501 South 45th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://marigoldkitchenbyob.com/
- Phone: 2152223699x
- Hours of Operation:
Marigold Kitchen serves dinner:
Tuesday through Saturday from 6:00 - 9:00.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Rob Halpern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area
- Catering: Marigold Kitchen is pleased to offer private dining facilities for parties ranging in size from 6 to 25 guests. Our private dining rooms are ideal for special occasion dinners, luncheons, board meetings, holiday & office parties, rehearsal dinners & wine tastings. Our staff will work with you to create an event & menu tailored to your specific needs.
- Private Party Facilities: Marigold Kitchen is pleased to offer private dining facilities for parties ranging in size from 6 to 25 guests. Our private dining rooms are ideal for special occasion dinners, luncheons, board meetings, holiday & office parties, rehearsal dinners & wine tastings. Our staff will work with you to create an event & menu tailored to your specific needs.
- Private Party Contact: Andrea Gallo 2152223699x
A word from Marigold Kitchen
Chef Robert Halpern's legacy at Marigold Kitchen is carried on by his former chefs as he passes the torch this fall. In 2013, the chefs of Marigold Kitchen cooked their way to the second spot on Philadelphia Magazine's "50 Best Restaurants" list also earned the title of best "New American" restaurant in the magazine's "Best of Philly" issue. Located in a quiet, tree-lined block of Victorian houses, Marigold Kitchen serves dinner Tuesday through Saturday, beginning at 6:00pm. Reservations are required. Information regarding food aversions and allergies is requested so that the chefs may design unique menus for those who require them.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Marigold Kitchen - Best Restaurants in University City ›
Marigold Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (7)special occasion (7)neighborhood gem (7)romantic (2)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Allergy ignoredOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/20/2014Though the food I had was great, I only enjoyed 2 courses. During the second, I was given almond milk, despite repeatedly discussing my nut allergy with the staff. I have a very serious allergy and have to take epipens, go to the hospital, etc... really unpleasant. They even confirmed my allergy prior to the meal and assured me the kitchen would work around it. After being given almond milk, I had to leave the restaurant to go to the hospital. The hostess's response after they realized what they did was ridiculous, "That was almond milk, but I can assure you any courses from now on will not have any nuts." I was like, I can't stay now, I have to go get medical care. Even worse, no one followed up with me in the days afterward.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014Came here with my mom for her birthday. It was a really special dining experience - service was great, not overbearing, and the food was very interesting and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatingbec1989Dined on 5/30/2014My sister and I ate here while I was still getting chemo, and both the kitchen and front of house staff graciously accommodated my special diet. Service is quick and personal, and each of the dishes seems really special. I can't say I enjoyed everything equally, but that's part of the fun of tasting menus. The foie gras muesli was one of my favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1090 reviews are from the Marigold Kitchen reviews archive.
- Great place to celebrateFreeholdBoro11Dined on 5/19/2014We went to celebrate our son's UPenn graduation and we have a truly wonderful meal and experience. We felt the food and service were even better than posted on Open Table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining event!goodfoodDined on 5/19/2014The service is outstanding! The food is amazing, it is like Disneyland for foodies! We celebrate all our special occasions here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll miss you, Marigold!JackieVIPDined on 5/18/2014Marigold has been our favorite restaurant for years. Everyone from the chefs to the hostess to the waiters is lovely, and the food is always the best. We found Marigold about four years ago with a Groupon, and quickly grew to love it. Marigold is where we celebrated countless birthdays, anniversaries, and random Tuesdays, celebrated our engagement, and enjoyed time with our family. We are so sad to see it go, but wish everyone at Marigold the very best in whatever you do next!Special Features:
- The BestJeffnSueDined on 5/15/2014Sorry to see the outstanding Marigold chef leave Philadelphia. He will be missed.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/14/2014It's such a shame that this place is leaving the neighborhood. I booked a reservation because I always wanted to go and I'm glad I got the opportunity. Definitely a place for special occasions, hopefully someone with similar ambition buys it up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingCNowVIPDined on 5/14/2014Philly is losing a gem when Marigold closes next month - meal was delicious, start to finish!Special Features:
- Great eatsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/14/2014Marigold Kitchen is a wonderful restaurant and Rob Halpern is a creative chef, so sad that he is leaving and selling the restuarant.Special Features:
- Magnificent mealDiazdeLDined on 5/13/2014Magnificent meal in a lovely setting with excellently calibrated service. Foodie heaven. Creative, delicious, beautifully presented by servers who were attentive and friendly but not intrusive. And right-sized, not over-stuffed. As a couple, we are often just right with a shared appetizer and shared entree. We left here full but not in pain after a totally delightful evening. Not cheap, but reasonable for the quality, and the BYOB makes it relatively more affordable.Special Features:
- $4$, the best meal we've ever hadOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/10/2014Everything is fantastic about Marigold Kitchen. The food was very inventive, yet they pull it off and was spectacular. The ambience was relaxed in a very nice way, and the servers were attentive, knowledgable and unpretentious. And it's BYOB. When the check arrived our jaw dropped at how inexpensive it was relative to what we'd just been served -- 14 courses over 3 hours. Our entire evening in Philly including a night at a luxury hotel plus BYOB and a meal at Marigold Kitchen was still cheaper than just a meal at Daniel or Blue Hill or comparable NYC spots. We're coming to Philly to dine more often. I'd highly recommend Marigold Kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food,excellent experiencepf1022Dined on 5/10/2014Each plate looked beautiful (if I was one to Instagram my meals, each plate would have been posted). Each bite was more delicious than the next. The lobster bisque cappuccino and the blue chesse encrusted filet mignon were my two favorites. When I have a meal with that many courses, I sometimes to recall each of them. Two days later, I can rattle off each plate from Marigold. Everything was delicious and memorable.Special Features:
- Interesting ConceptJeffVIPDined on 5/9/2014We were intrigued by the concept of a 14-course tasting menu, a first for both of us. Our server (Dawn), was absolutely world-class (One of the best servers we've encountered). Now, the food. Among the courses were truffled nitrogen popcorn (delish), green dots of some sort (bizarre, and "why bother?"), duck rillettes (delicious, but the flimsy 2 slices of toast couldn't possible hold all the rillettes and the sides), a ravioli infused with mushroom liquid, tiny quail, two tiny medallions of lamb, a sublime cheese course, a melange of chocolate concoctions, and various other things, none memorable. At the end of the day, there were some great dish and some forgettable things. And, I guess I'd opt for 4 perfect larger courses.Special Features:
- Loved the experience & amazing FoodBWPhillyVIPDined on 5/3/2014A group of 4 of us went to enjoy a beautiful saturday evening. Our experience was exceptional. The creativity was fascinating from the Liquid Nitrogen PopCorn to one of the most amazing bites i have ever taken in a restaurant - chestnut ravioli with mushroom power - UNREAL! the salad dipping dots were the only lackluster part of our endless tasting menu, but the lamb, scallops, cheese plate, desert....all terrific. Setting was nice inside a converted house in the west Philly neighborhood. It could have used a light music touch in the background vs. just the noise of other diners IF i had to make up any criticism. Fabulous evening and would fully recommend!Special Features:
- Loved itPhillyfoodloverDined on 5/3/2014We loved it! And were very sad to hear that the chef is moving on. I would absolutely recommend it if you love food and enjoy trying new things. We saw a lot of trends in food done well on our plates- our very favorite that night was the Liquid Chestnut Ravioli with mushroom dust. Everything was well prepared, delicious, and well presented. The service was top notch as well, the servers were very knowledgeable, sociable, and polite. I was taking detailed notes on my phone and taking photos of all of the fourteen courses we had that night, until we realized they give us a print out of the menu they served us at the end. Which was a lovely memento and nice to show friends what we had.Special Features:
- Outstanding NightBigTim2Dined on 5/1/2014This wasn't a meal, it was an adventure! Overall there were 14 dishes, each one it's own celebration of culinary excellence! This cozy place with one of the most friendliest & attentive staffs should be on everyone's list. Each dish that came to our table was tastefully described by the wait staff & was a party for our palates. All of the food, from the frozen popcorn to the bleu cheese cured beef tenderloin to the fois gras macaroon & everything in between was perfectly crafted by the chef and his crew of merry men in the kitchen. you can tell they are a fantastic team by what comes out of their magical kitchen. I feel bad for those of you who won't have the opportunity to enjoy such culinary excellence since they might close soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprises in small packagesChaseVIPDined on 5/1/2014We loved the dinner here. We learned about it on a twitter feed that also featured an article suggesting the chef is closing up shop in Philadelphia. I am glad we had the experience. Great Chef. Great Staff. That was exactly the type of inspiring, food-entertainment experience we like to have when going out for a meal. Best wishes to all...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded all expectationsFoodiePhillyBurbsVIPDined on 4/26/2014This was a recommendation from a friend and we were so impressed with everything. The wati staff answered all of our questions about the various tastings we were offered and were more than helpful. Dinner took two hours. As soon as we finished one tasting the ext dish was at our table with new silverware promptly. This was such an amazing experience. We cannot wait to return for the summer menu. We will be going quarterly from now on every time they change their menu.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemFoodie2014Dined on 4/24/2014I surprised my husband for his birthday and when we arrived, we were seated promptly at a table by the window on the second floor. The restaurant is set in a Victorian home so it was like walking into someone's living room. There were 2 dining areas, on the first and second floors. The server, Dawn, was outstanding. The food was creative, fun, and delicious. There were several courses including appetizers, main, and amuses bouches. Our favorites of the night were the shrimp ceviche puff, lobster bisque with thyme foam, pork belly bao, duck egg sous-vide, and tuna tartare. They even added a candle with the petits fours at the end and wished my husband a happy birthday. I absolutely adored this restaurant and would definitelyy return.Special Features:
- unique dining experiencefrancesVIPDined on 4/16/2014The food is bizarre; you gotta be an adventurous eater to enjoy their cuisine. The menu is fixed, with a bunch of small courses, most of which are delicious, but like no other restaurant you've ever experienced. Totally worth trying if you're looking for an interesting restaurant in west philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for picky eatersWilmingtonfriendDined on 4/16/2014This is the perfect spot for a casual, relaxed pace, fun night so long as you bring an open mind. Everything we had was delicious and beautifully presented. Their creativity is matched by the warmth and friendliness of the servers. I love that the space is casual and, like their food, occasionally whimsical. Also -- they were great with special requests for my friend with a walnut allergy and another who was (loosely) observing Passover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I just love this placechmervilleDined on 4/15/2014I was very nicely surprised by the quality and freshness of the food, as well as the chef's creativity. Excellent service, nice and quiet place.Special Features:
- Phenomenal!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/12/2014We celebrated our first anniversary here, and were SO happy we chose it over a "fancier" place. The staff is incredibly warm and knowledgeable, the food is fun, interesting, delicious, and plentiful! We stuffed ourselves silly and enjoyed every minute! Will definitely be back for another special occasion!Special Features:
- FabulousamyfDined on 4/11/2014Could not have been more impressed with the concept, the service, especially the food, and the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our third time atOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/5/2014This was our third time at Marigold Kitchen and each has been outstanding. No duplications. Nothing exotic or bizarre. And the meal usually takes three hours from start to finish, so it's definately now somewhere to go before "the show". But MG is probably the most creative cooking in Philadelphia, presented relatively simply and without ostentation. Our top choice for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InconsistentDisappointedDined on 4/5/2014A number of the dishes were outstanding (Chestnut Ravioli, Bandera Quail, Scallops) and others were trying to be something they weren't (Asparagus, Pork Belly, Lobster Bao). Great creativity, fresh ingredients, nice presentation - all reasons to go back. The restaurant critics would say do a few things really well instead of going after such a diverse menu. For the most part, menu items went well together, but the Lobster was an awful attempt at "Asian" cuisine that never belonged on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening!ElisaVIPDined on 4/4/2014There is a reason that there is so much buzz about this place! Every course (13 of them) was unique and delicious. We did have one vegetarian with is and they accommodated her without any problem. Be prepared for a leisurely dining experience and as I was told by the hostess when confirming: definitely bring more wine than you think you'll need. And a shout out to the wonderful servers as well! Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-priced for quality ofOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2014Over-priced for quality of food. Felt that they were trying to hard to present fancy, interesting dishes instead of making sure that each dish truly shined.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceridesnowDined on 3/14/2014I am happily surprised every time visit the Marigold Kitchen. The menu is fantastic and the wait staff is very attentive. Surrendering your experience to such capable hands allows you and your guests to enjoy a wonderful night with the best backdrop possible. It is impossible to find a finer dining experience in a more accessible venue. I would recommend this experience for anyone and I have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Very Expensive...phillyfoodieDined on 3/14/2014It is one of the very few places which do not have any menu options and everybody has to go for their pre-fixed $85 per person. On top of that, if you fail to turn up for a reservation, they still would charge you $40 per person!!! Ambiance- West Philly just off the Baltimore Avenue...need I say more? Food- At $85 per person and over 2 hours of serving time consisting of 14 courses (if you count each little spoons as a course- which they do), the food was still insufficient to fill us up. The courses were unique and tasty but nothing special. Bottom line- With so many great fine dining options around Philly, I wouldn't spend my hard earned cash here....
- Best restaurant in Philadelphia!!!EstroVIPDined on 3/13/2014By far my favorite restaurant in Philly. Yes, it's expensive but worth every cent! If you're adventurous with food, foodie, appreciate creativity, go to Marigold Kitchen! if you return there, just call before to see if they've changed their menu so you won't repeat the same courses (as it is a fixed tasting menu). but they're tentative to special requests. it's my 3rd time there and i'm always blown away. YummmmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu-less MenuNancyVIPDined on 3/8/2014Be ready to let the chef and staff wow you with this amazing menu. Different flavors and innovate presentations. Be prepared to try foods in new ways.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The most amazing restaurant!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014This restaurant was heavily hyped, and surprisingly it lived up to it! SUPERB. Make a reservation!Special Features:
- Marigold is a WINNER!LikesfoodDined on 3/7/2014My wife an I were amazed and delighted with the creative tasting menu. Marigold provides and extraordinary experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for everyoneOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/1/2014Multiple small courses, some very unusual. Don't take your "meat and potatoes" friends here. BYOB is good since the price for the food is high. Different, but you wouldn't go very often. A fun experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The lobster bisque with thymeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/26/2014The lobster bisque with thyme foam was amazing as well as the mushroom himachi. The presentations were beautiful and the beet dish was one of the best I've had. The menu is elaborate with many components and a lot of courses calls for a lot of memorization on the servers part, I'm sure, but some dishes were flatly explained with lots of "umm"s and blank pauses. I appreciate when servers check in and ask how we are enjoying our dishes, but that unfortunately never happened. Not even once throughout 15 courses! Luckily, we didn't have any complaints. Mad props to the chef (s). Our meal was excellent. Just look out for the amount of chipped plates that are coming out of the kitchen! A little tacky considering the price you pay to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food with brilliantandybVIPDined on 2/22/2014Incredible food with brilliant presentation. Warm and well versed service. The rooms could use some cosmetic touchup and a bit of brighter highlights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous tasting menu of 14 coursesOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/21/2014Every course was beautifully presented and delicious! What an experience. No words can describe and you will have to come and try it by yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- molecular chemistrybillDined on 2/18/2014this is a great place for molecular gastronomy. BYOB. small bits, perhaps 15 courses. be ready for lots of oohs and ahhs. you WILL remember this place!Special Features: