319 West 51st Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mariapiany.com/
- Phone: 2127656463
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm,;Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm,; Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Chef Luciano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Maria Pia
Although many restaurants in the theater district bill themselves as trattorias, few achieve the authentic feel and taste of Maria Pia. This charming Italian eatery boasts comfortable indoor seating for 80, a sun-dappled, 20-seat, rear outdoor garden, and a genial mood that makes the menu that much more savory. The three-course prix fixe menus offer dishes slick enough for savvy palates that still taste as if they were cooked up by mama Maria herself.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maria Pia reviews from OpenTable diners
159 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (95)fit for foodies (47)great for lunch (44)romantic (42)good for groups (39)special occasion (39)great for outdoor dining (37)notable wine list (25)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (12)hot spot (6)great for brunch (5)scenic view (5)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Good priced fixed menuAgulhaDined on 9/28/2014Great selections not just pasta Good presentations Quiet so,you can still talk to,your table mates Wonderful,serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal before showOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Really good traditional food. Pleasant setting. Service zippy which before a show was what we wanted. Excellent overall. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back for seconds at Maira PiaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Overall very pleasing, our 2nd time back to NYC & we came back to Maria Pia on purpose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/25/2014This is a good restaurant in the theater district. Food was good, service was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maria PiaNYCEatsDined on 9/24/2014This was a good choice to take a few family members for a late night dinner after a show. We ordered from the prix-fixe menu. The salmon and fettucine were fine buy my skirt steak lacked in taste. Service was good and we were able to sit without being rushed during the evening. The wine menu was extensive and the dessert brought a sweet smile to our lips. We chose tiramisu, gelato and pannacotta. Next time I would try the house made pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharlieDined on 9/23/2014great for pre-theater dinner. Consistently good food and great wine selections by the glassSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, not greatjbckDined on 9/23/2014I went here for lunch because I needed a place to dine in the neighborhood with a client where I could have a conversation, and I wanted to make a reservation on open table. It looked like it fit the bill. It wasn't very crowded at all and the service was good, so it served my purposes. The food itself was just okay. I had a ceasar salad (bland) and chicken, which was also sort of bland. I think there are better options in the neighborhood that may not be listed on the websites .
- Great FoodmikepDined on 9/20/2014pasta was homemade and so FRESH. Seafood was amazing and food overall was well prepared!!! Great prices. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of ItalyBigFKahunaDined on 9/20/2014A bit of Italy close to the Times Square area...well worth stopping in for a wonderful and authentic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for pre theater food is gooddedeDined on 9/20/2014front room very noisy back room isi a little seedy looking and smell from candle sterno on table but not as noisy as front roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Birthday to RememberKHughesNYCDined on 9/17/2014I took my partner here to celebrate his birthday and the entire staff pitched in to make this a dinner to remember! The food was to die for and the wine list was amazing! The manager saw that we were a little torn between a few different bottles and suggested a bottle that wasn't even on the menu yet. He let us try it first and it was delicious! We had never been here before and just tried it on a whim and it was such a great find! Definitely will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Went after a show and it was very good, with reasonable pricing being that close to broadway. If your down to see a show its a very short walk and everything we ordered was excellent. Not the best Italian I've ever eaten, but very good and I'd recommend it.
- Great service, really nice placeCtgirlDined on 9/13/2014Maria Pia is a really good Italian trattoria. The atmosphere is lovely, the wine was great and the staff was very nice and helpful. They were kind to accommodate a reservation for 10 with only a few days notice which was also awesome. I'm rating only 4 stars bc I felt the food was a bit salty, service was a bit slow when we had told them in advance we had to be out in time for a show. We were scrambling at the end to make it. Also the kitchen light was shining bright in my face, I was probably the only person in the restaurant affected by this due to my seat location. It was distracting though, a curtain or something would make a huge difference. Other than that the place was delightful, very reasonably priced and a great preshow place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Garden delightful!PJenyaVIPDined on 9/10/2014Wonderful experience- delicious food, excellent service, delightful garden dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick bite before a showFoddieUSAFDined on 9/9/2014Close location to theaters. Good food and service. Had the salmon, good taste.Special Features:
- Perfect for seeing a playLeftycDined on 9/9/2014Food was delicious location to Broadway play perfect. The prix fixe dinner price was nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new findBillyVIPDined on 9/9/2014We have walked by many times. So, glad we went in this time. All positive comments. Wonderful all around. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been betterDDeanVIPDined on 9/7/2014The room is lovely, the food good, but the service? Our waiter was one of the least friendly I've ever seen! He was annoyed to answer our questions about the menu--really bad attitude.
- Hidden Gem of a RestaurantMichaelsCorner1Dined on 9/6/2014Friendly and accommodating wait staff, delicious Italian food which was filling, conversational photos on walls all contributed to making this a hidden gem of a restaurant within the theatre district.Special Features:
- Excellent!DesignerDinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014I brought my family for a pre-theater dinner on Saturday Night. It was excellent! The service was also amazing. I highly recommend this place. It was also a birthday celebration, so they did it right by singing to her and adding candles to a wonderful dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyable.RayTVIPDined on 9/3/2014Always enjoyable. We dined again in the garden area in the rear of the restaurant. It was early, so the restaurant was not crowded and was very quiet. Great for before or after the theater.Special Features:
- All around Pre-Theater PerfectLindyVIPDined on 9/3/2014Although a little out of the way for most theaters, it couldn't have been nicer. A very reasonable prix fixed lunch with many choices, ample portions, and delicious food. The service staff was cordial and attentive, the ambiance lovely, and even an out door space, if desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!AandJVIPDined on 8/26/2014This was our first time here and weloved everything we had. Very reasonable price, we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodcitygirl4Dined on 8/26/2014Decor, setting, service was great but the food was disappointing even our neighbor table felt the same. The food was ok but my chicken was dry our bruschetta was sent back because it was soggy and fell apart second was only slightly better. My salad was okay small for price they could have skipped the wasted pastry bowl that it came in. I thought we were going to have this great Italian food especially because the atmosphere was so inviting but sorry to say the food needs improvement.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatwannabefoodieDined on 8/25/2014We have been here several times over the last few years. Food and service have been great every time. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!!mimaDined on 8/23/2014Italian yummmmm,m. Gluten free pasta available. Walter was very niceSpecial Features:
- lovelyladyDined on 8/23/2014My meal - chicken parm - was really good. Soup was not good. My niece did not like her pasta - sauce had too much basil in it.Special Features:
- Very high quality for picky eaters!GregDined on 8/22/2014We wanted Italian, we wanted close and convenient to Theatre, we wanted high quality food, we wanted great service, and we did not want overpriced.....we got it all at Maria Pia!!!Special Features:
- Always happy at Maria Pia'sBabyNasDined on 8/22/2014This is a lovely place, with great food and service. I am very lucky because I usually take a late lunch and there is a smaller crowd of people. Everyone is so nice and the food is incredible. My favorite...the pappadelle with Bolognese sauce...INCREDIBLE. Don't miss out on this relaxing neighborhood gem. It will have everything you like and the prices are very reasonable. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoreviewDined on 8/21/2014A must to dine in their patio in the back of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect pre-theater dinnerBundymom61Dined on 8/21/2014Our family came to the city to enjoy a special experience that we couldn't find anywhere else. We wanted a very good dinner before our Broadway show. Wow! Maria Pia did not disappoint!!! It was convenient to our show and the website promised a great dining experience. Italian cuisine is my family's favorite and we have had some great meals in the past but nothing to compare with the quality, taste, and presentation of Maria Pia. The chicken Marsala (my son's favorite) was the best he has ever had! Sauce was light and perfect and truffle mash potatoes paired perfectly. Daughter's risotto was wonderful and perfect. I was delighted that your chef knew how to cook pasta to true al dente! Service was great. Meal was worth every cent!! Brava!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Food great service very good people friendly. Prix fixed choices greatSpecial Features:
- Good and BadTheatreGoerDined on 8/17/2014We came on a Sunday for lunch before a show and ordered from the PF. We both ordered the Caesar salads and both came w/o dressing. Just some iceberg lettuce and a few croutons. We had to flag down the waiter and ask for dressing. We also both ordered the cod, which was very good. The restaurant was pretty empty except for 2 tables. Dessert was served and we were never asked is we wanted coffee. We also never were asked if we wanted a refill of our drinks. The waiter was at the bar and we never saw him again until the bill came. Service was non-existent and there was no excuse for this since the restaurant was not busy. There are much better restaurants in the area. We would not recommend because of the dry salad and the service.
- Good Find for LunchElConsDined on 8/17/2014I have eaten lunch numerous times at Maria Pia and it is always consistently good food, good service. and very reasonable prices for a three course lunch in NYC. I highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Fantastic spotChadVIPDined on 8/16/2014My wife & I ran across after leaving Broadway for a late dinner. Food was fantastic & the service was great. Highly recommended. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Pre-Theater Diningjohnson212Dined on 8/16/2014We had a lovely meal at Maria Pia's before heading to the theater. The food was delicious and the service fast (verging on too fast) and efficient. They definitely know how to get you to your show on time. It is a lively restaurant with an outside covered dining area in the back. From start (Caprese salad-where the mozzarella melted in your mouth) to finish ( a decadent chocolate souffle) the food was wonderful! We will go back next time we are in the city. Highly recommend it !Special Features:
- A most enjoyable dinner.GeorgeVIPDined on 8/15/2014This was the first time at this restaurant. My friend and I found the food delicious, the service excellent, and the on the ambiance delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theatre gemDiningsnobDined on 8/6/2014Small unassuming restaurant tucked away in the middle of the street; good food; good wine; attentive waitstaff offering prefixed lunch and dinner menus with nice size portionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little gem!FoodFanatic54Dined on 8/3/2014Perfect location for pre or post theater dining within walking distance. Lovely "neighborhood feel" with good service, fresh tasting beautifully presented food and outdoor dining, if desired. Love the arugula salad in an edible Parmesan basket, fish is artfully paired with vegetables and lightly sauced with creative flavor combinations. Pastas are also prepared with appeal. Someone in your party with a less adventurous palate is no problem as there are enough menu choices for those individuals too. Kudos to the bartender for the best Negroni! The chocolate soufflé is delicious...give staff a heads up to allow the 12 minutes needed to prepare it to order. A good value, especially in this area of the city.Special Features:
- Cozy and ComfortablesharonVIPDined on 8/2/2014We made a last-minute reservation here because it's close to home and we were in the mood for Italian after a long day. Maria Pia definitely hit the spot. The service was attentive and quick, and the food was excellent. One small hiccup was that we didn't receive our bread until our pasta came out, but that's really just because the food came out so quickly. We were full by the time the dessert menus came out, but we'll definitely have to try it next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.