, allowing for a wonderful chat. We asked our server for recommendations and each dish was perfect. Plantains (get a half portion for 2 people), divers scallops ceviche, lamb sausage, black Skinned cod, romasc (?spelling, like broccoli but better) and for dessert chocolate cake with bay ice cream. The coffee was ok. We'd recommend Marjorie's to anyone who loves food!eSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All of our food was amazingGoodfoodDined on 10/18/2013All of our food was amazing but the mushroom pappardelle was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef-Cooked Food + At-Home AmbiancePeachInSeattleVIPDined on 10/17/2013Went to Marjorie for SRW because from what I saw on Yelp, it was a pretty popular place with great food and is normally $$$. I had never heard of it but had walked by the main intersection a few times. It is nestled underneath an apartment/condo complex and looks like a nursery (plants). I'm normally not a fish person but I decided to get the seared rockfish and it was SO BUTTERY. It was probably the best fish I've ever had: not fishy tasting and very buttery. This place is a must-go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week delightKellGavDined on 10/16/2013We ate in the back room at a single table that had three parties of two at it--this was a bit awkward. The music was great, but loud, and it was difficult to hear each other across the table. The food was very delicious and the service was friendly. We eventually began chatting with the other parties at our table, and even switched our seating arrangement so we sat next to our dates, which made a huge difference when it came to the noise and hearing conversation. Not sure if Marjorie usually seats folks in the back or if it is typically for larger parties, but it wasn't the best for two people. Food, cocktails, service were all quite excellent. This is out of our price range but it was such a treat to go during Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- DelishlovetodineVIPDined on 10/15/2013The food was good and the service was good too. however, i didn't care for the seating in the back room. It was noisy and cold.Special Features:
- Pricey but goodJakeDined on 10/14/2013Went here during restaurant week. Excellent food (bread pudding dessert was awesome). Pricey though, s I'm not sure I would go outside of restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmmm plantain chipsKmkb33Dined on 10/12/2013Not often the restaurant owner personally stops at every table - it happens here. Somewhere between the plantain chips and the pork rib ragu you realize you are reveling in one of the best meals you have ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic mix of food and music.flemjonDined on 10/10/2013Eclectic mix of food and music. A real treat - enjoyed the whole experience.Special Features:
- Always enjoyableTGF58VIPDined on 10/10/2013What a wonderful neighborhood restaurant. The food was was excellent; we tried the duck which came in a generous portion, and the black cod and would recommend both. Our server was particularly pleasant and friendly, making the entire evening a great memory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy food and very good service!mkbaracDined on 10/8/2013Yummy food and very good service! Fun, unique preparations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rekindled lovepetercVIPDined on 9/28/2013Have been going to Marjorie for years and love the vibe, it has been a comfortable neighborhood staple, but at our most recent dinner there this weekend I found a awesome new menu and had an absolutely incredible meal all around. Thanks Donna.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe an off night.FernHavenDined on 9/27/2013Marjorie's is a very cute "neighborhood" restaurant. We picked this place because of its four stars. We sat in their new back room section which had four or five large "family style" dinning tables. Although the food is very good, the service was slow. We ordered drinks and three or four appetizers and all of the appetizers made it out before the drinks. There was way to much time between courses. We even joked that the fastest thing to the table was the bill. I would try Marjorie's again for the food just to see if it was an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marjorie a hitmichaelsDined on 9/21/2013A great evening at Marjorie. Excellent service, great food, a last chance to dine outdoors before autumn. All in all a perfect evening. Marjorie never lets you down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and deliciousRichardVIPDined on 9/18/2013We dined outdoors in the dying days of summer and shared delicious plantain chips and salmon crudo to start. We both felt like burgers for the main course although many more lofty choices were available. They were done perfectly and piled high with fries and homemade spicy ketchup. Five stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seattle GemFoodie13VIPDined on 9/14/2013Menu offers wide selection so bring your fussy diners. Enjoy plantain chips and pineapple salsa while trying to decide. I ordered several starters for my meal (baby octopus, chicken tikka masala and seared broccoli raab) plus a refreshing mocktail. My dinner companion graciously shared his delicious Pappardelle. The food was ocean/garden fresh. Outdoor dining had ambiance of a private garden - delightful and relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marjorie lifts my spirit!!CraigDined on 9/14/2013Very atmospheric backdrop on Hip Capitol Hill. Tremendous versital revolving menu selection and always presented, prepared perfectly! And Donna the owner is delightfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marjorie is a major find!senseijeffDined on 9/13/2013Server was attentive & greeted us not too long after being seated (water was immediate by an assistant server). Like most restaurants on the hill, not an over expanding menu. But if you have an idea of what you want for dinner, it's best to check the menus on Opentable.com (one stop shopping!) then you won't be disappointed. (For example they didn't have a chicken dish, but I was in the mood for a burger anyway!) Ambience was more than perfect. And there was no feeling of being rushed to "turn the table". One minor hiccup at the end, it took 15 mins for the dessert to arrive. But if that's the worst that happens after a great meal then I would still give Marjorie an overall 5 star.Special Features:
- Wonderful, as alwaysPDDoc2Dined on 9/10/2013Marjorie Resturant never disappoints. Both the food and service are consistently excellent. Good drinks too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable~OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/1/2013I stopped here a few years ago for a drink and didn't care for it--maybe it was the hustling bar or the crowded front door (it was cold out). I figured i'd try it out again and took my boyfriend out to dinner here--it was great. Made a reservation and were seated on the patio easily. No waiting and no fuss. Plus, the staff was easy going and efficient. The food, atmosphere, and service + the weather were all great. Couldn't of had a better evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and relaxingnakedtonueVIPDined on 8/20/2013A very nice way to end a stressful day. Casual atmosphere, very nice patio seating filled with brightly colored plants and flowers. Plantain chips and clams to start, both with quality ingredients and made with care. House made pasta had great texture, substantial but not too filling. Love all their sauces and dips with each plate. Cocktails weren't very consistent but still above average.Special Features:
- No room outside- hot insideOpenTableBDFVIPDined on 8/16/2013we had made reservations hoping for a table outside because inside it gets hot when the temp is near 80. But no luck. Food was good but plaintains were sooo salty that we did not eat many. The short rib salad was very pretty but the meat was very tough...hard to believe it was short rib. But the menu looked fun so we will try againSpecial Features:
- enjoyed the halibut preparedskfoodiesDined on 8/15/2013enjoyed the halibut prepared just right moist and full of flavor!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place...DaveDined on 8/11/2013Very glad we stumbled upon this little gem. Try the plantain chips and salsa - excellent! Interesting cocktails as well; the Kirby was v nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesTravnmichaDined on 8/10/2013Shhhh. Don't tell anyone. But this place rocks. Outside seating. Cozy yet private. Great warm fun friendly staff. We go often. So please find your own sweet spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm and RelaxingSparkspitDined on 8/10/2013This is our favorite restaurant in a town full of foodie places. We are always welcomed and treated with friendliness. The drinks are delicious and the food always changing and always wonderful. We have eaten here many times; it is our go-to place for out of town guests and special occasions. Once the back room was cool, once my scallops arrived less than hot; these issues were solved quickly and easily. Unpretentious and delicious, we love Marjorie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.