306 6th Street
Woodland, CA 95695Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.marias-cantina.com/
- Phone: (530) 402-1540
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM;
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Anthony Clifford
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Maria's Cantina
Bienvenido a María. It's our pleasure to serve you lo mejor de nuestra cocina (the best of our kitchen). Here you'll experience Mexican dishes with a Woodland twist. We buy from local farmers - sólo los más frescos (only the freshest). We season our meat and fish with Maria's "special spice" (a secret, all-natural blend you won't find anywhere else). The result is a bold, bright flavor that's uniquely Maria's. Servicio a su ritmo. We want you to feel like a treasured guest in our home, around our dinner table. Relax and savor your meal. You are welcome to linger as long as you like. We are here to anticipate and fulfill your dining experience. Oh yes, and to make you part of our big, happy family!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maria's Cantina reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (1)good for groups (1)kid-friendly (1)neighborhood gem (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Great Mexican Cuisinejwm1952VIPDined on 10/24/2014Really nice neighborhood restaurant in Woodland. Fabulous food, loved the 3 kinds of guacamole. Steak Ranchera was great. Just a very nice dinner with great food and service.Special Features:
- Dinner with friendsladyhamDined on 8/23/2014We sat at the bar waiting for our table. The bar is really nice. Our table was ready shortly after since the restaurant was not full on a Sat night at 7pm. We ordered chicken fajitas and carnitas. The carnitas had a lot more food on the plate than the chicken fajita's. There was not a lot of chicken on my plate. Too much rice for me. We also ordered the spicy guacamole as an appetizer. It had good flavor but was no hot and it was impossible to eat with the paper thin chips. Overall, the food was good.
- The following 41 reviews are from the Maria's Cantina reviews archive.
- happy4someDined on 6/15/2014Father's day was a day to celebrate at Maria's. They accommodated and informed us of the gluten free items and everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Valentine's Day dinnerDebBDined on 2/14/2014Our Valentine's Day dinner was excellent. We had a very attentive but unobtrusive waiter who did an outstanding job making sure we enjoyed our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All of us had a really goodLoulouVIPDined on 11/27/2013All of us had a really good meal at Maria's. Our only complaint is my husband didn't have much meat on his chilie verde platter. Service was great as alwaysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsSilviaVIPDined on 10/25/2013Our friends from Davis were joining us in Woodland for dinner. We recommended meeting at Maria's. They hadn't been there, and enjoyed the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!CherylDined on 10/20/2013My friend had the salmon which she said was fantastic. I had the taco salad which was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale MexicanValleyGirlDined on 9/13/2013We have eaten here several times. The food is fine - it doesn't knock your socks off, but's tasty and very consistent. Chips are nice and light and they are generous with refills. Most dishes could use a bit more 'kick'. Portions are generous. Drinks are fine - pomegranate margarita is yummy. Service is friendly and polite. In short, Maria's is a nice spot for a meal out, especially if you want more than the typical tacqueria fare that most Woodland restaurants offer. Inside can get loud when they have a full house. Lunch is probably quieter but we haven't had lunch there yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mom's DayItsmeDined on 5/12/2013Food was good, aunt complained about margarita not being so good, salads were great. A special added Mom's lunch or dessert special would have been fun or a free dessert or a single paper flower, serenade, piece of chocolate? A card made by Maria's saying "Happy Mom's Day" from Maria's Cantina, with a 10% off food coupon on the next visit. (Father's Day following month.) This was just another day at another restaurant as far as I was concerned and not a real Mother's Day celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and excellent service.DinnerVIPDined on 3/20/2013Great food and excellent service. The street tacos were prepared with great flavors. Highly recommend the "charro" beans.Special Features:
- We Love Maria'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/21/2012We celebrated my birthday at Maria's. Since my husband and I have been successful on the South Beach diet we skipped the tortilla chips and salsa and split an order of chicken fajitas with double black beans and no rice. It was excellent and very filling. The others in our group of seven also seemed to really enjoy their meals. It was very busy that night because they were observing the 'end of the world' on 12/21/12 but we were escorted straight to our table thanks to OpenTable.Special Features:
- Great Service and the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/19/2012Great Service and the food was QUITE good. I would have ranked the food "excellent" if the fish in my fish taco had been grilled vs. fried. Overall, would highly recommend as a local gem.Special Features:
- We enjoyed it very much.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/8/2012We enjoyed it very much. Wooden chairs could be more comfortable.Special Features:
- The owners spent a lot ofOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/3/2012The owners spent a lot of time and money on the restaurant building, decor and furnishings. It looks great. We drove in to Woodland from out of town. The service was friendly and efficient. The one problem was the food. There were four of us at the table. The one person who ordered a salad really enjoyed it. But the three of us who ordered Mexican food were disappointed. The flavors were not traditional. My chili relleno, for example, was hard and had to be cut with a knife. The salsa and the sauces were "unusual". We all decided we wouldn't visit again.Special Features:
- Atmosphere was nice. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2012Atmosphere was nice. Food was priced reasonably. Reservation nice and easy.Special Features:
- This is one of the few reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2012This is one of the few really good restaurants in Woodland. The staff is very friendly, providing excellent service. The food is really good, reasonably priced and arrives in a timely manner. This is a place we will go to on a weekly basis.Special Features:
- Food was good, but our serverBobbieDined on 7/7/2012Food was good, but our server took way too long checking on our table. We had to wait quite a while to even see a bill after dinner. We were not even asked if we wanted dessert.
- An off night...RandTSVIPDined on 5/27/2012We had our first so-so meal. I had a tortilla crusted tuna that was somewhat dry. The spinach side dish was quite salty and the bean and corn cake was bland and the texture was very unappealing. We have had some great meals here so I count it as an off night.Special Features:
- Mothers' Day lunch with 13OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/13/2012Mothers' Day lunch with 13 people. Great service and great food. We really enjoyed the patio.Special Features:
- Really nice to find a littleTARFOURVIPDined on 5/11/2012Really nice to find a little more upscale Mexican restaurant near Davis. Food was very good and the decor was great.Special Features:
- The music was a bit too loud.SilviaVIPDined on 5/5/2012The music was a bit too loud. The fish special was a bit salty.Special Features:
- Overall very good. Chips andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/10/2012Overall very good. Chips and salsa rocked.....retried beans were only so so.
- RETURN VISIT...RandTSVIPDined on 4/6/2012Another very nice meal. Seafood specials are always something to try.Special Features:
- I need to stop writing theseRandTSVIPDined on 3/12/2012I need to stop writing these reviews every time I visit but everything was excellent again. Ask for the specials and give them a try...it is well worth the adventure as the chefs know how to step out and prepare that step above dish.Special Features:
- I was slightly cautious ofJDiverVIPDined on 3/4/2012I was slightly cautious of misspellings like "telero" and overuse of flour tortillas (usually Northern cooking), but as I've eaten Mexican food in every region of Mexico as well as at many Mexican restaurants in the US I wanted to give this place a real chance. This place falls well short - the guacamole was fresh but bland; 'way overcooked mushy chiles rellenos merely filled with cheese and fried in a thick, gloppy batter; chicken tacos with overcooked mushy chicken; tortilla soup was interesting, but no tomato at all, and ceviche was "filled" with too much chopped cucumber bits; the rice was bland and overcooked as were the black beans. Very disappointing!
- Had lunch with a friend andRandTSVIPDined on 2/11/2012Had lunch with a friend and as usual service was right on and the albacore fish tacos were excellent. My friend thoroughly enjoyed her lunch and her first visit was a big hit with her and she will bring friends when they visit.Special Features:
- Great return visit...RandTSVIPDined on 1/21/2012We had a sea bass special that was to die for. Service was fast and very friendly and attentive. We have not been disappointed in any of our visits to Maria's Cantina and will return again. This is not typical Mexican food and has a unique flavor and quality not found in other Mexican restaurants.Special Features:
- Our friends had the specialSilviaVIPDined on 1/21/2012Our friends had the special fish dish and loved it. We were sad we didn't choose this because our dinner was not so great. My husband had the carnitas and I had an appetizer for my dinner. They were so-so. It's also fairly expensive for yuppy Mexican food. We do appreciate having another dining option in Woodland though, so are grateful for that!Special Features:
- We were seated in the bar,SilviaVIPDined on 1/13/2012We were seated in the bar, and didn't realize the bartender was our waiter. I had to go find this out from someone before we could order.
- This was our first visit asOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/11/2012This was our first visit as we were coming from Fairfield on our way to Sacramento and decided to try Maria's Cantina as since it is located in a small town, parking would be easier and it got great reviews. First we were seated by the kitchen area which was noisy so we asked to move and were accommodated immediately. The service was fantastic. Everyone was friendly and the food was good. The menu offers a nice variety.Special Features:
- This was our third trip.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/9/2011This was our third trip. Although we enjoyed it the other times the service had been slow. This time the food came out very quickly and everything was delicious. We definitely will be back.Special Features:
- FINALLY! As a self proclaimedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/2/2011FINALLY! As a self proclaimed food snob from the bay area, after we moved to Woodland I had almost given up hope that we would find a great restaurant here in town. Maria's Cantina has great Mexican food with a high-end California twist. Fantastic salsa and guac, and a nice selection of seafood, which I love. A nice atmosphere, with a cool bar area tops it off. Didn't try the margaritas, but hear from others that they're amazing.Special Features:
- Excellent in every way.CherylDined on 11/26/2011Excellent food, huge portions. Great service. I think lowering the brightness of the lights would enhance the dinner experience.Special Features:
- Very pleasant dining experience.CherylDined on 11/19/2011Very pleasant dining experience. Great enchiladas.Special Features:
- Outstanding food, creativeKaweekaVIPDined on 11/11/2011Outstanding food, creative menu and visually beautiful. A lot of attention to detail was obviously taken building this restaurant. It's definitely worth the drive to Woodland. Have a drink at the bar then enjoy the food.Special Features:
- Love the warm thin chips andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/15/2011Love the warm thin chips and salsa. Server was great, but the wait for the food is really long. The first time we went I thought it was just because they had offered a special but it was the same this time. One in our party said the carnitas were some of the best they had ever had.Special Features:
- Satisfied again....RandTSVIPDined on 8/20/2011Good food, good service, good prices...the basics are easily met here. I am a repeat customer and tried the grilled flank steak which was tender and delicious. Servers are top notch and friendly and are able to answer all questions about the menu. We have recommended Maria's to friends and now they are recommending to others. The salsa is great but I wish they could make their own hot sauce rather than rely on bottled hot sauce. A really nice addition to the Woodland restaurant scene.Special Features:
- So extremely noisy we couldOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2011So extremely noisy we could not converse. Shrimp dish was too spicy for my taste - would choose something different next time. Your waitresses were great.Special Features:
- A very realistic Mexican CantinaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2011A very realistic Mexican Cantina with great food. Greatly enjoyed.Special Features:
- Maaria's is new and surprisinglyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/17/2011Maaria's is new and surprisingly very nice. Food was not altogether authentic but good and reasonably priced, fresh ideas on drinks and very pleasant. Service is good and I would definitely return for either lunch, dinner or just drinks. The building was beautifully redone and looks great.Special Features: