Marion Street Cheese Market
100 South Marion Street
Oak Park, IL 60302Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Marion Street Cheese Market
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marionstreetcheesemarket.com/
- Phone: (708) 725-7200
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Christi Dallam
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Marion Street Cheese Market would be delighted to cater events in your home or business. Fabulous artisan cheese trays, a delicious selection of charcuterie, paired with wine and beer. We can also provide breakfast pastries, sandwiches, desserts and quiches made to order. Other menu options available.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle Anderson 708-725-7200x
- Entertainment: Every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday Night, WDCB and Marion Street Cheese Market will be featuring some of the most respected jazz acts in the Chicagoland area, live in the MSCM bistro! No cover, music begins around 7pm.
- Special Events: Tuesday July 15th 6-8pm:
All you can eat and drink: Beer and Cheese Tasting. Featuring Lagunitas beer, Sumpin' Sumpin' and IPA. Delicious cheeses to pair with,
Cost is $25.00. Call 708.725.7202 to make a reservation or stop by our retail department to sign up.
Come eat, drink and mingle.
100 South Marion Street Oak Park IL
A word from Marion Street Cheese Market
We are a 3 star, green certified and Bib Gourmand recognized establishment. The Marion Street Cheese Market cafe pulls together everything that is great about local farms, wineries, breweries and more and transplants them onto our small plates menu -- a menu that changes with the season and the tastes of our customers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Marion Street Cheese Market - Best Restaurants in Oak Park ›
Marion Street Cheese Market reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (27)great for brunch (18)notable wine list (18)great for outdoor dining (18)great for lunch (17)special occasion (13)good for groups (11)romantic (10)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014Good food, service, but hard to talk over the Music.Special Features:
- Very relaxingEatsOutDined on 11/7/2014Our meals were very good. All servers had a smile. Excellent wine. Jazz quartet made the evening with sambas and boss's nova at just the right volume.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable visit on a MondayPeripateticDinerVIPDined on 11/3/2014In recent months we have had some excellent experiences at Marion Street Cheese Market. This time we were there on a Monday evening, when many restaurants are closed, and were seated inside. There was no live music that night, and the place was only about half full, so conversation was possible without raising our voices. The menu has changed a lot in the past few months; I miss some of the old appetizers including the pickled vegetables and the interesting olives. We especially enjoy the soups and salads, and we also like the cheese flights (unfortunately, wine flights are no longer offered). The retail section sells wines, cheeses, and many unusual bottled beers. It's a great place for a light meal or snack and a drink with friends.Special Features:
- Great TimeHeatherC78VIPDined on 10/27/2014This was a last minute decision after a doctors appointment. My Mom & I were heading back to her house & hungry. I hopped on my OpenTable app & saw they had an availability. I was there within minutes of making the reservation & they took us right away. We sat outsided since it was SO beautiful. Our server was a doll. She made some great recommendations. We had a cheese & meat board with a fig flatbread.........OUTSTANDING!!!! Loved the flatbread especially!! Definitely will be back!!Special Features:
- Fantastic ExperienceTracymanningDined on 10/24/2014I visited The Marion Street Cheese Market last weekend on a visit to Chicago. What a wonderful and enchanting experience! The location of the restaurant is quaint and the outdoor seating, lighting and entertainment were very romantic. The inside of the restaurant and market are remarkable, warm with a fireplace and never-ending ambience. The food was unmatched, service impeccable and although we were there on a busy Saturday night, the servers made us feel like we were the only table seated. I can not wait to book another trip to Chicago and Marion Street will be on my reservations list. Thank you so much to everyone at The Market for making our experience so wonderful.Special Features:
- Music on the patioPeripateticDinerVIPDined on 10/24/2014We sat on the covered patio where there was an excellent jazz quartet playing. The food was delicious and we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected gemmelissabmurrayVIPDined on 10/24/2014I have never spent much time in Oak Park before so I was totally blown away by the bistro at Marion Street Cheese Market. The service was really great - my friend was running about 30 minutes late for our reservation and the host/hostess moved my reservation no problem. The server for our meal was so sweet and helped both of us select between 2 entrees. I bought a few things from both the cheese counter and the dessert counter and both people helping were so friendly. I cannot wait to come back!Special Features:
- New menu...mehYourfoodiefriendVIPDined on 10/19/2014My family loved MSCM & ate here frequently. Usually multiple times per month. We had brunch with out of town friends one Sunday in May after gushing about the food only to have awful service & food that was likened to a hotel buffet. For that & other reasons, we did not return for over 2 months. We came back after hearing about the new chef & menu. The new menu is good but small changes have been made that make the food a little less interesting. For example the Classic Breakfast on the brunch menu (which now has much fewer breakfast options) used to be served with a choice of veggie & now comes with breakfast potatoes. (Veggies can be ordered for extra) Again, nothing wrong just different & not quite the same flair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its GoodBonbonaVIPDined on 10/5/2014But pricey, and I was hoping they would have more Gluten Free items/alternatives other than GF bread/toast.Special Features:
- Two entrees below par.pford19Dined on 9/27/2014Two items disappointed, well below the standard we are used to at Marion Street. The halibut special was bizarrely over salted -- apparently some sort of technique that crusted one side, but the whole thing was barely edible and required some picking apart to get at the edible chunks. They comped us dessert when we pointed this out. The shrimp risotto was under-shrimped (two pieces I think), on the gummy side and under seasoned. Otherwise a great meal: service, nice wine selection, cheese plate, steak, salads, and perfect weather for end of season outdoor dining.Special Features:
- Good food, bad serviceHenryDined on 9/25/2014I wanted to like this place. The menu offers some nice options for a light lunch with a good wine list. The service was a mess. They seem to have enough staff but they never bothered to check on their tables. A lot of running around empty handed. Asking for more water was an ordeal. Getting the bill took three tries. We had a flatbread, salad and cheese and charcuterie selection. The salad was fine, the flatbread was ok, except the one we ordered had prosciutto on it and they cooked it in the oven with the flatbread which rendered the usually supple delicacy, tough. For $15 the cheese/charcuterie offering was skimpy. The outside canopy amplifies sound, very loud. The few tables on the side are more intimate and quiter.Special Features:
- Michelin Bib GourmandHonestDinerVIPDined on 9/13/2014I went for brunch. I enjoyed my bananas foster pancakes, though it was light on bananas foster. It was not your typical decadent brunch. Much more reserved in portions and feel/vibe of the restaurant. The cauliflower sandwich sounded much more interesting than it was in reality/execution of the sandwich did not live up to its description. The restaurant has a great store with wonderful local finds, such as Black Dog Gelato and Chocolat Uzma Sharif.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BruncholiaDined on 9/7/2014My parents were visiting from out of state, and we took them here for brunch for my mom's birthday. She loved it! The food was traditional brunch food, but the preparation was a notch above so it still stood out from many other brunch spots. Coffee was great, prices were reasonable, and the outdoor seating was really nice as well.Special Features:
- Loved the Mac & CheeseJP10Dined on 8/30/2014We dined on the sidewalk patio on a lovely Saturday night. The Midwest Tour cheese flight was a good mix, but the mac & cheese with BBQ pork really knocked our socks off! We'll definitely return.Special Features:
- Tasty yet slowTravelingTessVIPDined on 8/28/2014The lunch crowd was all sitting outside. We were one of three tables inside. The service was super slow!! It was tasty but took 45 minutes to get sandwiches.Special Features:
- Accommodating!CdunnranDined on 8/15/2014We arrived for our 10:30 reservation and though we stayed past closing, service never lagged. Delicious macaroni and cheese, and a great flourless chocolate cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it appearsGalewoodGalDined on 8/10/2014I've been here often for brunch but hadn't been awhile. I checked the menu on line and it had some of the items I enjoyed in the past. Well the menu has changed and it's different then what's posted. I was really disappointed that they no longer had my two favorites. The waiter politely told me "We only have the items listed on the menu". Bummer. What I and my companion had was good but not what I had my mouth set for. The bloody mary was average. I asked for blue cheese olives but did not receive even though they sell them in the store. Bummer. The service was so so but did appreciate being able to chat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You should go here - really.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2014This place is literally a stone's throw from the Oak Park METRA/CTA station, so anyone can get here. The Sunday brunch menu is a bit limited, and the main menu has a greater variety of interesting choices. No matter - the cheese flight was fantastic, and that is this place's calling cards. If you do Sunday brunch, make sure to go on a day when they offer the chocolate chip pancakes. The gravlax special was very good, although the bagel was unremarkable. I recall from my first visit that their bread was very good, but they didn't get their delivery so with appropriate wait staff apologies the cheese was accompanied by a small loaf that tasted stale and defrosted - the only disappointment in an otherwise excellent meal. We'll be back.Special Features:
- New menu was disappointingOakParkdinerDined on 8/2/2014This was a favorite place for years, especially for brunch, but there was a new menu that was missing some old favorites. Wonderful cauliflower/cheese/apple sandwich no longer available on the weekend, we were told. Dish that I had, eggs benedict with asparagus, was bland.Special Features:
- Live music, great foodlove2dineopDined on 8/1/2014Love the ambiance - great place to start the weekend! The shrimp 'cocktail' with roasted potatoes and watermelon specials were outstanding, and the chicken macaroni was to die for. Great wine and drinks menu. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidJT78VIPDined on 7/31/2014We didn't care too much for the chicken mac n cheese (dark meat kind of tasted like turkey). But the 18 hour pork shoulder was absolutely fantastic.Special Features:
- The following 367 reviews are from the Marion Street Cheese Market reviews archive.
- Not my best visit, still very good!FergyDined on 6/29/2014Food was good, service was great! The website currently displays an outdated menu, so I drove an hour craving the Cauliflower Sandwich, only to find they've taken it off the weekend menu. They were kind enough to make it for me anyway, but left out a key ingredient (apples), so it didn't taste the same as last time. I'm not complaining-- I appreciated them trying to accommodate me-- they were kind to do so, and were very gracious to offer. The order of doughnuts that we decided to try was incredible-- homemade and delicious!! Our server was stellar-- my friend and I stayed until closing and we were never made to feel rushed. Still worth the drive, and I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Betsy1212Betsy1212VIPDined on 6/28/2014Great as usual. Menu always changes so there's always something new to look forward to. Four of us at dinner; two ordered the salmon plank, two ordered the porkchop. All were happy!Special Features:
- YummyGloriaDined on 6/28/2014The curry carrot ginger soup with he crab cake is crazy delicious! The cheese selection is great. The tuna was just okay, and the bread pudding was rather bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 6/10/2014Very good food but overpriced - $10 for a cauliflower sandwich?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duck!NooneVIPDined on 6/7/2014Always good food and margarita's. This time dinner was superb as alwaysSpecial Features:
- Consistently Excellenttrailfighter82Dined on 6/7/2014I've been to the Marion Street Cheese Market & Bistro on several occasions for both Brunch and Dinner and the food, service and ambiance are consistently on par with other top restaurants in the area. Each time I visit Marion Street my previous experience is exceeded by the friendly waitstaff and evolving menu. You cant go wrong with this Oak Park staple!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always slow service and moreOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/31/2014The food here is good but the service is unbearably slow. And I mean time and time again; lunch, dinner, early, late - doesn't matter. The new menu is not allergy-friendly either. Seems odd for a foodie place in 2014. May have to give up on what was once a local favorite.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/29/2014Fabulous Sole entree!! Waiter had good recommendations Will go againSpecial Features:
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/22/2014The menu is interesting and the food very good. Unfortunately, the service is chronically SLOW.Special Features:
- Mixed FeelingsNM14Dined on 5/16/2014Live in Oak Park and love visiting marion street cheese market for drinks and small plates. Came for dinner for the first time with my parents for a special occasion and was sorely disappointed. They were out of the pork and lamb entrees at 7pm on a Friday, with no other meat dishes except chicken on the menu/specials. Food was bland and the meat/cheese platter was forgotten and brought out after our meal was served. Still a beautiful restaurant and great wine/cheese but can't see myself going back for dinner.Special Features:
- Delicious!GloriaDined on 5/16/2014Beautiful yet casual. Excellent and knowledgable service. Fantastic food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/15/2014Menu is changing, long-time favorites gone, new chef has clearly not settled in yet. Very uneven fare.Special Features:
- Oak Park gemFudgeDined on 5/10/2014This is our favorite Oak Park restaurant. The food is always good and the bar usually features a tasty brew or two. The small plates of charcuterie, cheese, and pickled vegetables are quite good. As you might expect from a place that sells cheese, their macaroni and cheese is excellent as well. Now that summer is here, it is a great place to sit outdoors, sip a cold drink, and try a variety of small plates.Special Features:
- Great cheese and wine selectionshanghaijbVIPDined on 5/8/2014We ordered the tuna small plate, a cheese platter and the steak tartare small plate. Of course some wine as well. They have an excellent cheese and wine selection. The tuna was good but came in a very small size which makes it a bit expensive for what you get. The steak tartare however is small but filling and tasty. We had dinner outside. Service was good and attentive but a tad slow. Overall we had a great dinner experience and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Gem but too expensive.GraceVIPDined on 5/8/2014We enjoyed the ambiance/decor. On Thursdays , there is a duo playing fiddle and guitar, very pleasant. The service was good so was the food. Our only complain is that the portions were small but prices were high. Especially the wine by glass, the least expensive wine was for over $9.00 going up to $14 and $15 per glass. For a neighborhood place, no white table cloths , we went home with over $80 bill .Special Features:
- If you like cheeselovecheeseDined on 5/3/2014This is the place for cheese lovers. The food is great and I have never been disappointed with anything I've ordered.Special Features:
- Excellent Experience!AntonEgoDined on 4/30/2014I didn't catch his name, unfortunately, but the bartender who served us both drinks and dinner was outstanding. Extremely knowledgeable on both the wine and food. He graciously served us multiple wine samples and recommended ones we might like. Got a great bottle of Malbec for half-price on Wednesday, which was great! Apparently Tuesday is half-priced glass night, and Thursday night is live jazz. Go try Marion Street Cheese Market!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentbernay48Dined on 4/26/2014The food was different but very very good! I had the macaroni and cheese and it was made with a different kind of cheese which took some getting used to, but once I did it was very good. The donut holes were outstanding and one of the other ladies had pickled things and they are also very good. I would go there again; probably not as often as I would like because I live near the Wisconsin border, but would recommend it.Special Features:
- A real find in Oak ParkKageyDined on 4/19/2014I have been to the Marion Street Cheese Market several times and each time I have not been disappointed in either the food or the service. The wait staff is friendly and is very helpful in explaining the different cheeses and the selections that are on the menu. I would recommend this restaurant very highly.Special Features: