Mari Vanna DC
1141 Connecticut Avenue
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
RussianPrice: $31 to $50
Mari Vanna DC
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marivanna.ru/
- Phone: 2027837777x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday, Wednesday,Thursday, Sunday: 11:30 am - 12:00 am
Friday, Saturday: 11:30 am - 2:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Russian, Eastern European, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Azamat Zhanizakov
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Facilities: Occupying the third floor, Mari Vanna"s Parlor is an ideal space in which to host your next private dining event. Inviting, intricate, and intimate, the Parlor is complete with it's own bar, private access and seating for all your invitees.
- Private Party Contact: Tatiana Mis 2027837777x
- Entertainment: To enhance our guest experience there will be live entertainment as well as DJ driven ambiance throughout the week. Weekends and events hosted by Special Guests will be announced via our VIP mailing list.
A word from Mari Vanna DC
Nestled in the Heart of the Dupont Circle District of Washington, D.C., Mari Vanna Restaurant offers homestyle Russian delicacies admits a unique fine dining atmosphere.Continued
Swathed in a luxurious decor reminiscent of Victorian Era opulence, Mari Vanna marries Russian nobility with folk art and the simplicity of Soviet Union austerity.From traditional Borscht and blinis to inimitable caviar and champagne, Mari Vanna offers Russian cooking fit for those who pursue delectable cuisine and impeccable service.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mari Vanna DC reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (47)fit for foodies (46)romantic (42)good for groups (37)neighborhood gem (29)great for lunch (29)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (18)great for brunch (17)late-night find (17)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Oasis in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/17/2014Lovely staff who are very welcoming and accommodating, and who don't frown on diners who want to share dishes; pretty decor; yummy food that's different from the usual DC fare. My friends and I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperienceAlexandriaDinerDined on 9/13/2014Thanks to other diners' reviews, we ordered entrees that were quite good : chicken kiev, sea bass in parchment and pork polmeni. Our table was on the second floor next to the bannister, so we could see what was happening on the first floor as well. I must give kudos to all the staff, from the hosess to the wait staff, to the musicians. They were all so friendly, and happy and seemed to enjoy what they were doing. The noise level is high, but not so high that you couldn't hold a conversation.Special Features:
- Great Russian Rest.!!!NellieDined on 9/12/2014I took my Russian/Moldovan boyfriend for his bday to this place. He loved it, he felt like he was home! They even sing a Russian Happy Bday song for him. The food was delicious, although it was soooo expensive. And my bfriend thinks the food is a little bit too expensive.Special Features:
- Excellent all around.KathyinMDVIPDined on 9/9/2014Food atmosphere and service were great. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- Dinner at Mari VannagoinfishinDined on 9/9/2014Had a lovely evening at Mari Vanna. Everyone was extremely warm. I had mentioned in my booking that I'd like "the best" table because it was my husband's birthday and they delivered! Also provided a surprise mille feuille dessert gratis, along with a Russian version of happy birthday, complete with tambourines. Excellent smoked fish and herring appetizers. Beet salad was a bit bland. Outstanding cornish game hen -- Chicken Kiev was a bit dry. I'd previously had the Chilean sea bass which is outstanding and unusually seasoned. Also enjoyed the cherry varenikes. Tried the Russian beer -- it was excellent! Love the decor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Russian delightdcfoodieDined on 9/5/2014Wonderful ambience! I loved the knick-kacks mari vanna had and how it was designed. Cozy and cute place. Cocktails we fantastic and strong. The food was quite tasty and as authentic as it could get. Definitely recommend this place for a special occasion since it does run a bit expensive. A good place to grab drinks before or after dinner. Nevertheless, it was great. Looking forward to coming back for afternoon tea.Special Features:
- CosmoDinerDined on 8/23/2014Went for birthday dinner. They printed a nice birthday greeting but we were seated next to the kitchen and bathroom. The decor is very nice , the waiters are good, the food is good /authentic and portions are just right. Probably better for lunch but not for special occasion in the evening unless you have seating upstairs. The food is overpriced but quality is better than average. Would recommend the restaurant.
- Superb Russian FoodmxfoodDined on 8/15/2014Excellent food and great atmosphere. Restaurant also has "local weeks" when some items on the menu are from a particular locality.Special Features:
- Amazing varanickiLuvstravelVIPDined on 8/14/2014Just went for my first time and started with lunch. The borscht was very tasty though the flavor was not as rich as my baba used to make. The potato/mushroom varanicki are out of this world. Better than my family's homemade. The large portio (enough to share) come in a crockpot swimming in delicious butter sauce, onions. They are crave worthy. Can't wait to go back and try the sour cherry. Decor is very homey, only complaint was that the music was too loud. Great great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere v FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014The atmosphere of Mari Vanna is not what I was hoping for - I much prefer the atmosphere at The Russia House (also in DC) which is that of a true old-world Russian restaurant. Also, the later it got, the louder it got. However, the food was excellent! We went during "happy hour" and got an appetizer of blini and caviar for half price!Special Features:
- Friendly Russian serviceSnootyfoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2014My server, Anastasia, was the friendliest Russian I've lately met. Cocktails are great. However, the food was good but overpriced for fare that was on the menu- 3 dumplings for $15?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food great environmentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014As someone from a Russian decent, I can definitely say the restaurant is very authentic, the food is amazing. The service sometimes lakes, but the atmosphere and the food are so great that you don't think about it too muchSpecial Features:
- Authentic food an great servicegrek102VIPDined on 8/5/2014If you are looking for authentic Russian/Ukranian food - look no further. Drop everything and go now. You won't regret it. Great borsch, vareniki, and "herring in a fur coat". Finish up with a piece of honey cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and AuthenticmgdavisDined on 8/2/2014The décor at Mari Vanna is amazing-- you feel transported into a Russian/Eastern European home. My parents, originally from Poland, marveled at all the authentic details, from the crochet lampshades to the glassware. The food matched in authenticity. I loved the meaty borsht soup and the delicate stuffed cabbage. The infused lemonades were a nice non-alcoholic drink option, although a bucket of iced vodka shots feels more appropriate. We were treated to live accordion playing as well, and the entire vibe of the night was celebratory and warm. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Overpriced bad food, but funOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014We really wanted to like this place--the decor is fun, the live accordion music is energetic and the wait staff seems very Russian. But we spent $225 for three people and the food was not good. The beet salad was bland, the infused raspberry vodka tasted like cough syrup, the chicken was dry and the peas (served in multiple dishes) were canned. A few exceptions: the sea bass in parchment was excellent and the pear-infused vodka was good. Go for a drink--happy hour 5-7!
- dissappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014This restaurant made a big splash when it first opened but in a little over 1 1/2 years they have increased the price of brunch significantly...and there was no pelmeni in the buffet rotation (although it was listed on the menu as an add on which we were told was not available) The Pelmeni is awesome and why we chose to dine here. And my 3 year old nibbles off our plates yet they still charge $15 for her seat at the table. They used to have complimentary ice cream for the kids. The price is about double the last time I was there with my family so it was a lot less crowded which meant no waiting in line was nice. We love the food and ambience so we'll be back...just less frequently at $200 for 3 adults and 2 kids.Special Features:
- Traditional Russian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014The wine list is very good as are some of the house drinks. My wife started with a bowl of the Mushroom Rassolnik which she said was very good, while I started with Caviar, which was excellent. Then again if you're a Russian restaurant that messes up caviar, Putin should have you thrown in a Siberian prison. We followed that up with the Duck, Golubzi for my wife, and Chicken Kiev for our 8yr old daughter. The problem is that traditional Russian food is fairly bland, so, though the Duck was cooked just right, there isn't much else added to bring out the flavor of the duck. Of the dishes, our daughter probably had the best tasting dish. It may not be as traditional but The Russia House a few blocks north is the better Russian Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful discoveryLunchDined on 7/18/2014Have walked past Mari Vanna for months and my wife and I decided to go there for our anniversary dinner. Our dinner happened to fall on International Caviar Day. Delicious caviar was discounted and delightful. In addition to Russian items on the menu there was a special menu of item from Ukraine. We noticed they have a tea service in the afternoon. We will be back to sample other items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful and helpful waitress!!MamaPoohDined on 7/12/2014Having never eaten Russian before, my server was wonderful as she guided me through my choices! It's decor is beautiful as is the plating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Russian cusineRussianDined on 7/11/2014In addition to great food and service, the restaurant was promoting a run to support the Ukrainian people facing foreign aggression. I saw a lot of people of visiting, so the charity collected will be given to Ukrainians in need.Special Features:
- Wonderful MealsoupiemacVIPDined on 7/11/2014After booking on opentable.com, I called and asked for the window table for two. I'm really glad I did - it was much more intimate and quieter than the rest of the floor. The staff was most accommodating and very pleasant. The food was delicious! We shared the eggplant roll as a starter and split a bottle of wonderful Georgian wine. My husband's beef stroganoff was tender and well seasoned and my sea bass cooked in parchment paper was fantastic. I will certainly be back!Special Features:
- Amazingjack28Dined on 7/10/2014The food is always delicious. Infused vodkas are a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't rush to the RussianMisterTwisterDined on 7/9/2014Noisy to distraction, great sounding menu, food didn't match it: pirochky pastry was like donuts, "blini" were just crepes, soups "OK", accordionist overpoweringly loud, way too expensive for the food quality and overall experience - a huge disappointment.
- Consistently excellentDCdinerDined on 7/9/2014Having spent a brief time in Russia, I was delighted to find a restaurant in DC with authentic and delicious Russian food. I have tried most of what is on the menu and the food has been consistently wonderful. The decor is charming and the staff is friendly and competent. It is also quite a versatile place, suitable for everything from a business lunch to a romantic date. From what I hear, it is also a good late night spot as well as a fun place for Russian style afternoon tea. I have taken many professional colleagues, friends, and family members to Mari Vanna and every one has loved it.Special Features:
- EvgenDined on 7/8/2014Thank you very much! We had very nice experience! Food was good and it was like food in Russia!Special Features:
- AlyssaDined on 7/2/2014Speaking of service:we went on Saturday and it was pretty packed!I mean,if we hadn't made a reservation,we would have had to wait for a quite a while.Yet,that waitress (Olena) was total awesome sauce!She had drinks refilled before they went empty, put our orders in right away and brought them out in a timely manner. She was polite, sociable, didn't bother us too much or not enough.She had to have been busy with the amount of diners and such, but not once did we see her fumble. Now about the food.Even my picky eater ate every bite. EV-ER-Y bite.I ordered the Chilean sea bass.The portions were a fitting size.Enough to fill you up, but not so much that you feel guilty for how much food gets tossed away. Awesome place!Definitely coming back!Special Features:
- CuteRoseDined on 7/1/2014Love this place! Such a cute little place that reminds me kind of what your grandmother's place would look like. Comfy couch and the waiters and waitresses are very helpful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2014Mari Vanna has terrific food and wonderful ambiance. The stylish way the restaurant is decorated and the Russian staff make you feel like you are in Russia.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchirisDined on 6/22/2014The Sunday brunch buffet was excellent – great selection of dishes, tasting like the best, Russian-style homemade food! Very authentic and will definitely please your taste!Special Features:
- Best Russian FoodthfieldsDined on 6/21/2014This was the best Russian food I've ever had. I especially enjoyed the vodka (that's what I mean by "wine list"). It's very expensive, but worth it.Special Features:
- Outstanding Mari VannaPolishladyDined on 6/21/2014A group of 6 of us enjoyed a Saturday lunch for a birthday event. The service was wonderful - very attentive without interfering. We ordered several appetizers and soups: delicious Herring Under a Fur Coat, Olivier Salad (very good but filling), Soleniya (pickled veggies - tasty without being too tart),chicken soup (with good dill accent), and mushroom rassolnik (only negative - too salty).For entrees- Siberian Polmeni -(beef-pork delicate dumplings - very tasty) , Chicken Kotletki -yummy!, and Golubzi (stuffed cabbage with ground chicken - tasty but not your Polish Golumpki!). For dessert we had several items all of which were good but the outstanding dessert was the Honey Cake!!! Go and try this place you will not be disappointed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience with poor service57thplDined on 6/20/2014My friend really enjoyed her dish but she was too full to finish it. So she asked for a small take out box. But since there wasn't much left, the waitress told my friend to "just finish it." Beautiful restaurant, good but very heavy food, and service is very slow & odd.
- Great foodkesaphelaDined on 6/18/2014Great food, though I missed solyanka. Noisy, service erratic but trying hard--probably problems in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing decor , mediocre foodSpooningleadtoforkingVIPDined on 6/12/2014Excellent and attentive service ,The food just okay , but the ambiance was amazing just like an antique doll house , perfect for girls night out , brunch with your mom on special Occasion .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that interesting a placeGoldstelVIPDined on 6/11/2014Food is OK, some dishes are OK but nothing spectacular. Compared to other options in and around the neighborhood, I would skip this place unless you really love Russian food, or a Russian!
- Good but too expensiveElisavetDined on 6/3/2014Nice food but too expensive!!!!! 60$ and we had only one glass of wine and one appetizer!! Sorry guys but i wont be coming there regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Variety of ChoicesRakkyoDined on 6/3/2014This time I tried the pelmeni and they were great. So was the Olivier salad and the dessert, a really nice Napolean, Russian version. I didn't see the change purses, the cute ones, to turn in the final check. All the staff there are courteous but I missed the usual group of Ukrainian servers who I liked especially well.Special Features:
- The following 209 reviews are from the Mari Vanna DC reviews archive.
- SamOVIPDined on 5/20/2014Got a great table on the second floor balcony in which we could see the front door and the whole first floor. Definitely some language barriers in the service. The food was fine. I was glad I tried it and would encourage others to do so but probably wouldn't return.
- I will be backNikki79steve74Dined on 5/18/2014Every penny was worth the expensive dining experience. Servers/waiters/waitresses and hosts are friendly, patient, and helpful. I came to celebrate my mother's birthday with my husband and her husband and we were beyond impressed with the whole ambience. Oh and the accordionist is wonderful!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this placeBitaMVIPDined on 5/18/2014Beautiful restaurant. love the decor and ambiance. Delicious food and drinks.Most important awesome service.Special Features: