319 West 51st Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mariapiany.com/
- Phone: 2127656463
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm,;Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm,; Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Chef Luciano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Maria Pia
Although many restaurants in the theater district bill themselves as trattorias, few achieve the authentic feel and taste of Maria Pia. This charming Italian eatery boasts comfortable indoor seating for 80, a sun-dappled, 20-seat, rear outdoor garden, and a genial mood that makes the menu that much more savory. The three-course prix fixe menus offer dishes slick enough for savvy palates that still taste as if they were cooked up by mama Maria herself.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maria Pia reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (102)fit for foodies (48)great for lunch (48)romantic (47)special occasion (45)good for groups (39)great for outdoor dining (33)notable wine list (28)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (10)great for brunch (8)scenic view (5)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Great pre-theater dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014The location is great and three of us on a girls weekend were drawn into the pretty white table clothes and menu that featured fresh takes on italian food. The staff remained busy and attentive. The food was flavorful and interesting. Not too expensive in the grand scheme of things.Special Features:
- Great food before the theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014With the numerous choices in and around Broadway and "Restaurant Row" one can easily get overwhelmed. Often we make two or ever more reservations and still find ourselves second guessing. The food, service and ambiance at Maria Pia was exceptional. Ignore the negative reviews on service because you need to realize literally everyone come here has a show to catch. Obviously if show up at 7:00 expecting to eat and be out in time to catch an 8:00 show you are in trouble, because literally everyone else is there for the same thing. Give yourself time, and you will be fine. We arrived at 6:30 for an 8 show and had no problem. The food was fantastic and we will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerWheatieDined on 10/15/2014Prices were reasonable for upscale restaurant. The eggplant sauce pasta was different and excellent. Veal special with spinach & cheese outstanding. Like that it came w mash potatoes and veggie. Very light brown sauce....perfect. The wait staff was nice. Will go back. So many good choices on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT Italian find in MidtownTurk1004Dined on 10/11/2014We went out for a birthday dinner, having never been to Maria Pia before. We had to wait a little after we got there for our reservation, but we were offered a free drink while we waited. The service during the meal was speedy, and the waitstaff was friendly and attentive. The food was amazing; we all got prix-fixe items (fairly priced), which as a great choice! The salad, pasta, and gelato were excellent. I would go back again and I have already been recommending this place to friendsSpecial Features:
- Not so good :(LaraDined on 10/11/2014Despite confirmed reservation for 6 pm and arriving 5 mins to 6 were told that there is nothing available in the main room - only in the "back", I. E., tented outside. Since it was a pre-theater dinner couldn't wait and had to wear costs during dinner. Service and food were very impersonal and indifferent, but thankfully, it was no delays and we made it to our play on time. As other reviewers say - with so many options of nice service and food - why go there where you are not welcome and not missed (we have been going to Maria Pia for over 10 years)
- slp2Dined on 10/11/2014Meal was great as usual. we try to make Maria Pia one of our stops when in the NYC areaSpecial Features:
- great from start to finishEricVIPDined on 10/10/2014The service was attentive, but not overly so. Ambiance was intimate and food fantastic. I had the fish of the day; a whole branzino grilled. Amazing. Would love to go back the next time I am in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Evening!ORnurseDined on 10/8/2014Perfect get together with friends! Good service-- good food-- and good wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre theater placeajakeDined on 10/8/2014We found this gem of a restaurant when we were looking for a dinner place prior to a show. Food and service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely find in theater districtAnnieVIPDined on 10/8/2014We had a lovely dinner before going to a play. I arrived just before my friend and was seated immediately at a nice table. My friend came in a few minutes later and asked if we could be moved to the garden. Even though it was October, it was a beautiful evening and we went outside. We had the entire garden to ourselves for almost the entire dinner. The food was delicious, service friendly, and the space beautiful. The chicken milanese was very lightly breaded and fried unlike so many other places where the make it really heavy. It was my first time there, but not my last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Was visiting from out of town and decided to go to Maria Pia for my birthday. Our waiter was awesome and everyone was very friendly and welcoming there. I will definitely plan one night out of every future nyc trip to go back; the food was amazing, the service was amazing, and even though the restaurant was packed when we went our food was out in no time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maria PiaRKaneDined on 10/5/2014Attentive service, well-prepared, right-priced food make Maria Pia a perfect pre-theater spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EllisIslandDined on 10/3/2014Maria Pia is a very pretty little restaurant. I was very happy with everything they put in front of me. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificjcmoeDined on 10/2/2014First time & very pleased. Food was delicious. Excellent selection on menu. Service attentive & relaxed. Really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2014The restaurant was beautiful and the service was excellent, however, the portions were very small. I never saw such skinny pieces of chicken cutlet before. A 1/2 cutlet was cut into three skinny pieces. The chicken parm came with three spoons of spagetti. My Mom ordered the mussels as did the main next to us and he got double the portion that my Mom received. Wondering if it was because we had a restaurant.com coupon.Special Features:
- good foodfishDined on 10/1/2014Have dined multiple times and have enjoyed every meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good priced fixed menuAgulhaDined on 9/28/2014Great selections not just pasta Good presentations Quiet so,you can still talk to,your table mates Wonderful,serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-TheatretheaterloverDined on 9/27/2014Great spot for prix-fixe dining prior to a show. Quick in and out without feeling rushed. Attentive service. Decent wine.Special Features:
- Great meal before showMHfoodDined on 9/27/2014Really good traditional food. Pleasant setting. Service zippy which before a show was what we wanted. Excellent overall. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back for seconds at Maira PiaRobidaDined on 9/27/2014Overall very pleasing, our 2nd time back to NYC & we came back to Maria Pia on purpose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/25/2014This is a good restaurant in the theater district. Food was good, service was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maria PiaNYCEatsDined on 9/24/2014This was a good choice to take a few family members for a late night dinner after a show. We ordered from the prix-fixe menu. The salmon and fettucine were fine buy my skirt steak lacked in taste. Service was good and we were able to sit without being rushed during the evening. The wine menu was extensive and the dessert brought a sweet smile to our lips. We chose tiramisu, gelato and pannacotta. Next time I would try the house made pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharlieDined on 9/23/2014great for pre-theater dinner. Consistently good food and great wine selections by the glassSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, not greatjbckDined on 9/23/2014I went here for lunch because I needed a place to dine in the neighborhood with a client where I could have a conversation, and I wanted to make a reservation on open table. It looked like it fit the bill. It wasn't very crowded at all and the service was good, so it served my purposes. The food itself was just okay. I had a ceasar salad (bland) and chicken, which was also sort of bland. I think there are better options in the neighborhood that may not be listed on the websites .
- Great FoodmikepDined on 9/20/2014pasta was homemade and so FRESH. Seafood was amazing and food overall was well prepared!!! Great prices. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKMRNYCVIPDined on 9/20/2014The food was not all that great for the prices they charge. The staff are nice and the service is good. The wine list needs works and the desert menu is not all that good. Its mostly for the pre-theater folks.Special Features:
- A bit of ItalyBigFKahunaDined on 9/20/2014A bit of Italy close to the Times Square area...well worth stopping in for a wonderful and authentic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for pre theater food is gooddedeDined on 9/20/2014front room very noisy back room isi a little seedy looking and smell from candle sterno on table but not as noisy as front roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Birthday to RememberKHughesNYCDined on 9/17/2014I took my partner here to celebrate his birthday and the entire staff pitched in to make this a dinner to remember! The food was to die for and the wine list was amazing! The manager saw that we were a little torn between a few different bottles and suggested a bottle that wasn't even on the menu yet. He let us try it first and it was delicious! We had never been here before and just tried it on a whim and it was such a great find! Definitely will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Went after a show and it was very good, with reasonable pricing being that close to broadway. If your down to see a show its a very short walk and everything we ordered was excellent. Not the best Italian I've ever eaten, but very good and I'd recommend it.
- Great service, really nice placeCtgirlDined on 9/13/2014Maria Pia is a really good Italian trattoria. The atmosphere is lovely, the wine was great and the staff was very nice and helpful. They were kind to accommodate a reservation for 10 with only a few days notice which was also awesome. I'm rating only 4 stars bc I felt the food was a bit salty, service was a bit slow when we had told them in advance we had to be out in time for a show. We were scrambling at the end to make it. Also the kitchen light was shining bright in my face, I was probably the only person in the restaurant affected by this due to my seat location. It was distracting though, a curtain or something would make a huge difference. Other than that the place was delightful, very reasonably priced and a great preshow place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Garden delightful!PJenyaVIPDined on 9/10/2014Wonderful experience- delicious food, excellent service, delightful garden dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick bite before a showFoddieUSAFDined on 9/9/2014Close location to theaters. Good food and service. Had the salmon, good taste.Special Features:
- Perfect for seeing a playLeftycDined on 9/9/2014Food was delicious location to Broadway play perfect. The prix fixe dinner price was nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new findBillyVIPDined on 9/9/2014We have walked by many times. So, glad we went in this time. All positive comments. Wonderful all around. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been betterDDeanVIPDined on 9/7/2014The room is lovely, the food good, but the service? Our waiter was one of the least friendly I've ever seen! He was annoyed to answer our questions about the menu--really bad attitude.
- Hidden Gem of a RestaurantMichaelsCorner1Dined on 9/6/2014Friendly and accommodating wait staff, delicious Italian food which was filling, conversational photos on walls all contributed to making this a hidden gem of a restaurant within the theatre district.Special Features:
- Excellent!DesignerDinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014I brought my family for a pre-theater dinner on Saturday Night. It was excellent! The service was also amazing. I highly recommend this place. It was also a birthday celebration, so they did it right by singing to her and adding candles to a wonderful dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyable.RayTVIPDined on 9/3/2014Always enjoyable. We dined again in the garden area in the rear of the restaurant. It was early, so the restaurant was not crowded and was very quiet. Great for before or after the theater.Special Features:
- All around Pre-Theater PerfectLindyVIPDined on 9/3/2014Although a little out of the way for most theaters, it couldn't have been nicer. A very reasonable prix fixed lunch with many choices, ample portions, and delicious food. The service staff was cordial and attentive, the ambiance lovely, and even an out door space, if desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.