Annapolis, MD 21401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 5555555555
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, American, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Iron Rooster
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Iron Rooster reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (7)special occasion (7)neighborhood gem (6)fit for foodies (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- The sauce was divine!RavenGirlDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I split an antipasta salad as an appetizer, and he ordered the pasta trio. He was expecting a larger portion, but it ended up filling him up nicely. He enjoyed it immensely. I had the salmon and shrimp in champagne cream sauce. The shrimp was perfection, the salmon less so... for me, its flavor does not match as well with the sauce as the shrimp, but the cream sauce was to die for! I threw diet caution aside and grabbed some bread to sop it up. Wonderful! I must also say that I really appreciated the ambiance in the restaurant. So many restaurants are today so noisy I do not enjoy my meal, not so here. Thank you Maria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ItalianBillVIPDined on 8/16/2014One of our favorite Italian restaurants in the world - in beautiful Annapolis!Special Features:
- Always wonderfulLandbDined on 8/13/2014Delicious authentic Italian food in a cozy space. Martinis are exceptional. Friendly service. We eat there whenever we come to AnnapolisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerMeganBBDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I went to Maria's for our 8 year anniversary. We love the food & the restaurant but my only complaint was I noted that it was our anniversary but we were still seated in a table in the corner, next to a emergency exit door. Not very romantic. Plus after spending $200, you would think to give a free desert or something. But the food was great and the server was great and we will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Quiet Romantic EveningJJJJ1107Dined on 7/19/2014I was out of town on business for 3 weeks. We dine here for a romantic evening when I returned. Everything was perfect.Special Features:
- Great Italian FoodRabbatesDined on 7/12/2014Maria's has been a favorite for many years and never fails to provide a wonderful dinner experience. The veal dishes are very tasty and inventive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 198 reviews are from the Iron Rooster reviews archive.
- Hit or missObjectiveReviewerDined on 6/21/2014I had the Pasta Atlantis. Scallps were undercooked, pink sauce was OK, but the thing that turned me off was the Pasta was precooked then reheated. For a $31 entree this is not acceptable. I expect this at Olive Garden not at Maria's. I have had lunch at Maria's before and it was very good so that is why I say "hit or miss".Special Features:
- Authentic ItaliangsantrimDined on 5/26/2014I love Maria's. They are very accommodating and everything is top notch....the food, the wine, the service, and the entire experience. It's our new favorite Italian restaurant in the entire DMV area. Their fish dishes are great. Their chicken dishes are great. Their pasta is great. Their bread is great. The wine was perfect...temperature and quality. Every aspect of the service was impeccable. And something I appreciate...the portion sizes were perfect. Not too big but not too small. I hate going to someplace and they give you enough for 5 people and the quality is mediocre. I'd rather have a good portion for just me at a high level of quality. We'll be going here again and again.Special Features:
- A great find in downtown AnnapolisRob4FoodDined on 5/22/2014First time there, but had walked by it many times. Now we are sad that we waited until my son graduated from USNA to patronize this wonderful restaurant. They did everything possible to have our dinner exceed our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/20/2014The food and service are very good, although pricey for the area, and it is a very nice restaurant that is right near the waterfront.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day LunchNateVIPDined on 5/11/2014The restaurant was nice and quiet when we arrive. It got busier towards the end of the meal. The food was nicely portioned, the waiter made an excellent wine recommendation and desert was fantastic. They gave each mother a single rose at the end of the meal which was a sweet gesture.Special Features:
- Maria's RistoranteKBitalian90Dined on 5/11/2014I made a reservation for this restaurant for Mother's Day because my mom is Italian and I thought she'd love the atmosphere and menu. My sister, dad, mom and I ate here and found the food really tasty. However, I think the dishes were overpriced especially for how small the portions were. Our service was okay, but not great.Special Features:
- Omlet... :-(MelmanDined on 3/30/2014Worst made omelet EVER!! Quality doesn't match the price..
- Love the brunch potatoesOccasionalDinerVIPDined on 3/30/2014I have been to Maria's 3 or 4 times for brunch. They have the best fried potatoes I think I have ever had. I always clean my plate and have never been disappointed. The prices are reasonable and the ambiance is charming. The Italian music playing from the speakers is an added bonus.Special Features:
- OkaysdfcDined on 3/15/2014We went here with my brother who had been to Maria's in the past and enjoyed it. We had an okay meal but not great. Prices were high considering the quality of the food. Nothing was awful, just not as nice as we had expected.Special Features:
- MET ANOTHER COUPLE AT MARIAS.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014MET ANOTHER COUPLE AT MARIAS. MY HUSBAND AND i ARRIVED EARLY FOR AN EARLY COCKTAIL BEFORE OUR FRIENDS ARRIVED AND MARIAS WAS ABLE TO SEAT US. Wonderful sevice from that point on. The food was great. High;y recommend it to anyone who asks for a great Italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I made a request when makingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/1/2014I made a request when making the reservation, which they honored. Thank you!Special Features:
- Restaurant Week visitNightOutDined on 2/28/2014We visited Maria's during Annapolis Restaurant Week and once again said "we need to come here more often". The restaurant was full but not overly packed, food was delicious and our waitress Randi was super attentive. Valet parking is a nice touch but needs more staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad experienceGarrettDined on 2/25/2014I'll try to be fair about this. We went during restaurant week on 2/25/14. I think there were only two other couples in the place and it wasn't very late which should have been our first sign. Food was sub par but not terrible. Thus far I wouldn't recommend it to a friend but wouldn't be spurred to write a review. But wait, there's more. I left my credit card in the leather folder which isn't the restaurant's fault and wouldn't normally be a problem. But I called twice the next day and the denied I had it. When I checked my account online there were a bunch of charges being made. Hey Maria's, don't hire sketchy people next time.
- Not a favoriteWatssonDined on 2/22/2014Every time I’ve eaten at Maria’s I leave thinking that it's easy to do better in Annapolis. This time was no exception. I started with the Vongole del Sesto - just like my Sicilian grandmother would have made had I had a Sicilian grandmother - and moved on to the Pasta Captain Ashford. The word "weird" sprang to mind when I read the Captain Ashford menu description, and the Captain did not disappoint. A word about portion sizes - my wife and I regularly split a main course and either an appetizer or dessert. This night my wife shared a large order of calamari with her daughter and then polished off her linguine with clam sauce. It wasn't that her dish was so terrific - she said she’s had better - but that the portion was so small.
- Wonderful Experiencebp86Dined on 2/21/2014From start to finish it was a fabulous dinner. The owner Maria was lovely and greeted us warmly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maria's was great!youngbuck007Dined on 2/16/2014Took my wife there this past Sunday for dinner and food was all very good. Everything was served warm and promptly, service was very good. It did seem a bit pricey for the portion sizes, but we had a coupon from Living Social for $50 off a $100 bill so we were good to go! We got the calamari appetizer, there are two sizes and we got the big one and it seemed like a normal size portion at most other places. Overall we would definitely go back but it is a place you go for a special occasion since it is a bit pricier than other local options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDeyManDined on 2/15/2014I took my lady friend to Maria's for Valentines Day. It was perfect! Great food, service and atmosphere. If I had to complain about something: maybe had to sit a little too close to other tables but to be fair it's an old building and wouldn't have had room for us otherwise. Definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not fit for foodiesamyGDined on 2/15/2014Maria's has consistently been a charming restaurant, great historic location but the food just doesn't deliver and we will not give it another try. Presentation was poor, sauces were heavy and salty and there is a real lack of creativity in their menu. This restaurant seems to just know that they have a gold mine location for tourists and families visiting the academy so they don't have to work hard on the food. Service was great, love the feel of the place but the food was a C at absolute best. For good Italian we will stick to Little Italy in Baltimore.
- Great Valentines Day DinnermdmusketeerDined on 2/14/2014Maria's did a great job both with service on this busy night and the food. Both of our dinners were fantastic - Filet and Veal Chop. Large in size but fantastic flavor and tenderness. 2 blocks from home so we'll be going there regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice nightChesapeakeLoverDined on 2/14/2014Thank you for helping celebrate Valentines Day. Good food, good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & Service for V DayCPMarinoDined on 2/13/2014My husband and I went to Maria's the day before Valentine's Day when it was snowing. Because of the bad weather the restaurant was initially empty and we were seated immediately (we had a reservation). Our waiter, Cameron, was extremely attentive and very forward about providing suggestions for both wine and our meal. A few more couples came in, but overall it was quiet, which was perfect for the occasion. The food and wine were excellent, but the cost of my meal was too much for the dish: $34 for rockfish in a lemon cream sauce, a side of caprese-style pasta, and two asparagus spears. For a special occasion, it was acceptable, but we will not make this a regular spot due to the value.Special Features:
- We had a great time at Maria's.BobbieDined on 2/5/2014We had a great time at Maria's. The food was very good and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maria's delivers again!KarylDined on 2/1/2014Great meal for my son's 29th birthday. Scrumptious!Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedApompomDined on 1/18/2014Maria's food was some of the best Italian food I've ever eaten! We just wanted to try something new one night and thought their menu looked good. Everything tasted amazing!! Highly recommended!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingvjdantoneVIPDined on 1/14/2014After hearing rave reviews from friends,we decided to try Maria's-what a disappointment,especially for the prices. So-so quality with the food barely hot. Definitely not a come-back experience.
- Warm and happysusievernsdottir1Dined on 12/31/2013A group of 4 of us dined at Maria's on New Year's Eve with a 2 1/2 year old child and 3 adults. The Matre D accommodated us instantly. He stored the stroller, seated us immediately in a room with other diners who had children. The waitress served us promptly, and with a smile. Even with a completely full restaurant, the food came in a timely manner and was extremely tasty. Diners in the child-free zone enjoyed a romantic dining experience. I had gluten-free seafood medley pasta--delicioso! Others loved the cheese-stuffed ravioloi. Warm atmosphere, efficient service, comfort food--love this place!Special Features:
- Very Expensive for basics.OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 12/31/2013I realize location location location but 16.95 for 4 mushrooms filled with bread and a little crab meat is a little but much.
- My favorite restaurant inSheranDined on 12/31/2013My favorite restaurant in Annapolis. We have moved away from area but always return when visiting family. Six of us had an early dinner on New years eve. Despite the full house, service was wonderful and food delicious. I love the small room atmosphere but still a very lively place. Nice round tables for six makes for easy conversation. Their bruschetta continues to be the best I've ever had. Don't miss it. My favorite entree, pasta vongole, wasn't offered that evening due to a special menu. So we ordered their version of veal saltimbocca. I think I now have my new favorite. Bartender makes an excellent Manhattan. Thanks MariaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas Eve TraditionSailorMan1968Dined on 12/24/2013Maria's is our Christmas Eve tradition that never disappoints. Like having holiday dinner with your favorite Sicilian family.Special Features:
- RelaxingHgnlaxDined on 12/21/2013It was a very comfortable time we had at Maria's. The food was excellent, the service was unobtrusive and the atmosphere was wonderful. Definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but loud musicOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/15/2013The food was great, right temperature, good portion size. A little pricey but overall good place to eat. One down side was being near the music speaker embedded in the ceiling. Definitely affected the ambience.Special Features:
- Great authentic Sicilian foodpugasarousDined on 12/14/2013I took a Sicilian foodie to this restaurant as a surprise and they loved it! From the appetizers, to the wine to the espresso with dessert everything was delicious! Make sure to ask about Maria's appetizers as they weren't on the menu and you have to specifically ask about it! Will be going back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Italian FoodKandDdinersDined on 12/13/2013The food is great and the service was perfect. We have dietary issues and our server was very helpful. We always look forward to Maria's lunch or dinner when we visit Annapolis. The Lasagna is AMAZING!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't eat here for freeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/7/2013The service we received was indicative of absentee management and reliance upon tourists to provide an unsuspecting customer base. - We were seated in a back corner of the restaurant - Once seated we waited 15-20min before any further contact with staff. This was despite the fact we were practically seated in the service station, and so we're repeatedly passed by staff. Saw several other groups receive the same service. - The "recommended" wine was bargain brand. - Food was bad, especially considering the price paid. Clam pasta is made with canned clams with the exception of four to provide the appearance of freshness. Won't ever consider eating here again. Wouldn't here for free.