Mari Vanna DC
1141 Connecticut Avenue
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
RussianPrice: $31 to $50
Mari Vanna DC
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marivanna.ru/
- Phone: 2027837777x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday,Tuesday,Thursday, Sunday: 11:30 am - 11:00 pm
Wednesday, Friday, Saturday: 11:30 am - 2:30 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Russian, Eastern European, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Azamat Zhanizakov
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Facilities: Occupying the third floor, Mari Vanna"s Parlor is an ideal space in which to host your next private dining event. Inviting, intricate, and intimate, the Parlor is complete with it's own bar, private access and seating for all your invitees.
- Private Party Contact: Tatiana Mis 2027837777x
- Entertainment: To enhance our guest experience there will be live entertainment as well as DJ driven ambiance throughout the week. Weekends and events hosted by Special Guests will be announced via our VIP mailing list.
A word from Mari Vanna DC
Nestled in the Heart of the Dupont Circle District of Washington, D.C., Mari Vanna Restaurant offers homestyle Russian delicacies admits a unique fine dining atmosphere.Continued
Swathed in a luxurious decor reminiscent of Victorian Era opulence, Mari Vanna marries Russian nobility with folk art and the simplicity of Soviet Union austerity.From traditional Borscht and blinis to inimitable caviar and champagne, Mari Vanna offers Russian cooking fit for those who pursue delectable cuisine and impeccable service.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mari Vanna DC reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (51)fit for foodies (49)romantic (42)good for groups (39)neighborhood gem (37)great for lunch (26)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (17)late-night find (14)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (7)notable wine list (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- You must experience Mari Vanna DC!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Not a foodie, but like the idea of Infused Vodkas! Along with great food, the decor is creative, very different and almost like enjoying your meal inside a great piece of artwork. A MUST place to dine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014Very cute restaurant serving authentic Russian food. Although most of the staff seems adequate , we had the most unfriendly weatress who was ablsolutely useless with the food and drink menus. However, if you are familiar with this type of food and know a minimum about wine and cocktail well it shouldn't refrain you to try it out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal before the ImprovPencilThinMoustacheDined on 10/18/2014We selected Mari Vanna due to its proximity to the DC Improv. The restaurant lives up to its billing as unique, quaint, yet energetic. The food was great (Entrecote/Salmon), although a bit pricey. The accordion player was fantastic, the vodka drinks tasty, and the Georgian house wine. Wait service was outstanding. We would definitely go again!Special Features:
- ArnoldDined on 10/18/2014A very different, and very charming, place. We enjoyed a festive birthday celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try for Russian Food!FoodietravelsDined on 10/16/2014I dined here for a friend's birthday dinner. The ambiance is amazing! There's so much attention to detail in the decor. The restaurant has three floors (top floor turns into a dance floor on the weekend), there are a few tables with couches, etc. The service is pretty spot on. The food is so delicious. I have dined here three times and I always leave feeling foodie satisfied and wanting to go back. The restaurant offers fun weekly specials, including the endless caviar bar on Thursdays. Stop by and try Mari Vanna. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Interesting dinnernateVIPDined on 10/16/2014The food was great--but never again on a thursday--the "all you can eat of caviar" made the noise level way too high. On another night it would be fine---the wine I had was quite bad (shiraz)---they can do betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatWhittakerDined on 10/15/2014one of my fav places in dc. i come to this restaurant for my bdays and will continue to recommend it for my friends bdays as well. a really great spot for Russians too. makes u feel like home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Russian Food and AtmospherebajaDined on 10/11/2014We enjoyed the wide selection of Russian cuisine which was served promptly, and if delayed we were notified. All the pictures and antiques add to the glamour of being in Russia. The noise level is very high both downstairs and on balcony even without the accordionist playing - which was enjoyable. The welcoming staff and waiters were very friendly and accommodating. Very nice to have a written welcome on table - welcome - guests name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LP45VIPDined on 10/9/2014A nice respite in a neighborhood of expense account restaurants. We loved the smoked fish platter and the dumplings..stuffed cabbage was surprisingly light. Perhaps vodka in Russia is not served icy cold (??), but we were startled (and dismayed) that this vodka was served only vaguely chilled. The infusions were not as layered as other vodkas we've had...but, overall, a fun and delicious place that serves a cuisine not found nearly enough in the DC area. Very noisy when we were there, if that's a concern.Special Features:
- Fun placeMaddyDined on 10/3/2014We greatly enjoyed this place. The food was delicious - had no idea what to expect having never eaten Russian food before. The infused vodka shots were a big hit with my husband and son! Friendly service and lovely ambience. We will be coming here again next time we are in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks, ok foodfoodloverVIPDined on 9/30/2014The infused vodkas are great. I would go back just to try the drinks and for the overall ambience of the place. The food was a bit hit or miss. Some dishes were great, whereas others were bland and boring (not unusual for eastern european fare). Service was very slow. We could not get our servers attention no matter how hard we tried. Still, I would go back.Special Features:
- Food is good and staff are pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014Food was very good and the staff were attentive. Passed the restaurant the night before and it looked like a cute little restaurant that we wanted to try. My only issue was that it is pretty noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I hear Russian food is blandShophappyVIPDined on 9/25/2014I was looking forward to the little pork and beef-stuffed dumplings. When they arrived, they were served with sour cream instead of a sauce. My Polish friend's mother made terrific pierogies that she served with melted butter and vinegar; I thought these dumplings would have something snappy like that served with them, but no. I was disappointed in the dumplings because they were so very blah. Sour cream is not my idea of any way to jazz up dumplings. The beet salad was good, but I have had better pickled beets, and the citrus lemonade was terrific. The ambience is just wonderful. Lunch was expensive.Special Features:
- Great experience at Mari Vanna!NooshaDined on 9/20/2014The restaurant was very accommodating and made our dinner experience very easy and fun. The food was great, and we had a very efficient hostess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TeddysVIPDined on 9/19/2014One of my favorites in the city. Food was excellent once again. Service was quite slow to what I remember - had to ask how much longer for our meals (we were told it was the chicken that was taken long?!), and had to ask for the check as well. But will be back many times in the future.
- Oasis in the cityglassgirlDined on 9/17/2014Lovely staff who are very welcoming and accommodating, and who don't frown on diners who want to share dishes; pretty decor; yummy food that's different from the usual DC fare. My friends and I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new place that needs workFrom20005VIPDined on 9/17/2014This restaurant just opened and needs some time to get things right. But I don't know if it can be done with the current staff. The food is fine and somewhat eclectic. A little too much focus on the harissa sauce on the menu. I had the fluke which was still on the bone and done quite nicely. But the staff throughout the restaurant seem pretty amateur and not ready for prime time. The hostesses were confused, the bar tender was spilling scotch trying to use a jigger, and the wait staff were remarkably inattentive. Our plates sat on the table long after we finished each course. This is one of the few times that I left a 15% tip in the past 20 years. I know they will work out the kinks, but they need to start with staff training, now.Special Features:
- Precipitous drop in qualitycarmellaVIPDined on 9/15/2014Not only did food bore, but the waitress kept trying to remove plates--even when my companion's spoon was still in her hand, hovering over the soup bowl! Removing the dish of one party when others still eat = a faux pas, in any case. And we had to beg for water refills. Not the experience we had--so fun, so refreshing, so delicious--during the first months after the opening.Special Features:
- Good ExperienceAlexandriaDinerDined on 9/13/2014Thanks to other diners' reviews, we ordered entrees that were quite good : chicken kiev, sea bass in parchment and pork polmeni. Our table was on the second floor next to the bannister, so we could see what was happening on the first floor as well. I must give kudos to all the staff, from the hosess to the wait staff, to the musicians. They were all so friendly, and happy and seemed to enjoy what they were doing. The noise level is high, but not so high that you couldn't hold a conversation.Special Features:
- Great Russian Rest.!!!NellieDined on 9/12/2014I took my Russian/Moldovan boyfriend for his bday to this place. He loved it, he felt like he was home! They even sing a Russian Happy Bday song for him. The food was delicious, although it was soooo expensive. And my bfriend thinks the food is a little bit too expensive.Special Features:
- Excellent all around.KathyinMDVIPDined on 9/9/2014Food atmosphere and service were great. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- Dinner at Mari VannagoinfishinDined on 9/9/2014Had a lovely evening at Mari Vanna. Everyone was extremely warm. I had mentioned in my booking that I'd like "the best" table because it was my husband's birthday and they delivered! Also provided a surprise mille feuille dessert gratis, along with a Russian version of happy birthday, complete with tambourines. Excellent smoked fish and herring appetizers. Beet salad was a bit bland. Outstanding cornish game hen -- Chicken Kiev was a bit dry. I'd previously had the Chilean sea bass which is outstanding and unusually seasoned. Also enjoyed the cherry varenikes. Tried the Russian beer -- it was excellent! Love the decor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Russian delightdcfoodieDined on 9/5/2014Wonderful ambience! I loved the knick-kacks mari vanna had and how it was designed. Cozy and cute place. Cocktails we fantastic and strong. The food was quite tasty and as authentic as it could get. Definitely recommend this place for a special occasion since it does run a bit expensive. A good place to grab drinks before or after dinner. Nevertheless, it was great. Looking forward to coming back for afternoon tea.Special Features:
- CosmoDinerDined on 8/23/2014Went for birthday dinner. They printed a nice birthday greeting but we were seated next to the kitchen and bathroom. The decor is very nice , the waiters are good, the food is good /authentic and portions are just right. Probably better for lunch but not for special occasion in the evening unless you have seating upstairs. The food is overpriced but quality is better than average. Would recommend the restaurant.
- Superb Russian FoodmxfoodDined on 8/15/2014Excellent food and great atmosphere. Restaurant also has "local weeks" when some items on the menu are from a particular locality.Special Features:
- Amazing varanickiLuvstravelVIPDined on 8/14/2014Just went for my first time and started with lunch. The borscht was very tasty though the flavor was not as rich as my baba used to make. The potato/mushroom varanicki are out of this world. Better than my family's homemade. The large portio (enough to share) come in a crockpot swimming in delicious butter sauce, onions. They are crave worthy. Can't wait to go back and try the sour cherry. Decor is very homey, only complaint was that the music was too loud. Great great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere v FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014The atmosphere of Mari Vanna is not what I was hoping for - I much prefer the atmosphere at The Russia House (also in DC) which is that of a true old-world Russian restaurant. Also, the later it got, the louder it got. However, the food was excellent! We went during "happy hour" and got an appetizer of blini and caviar for half price!Special Features:
- Friendly Russian serviceSnootyfoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2014My server, Anastasia, was the friendliest Russian I've lately met. Cocktails are great. However, the food was good but overpriced for fare that was on the menu- 3 dumplings for $15?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food great environmentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014As someone from a Russian decent, I can definitely say the restaurant is very authentic, the food is amazing. The service sometimes lakes, but the atmosphere and the food are so great that you don't think about it too muchSpecial Features:
- Authentic food an great servicegrek102VIPDined on 8/5/2014If you are looking for authentic Russian/Ukranian food - look no further. Drop everything and go now. You won't regret it. Great borsch, vareniki, and "herring in a fur coat". Finish up with a piece of honey cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and AuthenticmgdavisDined on 8/2/2014The décor at Mari Vanna is amazing-- you feel transported into a Russian/Eastern European home. My parents, originally from Poland, marveled at all the authentic details, from the crochet lampshades to the glassware. The food matched in authenticity. I loved the meaty borsht soup and the delicate stuffed cabbage. The infused lemonades were a nice non-alcoholic drink option, although a bucket of iced vodka shots feels more appropriate. We were treated to live accordion playing as well, and the entire vibe of the night was celebratory and warm. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Overpriced bad food, but funOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014We really wanted to like this place--the decor is fun, the live accordion music is energetic and the wait staff seems very Russian. But we spent $225 for three people and the food was not good. The beet salad was bland, the infused raspberry vodka tasted like cough syrup, the chicken was dry and the peas (served in multiple dishes) were canned. A few exceptions: the sea bass in parchment was excellent and the pear-infused vodka was good. Go for a drink--happy hour 5-7!
- dissappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014This restaurant made a big splash when it first opened but in a little over 1 1/2 years they have increased the price of brunch significantly...and there was no pelmeni in the buffet rotation (although it was listed on the menu as an add on which we were told was not available) The Pelmeni is awesome and why we chose to dine here. And my 3 year old nibbles off our plates yet they still charge $15 for her seat at the table. They used to have complimentary ice cream for the kids. The price is about double the last time I was there with my family so it was a lot less crowded which meant no waiting in line was nice. We love the food and ambience so we'll be back...just less frequently at $200 for 3 adults and 2 kids.Special Features:
- Traditional Russian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014The wine list is very good as are some of the house drinks. My wife started with a bowl of the Mushroom Rassolnik which she said was very good, while I started with Caviar, which was excellent. Then again if you're a Russian restaurant that messes up caviar, Putin should have you thrown in a Siberian prison. We followed that up with the Duck, Golubzi for my wife, and Chicken Kiev for our 8yr old daughter. The problem is that traditional Russian food is fairly bland, so, though the Duck was cooked just right, there isn't much else added to bring out the flavor of the duck. Of the dishes, our daughter probably had the best tasting dish. It may not be as traditional but The Russia House a few blocks north is the better Russian Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful discoveryLunchDined on 7/18/2014Have walked past Mari Vanna for months and my wife and I decided to go there for our anniversary dinner. Our dinner happened to fall on International Caviar Day. Delicious caviar was discounted and delightful. In addition to Russian items on the menu there was a special menu of item from Ukraine. We noticed they have a tea service in the afternoon. We will be back to sample other items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful and helpful waitress!!MamaPoohDined on 7/12/2014Having never eaten Russian before, my server was wonderful as she guided me through my choices! It's decor is beautiful as is the plating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Russian cusineRussianDined on 7/11/2014In addition to great food and service, the restaurant was promoting a run to support the Ukrainian people facing foreign aggression. I saw a lot of people of visiting, so the charity collected will be given to Ukrainians in need.Special Features:
- Wonderful MealsoupiemacVIPDined on 7/11/2014After booking on opentable.com, I called and asked for the window table for two. I'm really glad I did - it was much more intimate and quieter than the rest of the floor. The staff was most accommodating and very pleasant. The food was delicious! We shared the eggplant roll as a starter and split a bottle of wonderful Georgian wine. My husband's beef stroganoff was tender and well seasoned and my sea bass cooked in parchment paper was fantastic. I will certainly be back!Special Features:
- Amazingjack28Dined on 7/10/2014The food is always delicious. Infused vodkas are a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't rush to the RussianMisterTwisterDined on 7/9/2014Noisy to distraction, great sounding menu, food didn't match it: pirochky pastry was like donuts, "blini" were just crepes, soups "OK", accordionist overpoweringly loud, way too expensive for the food quality and overall experience - a huge disappointment.