Margaret Kuo's Akari Room Upstairs - Japanese Cuisine
175 East Lancaster Avenue
Wayne, PA 19087Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Margaret Kuo's Akari Room Upstairs - Japanese Cuisine
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.margaretkuos.com/
- Phone: 6106887200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Margaret Kuo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Margaret Kuo's offers catering service for up to 100 guests. Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Margaret Kuo's Akari Room offers 2 authentic Tatami rooms for traditional on-the-floor dining, each room providing intimate seating for 10 guests or combined for up to 20 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Paul Kuo 6106887200
- Entertainment: Special occasions only. Chinese New Year, New Year's Eve, Karaoke
A word from Margaret Kuo's Akari Room Upstairs - Japanese Cuisine
Designed to showcase the contemporary interpretation of traditional Japanese architecture, the Akari Room Upstairs at Margaret Kuo's exudes Asian intimacy & cultural romance. The menu, ranging from sushi to Shabu Shabu,, is traditional & authentic. For authentic Northern Chinese cuisine, please visit Margaret Kuo's Dragon's Lair.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Margaret Kuo's Akari Room Upstairs - Japanese Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
1 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance5Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Great ExperienceTEVANS1Dined on 5/17/2014First time dining at Margaret Kuo's. Very positive experience. Great food, great service and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/12/2014i have eaten many times at this restaurant and i hope this was just a bad night. However, it was so bad, i can't imagine ever going back. There were four of us and two ordered entrees that were served in a reasonable amount of time. they waited a while before starting, since the other two were still waiting for their food. 25 minutes after they finished their entrees, the other entree (a boiled dinner, prepared at the table, and thus almost nothing for the kitchen to do) finally started arriving. it was not worth the wait. bland, poorly presented. what a disappointment on what was supposed to be a very special birthday night.
- Rare GemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/6/2014This is a rare gem. It's a James Beard restaurant in a charming little town. This white linen, elegant and incredibly delicious Chinese/sushi restaurant is the best Chinese food I've eaten in a long time. It's truly a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When you want the best ...JB22VIPDined on 2/15/2014Go to the Akari Room Upstairs at Margaret Kuo's in Wayne. On a miserable weather night this past Saturday we were warmly greeted and promptly seated for our 8:00 pm reservation. The Sushi 2-2-2 deal is an absolute steal at $15 and we ordered that and the Soft Shell crab roll as appetizers. On good advice from a previous review, we ordered the black sesame Ahi-Tuna dinner -- which was too pretty to eat! But we devoured it - and it was delish! They also have a very thoughtful wine list with a few hidden gems at EXTRA FAIR prices - we found one and enjoyed that as well. All in all a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodDan99Dined on 2/14/2014We had sushi dinner and filet teriyaki... sushi was good, but we were underwhelmed with the presentation... having been to a western suburbs favorite Veekoo where the presentation is awesome, Margaret Kuos was a little plain... anyway it was Valetines date with my sweety celebrating our first date 6 years go so we had to go...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not very hot.leegarDined on 2/11/2014I realize the Akari room is upstairs and the kitchen is downstairs, but they should make a better effort to serve the food hot.Special Features:
- Thoroughly enjoyed the AkariWayneDined on 1/24/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the Akari Room! Service was excellent and attentive. Wine list was amazing. Excellent selection of Japanese sake. Very nice ginger dressing on salad and lobster tempura roll was outstanding. We both had udon noodle bowls and thoroughly enjoyed them. Definitely on our repeat list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual FindPierreLeGuideDined on 1/14/2014We know Margaret Kuo's for high-quality, innovative Chinese food, but we had not realized that upstairs is a high-quality Japanese restaurant! Beautifully decorated, one feels as though one is in Japan. Menu is extensive, in addition to a large sushi menu and sushibar. Seating is at tables or in booths. Service was excellent and attentive. Wine list was broad. We'll return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentNotallR4sVIPDined on 1/11/2014Margaret Kuo's Akari Room continues to serve excellent Japanese food in a lovely, quiet setting. We always wonder why we don't think of it more often as whenever we do go, we are wowed!Special Features:
- Great Chinese foodYummyDined on 11/2/2013The service was a little slow but it's great Chinese food. The second floor of the restaurant is japenese so you can order sushi if you would like as well. We had both Chinese and sushi and we were impressed with both! I really like sang me and I like Margaret kuos too. Cin cin and Yang Ming are also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysleia1711Dined on 10/19/2013This restaurant never disappoints - food and service are always amazing. I am especially happy that they put their Ozeki Sunset back on the cocktail menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dining experiencepashaDined on 9/28/2013It was our first time at the restaurant and we really enjoyed the experience. The food was very good. They were a little too generous with the sauces on the food. The restaurant is pretty and cozy and romantic. Our waitress was excellent. Overall we really liked everything. We will be going there whenever we are in town.Special Features:
- YummychinesefoodloverDined on 9/21/2013Sushi for 2 was awesome, fresh and delicious. Also, Margaret Kuo makes the best Chicken Sczechuan in the area, have been enjoying for years, also the sczechuan dumplings rock.Special Features:
- Ate at sushi bar twice. SushiBonpaulVIPDined on 9/20/2013Ate at sushi bar twice. Sushi chefs very nice and skilled. Very expensive, 7 dollar green tea. Waitress was downright annoying and kept trying to upsell us. Will not return.
- I went for lunch with a formerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/26/2013I went for lunch with a former client and we had reservations for the Japanese section upstairs and instead were seated in the Chinese section downstairs. I chose not to say anything, but requested we get a Japanese menu in addition to the chinese menu. The wait staff only bought us one Japanese menu for the two of us to look at. We had also requested a bottle of Riesling and they bought out Chardonnay without even realizing it until we told them. The wait staff also took a long time to come back and ask us what we wanted to eat. I got the wasabi shumai which was amazing and also the general tso's chicken which was just okay. I'm not sure that I would come back to this location again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not authentic Japanese food.BrooklynBobVIPDined on 5/17/2013They try to serve Japanese cuisine but fail. We're from New York and have been to many excellent Japanese restaurants. Here the sauce for the tempura was bland. The sukiyaki was mostly thick noodles. Very little beef and vegetables. And when I ordered a raw egg to go with the sukiyaki, it came out poached. The Chinese server did not speak English very well.
- great in every wayfoodie27Dined on 5/17/2013We had such a wonderful night upstairs in one of the booths! The quiet atmosphere was only disturbed by our oohs and ahs (and general merrymaking), over the peking duck and special nori rolls. Because Margaret Kuo's specializes in both Chinese and Japanese cuisine, we could pick from both menus and we did. The food was fantastic and our waiter was attentive and courteous, what more can you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but lousy serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2013Food was pretty decent but the service was lousy! The lady that we had barely answered any of our questions and basically just did her job of taking our order. She not at all approachable. We felt she was treating is differently than the table across from us. Not sure of intentional!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My group of three friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/12/2013My group of three friends really enjoyed our experience at Margaret Kuo's. We sat up in the second floor area since we were interested in ordering sushi, and we were not disappointed. Our server, whose name I think was Tommy, was a native of Hong Kong, and knew the menu extremely well. He was very helpful and gracious. The service overall was excellent, and we were able to enjoy our meal leisurely. All the various sushi rolls we ordered were delicious, and the tempura-fried green tea ice cream was the perfect ending. The cost was a little expensive, but not outrageous; we ordered six different rolls plus the one dessert. We did not have alcoholic drinks, just tea. The bill for the three of us was $100 plus tip. I'd go again!Special Features:
- DisappointingPghDineNTravelVIPDined on 4/7/2013Unfortunately we had a poor experience dining at this restaurant. Very poor service. Some of our sushi was still frozen. Really was expecting better based on other reviews.
- We were four people seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/23/2013We were four people seated in a booth. It felt very private and we were able to talk about a normal level. Service was great and fast. Very enjoyable.Special Features:
- Delicious. Although the upstairsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/18/2013Delicious. Although the upstairs is not opened during the week for lunch, the Japanese menu was available to us.Special Features:
- My wife and I enjoyed theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/17/2013My wife and I enjoyed the ambiance and the food was GREAT!Special Features:
- Nice atmosphere and a comprehensiveDGSVeronaDined on 2/15/2013Nice atmosphere and a comprehensive menu of Japanese cuisine. Nice selection of beverages and food was nicely presented and delicious. An enjoyable evening, never felt rushed and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/2/2013Sushi dinner for 2 was amazing. Great assortment and super fresh! Service was a little slow but we didn't mind because we enjoyed the food so much.Special Features:
- Margaret Kuo's is the finest1john1Dined on 1/5/2013Margaret Kuo's is the finest chinese/japanese food in the area. Always an outstanding experience.Special Features:
- Always excellent. And whoMagicxnDined on 11/23/2012Always excellent. And who else bangs an elegant & ceremonious gong when they bring out a Peking duck to prepare tableside?Special Features:
- Do It Yourself $$$ Dinner!MaestraDined on 9/15/2012The Sushi and Shrimp Dumplings were delicious! For our entree, we decided to try something different......Steak and vegetables "cooked at your table".......a Special 2 people...$65.00. We waited 45 minutes for this uncooked entree to arrive. My husband spoke to the waiter about the long delay...."it is coming soon" was the reply. The waiter put a single gas burner on our table....we were encouraged.....more waiting...for the food to arrive.When raw vegetables and steak arrive, the waiter places some of each in the pot...and leaves! My husband summons him.....the waiter says to us, "you cook it !". Huh?... So, if we had ordered Caesar salad prepared tableside, WE would have to make it?? Unbelievable! We were Extremely disappointed!Special Features:
- Food was unique but good.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2012Food was unique but good. Only had apps and a bottle of wine but it was a little on the expensive side.Special Features:
- Nice food, have eaten hereGVollmerVIPDined on 5/20/2012Nice food, have eaten here often, but the service was terrible tonight.Special Features:
- The food was okay, the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/18/2012The food was okay, the service was okay, and the prices were fine. Nothing in particular was wrong, but nothing really stood out to make me choose them over the many other local Japanese restaurants. One tip for the Akari Room- Put your Sake, Wine, Tea, and cocktail lists into one menu. At the small tables, dealing with three leather bound drink menus, plus the regular menus, is unnecessarily cumbersome.
- Searching for quality Sushi on theFridayVIPDined on 5/7/2012I'm not a critic but the whole experience was underwhelming. our server was rude and abrupt, service was slow, and the place was empty. The rolls we ordered which sounded delicious, were just ok, many of the combinations just did not work together. i ordered Sashimi alacarte the selection was good, the fish was fresh and well portioned, the lack of specialty fish was disappointing for such a high end restaurant. Our guest had the Wild Salmon teriyaki from the kitchen was the star of the evening. we all had fun, but we brought it and left with it.
- Our whole experience was wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/29/2012Our whole experience was wonderful - great food, great service, a nice quiet place to talk, relax and enjoy.
- Not as expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/14/2012It wasn't upscale Japanese food. Not impressed at all. Osaka, CinCin and YungMing are better choices for Sushi and Japanese food quality wise as well as price wise. I wouldn't recommend it in valentine day a lot of high school kids and not romantic.
- The restaurant was nicelyWineloverDined on 2/14/2012The restaurant was nicely decorated in tradional Japanese culture creating a relaxed, serene ambience. The service was prompt and the food was very fresh. We enjoyed the avacado and field green salad with ginger dressing and all of our sushi and roll selections. The addition of seasoning by the sushi chef brought out the flavors of the fish, especially the striped bass. It was a very nice experience, we will definitely return again when we are in the area.Special Features:
- Dependably Delicious! WejojokligVIPDined on 1/24/2012Dependably Delicious! We ate upstairs in the Akari Room where they serve Japanese food. You can also order off the Chinese Menu from the restaurant downstairs. Sushi is good - they have brown rice sushi and their sashimi is good too. They do tend to push the cocktails when you sit down, but overall an excellent experience!Special Features:
- Food great, Service horriblesandyBVIPDined on 1/16/2012Happy to arrive and get a nice booth for my friend and I for dinner. The service was great at first but got progressively worse...so much so that my sushi had not arrived before my friend was already done her entree and appetizer. While I realize that sushi sometimes takes longer while a place is busy- this was not the reason. There was only ONE other table in the entire place while we were there. The order was never put in! Our wine glasses were empty for at least 20 minutes before we flagged down someone to refill them. Then after that, we ordered dessert that the server NEVER PUT IN! We waited for 20 minutes and it never came. Its such as shame, as we loved the food but service was surprisingly horrible with no apologies. Dissapointing!
- The sushi was excellent.ExcellentcookVIPDined on 1/9/2012The sushi was excellent. As to sit in a tatami room. Much better ambiance than the tables. We had great service tooSpecial Features:
- intimate and exceptionnalanoahnaDined on 1/2/2012Margaret Kuo's intimate atmosphere in the Japanese room upstairs is perfect for a quiet evening. Even with kids. Or for a romantic dinner. We enjoyed the chef special menu. It was surprising, it was delicious and perfectly cooked! Thanks again!Special Features:
- A lot of kids so it was veryExcellentcookVIPDined on 12/31/2011A lot of kids so it was very noisy. The waiter was kept bothering us a lot.Special Features: