319 West 51st Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mariapiany.com/
- Phone: 2127656463
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm,;Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm,; Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Chef Luciano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Maria Pia
Although many restaurants in the theater district bill themselves as trattorias, few achieve the authentic feel and taste of Maria Pia. This charming Italian eatery boasts comfortable indoor seating for 80, a sun-dappled, 20-seat, rear outdoor garden, and a genial mood that makes the menu that much more savory. The three-course prix fixe menus offer dishes slick enough for savvy palates that still taste as if they were cooked up by mama Maria herself.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maria Pia reviews from OpenTable diners
175 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (108)fit for foodies (52)special occasion (50)romantic (50)great for lunch (49)good for groups (40)great for outdoor dining (31)notable wine list (29)late-night find (17)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (4)Show More
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/27/2014All around great restaurant that I would recommend.Special Features:
- Great pre-matinee lunch on SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014Great prix fixe lunch menu before a matinee. Not many restaurants are open for lunch on Sunday. The regular menu was also affordable. There were 4 in our party...two had lobster ravioli with a delicious sauce; another dinner had a large serving of salmon; I had probably one of the best veal saltimbucco!! The home made tiramisu was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Two meals were very good, one was good, two were fair at best. Portions were ok, good wine list, fair prices (for the good meals). Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Friendly and invitingHughChowDownsDined on 10/25/2014Went to Maria Pia's pre-theater. Very good food at a reasonable price. Staff is attentive and friendly - Would definitely go back
- DINnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Excellent food, reasonably priced, attentive service, but on a busy Saturday night, too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food but tables too closeMactor17VIPDined on 10/25/2014If you don't mind sitting on top of others, the food is amazing. I loved the chicken parm. Wish they had better desserts.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014Third time dining there. Consistently good food and excellant serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for pre theater dinnerlonestarfoodieDined on 10/24/2014This was my 3rd time at Maria Pia, and it was wonderful as usual. I always been before a play since it is so convenient to the theaters. The food is always good, and the service is always attentive. I highly recommend it if you are going to the theater. I had the potato crusted branzino, and it was delicious. I will return on my next trip to NY.Special Features:
- Definitely going backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Went for a birthday lunch with a few ladies. The veal was tender and delicious and the gelato is a must-have. Everyone else enjoyed their meals as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like homeRabidAntsVIPDined on 10/23/2014What does a restaurant like Maria Pia do when descended upon by 20 starving and wet guests? Treats them like family! We had a wonderful evening with the staff. Our ages ranged from 7 to 70 and everyone left happy and full. The menu was adventuresome enough for our foodies and safe enough for our 7 year old. I know every return trip to Manhattan will include a return trip to Maria Pia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NeigborhoodGemDined on 10/23/2014I've been here before and I can say that the food has definitely improved and would recommend to others and go back myself.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/21/2014We have been coming here for seven years and each time the menu has been excellent, fresh pasta, delicious taste - amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-theater dinnerWordsperminuteDined on 10/18/2014The location is great and three of us on a girls weekend were drawn into the pretty white table clothes and menu that featured fresh takes on italian food. The staff remained busy and attentive. The food was flavorful and interesting. Not too expensive in the grand scheme of things.Special Features:
- Great food before the theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014With the numerous choices in and around Broadway and "Restaurant Row" one can easily get overwhelmed. Often we make two or ever more reservations and still find ourselves second guessing. The food, service and ambiance at Maria Pia was exceptional. Ignore the negative reviews on service because you need to realize literally everyone come here has a show to catch. Obviously if show up at 7:00 expecting to eat and be out in time to catch an 8:00 show you are in trouble, because literally everyone else is there for the same thing. Give yourself time, and you will be fine. We arrived at 6:30 for an 8 show and had no problem. The food was fantastic and we will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lunch with a good friendCinderellaDined on 10/18/2014We had a terrific luncheon experience. I spent the day with a girlfriend that I use to work with. Everything (from the train ride, lunch at Maria Pia's and Madame Toussad's) was fabulous. The food at the restaurant was excellent as was the wine. The portions were perfect and the presentation was pleasing to the eye. Thank you for a fabulous day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and serviceGrammyRDined on 10/18/2014I have lunched at Maria Pia three times. Once with a friend, but for the last two years, our group of high school friends have held a reunion lunch there. This past week, Maria Pia (and manager Marcello) outdid itself in terms of food and service and accommodating our group's special requests, such as separate checks. The $15.95 prix fixe lunch is varied and delicious (some of the entrees do carry a small surcharge). Not one of our group of 12 ladies had a bad thing to say about our lunch in terms of food, price, ambience and service. We were allowed to "schmooze" for about two hours without disturbance. We will more than likely hold our 2015 reunion lunch at Maria Pia again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendliest place you will findEspoDined on 10/18/2014From the initial greetig at the door to the farewell, an amazing experience. Great service,& food. Oh yeah and resonable pricing. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerWheatieDined on 10/15/2014Prices were reasonable for upscale restaurant. The eggplant sauce pasta was different and excellent. Veal special with spinach & cheese outstanding. Like that it came w mash potatoes and veggie. Very light brown sauce....perfect. The wait staff was nice. Will go back. So many good choices on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT Italian find in MidtownTurk1004Dined on 10/11/2014We went out for a birthday dinner, having never been to Maria Pia before. We had to wait a little after we got there for our reservation, but we were offered a free drink while we waited. The service during the meal was speedy, and the waitstaff was friendly and attentive. The food was amazing; we all got prix-fixe items (fairly priced), which as a great choice! The salad, pasta, and gelato were excellent. I would go back again and I have already been recommending this place to friendsSpecial Features:
- Not so good :(LaraDined on 10/11/2014Despite confirmed reservation for 6 pm and arriving 5 mins to 6 were told that there is nothing available in the main room - only in the "back", I. E., tented outside. Since it was a pre-theater dinner couldn't wait and had to wear costs during dinner. Service and food were very impersonal and indifferent, but thankfully, it was no delays and we made it to our play on time. As other reviewers say - with so many options of nice service and food - why go there where you are not welcome and not missed (we have been going to Maria Pia for over 10 years)
- slp2Dined on 10/11/2014Meal was great as usual. we try to make Maria Pia one of our stops when in the NYC areaSpecial Features:
- great from start to finishEricVIPDined on 10/10/2014The service was attentive, but not overly so. Ambiance was intimate and food fantastic. I had the fish of the day; a whole branzino grilled. Amazing. Would love to go back the next time I am in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Evening!ORnurseDined on 10/8/2014Perfect get together with friends! Good service-- good food-- and good wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre theater placeajakeDined on 10/8/2014We found this gem of a restaurant when we were looking for a dinner place prior to a show. Food and service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely find in theater districtAnnieVIPDined on 10/8/2014We had a lovely dinner before going to a play. I arrived just before my friend and was seated immediately at a nice table. My friend came in a few minutes later and asked if we could be moved to the garden. Even though it was October, it was a beautiful evening and we went outside. We had the entire garden to ourselves for almost the entire dinner. The food was delicious, service friendly, and the space beautiful. The chicken milanese was very lightly breaded and fried unlike so many other places where the make it really heavy. It was my first time there, but not my last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Was visiting from out of town and decided to go to Maria Pia for my birthday. Our waiter was awesome and everyone was very friendly and welcoming there. I will definitely plan one night out of every future nyc trip to go back; the food was amazing, the service was amazing, and even though the restaurant was packed when we went our food was out in no time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maria PiaRKaneDined on 10/5/2014Attentive service, well-prepared, right-priced food make Maria Pia a perfect pre-theater spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EllisIslandDined on 10/3/2014Maria Pia is a very pretty little restaurant. I was very happy with everything they put in front of me. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificjcmoeDined on 10/2/2014First time & very pleased. Food was delicious. Excellent selection on menu. Service attentive & relaxed. Really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2014The restaurant was beautiful and the service was excellent, however, the portions were very small. I never saw such skinny pieces of chicken cutlet before. A 1/2 cutlet was cut into three skinny pieces. The chicken parm came with three spoons of spagetti. My Mom ordered the mussels as did the main next to us and he got double the portion that my Mom received. Wondering if it was because we had a restaurant.com coupon.Special Features:
- good foodfishDined on 10/1/2014Have dined multiple times and have enjoyed every meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good priced fixed menuAgulhaDined on 9/28/2014Great selections not just pasta Good presentations Quiet so,you can still talk to,your table mates Wonderful,serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-TheatretheaterloverDined on 9/27/2014Great spot for prix-fixe dining prior to a show. Quick in and out without feeling rushed. Attentive service. Decent wine.Special Features:
- Great meal before showMHfoodDined on 9/27/2014Really good traditional food. Pleasant setting. Service zippy which before a show was what we wanted. Excellent overall. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back for seconds at Maira PiaRobidaDined on 9/27/2014Overall very pleasing, our 2nd time back to NYC & we came back to Maria Pia on purpose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/25/2014This is a good restaurant in the theater district. Food was good, service was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maria PiaNYCEatsDined on 9/24/2014This was a good choice to take a few family members for a late night dinner after a show. We ordered from the prix-fixe menu. The salmon and fettucine were fine buy my skirt steak lacked in taste. Service was good and we were able to sit without being rushed during the evening. The wine menu was extensive and the dessert brought a sweet smile to our lips. We chose tiramisu, gelato and pannacotta. Next time I would try the house made pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharlieDined on 9/23/2014great for pre-theater dinner. Consistently good food and great wine selections by the glassSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, not greatjbckDined on 9/23/2014I went here for lunch because I needed a place to dine in the neighborhood with a client where I could have a conversation, and I wanted to make a reservation on open table. It looked like it fit the bill. It wasn't very crowded at all and the service was good, so it served my purposes. The food itself was just okay. I had a ceasar salad (bland) and chicken, which was also sort of bland. I think there are better options in the neighborhood that may not be listed on the websites .
- Great FoodmikepDined on 9/20/2014pasta was homemade and so FRESH. Seafood was amazing and food overall was well prepared!!! Great prices. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.