6001 Melrose Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90038Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marinorestaurant.net/
- Phone: 323-466-8812
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Marino
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Mario Jr. will be happy to customize a menu to service you in large or small event setting to meet your expectations and work with your budget.
A word from Marino Ristorante
Marino Ristorante is deeply rooted in the idea of doing all things the right way. Today the family owned restaurant, is giving its welcoming by Mario, Jr. and mom, Maria. The room is simple. A wall of glass, softened by out of door planters full of ficus, faces the famous Melrose Avenue. The soft colored walls, starched white linen cloths, the silver sugar caddy and votive holders and subdued oil paintings all come together to create its appeal. And then there is the food. Ciro, Mario and Sal were the first of the handful of chefs who are out daily in the early morning markets personally selecting the ingredients for the menu and seeking out the most interesting and pristine items for the specials. Placing yourselves in Mario’s hands for the tasting menus proves to be a wise decision. Also known for his knowledge of wines Mario will recommend the menu and wines to best meet your dining expectations. The Marino wine list has been repeatedly an award winner by Wine Spectator.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Marino Ristorante - Best Restaurants in Hollywood ›
Marino Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)romantic (16)special occasion (15)fit for foodies (14)great for lunch (9)notable wine list (6)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Italian ExcellenceSteakLoverVIPDined on 10/3/2014Gracious hosts and servers, comfortable ambiance and artistry in the kitchen all add up to a fantastic dining experience. The food is outstanding!Special Features:
- loveslaloveslaVIPDined on 9/17/2014We can always count on Marino for a great dinner. We have been dining here for 30 years and have rarely been disappointed. The pasta is fresh and delicious; they will pretty much make anything you want. Want to change the sauce? No problem. The type of noodles? Go ahead. Mario Jr., who took over from his wonderful father who passed away a few years ago, is more than a maitre 'd, he is charming, funny and gracious. His mother is sometimes there to greet you. Little Mrs. Marino is shy, so don't be put off--if she doesn't know you, she doesn't say much. We love Marino, and cannot say enough about how great it is. If you are looking for a restaurant that is consistently good, comfortable, and where you can hear each other talk, this is the one.Special Features:
- Dining ElegancemdtdesignDined on 9/13/2014Great food not found anywhere else in the city, served in a elegant atmosphere makes for a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmaryllisVIPDined on 9/11/2014The three-course lunch specials offer great value, and I consider it a bonus that the main course portions are a bit smaller than when ordered a la carte. Don't get me wrong, it's still plenty of food, but better for the budget AND for the waistline. For my appetizer this time I got Lentil Soup by mistake instead of Salad, but I kept it... and I LOVED it. My two fave pasta dishes are the Ravioli Di Spinaci Al Pomodoro, and the Fettuccini Ai Funghi.Special Features:
- wonderful dinner except...greatneckDined on 8/30/2014I took off 1 star only because of our welcome from Marino's wife. When we arrived, she was not charming like her husband and sons. In our history of going there, (which is a number of years back), the welcome was always a class A, warm experience, like you were part of their family or an old friend coming into their home. When we entered last night, the mom was grumpy. She showed us to a table. We asked if we could have a booth instead. She mumbled something we could not understand which made us think we had caused a problem. She made us stand there for a while before showing us to a booth. It was very awkward and distinctly unwelcoming. Our server Michael took good care of us and the food was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmaryllisVIPDined on 8/22/2014As a regular, I've always found the service to be the highlight here -- smooth, classy, and personable. The atmosphere is quite refined yet completely unpretentious; and the food is first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The real taste of ItaliaMasriOmaniDined on 8/5/2014If you wanna go and have food in Italy you should just visit this place, it is awesome. Real great food, I loved their black pasta and the kids really liked their Octopus salad despite being their first time to try it but they loved it. The staff was very friendly and welcoming, if I'm in LA again I will for sure go there again. Just the perfect restaurant with the great food that is hard to find these days.Special Features:
- TERRIBLEGMGMVIPDined on 8/1/2014Restaurant is by far no longer what it once was. Total rip-off, flavorless. The sausage appetizer was 90% tomato sauce and peppers and maybe two spoonfuls of crumbled sausage for $16. The veal parmigiana was tasteless, and the salmon bland. Too bad. This was once a great place. Service is still very nice though. But felt like a total rip-off.
- Can't wait to go back.TimCDined on 7/24/2014Drove past Marino's 10,000 times and finally made a reservation to celebrate 10th anniversary. Should have gone in years ago -- didn't know what we were missing. Won't wait until the next anniversary to go back.Special Features:
- Past its primeTbone1Dined on 7/18/2014Had reservations for 3 at 7:30 with 2 teenagers. Had to sit at the small bar for 30 minutes before seating. Once seated, we waited for over an hour for our food. People who were seated after us, received their food before us. Bread and water for 45 minutes was not fun with 2 teenagers. The veal chops were overcooked and the lobster thermador was very mediocre. The waiter said it was Maine lobster. It wasn't!. The maître D sort of apologized saying "everyone came in at once". I thought that's why reservations were taken. For the price, the service was poor and the food mediocre. I visited this restaurant 20 years ago. Its past its prime.Special Features:
- very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014good service. Mario was great. Thank you so much. Atmosphere was romantic and very classy. Will return.
- The following 351 reviews are from the Marino Ristorante reviews archive.
- Italian restaurant for Italy loversMichelleDined on 6/30/2014Perfect service. Perfect meal. Staff recommendations were terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/30/2014Had a very enjoyable, civilized lunch. Great lentil soup and delicious "Aubrey" entree salad. Service could not have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlexDined on 6/26/2014Mario is the best host ever. Thank you for a wonderful dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Abbodanza!fishwineDined on 6/20/2014Always reliable dinner/lunch destination...food impeccable...staff warm and efficient.Special Features:
- A special family gatheringJmesDined on 6/13/2014Outstanding service, wine and food. The atmosphere was that of one of the quaint restaurants that are all but disappearing in Little Italy in New York City. As east coast transplants we enjoy this type of restaurant. They trake pride in the service as soon as you walk in the door and are greeted by the maitre d'. The waiter was outstanding, explaining the specials. The variety of food was great to choose from.Not only will we back, we will recommend to others. Thanks for the great culinary experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2014A very nice surprisingly. Long time operation had a very casual but earnest feel. Service was great and the food was very good.Special Features:
- AmaryllisVIPDined on 6/5/2014Mmmmm that Ravioli Di Spinaci! And that Fettucini Ai Funghi! And everything else that I've ever had there!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MARINO IS THE BEST!!JPBJTMDined on 5/29/2014WE HAVE BEEN DINING AT MARION SINCE IT OPENED AND ARE TREATED AS PART OF THE FAMILY. IT IS SO NICE TO DINE IN A FINE L.A. RESTAURANT THAT IS INTIMATE AND QUIET. MARIO AND HIS STAFF TREAT AND SERVE ALL WITH ELEGANCE. IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN, THIS RESTAURANT IS A MUST!Special Features:
- An amazing mealJohndredVIPDined on 5/24/2014Marinos has got to be hands down one the finest places to dine in Los Angeles. The service is flawless right down to the busboys; the food arrives hot and beautifully prepared, the ambiance is fun, lively and welcoming and all of this, very detail, is due to Mario. If there is one man in this city who has complete command of every detail between the kitchen and the front door it is he. And that is what makes Marinos so good. Prepare to be spoiled!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was absolutely wonderful.belleflowerDined on 5/22/2014We are looking forward to returning. This was a great experience. It was a special night for us and this helped to make our evening even more special.Special Features:
- Owner was sweet, server sucked.BigeaterDined on 5/16/2014The owner was great, charming, and super talkative, if I did come back the owner would probably be the only reason. The only thig that I had a problem with was out server, who seemed to ignore us even though we were one of the only tables in the restaurant. The owner kind of made up for what the server lacked. The food was actually pretty good, despite my lamb chops coming out medium well when I asked for midrare. Still juicy though, so I wasn't too worried. The server didn't bother to check on us again until our meals were done, and only then it was to halfheartedly ask if we wanted dessert "or whatever."Special Features:
- Must visitTheatersnobsDined on 5/14/2014The whole staff was friendly and attentive. The foot was delicious and exceptionally well presented. Unfortunately we were rushed to another commitment or we could have stayed for another hour! Give yourself time to enjoy!! Thanks Marino's we had a nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite italian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/9/2014Have dined many, many times at this my favorite italian restaurant in West and regular HWood. All of L.A. really. That about says it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite placesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2014We are repeat customers and Marino's never disappoints. We love the excellent menu and the warm but professional service. This is a family run restaurant and it shows in their attention to detail. It's always a pleasure to eat here.Special Features:
- molte beneallenVIPDined on 5/3/2014always a pleasure,reliable, on time seating,great food,delightful service,fair prices and excellent wines. Mario maitre D always a friendkly greeting aand remebers seating preferences. One of my most reliable favoorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/26/2014As always just a marvelous restaurant with fabulous food and a warm and welcoming feeling. The Marino family knows how to run a restaurant and makes all customers feel special. The food is marvelous especially the veal dishes and they make an exceptional caesar salad table side with lots of anchovies if requested. Their baked clams oreganata are sensational as well.Special Features:
- Food Dleicious / good serviceNanaVIPDined on 4/22/2014We went for the lamb chops and although they are not a lunch menu item, Mario indulged us. Our waiter was wonderful.
- Italian dinnerTann2VIPDined on 4/17/2014Always great food and service ... Really make you feel like a valued cusromerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had an enjoyable dinner herereviewVIPDined on 4/11/2014Had an enjoyable dinner here the other night, which we have enjoyed this place in the past. It was worth the over an hour traffic to come here to eat. We had the 5 Course tasting menu. It is like a fun culinary package put together by the chef. We enjoyed the courses very much and our bottle of wine. Our server, Daniel I believe, was wonderful and attentive. The servers here are always very friendly and helpful. The manager is always so friendly and makes you feel very welcomed at Marino Ristorante. We will return again, one of our favorite places to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice.....but like every othergoodfoodluvVIPDined on 4/4/2014nice.....but like every other restaurant....a bit too noisy....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceScof1VIPDined on 3/15/2014Marino was an outstanding restaurant. We had left another restaurant due to their rudeness, and were able to get in at Marino. What a difference. The bar tender, manager, waiter were all friendly and responsive. The food was fabulous. I can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Amazing food, service and ambienceSchenk5100Dined on 3/1/2014Marino's is a fabulous, family run restaurant that has been in Los Angeles for over 30 years. The food (presentation and taste) was phenomenal. Patrick is an excellent waiter and Mario is the most charming owner/host I have ever come across. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for an amazing Italian food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too spicy for meOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/22/2014My husband ordered a shrimp and scallop pasta dish and asked for the mild version (they offered mild and spicy). It was so hot he couldn't eat it so we swiched entres. When the server asked how everything was, I told him it was really hot. He just schrgged his shoulders and walked away.
- Solid FindReviewmanVIPDined on 2/22/2014Every time I am in LA I go to Marino's for lunch. This was my first dinner and it was on the weekend. Very different vibe -- very crowded and vibrant! Food is consistently good. It's one of my favorite places to eat.Special Features:
- The food was ok but the staffOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/22/2014The food was ok but the staff was pretty attentive and provided good service.Special Features:
- Great Food, Good ServiceforthegoodofallDined on 2/22/2014The food was delicious! Wine list is pretty extensive. They cook a traditional style italian food. We had a show to go to and they made sure we were out on time. The manager made sure the car was on the right side of the road to be able to drive to our show without too many maneuvers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerAdventurousVIPDined on 2/15/2014Food and service both were excellent. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We arrived a half hour earlyAimster23Dined on 2/15/2014We arrived a half hour early but we were seated almost immediately. The staff is very gracious and our waiter Dan was extremely nice. We started with the baked clams which were very garlicky. We ordered the pasta special which was good and the black cod which was excellent. We had a show at Pantages and the host ensured we would be out in time and we were. It's quite convenient to the theatre.Special Features:
- Not ImpressedSDtoHwoodDined on 2/14/2014I took my girlfriend out here for a Valentine's Dinner. First we were greeted by who I thought was the owner. The guy was a little creepy as he kept touching both me and my girlfriend for an extended period of time on the back. We got a weird vibe from the guy. Even with this Open Table reservation they put us in a bad spot. We were wedged between another couple and a family. There was no privacy whatsoever for our conversation. We could hear everything both tables were talking about. It made for an awkward dinner. Furthermore, I thought the food was overpriced; my Veal was rubber and they only gave me a tablespoon of mashed potatoes & 8 green beans. My girl said Ravioli was good. Cheesecake was not bad.