Mario's Restaurant - Arthur Ave.
2342 Arthur Avenue
Bronx, NY 10458Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Mario's Restaurant - Arthur Ave.
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mariosarthurave.com/
- Phone: 7185841188x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Joseph Migliucci
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Privet dining rooms available, for party"s 20 to 140.Weddings,Birthdays,Anniversary,Graduations,,and more.
- Private Party Contact: Joseph or Regina 7185841188x
A word from Mario's Restaurant - Arthur Ave.
World famous Mario's Restaurant, the only New York City area restaurant to win America's Regional Classics 2000 James Beard Restaurant Award. The Five Generations of the Migliucci Family have been serving the people since 1919. They have indeed, built up a reputation to be enviable; not only from among their many regular satisfied customers who come here often with there family and friend. We have earned the admiration and respect of our competitors as well. When you arrive at Mario's you will be warmly greeted by Joseph Migliucci,my wife Barbara or daughter Regina and our gracious staff. Our wait staff will help you through our extensive menu, daily specials and our award winning dishes. All the food is made to order, prepared by. Master Chefs Michael and Mario, using only the purest, freshest highest quality ingredients. Our old world recipes that truly bring out the delicious flavors of the food. Your experience will be a memorable one.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Mario's Restaurant - Arthur Ave. - Best Restaurants in Bronx ›
Mario's Restaurant - Arthur Ave. reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)good for groups (16)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (10)special occasion (10)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (3)romantic (3)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Arthur Avenue Shining Star!TravelingGuyDined on 10/11/2014First time at Mario's after dining many times at another local establishment across the street (the one without the menu!). Everything about our dinner was perfect! Wonderful being able to make our reservation online and having our table ready for us upon our arrival. Our waiter Jack was phenomenal in all respects. He made fabulous suggestions as far as specials and regular menu items and was VERY accommodating with our 4 year old, making sure his "sketti" and meatballs arrived quickly. I had the Osso Buco special and it melted in my mouth. Others had the braciole and raved about the flavor and tenderness. All in all, a fantastic night.Special Features:
- Open on Sundays---and Great!PeterDined on 10/5/2014Eating at Marios was the perfect Sunday complement to a brilliant day at the NY Botanical Gardens. The food and the service were very good and it wasn't noisy or too crowded in the afternoon..Special Features:
- Love Mario's on Arthur AveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014I've been going to Mario's for years! I live in CT now and make the trip down to Arthur Ave every couple of months. The Food and Service is wonderful and consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-game DinnerNeighborDined on 9/19/2014Met 2 friends fro a Yankee pre-game dinner. We arrived about 4:30 p.m. so we had the restaurant and the staff to ourselves. Great food, great service, convenient to the stadium and 6 bakery's within a stone's throw to get some "treats to go."Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/16/2014We were hungry so we went in a little early which was not a problem. Asked for a corner table which was accommodated. The food was delicious and the service excellent. We would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-So Fare on Arthur Ave.MattVIPDined on 9/6/2014Mario's didn't quite make the cut for us. The owner and waiter were aiming to please, but the food was average, at best. The best part was the Italian bread & oil at the start, with abundant sesame seeds coating warm crusty loafs and a soft interior. But the meal went downhill and my chicken parm was unremarkable, with nondescript marinara sauce and white Kraft-like cheese coating the bland chicken (with a minuscule pasta side). Other dishes (pizza, eggplant, cavatelli with oil, broccoli & garlic) were okay but nothing you'd expect in this Italian stronghold. The decor has seen better days (stained tablecloth, to boot), which some might find retro but with the stiff competition in the NYC-area Mario's needs to up its game or be left behind.
- Mario's serves fine foodMJGHVIPDined on 9/6/2014The owners and staff at Mario's treat diners like valued guests. The waiter and bus boys were pleasant and helpful. We found all dishes to be delicious: pizza appetizer, red snapper Napolitano, pasta Siciliana, sautéed spinach, hot coffee. I received a special dessert in honor of my birthday. My husband and I highly recommend Mario's.Special Features:
- Everything was "OK"BigGumbaDined on 9/5/2014Nothing to complain about or rave about. On par with any meal in a better pizzaria in the city. I have dined on excellent fried insects on the Mekong river to horrible foie gras on the Seine.Special Features:
- Mario'sLoriKDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I both had Francais; he chicken and me shrimp. Best Francais we have ever had, the waiter recommended it. A little more lemon than normal but the waiter told us that. The bread is delicious and the house cabernet is very good. The ceasar salad was a little overdressed but not overpowering. It is not a typical ceasar dressing, more olive oil than I am used to. Don't leave without trying the tiramisu for dessert. The restaurant is a little dark but that just adds to the a ambiance. I have been here twice and the service is fantastic. My daughter is a freshman at Fordham so I look forward to eating at Mario's over the next four years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All there, but mediocreHealthyEaterVIPDined on 8/16/2014All the favorite Italian dishes are on the menu, each cooked freshly for each patron, significantly slowing service, which would have been ok if the food was memorable, but none of the dishes four of us were served was. Shrimp scampi had a vinegary wine taste and large, but tough shrimps, the chicken cacciatore had a nondescript tomato sauce and the night's special, sea bass, was just okay. The service is pleasant, the restaurant is spacious and large family groups are common and welcomed. All and all, okay but nothing special.Special Features:
- Good food, reasonable pricesLuvagoodmealDined on 8/9/2014The place was very noisy and very crowded, which is fine if that's what you're in the mood for on Saturday night. The hostess asked for the name on the reservation and then realized she had already seated someone else under our reservation. After about a 15 minute wait, we were finally seated near the kitchen, so there was a lot of traffic. Service was OK, but not great. Food was good, traditional Italian, but certainly not the best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great after a Yankee gameYankeefanDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I were looking for a place to eat close to Yankee Stadium. This was perfect, good food casual dress (many Yankee shirts and jerseys) our waiter Jack was fantastic!!Special Features:
- mmm mmm good2citizenshipsVIPDined on 7/30/2014Once again, went for the thin crust pizza and was not disappointed. That and a glass or two of wine is very satisfying.Special Features:
- I go for the food2citizenshipsVIPDined on 7/22/2014Been coming here for ages because the food (especially the thin crust pizza) is that good and because my parents met here in the 30's but not for the service. We had the same waiter as last time and while he was better, he is never in the moment. I'd like to have a different waiter so I can rate the service better but it just doesn't seem to happen. I'll be back...for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pattyPattyDined on 7/16/2014WE (party of 6) arrived on time for our 7:00 PM reservation. There were approx 6 tables filled of the 30+ avbl. We were served our beverages immediately. Appetizers appeared in appropriate time. Dinner was REQUESTED at 8:45 PM where tempers flared because we waited so long. When dinner arrived, one entree was so overcooked it could not be cut. The others were mediocre, and no one finished their meal. Our waiter was very apologetic and understanding. It just appeared that there may not have been a kitchen staff as the normally busy, full Mario's Restaurant was empty on a Wednesday night. This was unusual for the normally great Mario's. We were very disappointed for our out of town guests!
- mario's On Arthur AveJohnnyDDined on 7/13/2014From thge moment we walked in we felt welcome. The food as excellent! One of the rare times I ever order Lasagna out and Boy! an=m I glad I did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FINALLY!!!!marinaDined on 6/27/2014a REAL italian restaurant with great really italians meals! bravo!!!!!Special Features:
- The following 77 reviews are from the Mario's Restaurant - Arthur Ave. reviews archive.
- Good!AdamJosephCDined on 6/21/2014Mario's, overall, is definitely worth checking out. The ambiance is nice, the service is great, and for the price, the food is good. Nothing here will blow you out of the water, and this might not be the place to go if you're looking for your new favorite dish, but Mario's is definitely a place to check out if you're in the area. Very good date spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As usual2bigfoodiesDined on 6/21/2014Always an experience, old fashion, family fun, great Italian specialties. Arrived early, 5:00' best time.Special Features:
- Hit and missGlobaltrotterVIPDined on 6/7/2014Lunch during the week is a really good deal even though the portion is much smaller than the regular size. Food generally is good but nothing special. Fine if you are in neighborhood but not worth a special trip. Be aware of the wine, they gave us a corked bottle in two different occasions. We have to send them back!
- Italian food paradisetonyliDined on 5/31/2014The food was excellent.....great hot antipasta......fried calamari had a nice bite, fresh. the linguini w/white clam sauce was fresh, tasty....could have used a bit more garlic. The carrotts were "to die for", complimentary for every table. Delicious!! i was stuffed but could not resist the cannolli....joe the owner makes it himself (the waiter said so), one was not enough...i had to order a second. All in all a great experience, also met a wonderful couple celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary sitting next to me. They had gone there for dinner on their wedding day (eloped), and after 4 kids they still love the place.Special Features:
- The Real ThingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/29/2014This is where you get traditional, Neapolitan food in all its glory. Servings are enormous and everything is tasty. The service is fine if the waiters warm up to you. And as a bonus, the owner pipes in the best music from the 1940s.
- More than I had hoped for...almostGuenDined on 5/17/2014With the exception of a nasty woman Regina or Gina I had to deal with on the phone (who threatened to give away my table when I called to say my graduation ceremony was running a bit late), three good and service at Mario's was better than anything I expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GraduationDublin12Dined on 5/16/2014We had group of 7, waiter had some nice suggestions. Hot antipasta for starters family style was delicious. Everyone loved their choice for main meals only problem too full for desert!!! Next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mother's dayfifolDined on 5/11/2014We got seated exactly at our reservation time and didn't have to wait too long for that, however we waited 20 minutes just to have our order taken. We didn't actually get served our food for over an hour. The food was delicious and I would recommend it on an off night, not a holiday. There were only 2. Waiters and we waited way too long that we couldn't even egt excited about the food because we were way passed hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Your Annoying Aunt's best dinnerFoodMDDined on 5/11/2014We all have a relative who is annoying but can cook up a storm of good solid food for a mass of people. This spot reminds me of that. You have a familiarity with a great neighborhood and this is a long standing part of that hood. We were kept waiting even though we arrived on time for our reservation. The service was hard to flag down to order. The food was solid standard fare. Nothing flashy here, just old standards like your old aunt used to cook. Portion size was generous and served well when it finally arrived . Good value for the price.Special Features:
- Poor managementNothappyDined on 5/3/2014Long wait for food. Never brought bottle of wine orderedSpecial Features:
- Back to the BronxBarbieDined on 4/26/2014Arthur Avenue is special for my husband and myself. We met at Roosevelt High School and always love going back to the Bronx. Mario's is great- great food, great service and always a very warm feeling upon entering the restaurant. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Arthur Ave. great foodArthurAveExcellenceDined on 4/20/2014A true neighborhood gem! Great food and excellent service. Your meal will start with excellent warm and crusty Italian bread and end with a fantastic lemon gelato. Everything in between is just as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swell place. Delightful, personalsteveDined on 4/12/2014Swell place. Delightful, personal service. Excellent food in every respect. Broad and energized menu. Fun.Special Features:
- Place has gone downDomi111VIPDined on 4/12/2014The food isn't nearly as good as it used to be, red sauces were fairly tasteless and entrees weren't up to snuff. Even the baked clams appetizer was all bread, no clams, minimal garlic sauce.Special Features:
- A winnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014The service and food were topnotch! I was immediately impressed when I expressed a desire to be seated in an area that was not initially offered nor available but somehow became available upon asking! The marinated carrots that were served along with an awesome tasting bread basket were amazing! Never tasted anything like it. The calamari was delicious - light and tasty - didn't even need the "spicy" sauce it was served with and enjoyed it both ways. We enjoyed fresh fish specials for our meals that surpassed our expectations. The staff was friendly and made you feel right at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the two best restaurantsaracusduneDined on 3/29/2014One of the two best restaurants in New York City, They go out of the way to make you welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be backnycfoodieVIPDined on 3/29/2014I had been to Mario's years ago and had a good experience. It seems to be the only Arthur Avenue restaurant taking open table reservations, so I gave it a try, not wanting to wait long for a table. The service was excellent, but unfortunately the food was far from it. Calamari app was very good. I've never experienced tough chicken scarpariello. I could barely cut it and chewing was quite a chore. I'll wait for a table somewhere else next time I'm in the area.
- We ordered some of the recommendatiTVernonDined on 3/29/2014We ordered some of the recommendations from the waiter, and they were excellent! Very delicious Italian food, with a friendly, old world atmosphere. Very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed as always.NormaSDined on 3/22/2014Mario's never fails to please. Not only is the food so good but there is valet parking. Two in the party had the fish special and LOVED it. The fried Calamari was cooked to perfection. The portions are generous. They are well organized .....everything arrived at the tale at the same (approx.) time. We came with friends and felt relaxed and did not feel rushed. Parking is CRAZY in the area. Oh....and they accept reservations and are very friendly. One of the other popular restaurants does not and we waited ONE HOUR after arriving at 5:20pm on a very rainy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good standard Italian foodbp1114Dined on 3/22/2014I enjoyed my meal here. They give you carrots and warm bread with butter and oil on the table. The calamari appetizer was quite a large portion and very tasty. I had chicken francese that came with a side of pasta which was very good, but I was so full from the calamari and the bread that I couldn't enjoy it as much as I would've liked to. I wish I had room for dessert because they had a rainbow cookie cake that looked so good. My friend had rigatoni stuffed with ricotta which was kind of like a small manicotti or ravioli. She thought it was really delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have dined at Mario's manyihhltdVIPDined on 3/15/2014Have dined at Mario's many times over the years and this is the first time I was heavily disappointed. Food had little taste and no flair. Entrees were over-sauced to the point that the food was almost swimming. Had the sauce had any flavor, that might have made up for it. Would try another restaurant on the Avenue before going back again.Special Features:
- We chose this restaurant becauseorchidDined on 3/15/2014We chose this restaurant because of "free parking". We felt welcome and at home in this warm family style restaurant.. The food was fresh and wholesome but nothing special; service friendly and professional.Special Features:
- OutstandingSita216Dined on 3/15/2014We returned to Mario's after a 20 year hiatus to celebrate my mother's 75th birthday. We had an awesome time. The food was plentiful but more importantly scrumptious!Special Features: