Marion Street Cheese Market
100 South Marion Street
Oak Park, IL 60302Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Marion Street Cheese Market
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marionstreetcheesemarket.com/
- Phone: 7087257200x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Christi Dallam
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Marion Street Cheese Market would be delighted to cater events in your home or business. Fabulous artisan cheese trays, a delicious selection of charcuterie, paired with wine and beer. We can also provide breakfast pastries, sandwiches, desserts and quiches made to order. Other menu options available.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle Anderson 708-725-7200x
- Entertainment: Every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday Night, WDCB and Marion Street Cheese Market will be featuring some of the most respected jazz acts in the Chicagoland area, live in the MSCM bistro! No cover, music begins around 7pm.
- Special Events: Tuesday July 15th 6-8pm:
All you can eat and drink: Beer and Cheese Tasting. Featuring Lagunitas beer, Sumpin' Sumpin' and IPA. Delicious cheeses to pair with,
Cost is $25.00. Call 708.725.7202 to make a reservation or stop by our retail department to sign up.
Come eat, drink and mingle.
100 South Marion Street Oak Park IL
A word from Marion Street Cheese Market
We are a 3 star, green certified and Bib Gourmand recognized establishment. The Marion Street Cheese Market cafe pulls together everything that is great about local farms, wineries, breweries and more and transplants them onto our small plates menu -- a menu that changes with the season and the tastes of our customers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Marion Street Cheese Market - Best Restaurants in Oak Park ›
Marion Street Cheese Market reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (26)great for outdoor dining (20)great for lunch (14)notable wine list (14)great for brunch (14)special occasion (9)good for groups (9)kid-friendly (4)romantic (4)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- Loved the Mac & CheeseJP10Dined on 8/30/2014We dined on the sidewalk patio on a lovely Saturday night. The Midwest Tour cheese flight was a good mix, but the mac & cheese with BBQ pork really knocked our socks off! We'll definitely return.Special Features:
- Tasty yet slowTravelingTessDined on 8/28/2014The lunch crowd was all sitting outside. We were one of three tables inside. The service was super slow!! It was tasty but took 45 minutes to get sandwiches.Special Features:
- Accommodating!CdunnranDined on 8/15/2014We arrived for our 10:30 reservation and though we stayed past closing, service never lagged. Delicious macaroni and cheese, and a great flourless chocolate cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it appearsGalewoodGalDined on 8/10/2014I've been here often for brunch but hadn't been awhile. I checked the menu on line and it had some of the items I enjoyed in the past. Well the menu has changed and it's different then what's posted. I was really disappointed that they no longer had my two favorites. The waiter politely told me "We only have the items listed on the menu". Bummer. What I and my companion had was good but not what I had my mouth set for. The bloody mary was average. I asked for blue cheese olives but did not receive even though they sell them in the store. Bummer. The service was so so but did appreciate being able to chat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You should go here - really.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2014This place is literally a stone's throw from the Oak Park METRA/CTA station, so anyone can get here. The Sunday brunch menu is a bit limited, and the main menu has a greater variety of interesting choices. No matter - the cheese flight was fantastic, and that is this place's calling cards. If you do Sunday brunch, make sure to go on a day when they offer the chocolate chip pancakes. The gravlax special was very good, although the bagel was unremarkable. I recall from my first visit that their bread was very good, but they didn't get their delivery so with appropriate wait staff apologies the cheese was accompanied by a small loaf that tasted stale and defrosted - the only disappointment in an otherwise excellent meal. We'll be back.Special Features:
- New menu was disappointingOakParkdinerDined on 8/2/2014This was a favorite place for years, especially for brunch, but there was a new menu that was missing some old favorites. Wonderful cauliflower/cheese/apple sandwich no longer available on the weekend, we were told. Dish that I had, eggs benedict with asparagus, was bland.Special Features:
- Live music, great foodlove2dineopDined on 8/1/2014Love the ambiance - great place to start the weekend! The shrimp 'cocktail' with roasted potatoes and watermelon specials were outstanding, and the chicken macaroni was to die for. Great wine and drinks menu. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidJT78VIPDined on 7/31/2014We didn't care too much for the chicken mac n cheese (dark meat kind of tasted like turkey). But the 18 hour pork shoulder was absolutely fantastic.Special Features:
- Not my best visit, still very good!FergyDined on 6/29/2014Food was good, service was great! The website currently displays an outdated menu, so I drove an hour craving the Cauliflower Sandwich, only to find they've taken it off the weekend menu. They were kind enough to make it for me anyway, but left out a key ingredient (apples), so it didn't taste the same as last time. I'm not complaining-- I appreciated them trying to accommodate me-- they were kind to do so, and were very gracious to offer. The order of doughnuts that we decided to try was incredible-- homemade and delicious!! Our server was stellar-- my friend and I stayed until closing and we were never made to feel rushed. Still worth the drive, and I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Betsy1212Betsy1212VIPDined on 6/28/2014Great as usual. Menu always changes so there's always something new to look forward to. Four of us at dinner; two ordered the salmon plank, two ordered the porkchop. All were happy!Special Features:
- YummyGloriaDined on 6/28/2014The curry carrot ginger soup with he crab cake is crazy delicious! The cheese selection is great. The tuna was just okay, and the bread pudding was rather bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 6/10/2014Very good food but overpriced - $10 for a cauliflower sandwich?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duck!NooneVIPDined on 6/7/2014Always good food and margarita's. This time dinner was superb as alwaysSpecial Features:
- Consistently Excellenttrailfighter82Dined on 6/7/2014I've been to the Marion Street Cheese Market & Bistro on several occasions for both Brunch and Dinner and the food, service and ambiance are consistently on par with other top restaurants in the area. Each time I visit Marion Street my previous experience is exceeded by the friendly waitstaff and evolving menu. You cant go wrong with this Oak Park staple!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always slow service and moreOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/31/2014The food here is good but the service is unbearably slow. And I mean time and time again; lunch, dinner, early, late - doesn't matter. The new menu is not allergy-friendly either. Seems odd for a foodie place in 2014. May have to give up on what was once a local favorite.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/29/2014Fabulous Sole entree!! Waiter had good recommendations Will go againSpecial Features:
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/22/2014The menu is interesting and the food very good. Unfortunately, the service is chronically SLOW.Special Features:
- Mixed FeelingsNM14Dined on 5/16/2014Live in Oak Park and love visiting marion street cheese market for drinks and small plates. Came for dinner for the first time with my parents for a special occasion and was sorely disappointed. They were out of the pork and lamb entrees at 7pm on a Friday, with no other meat dishes except chicken on the menu/specials. Food was bland and the meat/cheese platter was forgotten and brought out after our meal was served. Still a beautiful restaurant and great wine/cheese but can't see myself going back for dinner.Special Features:
- Delicious!GloriaDined on 5/16/2014Beautiful yet casual. Excellent and knowledgable service. Fantastic food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/15/2014Menu is changing, long-time favorites gone, new chef has clearly not settled in yet. Very uneven fare.Special Features:
- Oak Park gemFudgeDined on 5/10/2014This is our favorite Oak Park restaurant. The food is always good and the bar usually features a tasty brew or two. The small plates of charcuterie, cheese, and pickled vegetables are quite good. As you might expect from a place that sells cheese, their macaroni and cheese is excellent as well. Now that summer is here, it is a great place to sit outdoors, sip a cold drink, and try a variety of small plates.Special Features:
- Great cheese and wine selectionshanghaijbDined on 5/8/2014We ordered the tuna small plate, a cheese platter and the steak tartare small plate. Of course some wine as well. They have an excellent cheese and wine selection. The tuna was good but came in a very small size which makes it a bit expensive for what you get. The steak tartare however is small but filling and tasty. We had dinner outside. Service was good and attentive but a tad slow. Overall we had a great dinner experience and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Gem but too expensive.GraceDined on 5/8/2014We enjoyed the ambiance/decor. On Thursdays , there is a duo playing fiddle and guitar, very pleasant. The service was good so was the food. Our only complain is that the portions were small but prices were high. Especially the wine by glass, the least expensive wine was for over $9.00 going up to $14 and $15 per glass. For a neighborhood place, no white table cloths , we went home with over $80 bill .Special Features:
- The following 352 reviews are from the Marion Street Cheese Market reviews archive.
- If you like cheeselovecheeseDined on 5/3/2014This is the place for cheese lovers. The food is great and I have never been disappointed with anything I've ordered.Special Features:
- Excellent Experience!AntonEgoDined on 4/30/2014I didn't catch his name, unfortunately, but the bartender who served us both drinks and dinner was outstanding. Extremely knowledgeable on both the wine and food. He graciously served us multiple wine samples and recommended ones we might like. Got a great bottle of Malbec for half-price on Wednesday, which was great! Apparently Tuesday is half-priced glass night, and Thursday night is live jazz. Go try Marion Street Cheese Market!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentbernay48Dined on 4/26/2014The food was different but very very good! I had the macaroni and cheese and it was made with a different kind of cheese which took some getting used to, but once I did it was very good. The donut holes were outstanding and one of the other ladies had pickled things and they are also very good. I would go there again; probably not as often as I would like because I live near the Wisconsin border, but would recommend it.Special Features:
- A real find in Oak ParkKageyDined on 4/19/2014I have been to the Marion Street Cheese Market several times and each time I have not been disappointed in either the food or the service. The wait staff is friendly and is very helpful in explaining the different cheeses and the selections that are on the menu. I would recommend this restaurant very highly.Special Features:
- Meat + Cheese :)GrumpyFoodieDined on 4/12/2014The food here is fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. If you like meats and cheeses, there just isn't any place better in Chicago. Every time we go, my wife insists on ordering an entree after the charcuterie platter. Every time, I think it will be too much food, and the entree can't be as good as the meat and cheese platter anyhow. And I'm wrong, every time. There are never leftovers. There are never regrets. Wait staff are fantastic and friendly, and know the food and wine. Decor is nice, but you won't notice one way or the other after the food comes.Special Features:
- Triple date nightLobsterMobsterDined on 4/4/2014I took my 3 girls (ages 7, 4, and 1) out for an early dinner on Friday and Marion Street Cheese Market delivered a wonderful date night for us. The cheese & charcuterie flight we ordered was devoured in short order. I was most impressed that after discussing and taking my wine order, the server returned with two tasters for me to sample because he thought I would like something else better. He made me do it blind and I actually picked his recommendation over my original order. This type of generosity and attention to detail made me want to write a review this time. At 5:30pm on Friday night I was impressed with how well the local happy hour crowd and families eating out early mixed seamlessly without ruining anyone's dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatNicoleBVIPDined on 4/3/2014Go on Thurs for the live jazz. Can't beat the cheese and meat plate and wine and beer list!Service is always great, and staff in the market also are very knowledgeable to help with guft suggestions or drink pairing to accompany a dinner you may be attending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood gem.SusanDined on 3/30/2014Clean restaurant. Delicious food. Good service. Love their wine and cheese shop. The man helped me picked out cheese and crackers that were delicious. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently delicious but SLOWOPRFLocalDined on 3/29/2014The food has always been tasty, but the price is high enough to deserve better service. Consistently, the wait staff are less attentive than the bus staff, and they need some training on timing the experience for guests. We ate in 30 minutes, then waited 30 minutes for the check. Beverage glasses are empty for a few minutes before anyone offers a refill. The wine and cheese selections are great in the shop, but I had a hard time finding anyone who could tell me how the varieties differ. They would sell more with well-spoken and experienced cheese and beer experts, along with a sommelier. We do enjoy the experience, but management needs to polish up the particulars a bit to recommend Marion Street Cheese Market at these prices.Special Features:
- Wish I could rate more than 5 starsFergyDined on 3/29/2014This place is fantastic! The menu is wonderful, the food is delicious, and the servers are efficient and very friendly. My friend and i shared a few dishes so that we could sample more items-- there were no disappointments. Special mention for the cauliflower sandwich, which is a little bit of heaven between two slices of bread :). I can't wait to go back to try more-- and I already have a mental list of other people I want to introduce to this gem of an establishment. Additionally, I purchased some wonderful cheeses, which their cheese mongers helped me select, letting me sample and compare along the way. All in all, my visit to Marion Street Cheese Market could not have been better, and I cannot recommend this place highly enough!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Happy!!HeatherC78VIPDined on 3/15/2014I was very happy with my experience here. I haven't gone here in 2yrs because I had horrible experiences back to back. However they have seemed to remedy ALL of the issues & I was beyond pleased. My server was a doll!!!!!! She knew what she was serving me when I chose a meat & cheese board. She was great with assisting on the wine pairing with it as well. I will definitely be back!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls nightFionaDined on 3/9/2014It's a cute market/wine shop/restaurant. The menu had classic brunch items with a twist and the market has an impressive selection. They have 1/2 price wine on Tuesday evenings and live Jazz on Thursdays. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oak Park GemCulebraDined on 3/6/2014Marion Cheese Market is an Oak Park Gem. Not only does it have a plethora of specialty cheeses, wines and other specialty foods, but the dining experience is wonderful. The bistro part of the establishment has a charming ambience that include candlelight, a lovely copper ceiling with wood furniture. The menu has a nice flair with an array of different food choices. Our meals were delicious with very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!LisaDined on 3/4/2014What a nice place for a casual dinner. Our waiter, Kevin, was the best!! Not only was he attentive, but he was very knowledgeable and helpful with the wines and the menu. We would go back just for his service again, but the food and wine are definitely worth going for. Start with the cheese puffs--just the right amount of zing. The risotto was so creamy and flavorful, and the grits and shrimp was amazing. If you eat dessert then have the bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best!MmommaDined on 2/23/2014I love coming here- the food, the specials, the relaxed atmosphere are all awesome. I come here with girlfriends & on date-nights with my husband- it's perfect for either! Would recommend this place 100%Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had reservations for ValentinesfoodyandwinoDined on 2/14/2014Had reservations for Valentines Day and was surprised that at 7:45 they had run out of one of the meal options that we wanted. food was good but not stellar. great wine though. will go back for wine and cheese but maybe not a full meal again.Special Features:
- Pleasant Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 2/9/2014I've been here a couple of times for Sunday brunch. The restaurant has a nice ambiance, good service, and a nice menu. Bit of a splurge but worth it. There's not a huge selection of options but something for everyone -- from french toast to sandwiches. They have a full bar for brunch so bloody mary's all around for my crew.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.