319 West 51st Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mariapiany.com/
- Phone: (212) 765-6463
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm,;Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm,; Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Chef Luciano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Maria Pia
Although many restaurants in the theater district bill themselves as trattorias, few achieve the authentic feel and taste of Maria Pia. This charming Italian eatery boasts comfortable indoor seating for 80, a sun-dappled, 20-seat, rear outdoor garden, and a genial mood that makes the menu that much more savory. The three-course prix fixe menus offer dishes slick enough for savvy palates that still taste as if they were cooked up by mama Maria herself.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maria Pia reviews from OpenTable diners
203 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (127)fit for foodies (53)great for lunch (51)romantic (51)special occasion (45)good for groups (43)notable wine list (32)great for outdoor dining (30)late-night find (20)kid-friendly (12)hot spot (12)great for brunch (8)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- NoreviewVIPDined on 11/23/2014Service was poor. My wife ordered a side of pasta and got an entree portion. The waitress forgot my entree. Had to ask 3x for a glass of water. Waitress tried to make up for it by compting after dinner wine (which we don't drink) and coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Excellent choice in the heart of the theater district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and locationpdogg81Dined on 11/22/2014Maria Pia is located on 51st street near Broadway, and was a great complement to the show we saw that Saturday evening. We had 6:15 p.m. reservations and they seated us quickly. The chicken parm was good, but the butternut squash ravioli was really great. It's not super filling, but very tasty. The restaurant had a good selection of wines available and we had no problems with the service. I would definitely eat here again if I were going to be in the area for shopping or a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rebeccaDined on 11/22/2014OK Pre-theater dinner. Gnocchi was excellent, salads mediocre, and homemade burrata doesn't compare to what you can get at a good grocer; came out undressed- no balsalmic or EVOO, and with a few very good, but not enough and thinly sliced roasted peppers. For a homemade salad special at $15.95, very dissappointing. Very noisy, but service was pleasant and quick, and we arrived at the theater with plenty of time to spare.
- Not a bad choiceTomDDined on 11/22/2014We chose to eat here because both they accepted opentable reservations and a restaurant.com certificate. Reviews were mostly good, and we found the food very tasty, the meal prices reasonable for NYC, and the service was okay. During our meal we were asked to allow the staff to move our table over a foot or so to accommodate a large group coming in next to us. This was asked like a normal request - with little thought of us, just the restaurant staff. Overall, not a bad choice but don't expect the staff to provide any special attention.I would recommend this to a friend.
- What New York is about!ghm3Dined on 11/21/2014Small neighborhood restaurant, good food, good service, authentic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Find On a Visit to NYCCoalCarVIPDined on 11/21/2014My wife and dined at Maria Pia on a recent visit to New York in November, '14. On this particular night, we had theatre tickets and searched Open Table for restaurants within a few blocks of the theatre. The food and service were terrific: Flavorful and friendly. The atmosphere was lively and what we in the Midwest would refer to as "typical New York." By that, I mean smaller spaces, tables close to each other and a good buzz. Maria Pia was the hit of our several dining experiences in NYC on this trip. We will definitely be back when we're back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 11/20/2014Maria Pia is a favorite of mine and my friends. Food, service consistently good and the bottles of wine are a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home in Times SquaresalyarchtDined on 11/19/2014A great neighborhood find on a quiet street in an otherwise busy area yet convenient to Times Square area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem near the theatresOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014Good food fantastic service and a nice ambiance all for reasonable prices near the theaters I would definitely go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- de11246Dined on 11/16/2014We were there on a Sunday evening and had a very pleasant dinner. Salads were great and sensible size. Fresh pasta was excellent. A half portion was the perfect size to leave room for entrees. Wine list, though not extensive offered a few good choices. Prices were very reasonable. Would definitely visit again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location near Broadway. Food was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/15/2014Great location near Broadway. Food was excellent. Handled our large group wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingRayTVIPDined on 11/15/2014I have dined numerous times and in the past I rated the food 5 stars. This time we ordered a chicken and a veal dish. Both were disappointing. The meet was not top quality and was not well prepared. Our table was in a rear outside area that was, in spite of the cold night, quite cozy and comfortable, but it's all about the food and that wasn't very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just perfect!alavad1Dined on 11/13/2014Our first visit, but won't be our last! The service was excellent. Food was very good, perfect portions, reasonably priced....and the bar makes perfect martini's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemLauriePVIPDined on 11/12/2014I liked this restaurant very much. Lovely little neighborhood gem with a very nice menu, including a prix-fixed for both lunch & dinner. Prices are very reasonable and food is very tasty. Friendly and attentive staff. I highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise Findnewk53VIPDined on 11/11/2014We were looking for a smaller place in the greater Times Square area, and found Maria Pia. Service was gracious from arrival to departure, and we loved the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mildly disappointingXFM284Dined on 11/10/2014Have dined here numerous times with my wife and friends and it was always a 4-5 star experience. Brought some co-workers on a Monday night. Apps were excellent, but entrees were disappointing all around the table. Maybe the regular chef was off. Monday is likely a slow night since most Broadway theaters are dark. Will go back, but with some reservations (pun intended).Special Features:
- This place needs a waiting areaDsco23Dined on 11/8/2014Total disaster on a Saturday night, pre-theater. They have no area for people waiting for a table, so there was a crowd of impatient people crowded into the restaurant waiting to be seated the entire time we dined. They waiting crowd was practically on top of some of the tables, and filled in all available empty space near the door and around the bar. It made for a stressful dining experience. I still feel awful for the man who had an entire glass of red win spilled onto his lap when his table was jostled by the waiting crowd. Again, what a mess.
- Totally enjoyable eveningEatinginParkSlopeDined on 11/7/2014Got together with some college friends (we've been out of school for 30+ years) and found Maria Pia just by searching opentable. We got there while the theater crowd was finishing up and it was very loud, but once they left we were the raucous group. We ate, drank and laughed for hours. Food was delicious, service excellent, wine very nice and relatively reasonable. We ate family style, sharing first, second and third courses. When it came time for dessert we were full and decided to share one dish only -- they gave us two more on the house and an after dinner drink. All of us said we would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect pre-Broadway diningDilesbklynDined on 11/7/2014This place was referred by a co-worker who lives nearby. We had 11 in our party with a mix of kids and adults. Our reservation was for 6:00 pm and when we arrived exactly at 6:00 pm, our table was ready. Our servers were attentive and accommodating while realizing we had to be fed and paid by 7:40 pm. We never felt rushed and the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alexDined on 11/6/2014great venue. very attentive service. great food. great wine menu. very consistentSpecial Features:
- Good ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014Was tired of going to Little Italy after a Broadway show. Finding restaurant on open book took a chance. Food, decor and service was GREAT!Special Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 11/4/2014Maria Pia is one of my favorite restaurants in the theater district. The food is consistently good and the staff is warm and welcoming.Special Features:
- DeliciousKQSTVIPDined on 11/4/2014Great spot for a work lunch.delicious food and prompt service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ToothiesDined on 11/1/2014We felt very rushed. We were in and out in 35 minutes. Prix fixe was on the menu and stated that it was available everyday & all day but we were told that it was not available that evening.Special Features:
- very nice Italian TrattoriafreeportlisagVIPDined on 10/30/2014We enjoyed both our lunch at Maria Pia. The ambiance was lovely, small and comfortable. The food was very good, fresh baked bread served with high quality olive oil followed by my lunch, veal saltimbocca and my dining partner's pasta mare. The restaurant service was attentive, though not overbearing. Lunch was served quickly though we were not rushed in any way. Overall, very nice experience and convenient location.Special Features:
- Great FindDavidDined on 10/29/2014Great neighborhood find. Food was outstanding. Loved the ambiance. I would highly recommend. Great value.Special Features:
- Great!SkipppyDined on 10/27/2014All around great restaurant that I would recommend.Special Features:
- Great pre-matinee lunch on SundayCarolDined on 10/26/2014Great prix fixe lunch menu before a matinee. Not many restaurants are open for lunch on Sunday. The regular menu was also affordable. There were 4 in our party...two had lobster ravioli with a delicious sauce; another dinner had a large serving of salmon; I had probably one of the best veal saltimbucco!! The home made tiramisu was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKTomDDined on 10/25/2014Two meals were very good, one was good, two were fair at best. Portions were ok, good wine list, fair prices (for the good meals). Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Friendly and invitingHughChowDownsDined on 10/25/2014Went to Maria Pia's pre-theater. Very good food at a reasonable price. Staff is attentive and friendly - Would definitely go back
- DINnerDinerbeforeashowDined on 10/25/2014Excellent food, reasonably priced, attentive service, but on a busy Saturday night, too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food but tables too closeMactor17VIPDined on 10/25/2014If you don't mind sitting on top of others, the food is amazing. I loved the chicken parm. Wish they had better desserts.
- Lov2dineDined on 10/25/2014Third time dining there. Consistently good food and excellant serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for pre theater dinnerlonestarfoodieDined on 10/24/2014This was my 3rd time at Maria Pia, and it was wonderful as usual. I always been before a play since it is so convenient to the theaters. The food is always good, and the service is always attentive. I highly recommend it if you are going to the theater. I had the potato crusted branzino, and it was delicious. I will return on my next trip to NY.Special Features:
- Definitely going backDianajeanDined on 10/24/2014Went for a birthday lunch with a few ladies. The veal was tender and delicious and the gelato is a must-have. Everyone else enjoyed their meals as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like homeRabidAntsVIPDined on 10/23/2014What does a restaurant like Maria Pia do when descended upon by 20 starving and wet guests? Treats them like family! We had a wonderful evening with the staff. Our ages ranged from 7 to 70 and everyone left happy and full. The menu was adventuresome enough for our foodies and safe enough for our 7 year old. I know every return trip to Manhattan will include a return trip to Maria Pia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NeigborhoodGemDined on 10/23/2014I've been here before and I can say that the food has definitely improved and would recommend to others and go back myself.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/21/2014We have been coming here for seven years and each time the menu has been excellent, fresh pasta, delicious taste - amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-theater dinnerWordsperminuteDined on 10/18/2014The location is great and three of us on a girls weekend were drawn into the pretty white table clothes and menu that featured fresh takes on italian food. The staff remained busy and attentive. The food was flavorful and interesting. Not too expensive in the grand scheme of things.Special Features: