MARES - Ritz-Carlton San Juan
6961 Avenue of the Governors
Isla Verde, Carolina, PR 00979Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
MARES - Ritz-Carlton San Juan
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/SanJuan/Dining/mares/Default.htm
- Phone: 7872531700
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Daily: 6:00am - 11:30am; Sunday Brunch: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner Night: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Simon Porter
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch
- Entertainment: Tropical Jazz Every Sunday 12:30pm – 3:30pm during Cava Brunch
A word from MARES - Ritz-Carlton San Juan
Forged and inspired by the natural abundance of Caribbean life. Mares is an upscale casual dining destination offering a range of the Atlantic and Caribbean’s finest seafood and shellfish. Chef Simon Porter’s cuisine reflects his island experiences and appreciation for purity and simplicity. Mares’ design is sleek and modern with subtle allusions to its Caribbean heritage.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
MARES - Ritz-Carlton San Juan reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- No Sunday Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/7/2014Open Table says there is a Sunday brunch from 12:30 - 3:00. This is not true. They serve breakfast buffet until noon, followed by lunch. We had brunch reservations at another restaurant and cancelled it to go to the Mares brunch. Needless to say, we were very disappointed. The poor waiter tried his best to assuage us and even comped our coffee and a small appetizer, so we don't blame him. Likely the Mares management has not updated their Open Table account.
- The following 9 reviews are from the MARES - Ritz-Carlton San Juan reviews archive.
- Review is just for breakfast.wellTravelledDinerDined on 11/24/2013Review is just for breakfast. The buffet is way over priced for what is offered. The waffles off of the menu were aweful, very doughy and dense. Go next door to the bakery canarias for breakfast instead.
- We arrived 45 minutes beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/4/2012We arrived 45 minutes before brunch was supposed to be over to find the staff breaking the brunch tables down early since it was not busy despite our having a reservation. But our server was gracious and the chef was happy to make eggs or omelettes to order to accommodate us. All the staff was warm and gracious, up to Ritz Carlton standards. Special stand-out: Orlando's mojitos served at the lobby bar are the best I have ever had!Special Features:
- Breakfast at the Ritz in Sanbankerguy02VIPDined on 1/29/2012Breakfast at the Ritz in San Juan what more needs to be said. The food is very good, juice and fruit are fresh and the custom omelets are great!Special Features:
- Great service made this aJohnsonVIPDined on 9/7/2010Great service made this a place I plan to visit again during our next trip to PRSpecial Features:
- We went there for Mother'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/10/2009We went there for Mother's Day brunch and we had great expectations because after all it is the Ritz Carlton. Unfortunately, it was a dissappointment. After making the reservation through open table I received a call from the restaurant to reschedule because the brunch start at 12:30 PM and they requested a credit card to "secure" the reservation (this was not detailed in the open table website or resevation prompts). Below are some highlights (or warnings??) of the experience:(1)Hotel-beautiful;(2)Restaurant entrance - crowded, disorganized and people didnt make lines for early arrivals;(3)View - NONE, there are glass windows but face the interior patio;(4)Food - not impressive (I had better brunches for $26/per person, this was $70+taxes)
- Prior to our trip to PuertoOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/15/2009Prior to our trip to Puerto Rico the information about this restaurant was very confusing. Read that there was a Sunday brunch and that is why we made this reservation. I was disappointed that there wasn't the Sunday brunch offered, however the daily breakfast buffets were very nice.
- Excellent fod and service.SanMateoManDined on 7/12/2008Excellent fod and service. Staff is friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- I am unable to rate this restaurantJudiVIPDined on 7/7/2008I am unable to rate this restaurant as they took the reservation, but were not open when I dined. They had decided to close on Monday's but had not contacted me with that information. I arrived and they were closed. The manager, Juan, was very gracious and accomodated me in another restaurant at the Ritz-Carlton. I recommended they post on their website the closed days which they have not yet done. This would alleviate problems like mine. Thank you.
- My wife and I went to MaresMarkDined on 6/20/2008My wife and I went to Mares for the Friday Night seafood buffet. The food was extremely average and the price was high. At $65 per person, add in a bottle of water, one cocktail and one cup of coffee -- plus tax and tip -- and you are at $200. The meal was not memorable and not worth $200.