1412 East Union
Seattle, WA 98122Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marjorierestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2064419842x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joshua Davenport
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Marjorie delights in catering to your needs and the requirements of your off site gathering. We use high quality, fresh ingredients to create an array of delectable dishes. We offer drop off or pick-up service, as well as high end, attentive and detail oriented service to meet your needs.
- Private Party Facilities: The Annex is a private dining facility that comfortably seats up to 50 people. Smaller Parties can be accommodated in a semi-private setting, or can buy out the room to have complete privacy.
- Private Party Contact: Donna Moodie 2064419842x
- Entertainment: Marjorie does not have live entertainment, but we are lively. The mix on the iPod and the Turntables in the Bathroom and Back Room provide guests with countless opportunities to spin while enjoying the animated atmosphere and culture at Marjorie.
- Cross Street: 14th and Union
- Public Transit: The number 2 makes a stop at 14th and Union. The number 8 and 11 are also close by. As regular Marjorie customer, the Bus Chick notes, Marjorie is easily accessible by a multitude of buses!
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is ample street parking, particularly to the south and east of the restaurant. Secured garage parking is also available in the Chloe Retail Parking Garage, on East side of 14th Avenue between Union and Madison.
A word from Marjorie Restaurant
Marjorie, the jewel box anchor on the corner of 14th and Union, is in Capitol Hill’s latest hot zone. Marjorie, the pride of owner, Donna Moodie, who is reknowned for urban trend-spotting while designing hip, urbane spaces. Marjorie’s kitchen creates amazing, delicious cuisine, using fresh, local, sustainable ingredients. Under the guidance of reknown Chef, Joseph Bollag, Marjorie takes a respectful approach to eclectic cuisine, focusing on fabulous, high quality ingredients. At Marjorie, hospitality is as important as what's in the glass and on the plate. Attentive and caring service are qualities that keep Marjorie's guests returning. The charming, warm, hand crafted interior, complimented by a lovely courtyard patio await you. The recent addition of a second dining room, provides more seating and a great place to host a party. A warm interior, tremendous cuisine, and crafted cocktails are indeed how Marjorie feeds the soul.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Marjorie Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill / First Hill ›
Marjorie Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (61)neighborhood gem (61)great for outdoor dining (47)romantic (23)special occasion (22)good for groups (15)notable wine list (10)late-night find (9)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Under the RadarBuxomly71Dined on 10/23/2014Vibrant restaurant with limited seating creates a romantic setting for great food and drink. Service was on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014The Bartender, Mikey, was fun, engaging and helpful even though he was extremely busy. The food portions were to small to fill even the tiniest of appetites, even for 3 courses. My daughter and I shared all 6 dishes, our favorite was the cauliflower appetizer, it was AMAZING in flavor! Our Butternut soup was luke warm and bland, the trout with sweet roasted pepper tapenade was salty and the trout was over cooked, unfortunately the two desserts left were not good and we both have a sweet-tooth. I appreciated the opportunity to have a variety of choices that were both unique and artful. I would return and try more dishes on the menu, the trout was new for the kitchen and has potential.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantlradDined on 10/22/2014I love this restaurant and would normally give it 5 stars except that it was restaurant week and crazy busy. They did an excellent job with food and service, even when packed.Special Features:
- Do not go during Restaurant WeekReviewbyMelDined on 10/22/2014The food was delicious, but it was busy because it was Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- Restaurant weekMsrdhDined on 10/19/2014We decided to try Marjorie's for restaurant week! What a great pick...delicious! Loved itSpecial Features:
- LovegoodfoodDined on 10/18/2014I had heard good things about Marjorie's. All was good, but I did not realize that the restaurant has two sections - the front section is beautiful; however, the back section, in which we were seated, is a strange, perhaps even claustrophobic room enclosed by curtains hiding restaurant back stuff. I would like to go back and sit in the front section - perhaps that would be a better experience.
- A.M.A.Z.I.N.GDanielleVIPDined on 10/13/2014I had been to Marjorie for a drink and also to give it a go once. Then I was blown away and wanted to keep coming back. Specially for their beautiful little tiny glasses where they serve you breathtaking port wine. So my partner and I decided to give it a shot for dinner. I must add that I have an extremely limiting selection for food due to many many dietary restrictions. We spoke with the waitress (Rose is just the best thing when it comes to making sure all the T's are crossed and I's dotted) and she completely understood the issue and even shared that many of the staff have various food allergies and intolerances. She even introduced us to Emily who was extremely understanding. Plus, I should add all this took place on my birthday to!Special Features:
- Casual neighborhood spotDayenightVIPDined on 10/9/2014The last time we dined here was a Summer evening and I remember it being a very adult and fine dining experience. So when my husband and I went for date night, we were surprised and disappointed. Although the service welcoming and food excellent, the atmosphere was casual and boisterous, with a loud group near the door and a young family with screaming kids a few tables over. More like a cafe/bar that serves dinner, than a chic restaurant. Next time well wear jeans and bring the kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite go to spot!Luv2dineDined on 10/4/2014Amazing food and cocktails, warm friendly, neighborly atmosphere- walking into Marjorie on a crisp fall night is the perfect embraceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cosy comfort foodfitchefVIPDined on 10/3/2014Our spontaneous evening out at Majorie couldn't have gone better. Though space is limited and we were tucked into a table quite close to the next diners, once we got settled and had our margaritas it really didn't matter. The food was plentiful, heathy and best of all adventurous without being strange. The service was very friendly and dinner was served promptly. Can't say enough good things about our experience. We plan to go back soon!Special Features:
- Always a treatdaleosVIPDined on 10/3/2014Eating at Marjorie is always a great experience, the drinks are well made, the atmosphere is fun, the clientele varied and the food is surprising and terrific. Donna is front and center and you feel as if you are dining in someones home. A great little spot.Special Features:
- Caution food allergiesMPLStransplantVIPDined on 9/27/2014While overall the food was good and we loved the ambiance, we notified our server early on of my sever food allergy and when I ordered my dinner it came with tree nuts on it and her response when I asked for an a new dish made it seem like it was my fault. She also came back saying it was the last steak so Id have to order something else. It happens, but our experience after was strange.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great First DateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Very much enjoyed my first experience at Marjorie. Wait and Bar staff were welcoming, knowledgeable and friendly. Interesting cocktails to start and a variety to choose from. The Fried Plantins were really good. Didn't know quite what to expect but were a great way to start. Preparations of our main courses were excellent. Interesting flavors and presentations for both the chicken and the pork tenderloin - both were excellent. I would certainly recommend Marjorie and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014We go back time and time again. The food continues to evolve with the seasons and the chef and owner are inventive to say the least. Don't miss anything seasonal, next time you go back it will be gone/updated. The roast chicken rocks every time and if you just want a burger, you won't be disappointed. I almost always get a pasta or fish, hard to choose. Oh, cocktails there are well crafted as well. They have hard to find ingredients, my favorite is Sips Smith Gin from London. Try to find that in Seattle. Cheers!Special Features:
- Charming experienceSitdowncomedyVIPDined on 9/17/2014Food, service and ambiance were wonderful. Owner is exceptionally charming and involved in every aspect.Special Features:
- Gracious welcomeEsroDined on 9/13/2014This is a restaurant that takes its cue from the warmth of its owner/host Donna Moodie. A very welcoming atmosphere with very good cooking.Special Features:
- Great experience!WasfunDined on 9/5/2014Really a cute little place, great food, great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodFoodfanVIPDined on 8/28/2014Donna and her team always provide great food and service in their wonderful neighborhood location. It is one of my go to restaurants on Capitol Hill. Most recently took some friends from London who loved it too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for friend's birthday dinnertiomiguelDined on 8/20/2014This was my first-time dining at Marjorie, but I'll be back -- whenever I'm in Seattle. I was visiting from Tucson, and wanted to take an old Seattle friend some place special for her birthday. Marjorie definitely fit the bill! The food was excellent, the service was attentive, helpful, and personable -- without being obtrusive. The space is not large, but it's well laid out, with outdoor dining that would be perfect on an evening just a little less cool than the one when we were there. I'd definitely recommend this restaurant for anyone wanting a romantic, intimate, little neighborhood dining destination.Special Features:
- Outstanding servicemariedDined on 8/16/2014Came here to celebrate a special occasion....and the food, and especially the service rose to meet our high hopes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun food, Bohemian vibeRossMcKVIPDined on 8/12/2014Marjorie is very casual and the food is very good. The relaxed feel of the restaurant is a surprising contrast to excellent cooking of wildly varied dishes. My wife and I had four "I" dishes (small plates) that we treated as tapas, sharing them. 3 of the four were superb, the fourth wasn't bad. I can recommend the chanterelle saute, which was great, a bit spicy with baby artichokes and berries. The bruschetta with chevre, nectarines, mint, and walnuts was delicious. We also like the octopus and chorizo. The chicken tikka masala was fine, but the least of the four. Dessert was a brioche bread pudding. Oh, so good. Go to Marjorie, even if only for dessert! Service was excellent, the wine list okay, and we'd be back if we lived here.Special Features:
- Great drinks, fabulous foodKDSeattleDined on 8/9/2014We had a lovely evening at Marjorie. The cocktail menu is diverse and delicious. We had the plantain chips with salsa and scallop ceviche-- absolutely yummy. We also had the grilled prawns and the salmon-- both wonderful. Great service. The metal seats outside don't look comfortable-- until you sit in them-- they were more comfy than most restaurant chairs. The only down side is there is no view.Special Features:
- Small plates and moreOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2014Very much enjoyed the outdoor seating along with a chanterelle mushroom plate and cold lamb salad. So good I had to go for the scallops as an entrée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great experienceNeatWhiskeyDined on 7/25/2014My girlfriend and I recently celebrated our second anniversary at Marjorie and it was absolutely perfect. We had a bottle of Bordeaux, friend plantains, pupusa, and steak. They all went perfectly together. Desert was bread pudding - the best I've ever had. I highly recommend Marjorie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and eclecticOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/19/2014Great food, interesting variety and fresh ingredients - standouts were hanger steak, seared scallops and house-made pasta with pork ragu for mains and papusa and scallop crudo to start. It's eclectic but, just like the restaurant itself, a wonderful mix. We sat in the new back room on a rainy summer night with the doors open and tunes playing from the collection of vinyl. Service was fantastic - helpful suggestions (both food and music!) and good pacing in spite of the several large groups that were seated at the same time as us. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something really SpecialVinoForTwoPleaseVIPDined on 7/5/2014Ceviche w plantain chips, clams, chicken Tikka and scallops. All amazingly creative and wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shortlatteDined on 7/3/2014We enjoyed the garden patio atmosphere and had a delicious meal. The servers were amazing...we had a very attentive waitress, and the owner was also helping by visiting tables and filling water glasses. Very memorable meal and we ate every course. The place has a nice energy, and is also intimate so you can easily hear each other across the table. We will be back!Special Features:
- The following 224 reviews are from the Marjorie Restaurant reviews archive.
- Go to spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/24/2014Always good, but this time even better. All four of us dining had great meals, well presented and a nice wine list by the glass for each.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, wonderful.FoodiesfromfarawayDined on 6/22/2014The food was exquisite and service impeccable. We were lucky enough to sit outside in the patio area, enjoying a warm summer's breeze as we dined.Special Features:
- Consistenly DelectibleMishaGDined on 6/17/2014Marjorie is our favorite. The delectable food, creative drinks, warm ambiance and inviting staff are sure to bring a smile. We loved Donna during her 'Lush Life' years and we are so glad that we discovered 'Marjorie' three years ago.Special Features:
- A Wonderful EveningsitstayeatDined on 6/9/2014We recently celebrated our daughter's college graduation here and had a very memorable evening. The six of us ordered a wide array of appetizers, entrees and desserts and we all loved what was served. Our favorites---the plantain with ceviche, the halibut, the rabbit and the monkey bread pudding. The restaurant has a casual and cozy vibe with excellent service and wonderful food. It was our first time here, but we'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Seculded Oasis on Capitol HillElkArcherVIPDined on 6/2/2014Deceptively small from the front Marjorie has a great outdoor dining venue in the front and a much larger dining room in the back of the restaurant. All of the food was original and well executed. Northwest and regional in nature, sourcing and style, Marjorie brings it all together in a really unique intimate environment. If you are looking for a get away that is close by but feels miles from the city try Marjorie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food4meFood4meDined on 6/1/2014It was our second visit and it was even better than the first, which was pretty great. The food is delicious and just the perfect portion size ,even for sharing .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!HeartSeattleVIPDined on 5/31/2014I can't believe this restaurant isn't talked about more. The food is amazing, the service is really good, and the ambiance is wonderful! The plantains were really good, the seafood dishes were outstanding, and the dessert couldn't have been better. I'm generally really wary of giving anything five stars, but I was truly impressed with this place and couldn't believe that this wasn't on any of those "top" lists. Make a reservation and try it out!Special Features:
- Marvelous Marjorie'scheriruDined on 5/28/2014Had a wonderful dinner with great service. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as great second time backjac425Dined on 5/25/2014Returned to Resturant for second time in less than a month. First time was amazing. This time not so great. Plantain appetizer had too cooked plantains. One step away from burned. Sides were so so. Main courses lackluster. Disappointed but will give them one more chanceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!tu2tuGirlDined on 5/24/2014Went to dinner with girlfriends on a Saturday night. Outside of the great company we enjoyed delicious food (including to die for the plantain chips), a lovely selection of wine and cocktails and Donna was her usual gregarious and friendly self which made us feel very welcomed. I will definitely tell friends and will be back for dinner again soon.Special Features:
- Wonderful in every way!!!Thoughtfulfood88Dined on 5/18/2014Every once in awhile you find a gem of a restaurant that fills your happy tummy and soul and Marjorie's is it!!! The food was exquisite, beautiful and ever so tasty. We shared the Burrata--a dream to start with, the local greens salad and an amazing pasta with a sauce that incorporated pistachio, and roasted red pepper. Rosa was very attentive, kind and wonderful with her suggestions. The space is beautiful with the cobalt blue walls and I can imagine dining outside too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was ok.lovetodineVIPDined on 5/11/2014I ordered a medium hamburger and it was well done. The meat was tough and salty. The goat dressing on my salad was salty. The bread pudding is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love MarjoriepansyollieVIPDined on 5/10/2014You don't read a lot about this restaurant but the food is amazing. The owner is formerly of Lush Life and Marco's Supper Club. All four of us in our party ordered something different and we all thought the food, wine and even the lemon seltzer drink was fantastic. I particularly love the outdoor dining and the glass-lined seating right when you walk in the door. We sat in the "back room" this time which the rest of my party really liked - and the restaurant really needs so they can seat more people - but I missed the windows and didn't like the ambiance as much. Otherwise it would be five star all around.Special Features: