218 Sir Francis Drake Boulevard
San Anselmo, CA 94960Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.marinitas.net/
- Phone: (415) 454-8900
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30AM-11PM (lunch and dinner)
Friday + Saturday: 11:30AM-12AM (lunch and dinner)
Sunday: 11AM-10PM (brunch and dinner)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Frank Villa
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Carta Marinitas available for events at your home.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer private dining for 15-50 people seated or 100 people for cocktails. More information and menu descriptions available on our website.
- Private Party Contact: Allison Goetze 4154548900x19
- Entertainment: Join us Saturday Febuary 11, 2012 9pm-Midnight for our 3-year Anniversary Party with live musical performance by Pride & Joy! Tickets are on sale for $10 (nonrefundable, but are transferable). Tickets can be purchased over the phone or in Marinitas. Buy your tickets now before this event sells out! Hope to see you there! *Reservation Notes: Any reservations booked for 6:30PM or later have a two hour time slot. All tables are reserved at 9:00PM for Musical performance
- Special Events: Join us Saturday Februaryy 11, 2012 9pm-Midnight for our 3-year Anniversary Party with live musical performance by Pride & Joy! Tickets are on sale for $10 (nonrefundable, but are transferable). Tickets can be purchased over the phone or in Marinitas. Buy your tickets now before this event sells out! Hope to see you there!
A word from Marinitas
Marinitas features a menu inspired by dishes found throughout Mexico and Latin America using local and seasonal products. Through the collaboration of Heidi Krahling and Frank Villa, Marinitas delivers Latin focused lusciousness that is an exciting blend of the new and the familiar. The wine list mainly draws from the expansive selections of the best wine makers from Argentina and Chile. Cocktails focus on the silver and gold liquors of Central and South America. The bar is dedicated to classic cocktail preparations including citrus juice squeezed to order, house made sweet and sour made from unrefined cane sugars, along with the highest quality mixers. Beers include a full Mexican selection from light Lagers to dark regional Latin micro-brewed Ales.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Marinitas - Best Restaurants in San Anselmo ›
Marinitas reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (19)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (17)kid-friendly (14)great for lunch (12)hot spot (11)special occasion (6)great for brunch (3)romantic (3)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Wonderful experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/10/2014We went for my wife's birthday, and the food, as always, was wonderful. If you add great service and fun atmosphere, Marinitas is a great dining experience.Special Features:
- MehMomof2SRDined on 11/8/2014I have been to the bar at Maranitas but never for dinner. My friends were here from out of town and I know the atmosphere so it seemed like a good place to take them. The menu was so small, portions are small and it really wasn't that impressive. I feel a little let down from the dinner, especially since we were trying to take them some place special. Won't be back for dinner but would go back for the bar.Special Features:
- Lunch disappointmentwisteriaDined on 11/7/2014We are fans of Heidi Krahling and have had delicious (albeit "noisy") dinners at Marinitas, so I chose Marinitas for lunch to introduce a friend who just moved to Marin to one of our best restaurants. Frankly, it was embarassing. Our salads were overdressed, and the added shrimp was scant and smelled as soon as the salads were placed in front of us. We had difficulty running down our waitress for our check at the end of our leisurely meal. Perhaps it was just an off-day, but we won't be rushing back for lunch anytime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun menu and great drinksbeetgirlDined on 11/4/2014Excellent service. Decent prices. The drinks are especially wonderful. The service is very good too. I like the daily special menu. Overall this is a fun place with a tasty menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love love love this place!chrisDined on 11/2/2014Totally delicious Latin inspired food. Fabulous margaritas. Sooo happy Heidi Krahling invented this wonderful vibrant restaurant. Love the fun quirky history-inspired decor, the comfortable gorgeous wood-warmed high-ceilinged space, the picturesque location. Love the friendly knowledgeable wait staff. Love the inventive inspired food & menu. Problem is, I always want to try literally everything on the menu. Hard to choose! But I could close my eyes & point & choose and still never be disappointed. The food is fresh, rich in flavors, satisfying, delightful comfort food. When Teds, the storied, fab fun bar that was previously at this location closed, it felt like a big loss. Now Marinitas is a huge gain!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dipsea99VIPDined on 10/30/2014Fine fare nicely prepared and lots of options. Love that vegetarian plate and the sangria is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoNameDined on 10/1/2014Great food, Great bar! Fun place! I love coming to Marinitas and telling friends about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/19/2014The food here is nothing special - just average Mexican-American. I was disappointed that the menu is quite limited. One daily special, tacos, or enchiladas. I did think the guacamole was very good, and the waitress was very nice. Not sure why this place is so packed.
- Waitress unattentive, overwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014Food was good, but the amount of time we sat unattended before getting drinks, then waiting for normal things like water and chips and salsa to be brought were unacceptable. Pitty that the service totally clouded the unique food experience on this visit!
- Always a problem with hostsDomsterVIPDined on 8/29/2014Marinitas is a wonderful restaurant... Been going there a lot since they opened but it is the only restaurant with Buckeye ( in mill valley) that has major attitude at check in.. No matter what ,if you reserve they make you wait... Even if there are 3, 4 empty tables. I don't understand where that comes from..numerous hostesses have come and gone but consistently I know I'm gonna be annoyed upon checking in. The wait staff is great, the food good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet Monday lunchFrankieVIPDined on 8/25/2014I was surprised the place was basically empty because the food here is delicious, and not terribly expensive, and a lot of places are closed on Mondays. I had the great fish tacos (so fat you have to eat half with a fork first), my usual there, and my friend had the mussels and asked for a spoon to finish off the sauce, which she loved. Wait staff was attentive but not annoying, a nice balance.Special Features:
- BarbaraDined on 8/2/2014The house salad and chicken enchiladas were amazing. We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014The food is great but the service needs improvement. Very friendly personnel but very rushed and it was early so the room was not overly crowded. Dishes removed before all diners are finished and courses served in much too rapid succession.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still one of our favesBuddVIPDined on 7/30/2014It has been a few months since we were last here; nice to find that all is well. We tried the chile relleno for the first time (an updated version of something that is familiar, and delighted to learn that it is not covered in batter nor is it fried...delicious!), and went with some of our "standards" (the gem salad, fish tacos). And as always, tried some tequilas that were new to us. Another lovely evening with terrific food.
- Excellent Mexican & Tequila BarjlelandVIPDined on 7/28/2014This is one of my favorite spots. Great margaritas and great food. Really delicious on both counts. It's noisy but fun and lively. I like the fish tacos. The House/"Casa" margarita is excellent. No need for the higher end options, in my opinion. And there's an excellent vegetarian plate for those so inclined. Highly recommended for the food and drinks. Top quality.Special Features:
- The following 665 reviews are from the Marinitas reviews archive.
- excellent neighborhood restaurantWrayVIPDined on 7/22/2014Outstanding food and excellent, friendly service. It's a gemSpecial Features:
- athomas01athomas01Dined on 7/18/2014food was excellent. Carnitas dish fell apart. Portions were good. I would pass on the beans side dish as the dish was enough food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ColcalVIPDined on 6/27/2014The food was just OK-and expensive for what it was. Next time, I'll be at the local burrito place. Also, disappointed that my reservation, for some unknown reason, did not qualify for any open table points?
- Delicious dinnerCKinMarinVIPDined on 6/25/2014We ate here with friends and everything was very good. The daily special, lamb tacos, was raved over and the vegetarian plate two of us had was very good. We'll be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/24/2014Food was excellent all around,I recommend the mussels, but every thing was delicious. Portions are fairly small so do get the sides of rice and beans; they are so good you will eat every bite. Service was abysmal, particularly the host who seemed to have perfected the art of never making eye contact with any patron who might require assistance, glasses of water or a waiter to place their order.Special Features:
- Fun Family DinnerRastaWittayDined on 6/21/2014We had a nice mean here last Saturday nite. Not to crowded but noisy. Great service and food. I had the Chicken Enchiladas that were wonderful - sauce and cheese and great chicken. I wish I had some tortillas on the side to get every last bite. I had a nice house margarita on the rocks. We will be back but it is pricey for a family of four (2 teenagers). BTW - everyone else had the fish tacos which were a hit as well.Special Features:
- Thanks MarinitasGeichenbDined on 6/21/2014Service was wonderful first and foremost. Our server made me feel welcome and attended while I waited for my date, the pacing of dinner was perfect, and even though it was very busy she kept tabs on us all throughout the meal. Food was excellent as well, as were the margaritas, as always. I always have a good experience at this place, though it is a tad noisy. Fun place for a casual date or a girls night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy foodSFNative48VIPDined on 6/10/2014We had carnitas and the fish tacos -- and both were delicious and large portions! What I liked about the fish tacos was that the fish was grilled, not deep fried.Special Features:
- Still a fanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Been going here since it opened, thankfully replacing the dubious Ted's. The food is always wonderful (though my salsa rioja is slightly better) and the margaritas are perfection. Not so much alcohol that two people can't share a pitcher. I come sometimes just to sit at the bar and sip tequila with friends. The bartenders are all super-cool and always happy to talk tequila! The service at the tables can be a little slow (Last night, it was 15 minutes before anyone even said "hello" let alone brought water) but its always friendly. I guess I can say if thats the least of my worries, it's a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, and one of the best upscale barsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/7/2014Marinitas may have the best upscale bar in this area. As my husband says, isn't there a nice place I can take my wife for a drink around here? It has a wonderful atmosphere, good music, very good food and hands-down the best red salsa and delicately fried chips I've ever had. A great place to take your friends and adult family. We do wish the menu offered change because we'd go more often if they did as we love the get-away experience after grinding days in SF offices and getting home in Marin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud, too many kidsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014There was a gaggle of 7 year old girls in the bathroom for two hours. And what felt like a million other kids unattended at the restaurant making a lot of noise which was extremely distracting.Special Features:
- Good as alwaysCKinMarinVIPDined on 5/1/2014Had another very good meal at Marinitas last week. The fish tacos were quite good but we both agreed, even my quite carnivorous husband, that the vegetarian platter was the best dish of the evening. Asparagus was cooked to perfection and the spinach and squash-filled peppers delicious. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Good food in dark place1246VIPDined on 5/1/2014The food is actually quite authentic. The fish cod tacos are terrific (in spite of the fact the waiter tried to talk us out of them - he apparently doesn't like fish). The chicken enchiladas were very meaty with an excellent sauce. The place is way too dark and "heavy" with a smell of old books (please remove the bookshelves of dusty books and knickknacks) & brighten the place - until the afternoon you can lift the awnings & let in some light! The decor needs a freshening up & it would be inviting instead of dismal & dank. The food warrants a better setting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!!!DianeDined on 4/18/2014This was my second time at Marinitas and it did not disappoint. The food is certainly the most outstanding feature in my view -- but everything else matches it. I will definitely be back for more!!!!Special Features:
- Another awesome meal at Maranitas!!jackVIPDined on 4/13/2014it's getting to be a habit...we love Maranita's so much! never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialLeftyVIPDined on 4/12/2014Everything tasted the same. They must have used the same spices in the dishes we ordered. The service however was excellent.
- One of my favorite spotsjlelandVIPDined on 4/5/2014The "Especialle" margarita is one of the best anywhere. Fresh lime juice, not too sweet etc. The food is fantastic. Even vegans will love the vegetarian plate. No compromise. It is noisy, but very fun. The quality of the food is excellent, always fresh tasting, definitely not your conventional South American faire despite the familiarity. The whole experience is a step above.Special Features:
- Another awesome meal at Maranita'sjackVIPDined on 3/29/2014What more can I say? We are never disappointed when we dine at Maranita's! Love the new changes to the menu!Special Features:
- Fun Friday Night PlacechristinefredVIPDined on 3/21/2014We had a nice meal and very tasty cocktail at Marinitas. Even with a very full restaurant, the food and drink service went smoothly. Great end to our week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The grilled salmon and theDipsea99VIPDined on 3/6/2014The grilled salmon and the fish tacos were tasty. Of course the guacamole and chips were great and the arugula sale we had was fresh and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- While Marinitas is one ofBB17VIPDined on 2/3/2014While Marinitas is one of our favorites, we do think the menu should be expanded a bit. Choices are fairly limited. Decor is great. Waiter disappeared for a while, forgetting to bring the water we had requested, and with the spiciness of the food, it was really needed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fave Spot ...KeetsDined on 1/18/2014... we are regulars here. Food, Service & Margaritas are always excellent. We've gone here for special occasions, with large groups or small; great place for lunch or dinner or to gather with friends at the bar. Depending on time of day, can be quiet or quite a hopping place. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/13/2014Not sure what other reviewers like about Marinitas but our whole group thought it was a terrible experience. Food was not very good, service was rushed on a slow Monday night, we were in and out in under an hour. Our entrees came out before we were finished with appetizers. Salad was the best item we had, and that was uninspired...unfortunately won't be going back.
- So many good things to say!GemofMarinDined on 12/30/2013I have been to Marinitas on several occasions and have always been very pleased with my experience! The food is fabulous and the service is always excellent. I have been here for a dinner with my mother, dinner with a professional colleague, and will soon be taking my partner there. No matter the occasion it is the place to be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently deliciousaliaDined on 12/29/2013Marinitas is able to master a restaurant that is both romantic for couples and fun for groups. Its even a child friendly place. The food is consistently good and the margaritas are delicious....go for the supremo! Marinitas is a my go to place for a date night and an evening with my girlfriends...but I also wouldn't hesitate to bring my 4 year old to dinner with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.