Mari Luna Bistro
1225 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Mari Luna Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mariluna.com/bistro/
- Phone: 4106378013
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday: 11:00am - 12:00am, Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining
A word from Mari Luna Bistro
The newest of the Mari Luna family of restaurants, the Bistro brings authentic Mexican food to the cityʼs cultural district. Highlights of the menu include seven styles of guacamole, each served in a traditional stone mortar called a molcajete, extensive taco offerings made with fresh corn tortillas, and house made white and red sangria. The basement Luna Lounge features salsa dance on Friday and Saturday nights.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mari Luna Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
- Last Night for Mari Luna BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/14/2014We found out on our way out the door that the Bistro was closing -- that night -- for good. Sorry to see it go.I would recommend this to a friend.
- guacamole gold minesuhanduDined on 12/21/2013The guacamole at this place is beyond unique and delicious! Worth a trip just for that. Don't expect anything else too fancy or service too spectacular.Special Features:
- You should walk a little fartherfoodieVIPDined on 12/21/2013The only good thing I can say about this restaurant is it's proximity to the theater.
- Fast Service = Poor QualityFancifulFoodieDined on 12/14/2013Only reason this place is still in business is b/c it's located next to Meyerhoff and they'll get you in and out in time for your show. But for that speed you sacrifice service, taste, and quality. Food is overpriced - $9 for a "mixed green" salad of yellow iceberg, huge chuncks of radish, and it was missing all the other toppings described in menu. The stuffed poblano was smothered in a gummy, bland bechamel sauce. The mixed fajitas were also bland and it was obvious none of the meat was fresh and shrimps were bitter and rubbery. Waiter was inattentive and scarce beyond the obligatory taking our order, plopping out our food and check in time to get us out the door. Never checked on us, refilled water (even after we asked), or anything.
- Great place to dine beforePen2PaperDined on 12/13/2013Great place to dine before the symphony. The food is very good. The menu is expansive. The guacamole was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre food and TERRIBLE ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/13/2013We had a 5:30 Reservation and I also noted it was a special night (celebrating our anniversary) It took 20 minutes to get our drinks AFTER ordering them even thou the restaurant was still slow at this point. No one checked on us. Our server ignored us and we waited 20 minutes with our menu to place an order. We we're done with our chips by the time the Guac came out and waited another 15 minutes for new chips to be brought. She forgot my wives' salad. We asked her for it twice and she brought boxed to go at the end of the meal and tried to make a joke- we didn't find it so funny. Food wasn't bad but was nothing special all the frustration was NOT worth it. We left 18% because I will not tip less but seriously PASS on this place.
- Great for BSO showsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/13/2013We were going to see the BSO at the Meyerhoff in Baltimore and wanted to get dinner before hand. What a great place! Mari Luna's is located directly across from the Meyerhoff and the food was great. It was wonderful place to eat and then just walk across the street to the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was terribleLrock30Dined on 12/12/2013Service was horrendous. Took 10 minutes for us to be seated; 10-12 minutes before a server approached our table; 20 minutes to receive our drinks and 35 minutes to get our food. Food was good, but service was so bad that I doubt I will ever return.
- Great location, service was slowSNCfanDined on 12/12/2013Definitely convenient for dining before a show at the Meyerhoff. Our drinks, a margarita and caipirinha, were wonderful, and the complimentary chips and salsa were a great start, but it went downhill from there. The traditional guacamole, although freshly made, was bland. Our main dishes were fine but nothing memorable. Although our server was friendly and knowledgeable, we felt she was too busy to be attentive. We waited numerous times for chip refills (we were first served our guacamole with no chips), to place our orders, and to get our check. Maybe the restaurant was having an off night. I would consider going back to dinner before another show, but I wouldn't make a special just for dinner.
- Its good food for dinner beforejennDined on 12/7/2013Its good food for dinner before a show at the bso or lyric opera house. The service is really slow. The servers seemed understaffes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDiner1Dined on 12/7/2013If you're going to the symphony or the Lyric, Mari Luna is a convenient location to get a quick bite or a full meal before or after the event. Table service was good, food was delivered very quickly, and it seemed to be expected that you would linger until ready to go to the show. So, what's the problem? The Food! Shrimp in shish-ka-bob was overcooked and did not arrive sizzling from a grill as expected. My husband ordered a rotisserie chicken dish which he said tasted good, but it did not taste freshly cooked and looked like a rolled, processed chicken rather than half of a rotisserie chicken on the bone--visually, not appealing. Great location, but unfortunately, we won't be returning.
- Always GoodSallyAnnVIPDined on 12/6/2013We eat here often, mostly before the symphony, and always enjoy it. Wonderful guacamole and Marguerites. Other food good also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/6/2013This is way above your usual Mexican restaurant. The guacamole is to die for and the soups and appetizers are divine. I never make it to the main course! Excellent margaritas as well.Special Features:
- Very good serviceMexFoodLoverDined on 12/6/2013We had a positive dining experienxe on an evening when we were attending a show. The good was good, but the service (Rebecca) was even better. She was very efficient and helpful with our little ones, which I really appreciated..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/5/2013Very relaxed environment. The Mussels Gauchos is my favorite. It's tomato based sauce with chorizo and garlic toast is really amazing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Again!jab5Dined on 11/30/2013The service is awful!!!! We arrived at 6:22, ordered at 6:30, and food came at 7:30 (a caesar salad and fajita). We thought we would have a leisurely dinner, no. We had to eat our food in 20 minutes to ensure we made it to the BSO by 8 p.m. This is not the first time we have eaten here and experienced the same problem!!!!!! Totally unacceptable.
- I've eaten at other Mari LunaRayCVIPDined on 11/29/2013I've eaten at other Mari Luna restaurants before and have never been disappointed with the food. The atmosphere is nice and for the most part the service was good. I highly recommend this any of the Mari Luna restaurants in Baltimore.Special Features:
- Food was bland. Only go for guacOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/29/2013Been there for guac and drinks either in the bar or outside and that's nice. This was the first time actually having dinner. We had a Peruvian chicken dish and steak and chicken dish. The sauces were interesting but the meat wasn't good it didn't taste interesting at all. Service was slow and poor but this was also because it was right befor the BSO show across the street. Will only go back for guacamole and drinks.
- Pre-Concert SpotCrisDined on 11/29/2013We are season ticket holders of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (BSO). Our ritual is to have dinner at Mari Luna prior to attending the performance. The Mari Luna Restaurant is directly across the street from the symphony hall, therefore, very convenient. The food at Mari Luna is good and the combination of a good dinner and a wonderful performance by the BSO make for a terrific evening.Special Features:
- Pre-concert dinnerrolandparkneighborVIPDined on 11/29/2013The perfect place for dinner before a concert -- actually the only place. But the service is consistently friendly and efficient, and the food is good. Because we end up eating here a lot, it would be great if there were some specials to vary the menu. That said, the skirt steak is outstanding, and the spicy shrimp were very good.
- Convenient to MeyerhoffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2013Its a good spot for pre concert dinner. The menu -(which acommodated easily to our party's various food needs.)..and staff seem attuned (forgive me) to the timing needs of concert goers, but it does make for a busy & noisy scene. The servers were pleasant & trying very hard & eager to please but it seemed (not that any of them said anything) they were short staffed. (6 mo ago I was there pre concert and did not have the same impression.of reduced staff). When an unfortunate incidence of sudden explosive glass breakage, they did everything they could to immediately remedy the situation & maintain a good dining experience. I give them 5 stars for how they handled that situation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Night at the OperachiefhumqDined on 11/15/2013Excellent choice if you are in the neighborhood for the symphony or the opera. Service on all occasions has been excellent and the Hispanic food (although I am not very familiar with it) has always been very tasty and well preparedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, great impression!ElleDined on 11/12/2013I came for the first time with three other gals prior to a show at The Lyric. Their happy hour was great, and it was a perfect spot for a group to get together. Energetic enough that you could laugh and talk at a normal volume, but mellow enough that the restaurant wasn't packed and loud. Our waitress was a gem - she made recommendations and even made sure we were finished eating and settled with the bill with plenty of time for us to get to our show on time. We all got some form of a crispy taco salad, which were huge and delicious. Though we didn't get any, they have massive house-made guacamole bowls that looked great. I'll definitely be back to try more menu items and hit up happy hour!Special Features:
- Reliable Mexican FoodMDGeorgeVIPDined on 11/10/2013This is a kitchen that delivers reliable, non-fancy, Mexican food. We found the service pleasant and attentive, but not fancy or upscale. The food is on the mild side with respect to spiciness, although our wait person was quite willing to provide us with more cilantro, pepper, or lemon juice for our guacamole. One of us had salmon, and the cut and preparation was equal to any we have had anywhere, and we have dined at some very up-scale places in our long lives. This is an unpretentious place where you can dine comfortably,feel at home and get a solid meal.Special Features:
- Unique Menu!ironbeastDined on 11/9/2013We have come here several times prior to concerts at the Meyerhoff (right across the street). Although they get quite busy, if you let them know your going to the concert they always get you out on time. The menu has some unique fare, and the guacamole is a must! Nice wine list, friendly staff. All in all an upbeat experience. Make a reservation on concert nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find for Music Venue Diningajmr2Dined on 11/6/2013My wife and I went to a concert on Wednesday evening at the Lyric and met our friends at the Mari Luna Bistro. Being from the DC area we had no idea where to get something to eat beforehand but our friends found the restaurant online. I looked at their web site, and loving Mexican food, decided to give it a try. We were very pleasantly surprised by the friendly atmoshpere, good service and very good food, reasonably priced. It also happens to be a block from the parking garage and the Lyric Theater. It was a great night out in Baltimore and we'll definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The waiters and staff althoughNettieDined on 11/1/2013The waiters and staff although pleasant paid no attention to what my companion and I were saying about our food preferences. We ordered appetizers and a meal but were never asked about drinks nor how we were enjoying the food.
- A reliable favoriteregularcustomerVIPDined on 10/26/2013We enjoy Mari Luna before heading to the symphony. Get there early so you have plenty of time - the kitchen can be slow on busy nights.Special Features:
- SymphonyCrisDined on 10/25/2013We eat at Mari Luna once-a-month for the past two years during the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra concert season. All times, except for the visit in September, have been good experiences. The September dining experience was not good: food, service, etc. I do not know what changed at the restaurant. Our most recent visit was good. We would certainly try other restaurants in the area around the symphony hall but, there are none that offer the convenience of Mari Luna.Special Features:
- Great Location for Symphony . . .Pen2PaperDined on 10/25/2013This restaurant is the perfect place for dining before the symphony. The food was very good, the guacamole was fresh and would have been enough for dinner with a salad. The food arrived quickly, but we did not feel rushed. We will definitely return . . .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's going on here?2musicloversVIPDined on 10/20/2013In past years, we have often had supper at Mari Luna after the symphony on a Sunday afternoon. It has always been delicious food, efficient service, and a nice atmosphere. But this time, the food wasn't as good - we never got the 3 different salsas that used to come with the guacamole appetizer. We ordered drinks, which finally arrived after we had finished our soups and eaten all the guacamole. We asked for more chips and finally got them when we had nothing left to put on them. The server was pleasant and apologized for the long delay getting our drinks. But it was not the pleasant evening we were expecting.
- SporadicCrostiniDined on 10/19/2013When we arrived at 7 for our reservation for 2, I gave the gentleman our name and he immediately said you don t have a reservation! He was rude and abrupt and finally the hostess came and saw our name and sat us down. After waiting at the table for close to 10 minutes I finally got up to see where our waiter or waitress was and found out ,the person who said we did not have reservations was our waiter! He completely ignored us and finally Sierra was our new waitress and things improved 100 %. The best ceviche I ever had and the guacamole was heaven . Chicken on the kebobs was too salty ,processed and rubbery but the grilled vegetables were great . Sangria too sweet with an artificial fruit flavor .Overall good with excellent cevicheSpecial Features:
- Delicious Food, but slow serviceMurrayDined on 10/19/2013The Guacamole was great. Many versions to select from. We had the Yucatan, which had bacon bits and was very good. We were there before a show, but we had time. The server was very nice, but made many apologies for the delay in waiting for our food. The chips and salsa were very good and kept us occupied while we waited. If you have time to wait, the food was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy, but niceJorgeDined on 10/18/2013Great location for the Arts scene. Food is good. Service nice, but slow. Made a reservation for two, but only got a high top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better and Worse Than Last TimeConcertgoerDined on 10/18/2013Service was excellent this time. We tried one of the two guacamole dishes we had not tried before, and we didn't care for it as much as the other five or so we had enjoyed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- understaffed and poor quality foodxinaruthVIPDined on 10/17/2013Our poor server did all she could to keep up with the influx of pre-show diners the night we were there, but there's only so much she could do and the service suffered for everyone. I realize it's tough to staff a restaurant for the 1-2 hours that they are really busy before a show at the Meyerhoff (I suspect it's dead the rest of the time), but the experience was so disappointing that I doubt we'd return. Mari Luna Latin Grille at 1010 Reisterstown Rd is head and shoulders above this place - SO MUCH BETTER and the popovers alone make it worth a trek out to the county. It is a shame they can't maintain those standards in the food prepared here.
- Food excellent. Service veryJerryDined on 10/17/2013Food excellent. Service very good considering one bartender and a very slow kitchen with a full house before a show across the street. Several neighbors did not get their food and had to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-show spotipuppyVIPDined on 10/15/2013Located right across the street from the Meyerhoff Symphony Hall, and in the same neighborhood as several other concert halls and theaters, this is an obvious choice for dinner before a show. We arrived a bit after 6 and it was fairly empty, but soon filled with pre-how diners (as were we). Our server was very attentive and friendly, but her responsiveness lagged as the place got crowded. The food was OK - not spectacular, but not innovative. Cambrones Diabalo were spicy as advertised and good; the salad was disappointing - mixed greens were mainly shredded iceberg lettuce and little else.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Mexican foodInwoodRozDined on 10/15/2013I'm a repeat diner at Mari Luna for several reasons… close to events, delicious food, prompt service and refreshing sangria. I had an appetizer of Mayan Guacamole and the steak salad. Another diner remarked that the guac looked so interesting and I loved the flavors! The steak was (most happily) medium rare, the fruit fresh and the baby spinach crisp. My red sangria was not too sweet and very refreshing. My spouse had the same salad with well-done salmon and he was very pleased. We booked another date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient for after BSO mealALCPDined on 10/11/2013I went for a meal after visiting the BSO. It is convenient -- just across so I could go without moving my car from the garage and the food was good mexican cuisine in a nice settiing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.