5 West 8th St.
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.marltonhotel.com/#dining
- Phone: (212) 321-0111
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast 7am – 12pm (Monday - Friday)
Lunch 12pm – 6pm (Monday - Friday)
Dinner 6pm – 12am, 7 days/week (Bar is open until 2am)
Brunch 10am – 5pm (Saturday & Sunday)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Jeremy Blutstein & Michael Reardon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Private Room, Weekend Brunch
- Special Events: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any inquiries for private events. Please be sure to send the date, time, approximate number of guests, and the nature of the event. Merci!
A word from Margaux
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Margaux reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (25)hot spot (23)vibrant bar scene (20)good for groups (19)romantic (18)special occasion (12)great for brunch (11)late-night find (11)great for lunch (9)great for outdoor dining (3)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- top notchdominikzDined on 11/17/2014value for money . .................................................................................................................................................................................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy/Hot Hotel Bar & Restaurant SceneDavidSDined on 11/15/2014Young crowd for late night bar scene. Food delicious but portion size pretty small - no bread; actually left hungry and would probably look to order more appetizers/sides on next visit. The bar at 11p is packed - young and over-lubricated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menuJanredVIPDined on 11/15/2014We selected this restaurant based on Open Table reviews. We were attending an event at NYU and selected Margaux for the location as well as the reviews. We entered the restaurant through the bar, which had a sophisticated crowd in a comfortable setting. The service was excellent and the food delicious. I had a lovely chicken dish and fabulous roasted cauliflower. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply DivineAte2deathDined on 11/11/2014I found this place to be a wonderful experience. The ambiance put me back in beautiful Paris. The fireplace room was very cozy and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner, charming staffMargoDined on 11/9/2014My partner and I celebrated our one-year anniversary here on a Sunday evening at 9:30pm, and I cannot recommend Margaux more highly for a special occasion. The food was delicious - we shared the country bread and beet chips for starters; he had a tortellini dish, and I the mussels; we shared panna cotta and chocolate budino for dessert. The waiter was incredibly helpful with recommending wine to go with our meal. The waiter and host were friendly, insightful, and warm. From the porcelain to the leather banquettes, the decor at Margaux is cozy and romantic. I would come back here with a group of friends and share appetizers and drinks in one of the booths.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed ReviewsEMP012Dined on 11/4/2014Although the ambiance is very nice, the waitstaff is subpar and our waiter was not only a little off but kept coming to the table to pressure us to order drinks and then food when we hadn't even looked at the menu yet. The crudite, understandably something small, was literally 5 vegetable sticks on a plate. The food would have been amazing although my fish was cold and the potatoes were not cooked. Would I try it again? Yes, but it might take time.Special Features:
- Oh, MargauxOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/31/2014The food at Margaux was pretty good - it was really the extraordinarily slow service in a fairly empty restaurant that annoyed me. I came in with a friend and waited about 25 minutes before the waiter came to take a food order. A large group came in about 25 minutes after we sat and ended up getting served before I did -- annoying. Not sure if the waiter was waiting us out, trying to get us to order more alcohol to pad the bill, since it was a slow night; regardless, it should not have been a two hour ordeal start to finish when there were only 3-4 other tables in the entire restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014The food was perfect. We dined on halloween eve, the staff were costumed and festive but still professional. They have a very strong old fashioned on tap, i'll give it a point for novelty but I wish I ordered wine instead. We had the steak, short ribs, and grilled octopus. All perfectly made. They could do without the fake plants in the solarium..Special Features:
- Just rightbsnycDined on 10/31/2014The food was very good and well worth the price. but it was the very friendly and attentive service (without being overbearing) that made the meal so good. The place is still pretty new, so i was surprised and pleased that they have it all so together.Special Features:
- Success spoilsdeverdeneDined on 10/30/2014I had several really pleasant and delicious meals at Margaux over the summer, but my most recent experience there was much less satisfying. The service, starting with the hostess, was rude and unfriendly and inattentive, the new menu is overpriced and the $30+ entrees arrived unaccompanied by anything resembling a vegetable or other complement. So overall an unpleasant dining experience at too high of a price.Special Features:
- DOWN hilltboneDined on 10/24/2014not as good as It used to be - food gone downhill - prices up - quality down - its more of a scene now and crowd became much younger - better if you want over priced drinks - skimpy wine pours for very $$ - wont be backSpecial Features:
- First Class Restaurant & BArPointCloatesVIPDined on 10/20/2014This was our first visit and we were very impressed. The bar area is popular and New York trendy. Restaurant area is more rustic in style but attractive nonetheless. We were particularly impressed with the food. The menu is quite creative with a number of attractive options for the vegetarian. We particularly enjoyed the Farmers plate and the chicken was beautifully prepared. Wine choices were good and service was impeccable. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fashionable Village Hotel HotspotCFMcGVIPDined on 9/23/2014The scene outranked the food and avoid the farmer's board/dips. The Turkish seasoned chicken was heavily seasoned, but certainly palatable/good. Would recommend the bar scene over the dining room for your visit here.Special Features:
- Food is first rateernieDined on 9/19/2014The back room is horrendous. The music is lound and the sound of chatter overwhelming. It is more than unpleasant. The from room is far better. I have dined there three times and have found the food excellent. Service is great too. I would inform a friend to not get placed in the back room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Crystal was our waitress and she was amazingly polite, knowledgeable, and prompt. I would highly recommend this experience to any of my friends.Special Features:
- Nice spot - empty, bad serviceLAtoSFVIPDined on 8/31/2014The bar and setup is very cool, however, it was very empty on Sunday night for dinner. We were one of 3 or 4 tables in the whole restaurant. The food was great, the service was horrible. I imagine it might pick up on other nights but for a quiet dinner it was a nice spot in the city. The bar is usually crowded but the restaurant less-so.Special Features:
- SmloDined on 8/8/2014Small portions, unfortunately. A gorgeous setting in an old New York setting. Excellent service, but pastas are tasteless even when supposedly served with lobster or octopus. Noise becomes a problem as the time gets later, even tho tables are a nice distance away from one another.Special Features:
- The following 26 reviews are from the Margaux reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Brilliant for a romantic treat night or for a fun group dinner - excellent cocktails, wine and ambiance. Will def go back in the winter for fireside wineSpecial Features:
- totally over-priced !!!FoodieNeighborsVIPDined on 7/22/2014the server was quite friendly, the backyard was quite charming for a restaurant in "that block". However the dishes were totally over-priced. My Hlibut was $42, it tasted more like a $22 ... Good Luck !!!Special Features:
- RecommendFoodloverVIPDined on 7/14/2014Food was very good. Would recommend asking for the back room. Very pretty with a garden feel.Special Features:
- westburbsDined on 7/12/2014Great selection of fresh, innovative, yummy dishes, from appetizers to small plates to entrees. Carefully prepared, everything we had was delicious! The enclosed patio is lovely.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014Very limited lunch menu, and only two desserts were available. Service was slow despite the fact that the restaurant was almost empty.
- BellaDined on 7/9/2014food was fantastic--tables were a little small to put all of the plates on so a bit uncomfortable, but would definitely go back! We wanted to order several appetizers and then decide on our entrees, but were told all had to be ordered together. So we opted for just the appetizers--not a good practice for building the business.Special Features:
- Pleasant all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/7/2014Food really good. Great drinks. Sat in enclosed garden area which was very pleasant and maybe quieter than indoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to the villageFleacynoVIPDined on 7/6/2014The hotel Martlton has been hit since it opened. This was our first time actually dining in Margaux and in any wait to go back. Wonderful cocktails started the evening and yummy desserts completed it. In between were farm fresh vegetables prepared beautifully (cauliflower custard!) and perfectly cooked fish. If you like a burger try it out. Comes with a heap of curly fries. Honestly can't wait to go back. With the usual crowds in the Hamptons reservations are a bit easier to come by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm soldlexa3fdelVIPDined on 7/6/2014I've had a table for 2 for dinner on a packed Friday night and I've had a table for 5 for brunch on a calm Sunday and both times the service and food were outstanding. They were even accomodating enough to email me a copy of the brunch menu because it wasn't posted online at the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new spot but still needs workDJDNYCDined on 6/26/2014They've done a fantastic job with the space, and the cocktail and appetizer menu is perfect. Still need to work on the execution of the rest of the menu--and be careful not to let the 'scene' overshadow the charm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 8thStFoodieDined on 6/8/2014Very disappointed. Food was good but portions were small and pricey. Service was not great either. Bar looked great however for a drink late afternoon or evening.
- Great place but added chargeslmack214VIPDined on 6/6/2014Overall the food, service, and ambiance was great. My only complaint is that we were charged for bread (and not only once but twice) and a more expensive glass of wine than I ordered. I would go back, but I would be much more clear to ask to make sure that anything we thought was complimentary truly was.
- Nice place - small portionsEaterVIPDined on 6/5/2014Very nice atmosphere, gets quite loud, but to be expected at popular place. Food was good but pasta portions SMALL. My risotto came on a plate, not even a shallow bowl. My pal's pasta was small too. We were really hungry afterwards! Went to Otto down the block for a pizza. On the other hand, the portion of burrata was a bit much - too much for such a rich dish, not enough figs. I think when you order prosecco that they should tell you it's cava too. There is a difference.Special Features:
- Good foodrocketshipVIPDined on 5/29/2014Seated immediately, service was very quick. Seemed 10 minutes after ordering the food appeared. A bit snobby but not overly and very efficient in serving and cleaning up. Will return, for sure.Special Features:
- Style over substance: overpriced!labonnecuisineVIPDined on 5/15/2014In the loud, dark diner-like atmosphere, the food served was a disappointment. the one vegetarian dish arrived with a lot of sauce and besides the 5 peapods that looked like a garnish, the remaining ingredients were all white potatoes (i had specifically asked the waiter which vegetables were in the dish and he said he did not know). the menu is a carb and meat fest, overpriced for the quality. the best part is that by the time you're done there may actually be a cute table in a corner of the lounge where a real fire burns and the 70s atmosphere greets both tourists staying at the hip hotel and locals looking to hang.Special Features:
- Nice vibe!JulesnBillDined on 5/10/2014My husband and I had stopped by Hotel Marlton for drinks one evening and loved the atmosphere. Great cocktails, too. Decided to try Margaux for dinner. We had a lovely experience. Again, those excellent cocktails paved the way! The food was tasty, though nothing was amazing for this level of ambition and price. The cauliflower puree with crispy kale was quite nice, as was the roasted chicken and asparagus/mushroom risotto. Beet salad also good, as were the desserts--a chocolate cake with interesting crumbles and a blueberry pastry in a flaky crust. Service was relaxed and very friendly. This is a great place to kick back and enjoy the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MargauxJoniBeeVIPDined on 3/5/2014Signature dishes were disappointing. Lamb meatballs & cauliflower appetizer were tasteless. Scallops served with mushroom sottoaceto did not compliment the celery root purée. A big let down having read the glowing review in The Daily News. The only positive was they offered complimentary "bottled house water" Really!
- Excellent Meal!asb03VIPDined on 2/14/2014We went there for valentines day. Read some reviews on Yelp that were less then flattering, but they couldn't be more wrong. The service was amazing and attentive. The food was delicious. All in all we had a wonderful experience. Not on bad thing to say at all. We would go back 100% (and plan to)Special Features:
- Service was friendly and attentive,Jennifer10014Dined on 2/14/2014Service was friendly and attentive, food was excellent. We started with the lamb meatballs, which were great. My boyfriend had the lamb and couldn't get enough. Bar and restaurant were packed, cocktails were very different and tasty. The whole place had a good energy and vibe. The only negative was that I had noted on my reservation (and then called twice to follow up) to be sat in the garden area. When we got there, they sat us a table in the main part of the restaurant. I was totally disappointed....then I asked if we could sit in the garden and we were able to move - there were actually several empty tables in that area, yet they sat us right next to the kitchen. They obviously didn't see the notes in our reservation for preferences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice little findryanrDined on 2/14/2014At some point I'm sure it'll get super popular, but for now it's a nice little find with an original menu and a great atmosphere.Special Features:
- great chefallisonkishturkelVIPDined on 2/7/2014the food was great! We had asked the chef's name and was told that John cooked our food and it was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/1/2014Perfect place to spend the evening. Great bar to have drinks before and after dinner and restaurant is very buzzySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific! Inventive menu,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/26/2014Terrific! Inventive menu, everything beautifully prepared. We tried lots of different things and were really impressed. The room is attractive and comfortable. Service was friendly, attentive, efficient. A truly delightful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.