Margaret Kuo's - Wayne
175 East Lancaster Ave.
Wayne, PA 19087Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $31 to $50
Margaret Kuo's - Wayne
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.margaretkuos.com/
- Phone: (610) 688-7200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afternoon Tea, Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Margaret Kuo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Margaret Kuo's offers catering service for any number of guests. Please call 610-688-7200 for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Margaret Kuo's offers 2 well appointed private rooms for parties from 6 to 30 guests. No room charge. A la Carte or Prix Fixe menus available. Minimums apply.
- Private Party Contact: Paul Kuo 6106887200
- Entertainment: Special occasions only. Chinese New Year, New Year's Eve, Karaoke
A word from Margaret Kuo's - Wayne
Since 1974, Margaret Kuo's is Philadelphia's original "New Menu" Chinese restaurant serving Madame Kuo's award-winning Northern Chinese cuisine. The ambiance is culturally evocative yet comfortably inviting. For true Japanese ambiance & a Nipponese menu, please visit the Akari Room Upstairs at Margaret Kuo's.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Margaret Kuo's - Wayne reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (17)good for groups (13)special occasion (12)neighborhood gem (12)romantic (8)great for lunch (4)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Wonderful dining experience!Wayne14Dined on 11/15/2014Great place for groups as you have the choice of Japanese or Chinese menus, which will appeal to everyone. The wine list is more affordable and diverse than other restaurants in the Main Line area. The sushi was amazing, beautiful presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Chinese MealWestChesterDinerVIPDined on 11/14/2014We had a pleasant meal on a Friday night. We had fish soup with pickled mustard for two which had a very delicately flavored broth with ginger and not too salty. We shared Imperial Shrimp, Chilean Sea Bass and Sautéed Green Beans. The shrimp were large and cooked just right, although the Orange sauce was a little overpowering and perhaps too sweet. The Chilean Sea Bass was a nice sized piece served with bok choi. Service was excellent. The decor is attractive and upscale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I rememberPickyEaterDined on 10/31/2014I have been to Margaret Kuo's before and really enjoyed it. This time nothing seemed to sparkle. We had duck and a few other dishes - there were 4 of us. The dishes seemed overly salted and not that great. Even the tea we ordered tasted drab. The service was great - love the hot towels.
- Very good food and service.popineVIPDined on 10/7/2014Best sushi I"ve had in a long time. Very fresh and delicious . A quiet booth was great for 2 or 4 people and larger private areas too. Can order off both menus which we did. Chinese and Japenese. Will go back once a week. Easy parking out in frontSpecial Features:
- majorandthemrsDined on 9/28/2014we eat at mandarin often and were looking forward to a step up from that. great soup, spring rolls and dumplings. the pork buns were a real highlight. and the pork shoulder was phenomenal. we also had very nice service and it was nice to be visited several times by the owners.Special Features:
- Real Chinese FoodBballrefDined on 9/13/2014This place is brilliant! But it is authentic. If you're looking for sweet and sour chicken, look elsewhere. If you're looking to expand your palate or for a real ethnic meal, this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014This was our 2nd time there. Great sushi. Love the atmosphere there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 180 reviews are from the Margaret Kuo's - Wayne reviews archive.
- GabrielaDined on 7/16/2014We enjoyed our dining experience in the Japanese 2nd floor restaurant until the waitress abruptly took away the sugar containers and some small plates. She banged around the dishes as she removed them. You could see she was irritated. It was just before 10 pm and we were being rushed out in a rude way. If the waitress had instead just said we are closing in 10 minutes, we would have not felt like we were "guilty" of doing something wrong by lingering and enjoying our dinners. Treating customers nicely and respectfully goes a long way.
- Food2loveDined on 7/10/2014The host was charming and made us feel very much as ease Everything we ate was delicious The portions are indeed enough for sharing We will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slipping?NotallR4sVIPDined on 5/30/2014We had a 7:30 reservation on Friday night & were seated promptly, though not at a booth, understandably as we were only two and it was prime time. We ordered a bottle of white wine that clearly wasn't stored in a cooler. It arrived in a frozen stone cooler - no water so I poured water from my glass into the cooler to speed the cooling. We should have been told the wine we choose wasn't cold. The server was abrupt and bossy - possibly language deficit. The wall next to the table was splattered with food/soy sauce - quite unappetizing. The food was fairly good but the 'wall art,' warm wine and awkward server left us re-thinking where to go for sushi. Too bad as we've always enjoyed this place before.
- foodieDined on 5/29/2014The food is better than at Susanna Foo's although not as interesting
- Akari RoomsomegirlDined on 5/24/2014This room in Japanese themed. Their menu boasts sushi, non-seafood entrees, hot teas (I'm a tea-freak), and good desserts. I haven't gotten anything here that wasn't delicious.Special Features:
- Braggin' About the DragonStanleymanlyVIPDined on 5/11/2014Really enjoyed a Mother's Day dinner with another couple at Margaret Kuo's from the earnest welcome to the cheerful good night. Elegant decor, friendly service, excellent food and reasonable prices. Something for everyone, including a wonderful vegetarian mushroom soup. They hit a gong when you order the Peking duck and a chef comes out of the kitchen to carve the duck into bite-size pieces, which are then wrapped in pancakes. The women shared it and enjoyed it. I had the Chengdu chicken in a wonderful, spicy sauce. The lone disappointment was a small slice of blueberry cheesecake that was dry and commercial.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWE3Dined on 5/9/2014Margaret Kuos has been around a long time but we had never been there Warm interior friendly warm management excellent servers Impressively good food Good size portions without a lot of fillers Top notchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little dissapointedOthelloDined on 4/5/2014My wife and I have been to this location many times and always have had a great meal however last week we were somewhat disappointed. The young waitress forgot an order for one of our party of four and I ordered the Chilean Sea Bass and although it was tasty it arrived barely warm from the kitchen. All our orders seemed to take a lot longer than usual. Just an off night I guess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Business Meetings!JohnGVIPDined on 2/18/2014Great menu, lots of variety to choose from classic Chinese to Sushi. While it was my first time, we found the Upper Floor seating very conducive for our business meetings.I would recommend this to a friend.
- BYOB2FoodiesVIPDined on 2/18/2014A pleasant surprise - this restaurant is BYOB on certain days of the week. Fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was goodkenron113VIPDined on 1/25/2014great peking duck - everything fresh and hot - service was a little fast so we got them to slow downSpecial Features:
- Margaret Kuo's only status quoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/4/2014High prices for just okay food. Nothing exceptional.Special Features:
- Chinese Food brought to a new levelOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/22/2013This is an outstanding restaurant. They have all the traditional foods prepared much better than typical local Chinese restaurants. In addition, Margaret Kuo has developed her own recipes in the traditional style that are also amazing. Peking duck was outstanding. I have been to the restaurant several times now and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We ordered the shrimp andOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/21/2013We ordered the shrimp and vegetable tempura and it was very good..we had an early peaceful supper one Saturday afternoon...Special Features:
- Always dependable...alwaysJohnDined on 12/17/2013Always dependable...always consistently good. Great value for the quality of restaurant, food, service, and especially the wine prices which often include special discounts. Also perfect venue for a business dinner as you can actually have conversations without having to raise voice levels a notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/13/2013food was good. i was there on a business trip and did want to drive, wanted to go some place close by and this place was there right next to m motel. soup was exquisite, food was hot. the owner came by chatted for a while. such a humble person. love to go there next i am there.Special Features:
- Wow! What a night!JB22VIPDined on 11/13/2013Fantastic evening. A group of 10 of us celebrating some recent success at work decided to have a group dinner at Margaret Kuo's. We made the right choice! Top notch execution from the host, wait and kitchen teams - not to mention personal visits to the table from Margaret and Warren Kuo to say hello. From the Chinese Appetizer selection - to the GIANT sushi boat, to the individual dinners selected by the team - everyone enjoyed every morsel! A wonderful experience not to be missed! PS the Black Sesame Ahi Tuna dinner on the Japanese menu is definitely the best in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChaosWarrenDined on 11/2/2013It was one of those evenings when the entire place was so disorganized that the management couldn't even confirm reservations. I spite of the chaos, the food was very good.
- Always wonderfullotusblossumVIPDined on 10/22/2013Fresh, authentic, sophisticated. Had the shrimp (Imperial) I believe, with a side of the best broccoli in garlic sauce (very light) that I've ever had. The service is friendly yet refined. Many additional options now with small plates available, giving the diner the opportunity to try numerous dishes. Never fails to satisfy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experience!JayKayVIPDined on 10/12/2013This is great place and a consistent go-to for me. Love it for lunch on Saturday...quiet, atttentive service, and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Lunch!LunchBunchDined on 9/17/2013The wait staff was very accommodating & patient while we decided on menu choices. We were pleasantly delighted to find out my friend could order sushi & I was able to order Chinese food in the featured room focused on just Chinese style recipes. All the food came out beautiful & artfully arranged & best pf all delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visit was a nice as the firstCoyotefeDined on 8/4/2013Sometimes I return to a restaurant, and the experience is not as enjoyable as I recalled. At Margaret Kuo, however, the food was great, the service attentive, and the atmosphere relaxed and beautiful. They even managed to please my very discriminating foodie friend. I will return and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the BestNewOrleansGemVIPDined on 8/3/2013We have been going to Margret Kuo's for a long time and especially like it for the consistency of quality as well as the ambience not to mention the attentive service. We recommend this to all friends and family, and believe anyone living near one of Margret Kuo's restaurants should experience this gem. DelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a FavoriteTraciVIPDined on 7/19/2013This place is one of our favorite restaurants and is reliable for a delicious meal with excellent service. They added a small plates menu to their existing menu. We tried some of those as an appetizer and a side dish. Very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointingfg729VIPDined on 7/10/2013I have dined at Margaret Kuo's Dragon's Lair several times before and the food is always consistently good. The service is excellent, very attentive and always prompt. This is truly a great place to dine for special occasions or just for a quick lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Best Chinese in the US East CoastJuliaDCDined on 7/4/2013Four of us (three Chinese from Shanghai and one American) went to Margaret Kuo’s and had a wonderful dinner. We have had the following five dishes: 1. ROAST SHANGHAI DUCK WITH STUFFED EIGHT TREASURES (申江八寶葫蘆鴨) 2. LION’S HEAD, SOUTH OF THE YANGTZE STYLE (江南獅子頭) 3. IMPERIAL SHRIMP (油爆大名蝦) 4. MOUNTAIN YAM SAUTÉED WITH GARDEN GREENS (薺菜山藥) 5. VELVET FISH IN WINE RICE (糟溜魚片) All these dishes were very special, uniquely presenting the styles and authentic tastes of fine dishes from Shanghai region of China. They were the most delicious Chinese dishes I have had in the US in twenty years. Also these dishes are very favorable to the American who joined us for the dinner. However, the price at Margaret Kuo’s is reasonable and affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/30/2013Had a quiet dinner at Margaret Kuo's on Sunday evening. The sculptures on the wall set the tone for a different sort of dining experience. The service was gracious, there were numerous excellent food choices and the dinners we chose were outstanding. Having been to Buddakhan a few months ago, I can tell you there's no comparison. Margaret Kuo's would be my choice by a long shot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Authentic Chinese in the areacrlipkinVIPDined on 6/26/2013We had a wonderful dinner at Margaret Kuo's, from the time we were greeted by our host (who wished our daughter a happy birthday--it was noted on the reservation) to the service, to each wonderful course that we ate. Everything about our experience was great. The food was phenomenal. We enjoyed the way they presented the Peking Duck--with a ceremonial gong, as it came out of the kitchen to the table. The sauteed green beans were loaded with flavor. And the desserts were wonderful, too. The service was very good--not too rushed, but we also didn't feel we waited an inordinate amount of time for our dishes, either. It was our first time there, but we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peking duck was great, newOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/13/2013Peking duck was great, new small plates were interesting and properly sized. The server was terrific, very knowledgeable, always available, but not intrusive. The braised pork shoulder was a bit dry this time (ordered many times in the past), but the au jus was great as were the buns. Hard to beat Margaret Kuo's.
- Consistently TastyBetsyVIPDined on 5/31/2013The food is consistently good there, and the service is great as well. One of my favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There were no people upstairsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013There were no people upstairs when we went, so it was very intimate but not that exciting of a place. Sushi was good.Special Features:
- Excellent! Will definatelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2013Excellent! Will definately go back. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- The Peking duck was amazing,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/8/2013The Peking duck was amazing, but the lamb stew lacked flavor. The staff was very friendly.Special Features: