319 West 51st Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mariapiany.com/
- Phone: (212) 765-6463
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm,;Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm,; Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Chef Luciano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Maria Pia
Although many restaurants in the theater district bill themselves as trattorias, few achieve the authentic feel and taste of Maria Pia. This charming Italian eatery boasts comfortable indoor seating for 80, a sun-dappled, 20-seat, rear outdoor garden, and a genial mood that makes the menu that much more savory. The three-course prix fixe menus offer dishes slick enough for savvy palates that still taste as if they were cooked up by mama Maria herself.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maria Pia reviews from OpenTable diners
197 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (121)romantic (53)great for lunch (52)fit for foodies (51)special occasion (47)good for groups (43)great for outdoor dining (30)notable wine list (30)late-night find (20)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (10)great for brunch (8)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (4)Show More
- foodieVIPDined on 11/20/2014Maria Pia is a favorite of mine and my friends. Food, service consistently good and the bottles of wine are a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem near the theatresOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014Good food fantastic service and a nice ambiance all for reasonable prices near the theaters I would definitely go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- de11246Dined on 11/16/2014We were there on a Sunday evening and had a very pleasant dinner. Salads were great and sensible size. Fresh pasta was excellent. A half portion was the perfect size to leave room for entrees. Wine list, though not extensive offered a few good choices. Prices were very reasonable. Would definitely visit again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingRayTVIPDined on 11/15/2014I have dined numerous times and in the past I rated the food 5 stars. This time we ordered a chicken and a veal dish. Both were disappointing. The meet was not top quality and was not well prepared. Our table was in a rear outside area that was, in spite of the cold night, quite cozy and comfortable, but it's all about the food and that wasn't very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just perfect!alavad1Dined on 11/13/2014Our first visit, but won't be our last! The service was excellent. Food was very good, perfect portions, reasonably priced....and the bar makes perfect martini's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemLauriePVIPDined on 11/12/2014I liked this restaurant very much. Lovely little neighborhood gem with a very nice menu, including a prix-fixed for both lunch & dinner. Prices are very reasonable and food is very tasty. Friendly and attentive staff. I highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise Findnewk53VIPDined on 11/11/2014We were looking for a smaller place in the greater Times Square area, and found Maria Pia. Service was gracious from arrival to departure, and we loved the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mildly disappointingXFM284Dined on 11/10/2014Have dined here numerous times with my wife and friends and it was always a 4-5 star experience. Brought some co-workers on a Monday night. Apps were excellent, but entrees were disappointing all around the table. Maybe the regular chef was off. Monday is likely a slow night since most Broadway theaters are dark. Will go back, but with some reservations (pun intended).Special Features:
- This place needs a waiting areaDsco23Dined on 11/8/2014Total disaster on a Saturday night, pre-theater. They have no area for people waiting for a table, so there was a crowd of impatient people crowded into the restaurant waiting to be seated the entire time we dined. They waiting crowd was practically on top of some of the tables, and filled in all available empty space near the door and around the bar. It made for a stressful dining experience. I still feel awful for the man who had an entire glass of red win spilled onto his lap when his table was jostled by the waiting crowd. Again, what a mess.
- Totally enjoyable eveningEatinginParkSlopeDined on 11/7/2014Got together with some college friends (we've been out of school for 30+ years) and found Maria Pia just by searching opentable. We got there while the theater crowd was finishing up and it was very loud, but once they left we were the raucous group. We ate, drank and laughed for hours. Food was delicious, service excellent, wine very nice and relatively reasonable. We ate family style, sharing first, second and third courses. When it came time for dessert we were full and decided to share one dish only -- they gave us two more on the house and an after dinner drink. All of us said we would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect pre-Broadway diningDilesbklynDined on 11/7/2014This place was referred by a co-worker who lives nearby. We had 11 in our party with a mix of kids and adults. Our reservation was for 6:00 pm and when we arrived exactly at 6:00 pm, our table was ready. Our servers were attentive and accommodating while realizing we had to be fed and paid by 7:40 pm. We never felt rushed and the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alexDined on 11/6/2014great venue. very attentive service. great food. great wine menu. very consistentSpecial Features:
- Good ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014Was tired of going to Little Italy after a Broadway show. Finding restaurant on open book took a chance. Food, decor and service was GREAT!Special Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 11/4/2014Maria Pia is one of my favorite restaurants in the theater district. The food is consistently good and the staff is warm and welcoming.Special Features:
- DeliciousKQSTVIPDined on 11/4/2014Great spot for a work lunch.delicious food and prompt service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ToothiesDined on 11/1/2014We felt very rushed. We were in and out in 35 minutes. Prix fixe was on the menu and stated that it was available everyday & all day but we were told that it was not available that evening.Special Features:
- very nice Italian TrattoriafreeportlisagVIPDined on 10/30/2014We enjoyed both our lunch at Maria Pia. The ambiance was lovely, small and comfortable. The food was very good, fresh baked bread served with high quality olive oil followed by my lunch, veal saltimbocca and my dining partner's pasta mare. The restaurant service was attentive, though not overbearing. Lunch was served quickly though we were not rushed in any way. Overall, very nice experience and convenient location.Special Features:
- Great FindDavidDined on 10/29/2014Great neighborhood find. Food was outstanding. Loved the ambiance. I would highly recommend. Great value.Special Features:
- Great!SkipppyDined on 10/27/2014All around great restaurant that I would recommend.Special Features:
- Great pre-matinee lunch on SundayCarolDined on 10/26/2014Great prix fixe lunch menu before a matinee. Not many restaurants are open for lunch on Sunday. The regular menu was also affordable. There were 4 in our party...two had lobster ravioli with a delicious sauce; another dinner had a large serving of salmon; I had probably one of the best veal saltimbucco!! The home made tiramisu was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKTomDDined on 10/25/2014Two meals were very good, one was good, two were fair at best. Portions were ok, good wine list, fair prices (for the good meals). Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Friendly and invitingHughChowDownsDined on 10/25/2014Went to Maria Pia's pre-theater. Very good food at a reasonable price. Staff is attentive and friendly - Would definitely go back
- DINnerDinerbeforeashowDined on 10/25/2014Excellent food, reasonably priced, attentive service, but on a busy Saturday night, too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food but tables too closeMactor17VIPDined on 10/25/2014If you don't mind sitting on top of others, the food is amazing. I loved the chicken parm. Wish they had better desserts.
- Lov2dineDined on 10/25/2014Third time dining there. Consistently good food and excellant serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for pre theater dinnerlonestarfoodieDined on 10/24/2014This was my 3rd time at Maria Pia, and it was wonderful as usual. I always been before a play since it is so convenient to the theaters. The food is always good, and the service is always attentive. I highly recommend it if you are going to the theater. I had the potato crusted branzino, and it was delicious. I will return on my next trip to NY.Special Features:
- Definitely going backDianajeanDined on 10/24/2014Went for a birthday lunch with a few ladies. The veal was tender and delicious and the gelato is a must-have. Everyone else enjoyed their meals as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like homeRabidAntsVIPDined on 10/23/2014What does a restaurant like Maria Pia do when descended upon by 20 starving and wet guests? Treats them like family! We had a wonderful evening with the staff. Our ages ranged from 7 to 70 and everyone left happy and full. The menu was adventuresome enough for our foodies and safe enough for our 7 year old. I know every return trip to Manhattan will include a return trip to Maria Pia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NeigborhoodGemDined on 10/23/2014I've been here before and I can say that the food has definitely improved and would recommend to others and go back myself.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/21/2014We have been coming here for seven years and each time the menu has been excellent, fresh pasta, delicious taste - amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-theater dinnerWordsperminuteDined on 10/18/2014The location is great and three of us on a girls weekend were drawn into the pretty white table clothes and menu that featured fresh takes on italian food. The staff remained busy and attentive. The food was flavorful and interesting. Not too expensive in the grand scheme of things.Special Features:
- Great food before the theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014With the numerous choices in and around Broadway and "Restaurant Row" one can easily get overwhelmed. Often we make two or ever more reservations and still find ourselves second guessing. The food, service and ambiance at Maria Pia was exceptional. Ignore the negative reviews on service because you need to realize literally everyone come here has a show to catch. Obviously if show up at 7:00 expecting to eat and be out in time to catch an 8:00 show you are in trouble, because literally everyone else is there for the same thing. Give yourself time, and you will be fine. We arrived at 6:30 for an 8 show and had no problem. The food was fantastic and we will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lunch with a good friendCinderellaDined on 10/18/2014We had a terrific luncheon experience. I spent the day with a girlfriend that I use to work with. Everything (from the train ride, lunch at Maria Pia's and Madame Toussad's) was fabulous. The food at the restaurant was excellent as was the wine. The portions were perfect and the presentation was pleasing to the eye. Thank you for a fabulous day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and serviceGrammyRDined on 10/18/2014I have lunched at Maria Pia three times. Once with a friend, but for the last two years, our group of high school friends have held a reunion lunch there. This past week, Maria Pia (and manager Marcello) outdid itself in terms of food and service and accommodating our group's special requests, such as separate checks. The $15.95 prix fixe lunch is varied and delicious (some of the entrees do carry a small surcharge). Not one of our group of 12 ladies had a bad thing to say about our lunch in terms of food, price, ambience and service. We were allowed to "schmooze" for about two hours without disturbance. We will more than likely hold our 2015 reunion lunch at Maria Pia again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendliest place you will findEspoDined on 10/18/2014From the initial greetig at the door to the farewell, an amazing experience. Great service,& food. Oh yeah and resonable pricing. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerWheatieDined on 10/15/2014Prices were reasonable for upscale restaurant. The eggplant sauce pasta was different and excellent. Veal special with spinach & cheese outstanding. Like that it came w mash potatoes and veggie. Very light brown sauce....perfect. The wait staff was nice. Will go back. So many good choices on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT Italian find in MidtownTurk1004Dined on 10/11/2014We went out for a birthday dinner, having never been to Maria Pia before. We had to wait a little after we got there for our reservation, but we were offered a free drink while we waited. The service during the meal was speedy, and the waitstaff was friendly and attentive. The food was amazing; we all got prix-fixe items (fairly priced), which as a great choice! The salad, pasta, and gelato were excellent. I would go back again and I have already been recommending this place to friendsSpecial Features:
- Not so good :(LaraDined on 10/11/2014Despite confirmed reservation for 6 pm and arriving 5 mins to 6 were told that there is nothing available in the main room - only in the "back", I. E., tented outside. Since it was a pre-theater dinner couldn't wait and had to wear costs during dinner. Service and food were very impersonal and indifferent, but thankfully, it was no delays and we made it to our play on time. As other reviewers say - with so many options of nice service and food - why go there where you are not welcome and not missed (we have been going to Maria Pia for over 10 years)
- slp2Dined on 10/11/2014Meal was great as usual. we try to make Maria Pia one of our stops when in the NYC areaSpecial Features:
- great from start to finishEricVIPDined on 10/10/2014The service was attentive, but not overly so. Ambiance was intimate and food fantastic. I had the fish of the day; a whole branzino grilled. Amazing. Would love to go back the next time I am in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.