Mari Vanna - LA
8475 Melrose Place
West Hollywood, CA 90069Neighborhood:
RussianPrice: $30 and under
Mari Vanna - LA
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://marivanna.ru/
- Phone: 3236551977x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday:
Lunch: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Champagne Siesta: 3:30pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm - 1:00am
Brunch: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Russian, Creperie
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Mari Vanna - LA
Once upon a time in Moscow & St. Petersburg, a mythical woman named Mari Vanna welcomed diners into her home with open arms, feeding them traditional Russian fare on her finest china and linens. All were welcome and those who frequent were graced with a key of their own to return whenever they wish to this cozy retreat.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mari Vanna - LA reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (6)romantic (6)special occasion (4)neighborhood gem (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)fit for foodies (1)hot spot (1)good for groups (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Beautiful place and locationafisher423VIPDined on 7/27/2014Charming and beautiful restaurant. Went for Sunday brunch which got hectic around 1PM and was a bit too much for the small staff to handle. The food was OK but some dishes were a dissapointment. We will give it a try for dinner to see if food and service improves.Special Features:
- JazzyDined on 7/20/2014The only complaint - portion size is small for the amount of money they charge - I got pork shishkebab and it was only 4 small pieces (one bite) and one of them was fat (so only 3 pieces). Everything tasted good but definitely smaller portions that I've seen in other restaurants of comparable standing. Drinks were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mari VannaebtdadVIPDined on 7/20/2014First, through Open Table, I tried to increase my reservation from four to six people. I was informed that I could not do so. In fact, at 11:00 AM, we were the first party to arrive. Thereafter, for more than an hour, nobody else came. So,except for us, at that time, the place was empty. I don't know if the restaurant was at fault, or Open Table. But, somebody needs to do a little more work. Food was good, but main course portions are so skimpy that they are certainly not worth what we paid for them.
- Great time had by alleateverythingDined on 6/26/2014Since we hail from Poland, at least half of us do, we were excited to dine on regional cuisine. Though there are differences between Polish and Russian dishes there are more alike than not. We were pleasantly surprised with a waiter who was Polish, Mateusz, who was delightful. Felt like home. The food was authentic, well done and flavorful. The vodka infused shots were a perfect balance with the food. Smiles abound!! Fun surroundings, crazy Russian music and caviar. A new hangout for us!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 26 reviews are from the Mari Vanna - LA reviews archive.
- Good Russian Home CookingLoLoVIPDined on 6/12/2014Love this place! Always good food and just a little bit different. Russian food sure is hardy.Special Features:
- Great Find!AnnieL1Dined on 6/4/2014My friend and I wanted to go someplace different and special to celebrate our birthdays. We both like Russian food and this place did not disappoint. The staff was friendly and attentive and the food was amazing!! The martinis are a highlight of the visit. We tasted the raspberry and the pear martinis. The sour cherry dessert was a great finish to the meal. We will go back and bring friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a hidden gemriomVIPDined on 6/4/2014this beautiful restaurant has a magical garden that makes you feel miles away from the busy city. I love the attention to detail wherever you look there is something charming to delight the eye .The service is excellent from the moment they bring you a platter of rustic brown bread with olive oil and crudités to munch on while you peruse the menu to the excellent expresso at the end of your meal.I have been back a couple of times and always taste new things because there are dishes here I haven't seen elsewhere and it is all tasty and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MerittDined on 6/1/2014Terrible service and the food compared to the Marivanna in NYC is not that great!
- Lovely place, fantastic serviceotastyfishDined on 5/29/2014First time at Mari Vanna, but it definitely won't be my last. Thanks for a lovely lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for one time...PerfectionVIPDined on 5/27/2014The restaurant is awesome to try and experience, then move on. The food was good quality and the ambiance was pretty and whimsical, definitely an in your face, but beautiful Russian themed decor. The service was lacking severely, though the waitress was kind, they were all at times completely unavailable and naturally, cold. A Russian, chic, boutique-esque restaurant in the heart of West Hollywood, the irony wasn't lost upon us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BrunchHak2441VIPDined on 4/13/2014Took mom for an early Mother's Day since she was in town. They had a Prefix Menu you can choose from for $29. Only 1 selection for Vegetarians/ Vegans for the main dish but the dessert bar clearly makes up for it. There are three-four appetizers to choose from and endless mimosas. Plus, for first- timers they give you your choice of vodka shots for free! Mom had a tomato-basil. Last time my husband and I had the apricot vodka. You can sit outside which is quite lovely, on their porch setting or inside the little White House. The music changes around, at times a bit Russian sounding, then 80's, then 50's (mom loved that). A nice 1 1/2 -2 hours spent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Transported to another placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/19/2014We had a wonderful time in this charming place, as if you're in a dacha to the countryside of Russia, with it's decor and choices of vodka cocktails. The food was delicious -- such as refined versions of beef stroganoff and stuffed cabbage. The service was impeccable. A great spot for special occasions.Special Features:
- Great for a fun dinner outBertieDined on 3/17/2014My group of 4 enjoyed all the food and drinks we ordered, the service was friendly and helpful. The food was surprisingly authentic and homemade Russian, while the presentation was very modern. When we arrived at 7 there were several families enjoying dinner with young children and during our dinner the diners switched over to a very young, hip crowd. I would definitely go back again with anyone who is willing to try some new types of foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!gwgwVIPDined on 2/23/2014It was our first time visiting and we were not disappointed. The food was tasty and the service was wonderful. Prices were a bit more expensive for some items so this may be a place to save for a special occasion. The atmosphere was wonderful…you felt like you were eating someone's home making it very comfortable. All the staff did a great job of making you feel at home too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Food/Poor ServiceRambowDined on 2/12/2014It's a tough review to write because the employees were incredibly friendly but our waitress was so inept it drastically affected our evening. Food didn't show up. No dessert was offered. We had to ask for our bill three times. Was it busy? Not at all. Only one other table in our room was occupied. The food was good and I'd like to think I'd go back but I just don't it's worth the aggravation.Special Features:
- Restaurant is excellent inOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/12/2014Restaurant is excellent in every respect - great food, service and beautiful décor. This was our second time at this restaurant and we plan to come many more times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food & AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/9/2014The food here was great. I'd suggest getting the Beef Stroganoff which is made with filet mignon. Yum! The Honey Layer Cake was to die for. There is an accordion player that walks around this feminine, yet homey setting... and you're lucky enough you might get to hear all the staff sing happy birthday in Russian. Love it!Special Features:
- restaurant with GREAT ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/2/2014restaurant with GREAT ambience and potential. however, overall, food is a bit too salty. Also, waitress has attitude in explaining the 'most popular' and 'most recommended' dishes. Stated, 'u have to tell me ur preferences, otherwise i can stay here and talk about the menu ALL day', while her hand was placed on her waist as she talking impatiently with us.Special Features:
- Welcome Mari VannaOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/22/2013What a delightful late lunch my husband & I had at this very charming place which also offers unique afternoon tea. And Sasha our hostess was most charming and helpful in describing every item on the menu as well as making excellent suggestions. We're ready to come back for dinner next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They try to sit you so closeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/18/2013They try to sit you so close to existent occupied tables even they have plenty empty tables do us difficult to enjoy the place so we requested to move to a quiet section and they comment was you must leave by ,,, 10 pm ? Food was serve so quickly , I guess was just ready to put it in the microwave and serve so you can leave quickly ? No good
- The Best Russian Food in America!HappyDinerVIPDined on 12/11/2013My wife who was born and raised in St. Petersburg Russia and I first discovered Mari Vanna in NYC last year. We were thrilled by the exceptional attention to detail producing delicious and authentic Russian cuisine! The atmosphere is adorable, warm and inviting and the staff is very professional. When were ecstatic when Mari Vanna open its 3rd restaurant in LA and in their first 5 months of business we have already visited 5 times including a special outing I made (4 hours roundtrip) just to pick up my wife's favorite dishes. The food is extraordinary and this location is as good as NY! Recommendations include soleniya, salo (for real Russians), borsch, pelmini, duck leg, golobski, honey cake and more! All the dishes are excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond charming and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/25/2013We now have been to Mari Vanna twice and were blown away by the ambience, service and food. The decor is just so beautiful that it makes you so happy to just be there. The food is different, reasonably priced and delicious. Our waitress Sasha, made our night with her sweet personality and attentiveness. We can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Fantastic gourmet Russiangreat2dineDined on 10/24/2013Second visit and will be back soon. Was at their St Petersburg Tsar restaurant and this is just as outstanding, that's why we went in the first place...hoping for the same experience and they do. Amazing vodka's, amazing service (Valerie this time) and a great place for 2 birthday celebrations.Special Features:
- A Real GemGrubbyDined on 10/6/2013We spent a pleasant Sunday evening at Mari Vanna outdoors on the patio. This restaurant is a great find with really authentic Russian food. The desserts are to die for and the Vodka Martinis are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a mid week dinner withdvfeDined on 10/2/2013Just a mid week dinner with friends and It was just perfect . Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The placeUkrainianInLAVIPDined on 9/24/2013One of my favorite Russian places in LA I used to live in NYC and was dinning in Mari Vanna there So very excited they r open another restaurant in LA Great food impeccable service, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions and overpriced...butSmallVIPDined on 9/23/2013Small portions and overpriced...but the food was good.
- What a opleasant surprise!CulasaVIPDined on 9/16/2013Delicious food, beautiful restaurant, plus welcoming and efficient servers! Complimentary vodka tastes too! :)Special Features:
- Interesting and differentJ2CommentDined on 8/17/2013I love this place! So different that many other new fusion restaurants. It is a lively and friendly place with excellent food and fantastic atmosphere. Blinis are highly recommended. Definitely going back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service and FoodkooklaVIPDined on 8/8/2013My husband and I really enjoyed dining here. The food was very fresh and delicious; the service was top notch as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.