Mari Vanna DC
1141 Connecticut Avenue
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
RussianPrice: $31 to $50
Mari Vanna DC
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marivanna.ru/
- Phone: 2027837777x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday, Wednesday,Thursday, Sunday: 11:30 am - 12:00 am
Friday, Saturday: 11:30 am - 2:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Russian, Eastern European, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Azamat Zhanizakov
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Facilities: Occupying the third floor, Mari Vanna"s Parlor is an ideal space in which to host your next private dining event. Inviting, intricate, and intimate, the Parlor is complete with it's own bar, private access and seating for all your invitees.
- Private Party Contact: Tatiana Mis 2027837777x
- Entertainment: To enhance our guest experience there will be live entertainment as well as DJ driven ambiance throughout the week. Weekends and events hosted by Special Guests will be announced via our VIP mailing list.
A word from Mari Vanna DC
Nestled in the Heart of the Dupont Circle District of Washington, D.C., Mari Vanna Restaurant offers homestyle Russian delicacies admits a unique fine dining atmosphere.Continued
Swathed in a luxurious decor reminiscent of Victorian Era opulence, Mari Vanna marries Russian nobility with folk art and the simplicity of Soviet Union austerity.From traditional Borscht and blinis to inimitable caviar and champagne, Mari Vanna offers Russian cooking fit for those who pursue delectable cuisine and impeccable service.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
Mari Vanna DC - Best Restaurants in Dupont Circle ›
Mari Vanna DC reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (48)romantic (47)fit for foodies (45)good for groups (34)neighborhood gem (31)great for lunch (30)great for brunch (21)hot spot (20)late-night find (18)vibrant bar scene (17)kid-friendly (9)notable wine list (8)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- CosmoDinerDined on 8/23/2014Went for birthday dinner. They printed a nice birthday greeting but we were seated next to the kitchen and bathroom. The decor is very nice , the waiters are good, the food is good /authentic and portions are just right. Probably better for lunch but not for special occasion in the evening unless you have seating upstairs. The food is overpriced but quality is better than average. Would recommend the restaurant.
- Amazing varanickiLuvstravelVIPDined on 8/14/2014Just went for my first time and started with lunch. The borscht was very tasty though the flavor was not as rich as my baba used to make. The potato/mushroom varanicki are out of this world. Better than my family's homemade. The large portio (enough to share) come in a crockpot swimming in delicious butter sauce, onions. They are crave worthy. Can't wait to go back and try the sour cherry. Decor is very homey, only complaint was that the music was too loud. Great great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere v FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014The atmosphere of Mari Vanna is not what I was hoping for - I much prefer the atmosphere at The Russia House (also in DC) which is that of a true old-world Russian restaurant. Also, the later it got, the louder it got. However, the food was excellent! We went during "happy hour" and got an appetizer of blini and caviar for half price!Special Features:
- Friendly Russian serviceSnootyfoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2014My server, Anastasia, was the friendliest Russian I've lately met. Cocktails are great. However, the food was good but overpriced for fare that was on the menu- 3 dumplings for $15?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food great environmentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014As someone from a Russian decent, I can definitely say the restaurant is very authentic, the food is amazing. The service sometimes lakes, but the atmosphere and the food are so great that you don't think about it too muchSpecial Features:
- Authentic food an great servicegrek102Dined on 8/5/2014If you are looking for authentic Russian/Ukranian food - look no further. Drop everything and go now. You won't regret it. Great borsch, vareniki, and "herring in a fur coat". Finish up with a piece of honey cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and AuthenticmgdavisDined on 8/2/2014The décor at Mari Vanna is amazing-- you feel transported into a Russian/Eastern European home. My parents, originally from Poland, marveled at all the authentic details, from the crochet lampshades to the glassware. The food matched in authenticity. I loved the meaty borsht soup and the delicate stuffed cabbage. The infused lemonades were a nice non-alcoholic drink option, although a bucket of iced vodka shots feels more appropriate. We were treated to live accordion playing as well, and the entire vibe of the night was celebratory and warm. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Overpriced bad food, but funOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014We really wanted to like this place--the decor is fun, the live accordion music is energetic and the wait staff seems very Russian. But we spent $225 for three people and the food was not good. The beet salad was bland, the infused raspberry vodka tasted like cough syrup, the chicken was dry and the peas (served in multiple dishes) were canned. A few exceptions: the sea bass in parchment was excellent and the pear-infused vodka was good. Go for a drink--happy hour 5-7!
- dissappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014This restaurant made a big splash when it first opened but in a little over 1 1/2 years they have increased the price of brunch significantly...and there was no pelmeni in the buffet rotation (although it was listed on the menu as an add on which we were told was not available) The Pelmeni is awesome and why we chose to dine here. And my 3 year old nibbles off our plates yet they still charge $15 for her seat at the table. They used to have complimentary ice cream for the kids. The price is about double the last time I was there with my family so it was a lot less crowded which meant no waiting in line was nice. We love the food and ambience so we'll be back...just less frequently at $200 for 3 adults and 2 kids.Special Features:
- Traditional Russian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014The wine list is very good as are some of the house drinks. My wife started with a bowl of the Mushroom Rassolnik which she said was very good, while I started with Caviar, which was excellent. Then again if you're a Russian restaurant that messes up caviar, Putin should have you thrown in a Siberian prison. We followed that up with the Duck, Golubzi for my wife, and Chicken Kiev for our 8yr old daughter. The problem is that traditional Russian food is fairly bland, so, though the Duck was cooked just right, there isn't much else added to bring out the flavor of the duck. Of the dishes, our daughter probably had the best tasting dish. It may not be as traditional but The Russia House a few blocks north is the better Russian Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful discoveryLunchDined on 7/18/2014Have walked past Mari Vanna for months and my wife and I decided to go there for our anniversary dinner. Our dinner happened to fall on International Caviar Day. Delicious caviar was discounted and delightful. In addition to Russian items on the menu there was a special menu of item from Ukraine. We noticed they have a tea service in the afternoon. We will be back to sample other items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful and helpful waitress!!MamaPoohDined on 7/12/2014Having never eaten Russian before, my server was wonderful as she guided me through my choices! It's decor is beautiful as is the plating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Russian cusineRussianDined on 7/11/2014In addition to great food and service, the restaurant was promoting a run to support the Ukrainian people facing foreign aggression. I saw a lot of people of visiting, so the charity collected will be given to Ukrainians in need.Special Features:
- Wonderful MealsoupiemacVIPDined on 7/11/2014After booking on opentable.com, I called and asked for the window table for two. I'm really glad I did - it was much more intimate and quieter than the rest of the floor. The staff was most accommodating and very pleasant. The food was delicious! We shared the eggplant roll as a starter and split a bottle of wonderful Georgian wine. My husband's beef stroganoff was tender and well seasoned and my sea bass cooked in parchment paper was fantastic. I will certainly be back!Special Features:
- Amazingjack28Dined on 7/10/2014The food is always delicious. Infused vodkas are a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't rush to the RussianMisterTwisterDined on 7/9/2014Noisy to distraction, great sounding menu, food didn't match it: pirochky pastry was like donuts, "blini" were just crepes, soups "OK", accordionist overpoweringly loud, way too expensive for the food quality and overall experience - a huge disappointment.
- Consistently excellentDCdinerDined on 7/9/2014Having spent a brief time in Russia, I was delighted to find a restaurant in DC with authentic and delicious Russian food. I have tried most of what is on the menu and the food has been consistently wonderful. The decor is charming and the staff is friendly and competent. It is also quite a versatile place, suitable for everything from a business lunch to a romantic date. From what I hear, it is also a good late night spot as well as a fun place for Russian style afternoon tea. I have taken many professional colleagues, friends, and family members to Mari Vanna and every one has loved it.Special Features:
- EvgenDined on 7/8/2014Thank you very much! We had very nice experience! Food was good and it was like food in Russia!Special Features:
- AlyssaDined on 7/2/2014Speaking of service:we went on Saturday and it was pretty packed!I mean,if we hadn't made a reservation,we would have had to wait for a quite a while.Yet,that waitress (Olena) was total awesome sauce!She had drinks refilled before they went empty, put our orders in right away and brought them out in a timely manner. She was polite, sociable, didn't bother us too much or not enough.She had to have been busy with the amount of diners and such, but not once did we see her fumble. Now about the food.Even my picky eater ate every bite. EV-ER-Y bite.I ordered the Chilean sea bass.The portions were a fitting size.Enough to fill you up, but not so much that you feel guilty for how much food gets tossed away. Awesome place!Definitely coming back!Special Features:
- CuteRoseDined on 7/1/2014Love this place! Such a cute little place that reminds me kind of what your grandmother's place would look like. Comfy couch and the waiters and waitresses are very helpful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2014Mari Vanna has terrific food and wonderful ambiance. The stylish way the restaurant is decorated and the Russian staff make you feel like you are in Russia.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchirisDined on 6/22/2014The Sunday brunch buffet was excellent – great selection of dishes, tasting like the best, Russian-style homemade food! Very authentic and will definitely please your taste!Special Features:
- Best Russian FoodthfieldsDined on 6/21/2014This was the best Russian food I've ever had. I especially enjoyed the vodka (that's what I mean by "wine list"). It's very expensive, but worth it.Special Features:
- Outstanding Mari VannaPolishladyDined on 6/21/2014A group of 6 of us enjoyed a Saturday lunch for a birthday event. The service was wonderful - very attentive without interfering. We ordered several appetizers and soups: delicious Herring Under a Fur Coat, Olivier Salad (very good but filling), Soleniya (pickled veggies - tasty without being too tart),chicken soup (with good dill accent), and mushroom rassolnik (only negative - too salty).For entrees- Siberian Polmeni -(beef-pork delicate dumplings - very tasty) , Chicken Kotletki -yummy!, and Golubzi (stuffed cabbage with ground chicken - tasty but not your Polish Golumpki!). For dessert we had several items all of which were good but the outstanding dessert was the Honey Cake!!! Go and try this place you will not be disappointed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience with poor service57thplDined on 6/20/2014My friend really enjoyed her dish but she was too full to finish it. So she asked for a small take out box. But since there wasn't much left, the waitress told my friend to "just finish it." Beautiful restaurant, good but very heavy food, and service is very slow & odd.
- Great foodkesaphelaDined on 6/18/2014Great food, though I missed solyanka. Noisy, service erratic but trying hard--probably problems in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing decor , mediocre foodSpooningleadtoforkingVIPDined on 6/12/2014Excellent and attentive service ,The food just okay , but the ambiance was amazing just like an antique doll house , perfect for girls night out , brunch with your mom on special Occasion .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that interesting a placeGoldstelVIPDined on 6/11/2014Food is OK, some dishes are OK but nothing spectacular. Compared to other options in and around the neighborhood, I would skip this place unless you really love Russian food, or a Russian!
- Good but too expensiveElisavetDined on 6/3/2014Nice food but too expensive!!!!! 60$ and we had only one glass of wine and one appetizer!! Sorry guys but i wont be coming there regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Variety of ChoicesRakkyoDined on 6/3/2014This time I tried the pelmeni and they were great. So was the Olivier salad and the dessert, a really nice Napolean, Russian version. I didn't see the change purses, the cute ones, to turn in the final check. All the staff there are courteous but I missed the usual group of Ukrainian servers who I liked especially well.Special Features:
- SamOVIPDined on 5/20/2014Got a great table on the second floor balcony in which we could see the front door and the whole first floor. Definitely some language barriers in the service. The food was fine. I was glad I tried it and would encourage others to do so but probably wouldn't return.
- I will be backNikki79steve74Dined on 5/18/2014Every penny was worth the expensive dining experience. Servers/waiters/waitresses and hosts are friendly, patient, and helpful. I came to celebrate my mother's birthday with my husband and her husband and we were beyond impressed with the whole ambience. Oh and the accordionist is wonderful!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this placeBitaMVIPDined on 5/18/2014Beautiful restaurant. love the decor and ambiance. Delicious food and drinks.Most important awesome service.Special Features:
- Amazing authentic RussianInternatldinerDined on 5/16/2014Lived in Russia for three months, and mari vanna is the most authentic I've had since coming back to America! Waiters and waitresses all speak Russian, interesting old world meets trendy ambience, and AMAZING pelmeni and blini!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Russian FoodYUMMYTUMMYVIPDined on 5/16/2014Having spend time in Russia, much of the food here is exactly what you would eat in that country. It is not American style Russian cuisine. Overall the food is very good, and the service is efficient and friendly. Portion size of many dishes is small and not a particularly good value.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and authenticFoodfan101Dined on 5/11/2014Authentic Russian cuisine made with fresh ingredients. Simply a treat from the bread to the infused vodkas to the entrees, and of course, the desert. Chicken Kiev and pelmeni were outstanding. The birds milk cake was a delight. Decorated in a light, white and floral decor reminiscent of Russian country shabby chic, it creates a romantic vibe, yet also a cosy comfortable place for families with kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip brunch, go for dinnernatooooDined on 5/11/2014Went for brunch on Mother's Day. The brunch food isn't anything special. Skip everything and go straight for the blinis. They're so good. I've been for dinner and would say it's a much better value then. Overall though, the restaurant is beautiful, the accordion player was lovely, and brunch is reasonably priced as far as bottomless brunches in DC go.Special Features:
- Caviar and Champagne pleaseFreespeechDined on 5/10/2014We went to this place to have caviar and champagne, and Mari delivers!! The Bilinis were awesome that came with the caviar. We did split the Beef Stragonoaf which was surprising full of flavor. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tastyJasmineDined on 5/10/2014Mari Vanna has a wide selection of food. I ordered the mushroom varenikis and they were great. Cocktails are phenomenal. I'm not very familiar with Russian food, but it seemed authentic and the staff was Russian.Special Features:
- Great foodUddinDined on 5/9/2014The food was great, the service was great but you had to wait for a long time before being served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.