501 South 45th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://marigoldkitchenbyob.com/
- Phone: (215) 222-3699
- Hours of Operation:
Marigold Kitchen serves dinner:
Tuesday through Saturday from 6:00 - 8:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Keith Krajewski
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area
- Catering: Marigold Kitchen is pleased to offer private dining facilities for parties ranging in size from 6 to 25 guests. Our private dining rooms are ideal for special occasion dinners, luncheons, board meetings, holiday & office parties, rehearsal dinners & wine tastings. Our staff will work with you to create an event & menu tailored to your specific needs.
- Private Party Facilities: Marigold Kitchen is pleased to offer private dining facilities for parties ranging in size from 6 to 25 guests. Our private dining rooms are ideal for special occasion dinners, luncheons, board meetings, holiday & office parties, rehearsal dinners & wine tastings. Our staff will work with you to create an event & menu tailored to your specific needs.
- Private Party Contact: Christopher Albert 2152223699x
A word from Marigold Kitchen
Since the reopening of the Marigold Kitchen in September, Executive Chef Keith Krajewski leads the team that secured the number 2 spot on Philadelphia Magazines “50 Best Restaurants” list. Krajewski, along with Chef-Owners Andrew Kochan and Timothy Lanza, is crafting menus that truly capture the spirit of modernist cuisine. Marigold Kitchen offers an ephemeral Tasting Menu consisting of 14 to 16 courses. Dinner is served Tuesday through Saturday beginning at 6:00 pm. Reservations are highly recommended to tailor the menu to the diners palate and dietary needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Marigold Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (29)special occasion (23)neighborhood gem (18)romantic (16)good for groups (4)hot spot (3)Show More
- JackieVIPDined on 11/22/2014We are so happy that Marigold is back under its new ownership. Everything was delicious, and we can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant cuisineNYfoodyVIPDined on 11/20/2014This place takes its inspiration from some of early-twentieth-century cutting edge food trends in Europe, and it fulls it off. Not cheap, but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time diningFoodiePhillyBurbsVIPDined on 11/11/2014Absolutely amazing as usual. Sit back, sip you BOYB wine and enjoy the chefs exquisite creations. Let the servers tell you what it is and the best way to enjoy each meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceFoodloverDined on 11/8/2014BYOB. Gourmet tasting experience. 14 courses pleasing to the eye and great on the taste buds. Go in with an open mind you don't know what your getting until its on your plate. Wonderful experience I will visit again. Great for a couples and double dating. Make sure you present your dietary restriction before hand, they were very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, underseasonedFoodieDined on 11/7/2014Highlights: The food is executed and presented beautifully, the proteins are perfectly cooked, service is attentive, and the house in which the restaurant is situated in is warm and inviting. Lowlights: Food is generally underseasoned and most dishes would have benefitted from a healthy dose of salt, some spice, and acid. The promise of the presentation did not deliver on taste. In their efforts to demonstrate technique (the use of liquid nitrogen, sous vide machines, foam, etc) they forgot about flavor. The ingredients did not seem to shine or harmonize particularly well, and left me unsatisfied and unsatiated. At this high price point, it was more than disappointing. The food is bland and lacks soul. Also, the art is unfortunate
- FantasticArtVVIPDined on 11/7/2014Outstanding tasting menu expertly presented. 14 course meal was outstanding and service was terrific.Special Features:
- Stil Got Itad2321Dined on 11/7/2014Marigold Kitchen's still got it. I've dined with them at least four times since 2010 and always worry that a big change might result in its decline. But my fears are always allayed and Marigold's team delivers the most exciting culinary experience in Philadelphia while both service and setting create the sensation that you are being fed by dear friends. The foie gras was the best I'd had since a meal at Picholine in New York in 2009 and I was equally blown away by the venison and the playful cheese plate. They've also mastered the art of the tasting portion so don't hesitate to check it out on a weekday--you won't be there for hours on end and you'll leave charmed, sated, and not overstuffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Menu - New Chef - Great FooddepickettDined on 11/6/2014First time here since they changed chefs. The menu is different than what it use to be. You use to order an entree, then they will bring you your 3 course dinner interlaced with many amuse-bouches. I really enjoyed the old menu. Now you have a chef's tasting menu. I must say, the food was fantastic. We had 14 different tastings. One person in our party does not eat beef or pork and they were very accommodating. She really enjoyed the substitutions. Be aware: The prices have gone up on the new menu ($90 pp). I was not expecting such a jump in price however it was worth the money spent. I will probably only eat here once or twice a year due to the new prices. Excellent food and Service - Worth a try.Special Features:
- Great Food/ExperiencemogianoDined on 11/1/2014We (my wife and I) were really impressed by the food and service. The food was excellent, and the set menu really worked for us. I enjoyed all 14 courses (yep, 14!), and the portions made it possible to enjoy the amazing food. The service was professional and elegant. I really recommend this place.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/25/2014This was our first time back since new owners took over. They have done a great job updating the decor and the food remains unique and delicious. Our servers were attentive but not intrusive. Overall a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a great spotMacThespianDined on 10/24/2014My wife and I went to Marigold Kitchen just before the previous chef left, and were totally wowed by the experience. I returned recently with a group of friends, and found the food was just as good as I had remembered. Different, yes, but in a similar style, and with the same flair. The new team is doing a fine job. There were a couple of small hiccups in the service, but they were minor. I'm looking forward to going back to the new Marigold Kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceLayManDined on 10/22/2014Went for my girlfriend's birthday. The chef lit a birthday candle and placed it alongside the final dish, as well as signed her menu, both of which acts we much appreciated. Very amiable and helpful host. Quiet and simple ambience. Fascinating dishes, each one unique with several variations on classics such as eggs benedict and pork and beans. Not a place I would personally frequent more than perhaps once a year, but certainly a worthwhile experience for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Go here often.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014This is our second run at Marigold Kitchen, the first was with the previous chef, this time with the new chef. Same quality of food, same level of creativity. Just in a different direction it seems. Every dish was great. Fourten courses, fourteen different mini-experiences comprising another great evening at Marigold Kitchen. So many dishes that still stick out in my mind and will continue to do so. Service is just as top-notch as the food. Go here now, go here often.Special Features:
- creative and deliciousfoodie78Dined on 10/11/201414 courses. favorite courses- pork and beans (braised pork belly with green belly puree); foie LT; and curry tofu. BYOB always a plus favorite meal I have had in PhillySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular meal, start to finishNonicknameDined on 10/10/2014Incredible food with amazing service. One of the better meals I've ever had. Be advised that Marigold has no menu, and its prix fix at 90$ a head. Dinner takes a few hours too. The couple next to us didn't realize this, and left after the host brought out the first course!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VettedDined on 10/4/2014My fiancee and I have been coming to Marigold for years, and were very excited to see what the "new" chefs have to offer. The 14 course chef's tasting menu remains, as do a number of the modern cooking techniques - Hollandaise dipping dots, habanero foam. There are some truly stand-out dishes. The curry tofu is one of the most delicately balanced dishes we've had in Philadelphia. The scallop crudo was amazing; the coffee-dusted desert was inspired. However, some of the dishes fell a little short. The caprese plate was very small for two people to share, and the broth in the french-onion ravioli was flavorless. The pacing of the meal needs improvement as well; there was more than 20 minutes between some plates. We'll definitely return thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Successful Passing of the TorchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/4/2014Wow. The mantle has been passed. The two new chefs behind the Marigold have done a remarkable job respecting the wonderful traditions (and a couple of dishes) of the past chefs while beaching out in new directions. The majority of the dishes in our 13 course dishes were outstanding. Several were absolutely remarkable. Only one dish was just good. Our visit was a true experience. Come to the Marigold for a remarkably entertaining culinary experience. This is not a dinner and a movie place; the food is the real show. While the service is not perfect (the restaurant only recently reopened) the staff gets an A plus for effort. Everyone is understand lay proud is the results of many months of experimentation in advance of the opening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014Many courses with small amounts in each course. Fantastic and creative food. Every course felt like we were eating something artistic.Special Features:
- UniqueDivineVIPDined on 9/26/2014The meal we had was an unforgettable, one-of-a-kind dining experience. Every course was delicious and very creative---delicious works of art--pleasing to the eye and the palate. Service was impeccable, and it couldn't have been better.Special Features:
- The following 1093 reviews are from the Marigold Kitchen reviews archive.
- Allergy ignoredOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/20/2014Though the food I had was great, I only enjoyed 2 courses. During the second, I was given almond milk, despite repeatedly discussing my nut allergy with the staff. I have a very serious allergy and have to take epipens, go to the hospital, etc... really unpleasant. They even confirmed my allergy prior to the meal and assured me the kitchen would work around it. After being given almond milk, I had to leave the restaurant to go to the hospital. The hostess's response after they realized what they did was ridiculous, "That was almond milk, but I can assure you any courses from now on will not have any nuts." I was like, I can't stay now, I have to go get medical care. Even worse, no one followed up with me in the days afterward.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014Came here with my mom for her birthday. It was a really special dining experience - service was great, not overbearing, and the food was very interesting and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatingbec1989Dined on 5/30/2014My sister and I ate here while I was still getting chemo, and both the kitchen and front of house staff graciously accommodated my special diet. Service is quick and personal, and each of the dishes seems really special. I can't say I enjoyed everything equally, but that's part of the fun of tasting menus. The foie gras muesli was one of my favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrateFreeholdBoro11Dined on 5/19/2014We went to celebrate our son's UPenn graduation and we have a truly wonderful meal and experience. We felt the food and service were even better than posted on Open Table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining event!goodfoodDined on 5/19/2014The service is outstanding! The food is amazing, it is like Disneyland for foodies! We celebrate all our special occasions here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll miss you, Marigold!JackieVIPDined on 5/18/2014Marigold has been our favorite restaurant for years. Everyone from the chefs to the hostess to the waiters is lovely, and the food is always the best. We found Marigold about four years ago with a Groupon, and quickly grew to love it. Marigold is where we celebrated countless birthdays, anniversaries, and random Tuesdays, celebrated our engagement, and enjoyed time with our family. We are so sad to see it go, but wish everyone at Marigold the very best in whatever you do next!Special Features:
- The BestJeffnSueDined on 5/15/2014Sorry to see the outstanding Marigold chef leave Philadelphia. He will be missed.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/14/2014It's such a shame that this place is leaving the neighborhood. I booked a reservation because I always wanted to go and I'm glad I got the opportunity. Definitely a place for special occasions, hopefully someone with similar ambition buys it up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingCNowVIPDined on 5/14/2014Philly is losing a gem when Marigold closes next month - meal was delicious, start to finish!Special Features:
- Great eatsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/14/2014Marigold Kitchen is a wonderful restaurant and Rob Halpern is a creative chef, so sad that he is leaving and selling the restuarant.Special Features:
- Magnificent mealDiazdeLDined on 5/13/2014Magnificent meal in a lovely setting with excellently calibrated service. Foodie heaven. Creative, delicious, beautifully presented by servers who were attentive and friendly but not intrusive. And right-sized, not over-stuffed. As a couple, we are often just right with a shared appetizer and shared entree. We left here full but not in pain after a totally delightful evening. Not cheap, but reasonable for the quality, and the BYOB makes it relatively more affordable.Special Features:
- $4$, the best meal we've ever hadOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/10/2014Everything is fantastic about Marigold Kitchen. The food was very inventive, yet they pull it off and was spectacular. The ambience was relaxed in a very nice way, and the servers were attentive, knowledgable and unpretentious. And it's BYOB. When the check arrived our jaw dropped at how inexpensive it was relative to what we'd just been served -- 14 courses over 3 hours. Our entire evening in Philly including a night at a luxury hotel plus BYOB and a meal at Marigold Kitchen was still cheaper than just a meal at Daniel or Blue Hill or comparable NYC spots. We're coming to Philly to dine more often. I'd highly recommend Marigold Kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food,excellent experiencepf1022Dined on 5/10/2014Each plate looked beautiful (if I was one to Instagram my meals, each plate would have been posted). Each bite was more delicious than the next. The lobster bisque cappuccino and the blue chesse encrusted filet mignon were my two favorites. When I have a meal with that many courses, I sometimes to recall each of them. Two days later, I can rattle off each plate from Marigold. Everything was delicious and memorable.Special Features:
- Interesting ConceptJeffVIPDined on 5/9/2014We were intrigued by the concept of a 14-course tasting menu, a first for both of us. Our server (Dawn), was absolutely world-class (One of the best servers we've encountered). Now, the food. Among the courses were truffled nitrogen popcorn (delish), green dots of some sort (bizarre, and "why bother?"), duck rillettes (delicious, but the flimsy 2 slices of toast couldn't possible hold all the rillettes and the sides), a ravioli infused with mushroom liquid, tiny quail, two tiny medallions of lamb, a sublime cheese course, a melange of chocolate concoctions, and various other things, none memorable. At the end of the day, there were some great dish and some forgettable things. And, I guess I'd opt for 4 perfect larger courses.Special Features:
- Loved the experience & amazing FoodBWPhillyVIPDined on 5/3/2014A group of 4 of us went to enjoy a beautiful saturday evening. Our experience was exceptional. The creativity was fascinating from the Liquid Nitrogen PopCorn to one of the most amazing bites i have ever taken in a restaurant - chestnut ravioli with mushroom power - UNREAL! the salad dipping dots were the only lackluster part of our endless tasting menu, but the lamb, scallops, cheese plate, desert....all terrific. Setting was nice inside a converted house in the west Philly neighborhood. It could have used a light music touch in the background vs. just the noise of other diners IF i had to make up any criticism. Fabulous evening and would fully recommend!Special Features:
- Loved itPhillyfoodloverDined on 5/3/2014We loved it! And were very sad to hear that the chef is moving on. I would absolutely recommend it if you love food and enjoy trying new things. We saw a lot of trends in food done well on our plates- our very favorite that night was the Liquid Chestnut Ravioli with mushroom dust. Everything was well prepared, delicious, and well presented. The service was top notch as well, the servers were very knowledgeable, sociable, and polite. I was taking detailed notes on my phone and taking photos of all of the fourteen courses we had that night, until we realized they give us a print out of the menu they served us at the end. Which was a lovely memento and nice to show friends what we had.Special Features:
- Outstanding NightBigTim2Dined on 5/1/2014This wasn't a meal, it was an adventure! Overall there were 14 dishes, each one it's own celebration of culinary excellence! This cozy place with one of the most friendliest & attentive staffs should be on everyone's list. Each dish that came to our table was tastefully described by the wait staff & was a party for our palates. All of the food, from the frozen popcorn to the bleu cheese cured beef tenderloin to the fois gras macaroon & everything in between was perfectly crafted by the chef and his crew of merry men in the kitchen. you can tell they are a fantastic team by what comes out of their magical kitchen. I feel bad for those of you who won't have the opportunity to enjoy such culinary excellence since they might close soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprises in small packagesChaseVIPDined on 5/1/2014We loved the dinner here. We learned about it on a twitter feed that also featured an article suggesting the chef is closing up shop in Philadelphia. I am glad we had the experience. Great Chef. Great Staff. That was exactly the type of inspiring, food-entertainment experience we like to have when going out for a meal. Best wishes to all...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded all expectationsFoodiePhillyBurbsVIPDined on 4/26/2014This was a recommendation from a friend and we were so impressed with everything. The wati staff answered all of our questions about the various tastings we were offered and were more than helpful. Dinner took two hours. As soon as we finished one tasting the ext dish was at our table with new silverware promptly. This was such an amazing experience. We cannot wait to return for the summer menu. We will be going quarterly from now on every time they change their menu.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemFoodie2014Dined on 4/24/2014I surprised my husband for his birthday and when we arrived, we were seated promptly at a table by the window on the second floor. The restaurant is set in a Victorian home so it was like walking into someone's living room. There were 2 dining areas, on the first and second floors. The server, Dawn, was outstanding. The food was creative, fun, and delicious. There were several courses including appetizers, main, and amuses bouches. Our favorites of the night were the shrimp ceviche puff, lobster bisque with thyme foam, pork belly bao, duck egg sous-vide, and tuna tartare. They even added a candle with the petits fours at the end and wished my husband a happy birthday. I absolutely adored this restaurant and would definitelyy return.Special Features:
- unique dining experiencefrancesVIPDined on 4/16/2014The food is bizarre; you gotta be an adventurous eater to enjoy their cuisine. The menu is fixed, with a bunch of small courses, most of which are delicious, but like no other restaurant you've ever experienced. Totally worth trying if you're looking for an interesting restaurant in west philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.