240 Central Park South
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marea-nyc.com/
- Phone: 2125825100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm ; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch - Saturday and Sunday 11:30 - 2:30
(daily limited bar menu from 2:30 till dinner)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Jared Gadbaw
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Marea offers a private dining space that seats up to 16ppl. In addition, we have a space that can seat up to 30ppl, and a lounge that can seat up to 28ppl.
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Stadmeyer 2125825100
- Cross Street: Broadway
- Public Transit: Marea is located near Columbus Circle, a hub for the A, B, C, D and 1 subways lines. One block east and one block south at 57th St. and 7th Ave guests may utilize either the N, Q, R, W subway lines.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Central Parking Systems, 345 West 58th Street (Between 8th and 9th Avenue). To reserve parking at Central Parking System at the Time Warner Center, please call CenterCharge (212-721-6500). Patrons can reserve either matinee (10am - 6pm) or evening (4pm - midnight) spots. Parking fees are $35 for Sun-Wed and $36 for Thu-Sat. Patrons can reserve up until 3pm the day before for matinee performances, and 3pm the day of for evening performances.
A word from Marea
Marea Ristorante, located in one of Manhattans most storied addresses, features Chef Michael White's ode to Italian seafood. From his trademark handmade pastas to his fresh crudo and whole fish, Chef White is committed to reinventing the notion of seafood in New York.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Marea reviews from OpenTable diners
646 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (432)fit for foodies (417)notable wine list (292)romantic (214)great for lunch (154)hot spot (131)neighborhood gem (100)good for groups (76)vibrant bar scene (67)great for brunch (40)late-night find (35)scenic view (24)great for outdoor dining (13)kid-friendly (12)Show More
- it's the bestopinionatedinnycVIPDined on 10/17/2014In NYC, only Jean Georges is its equal.. Right out of La Dolce Vita--updated to the 21st centurySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb and UniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Our group of 4 all found this restaurant experience to be superb and the food was uniquely outstanding. Would absolutely consider the Marea again when we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014The dishes overall were flavorful and artfully presented, however the branzino filet was surprisingly tough and difficult to cut and chew. I was disappointed, considering the very fine reputation of Marea and high expectation of excellence, especially with respect to a popular dish. I probably will not return.
- Goooooood!wickedposhDined on 10/17/2014It was my first try of michelin starred restaurant in us and it didnt dissappointed me:) i tried lobster and fusili there and both of them were good! i would like to come back here definitelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For a-fish-ionatosOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/15/2014Food was great as always, and the place was fully booked yet not noisy. Service was excellent. The prix fixe menu includes excellent selections from the standard menu, and the crudo selections are all heavenly. A really good selection of wines by the glass and a very helpful somelmelier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelent!AndrewDined on 10/15/2014Its one of the best restaurants i have been, the service is amaizing and everything was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For seafood lovers, a mustWonderfulWinoVIPDined on 10/15/2014From crudo to seafood pastas to main dishes, always a hit. Desert needs some work but is not that integral to the seafood bacchanale. Outstanding wine list for all tastes and all budgets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You want Italian seafood?OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/15/2014Consistently good food, attentive and obliging service Marea is the place for gret Italian style seafood in NYC. Location can't be beat right by Central Park South. Michael White group still has kept its service standards even after these years and expansion. The lunch pre fix at under $50 is a steal and the place is still looking new and service isn't stuffy!Special Features:
- TaxmanDined on 10/14/2014Food is consistently excellent. Service, this time, fell down. They forgot the amuse bouche, we had to ask for it when we saw it arrive at another table after our first course. We had to ask for more bread, etc. However, it was a birthday celebration, and they remembered to bring a candle and an extra complimentary dessert without prompting, and gave us a great table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great eveningukfoodiesDined on 10/14/2014My nephew and I had dinner at Marea Tuesday 14 October. Neither of us had been there before, and so there was an air of expectancy from us. It is a large restaurant and was almost full on our arrival. It was very noisy, but this did not detract on the meal, to my relief. We chose the 6 course tasting menu with paired wines. The food was excellent, flavoured well and with good textures. The paired wines went well and to my surprise, one of the white wines was Greek, not normally considered by me to sit in the same exalted company of the normal suspects! The staff and service were excellent. We both had a most enjoyable evening. I rate the meal 9 out of 10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceTP3012Dined on 10/13/2014My second visit to Marea was once again a great experience. Great menu of high quality good and excellent wine. Staff was very friendly and peofessionalSpecial Features:
- The good, the bad and the uglymagicmikeDined on 10/13/2014the food here was great and the price fixe was reasonable for what you got. Branzino baked in salt was excellent. The problem was the music was loud and totally inappropriate for a restaurant of this caliber and the tables were entirely too close together so that neighboring conversations were inordinately loud and distracting. They definitely know how to prepare great pasta, but the ambience left a lot to be desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, minuscule portionsEvacDined on 10/13/2014The preparation of the food is very good but the portion sizes do not justify the prices.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Extremely pretentious. If you a seafood expert you'll like it, otherwise, avoidSpecial Features:
- Very good/FishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014For fish lovers otherwise would not recommend. The food was very good, different. The service very good too. I recommend.Special Features:
- Outstanding in every way24534653465Dined on 10/11/2014Loved this place, the crab and urchin pasta was great, almost makes you feel like you are scuba diving in foodieland. The fish was fresh and perfectly cooked crispy outside and moist and tender inside. All 4 of us enjoyed each part of our meals. Service was great, attentive to food allergies. Wine was amazing, the sommelier's recommendations were outstanding and not too expensive. Definitely try if you are in NYC!Special Features:
- TonypeaDined on 10/11/2014Mare a hits all of the right note. Magnificent space,superb service and sensational food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to visit when in NYCMarvelousVIPDined on 10/10/2014This is the second time I've been to Marea and was marveled once again. You get a good deal for lunch. It's a must in NYC.Special Features:
- Long waiting...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/9/2014We had 8.45 reservation and waited for 45 minute to be seated and so did a lot of other people around us. The food is very good, but not outstanding and it did not worth to wait to start eating until after 10 p.m.Special Features:
- Excellent food & ServiceJinnyDined on 10/9/2014The best italian restaurant. The food was memorable. The service excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the finestKevinDined on 10/8/2014Marea consistently delivers the finest food, pleasant professional service in an appealing atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC's bestmikeyclimbDined on 10/7/2014Second visit. Arrived 15 mins early just to drink at upscale vibrant bar. Poire Royal so good we had 2 each. Maitre D' accommodated our seating requests and kept us apprised of any delay Prix fixed menu a steal for the quality and amount of food. Started w urchin (additional) , followed by lobster pasta dish, later branzino. All world class. Sommelier introduced us to a hitherto unknown varietal from mts of Italian/French border, grown and bottled by a wine making school! Excellent and very reasonable. Service wonderful and subtle. Unfortunately, reservations are difficult to obtain (as expected) Returning for my birthday in 4 weeks (I hope)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/7/2014Food was average-poor value for an expensive restaurant.Service was excellent,except for routine service by the waiter.
- Worth ever biteAndiB23VIPDined on 10/7/2014Food so clean and fresh. Starting from the finest ingredients to wonderful execution - thoroughly enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion DiningtonitravelVIPDined on 10/4/2014We had a wonderful experience at Marea in celebration of my husband's birthday. We ordered the tasting menu which was truly delicious. Our favorite choices were the lobster and halibut. The service was very professional, waiting just enough time between courses to really enjoy the food and wine and good conversation. The only disappointment for me was the dessert of panna cotta. However, my husband chose the cheese course which was delicious. We have been to Marea before and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food, service, ambianceJCR6VIPDined on 10/4/2014Average food, service, ambiance at well above average prices.
- All about the pastas!JennDined on 10/4/2014I came to Marea twice in one week and absolutely loved it. The pastas are cooked to perfection. The first time I had the lump crab to start which was fresh and sweet; and the sea urchin pasta which was tasty although I would've loved for there to be more sea urchin! The second time I had pastas for both my starter and main which I found out you could do. I had the ruby red shrimp gnochetti to start which was delicious! The gnochetti was perfectly cooked and the red shrimp sauce was super tasty, you can definitely taste the shrimp in the sauce. For my main, I had the octopus and bone marrow fusilli which was amazing as usual. Love this place!Special Features:
- Still a top choiceHanoiIGVIPDined on 10/3/2014My wife's favorite NY restaurant, Marea is an elegant spot and convenient to Lincoln Center. Every dish is elegantly presented and the choices are limitless. You are meant to have four courses for $99, a great bargain for a restaurant with two Michelin stars,but we had an early curtain so limited ourselves. I love the sea urchin with lardo and always order it. My wife's grilled octopus was tender and flavorful, while my branzino was juicy and also bursting with fresh flavor. Wine list is strong in Italian.I went with a fruity refosco. Service is hands on with team members appearing when necessary to pour water or wine and to ensure that we got to the Met on time. My wifeasked me "Whay don't weeat here more often?" I think we will!!Special Features:
- Amazing!EmattioliDined on 10/3/2014Incredible place, fine italian food very balanced and and prime ingredients for every plate. A must to go in NY. Must try the octopus as a starter and the octupus pasta as well. Very good location also next to central parkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated as unique, special!TheKenchesDined on 10/2/2014Took my wife here for her birthday. The food was amazing, the service was impeccable and the "little touches" made the difference. Thoroughly recommend the restaurant plus the open table booking experience which topped the whole thing off. Amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014I'm sure there's enough stellar reviews out there - get a table and go, splash out for a meal and you won't regret it.Special Features:
- Manuel14Dined on 9/30/2014The menu is to simple for a Chateau Relais,all the pastas are with seafood,and it has big PRICES.The food does not have the expectative for type of restaurants and the high pricesSpecial Features:
- Excellent mealhaiclef45Dined on 9/30/2014We went here for a big birthday celebration and the reviews and expectations for Marea did not disappoint. We did the 4-course pre-fixe and highly recommend it. All 4 courses were phenomenal and a tremendous fusion between traditional Italian, seafood and modern creativity. The portion sizes were perfect, and the service was very attentive. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- good food, good serviceGogogmacVIPDined on 9/29/2014I had the famous " Fusilli". Yes, it was very good, but it didn't blow my mind like many reviews said. We had great time but it was not just as memorable as I expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- opentablefanVIPDined on 9/28/2014The food was good- not really authentic Italian. The tables are too close together- the servers were constantly bumping my wife's chair as they served the next table. The service was terrible. Our server took our order and never checked back with us. The wine person (in no way, shape or form can she be called a sommelier) was not to be seen either. I had to reach into the cooler to pour our wine myself. All in all a disappointing dining experience.
- ExcellentAlexVIPDined on 9/28/2014Amazing menu--it's always a good sign when I have a hard time deciding what to order because so many things look good. And the food itself did not disappoint. The room is beautiful and well suited to a special occasion. The service was generally attentive but occasionally lagged. Otherwise, a great meal and I look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AliAlimVIPDined on 9/28/2014Great experience. Thank you. Notable dishes were the uni and anchovy starter and the pasta with octopus. Excellent cheeses as well (especially the blue).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of NYC's best!morazanmDined on 9/28/2014The minimalist decor is sublime and charming. Then there is the food that was simply excellent! It was all served in warm dishes with a presentation worthy of a magazine shoot. We had the Spanish mackerel and the grilled octopus for starters both of which were perfectly cooked. As our mains we had the fusilli and the branzino. Both were excellent, but the fusilli is, deservedly, one of their signature dishes. The freshly made fusilli with octupus and marrow is, perhaps, an unexpected combination that simply works. It was all seasoned to perfection. For dessert the semi froddo was divine with just the right amount of crunch and chocolate as part of the dish. Overall, I consider Marea one of the best restaurants in NYC.Special Features:
- Excellent Foodlive2eatVIPDined on 9/28/2014The food is delicious and is prepared in some delightful ways.Special Features:
- j2mdVIPDined on 9/28/2014Pleasant setting. Seafood dishes were very good. The tagliata (ordered the sirloin medium rare) was well-done, dry and tasteless. Service was slow. All in all, not up to expectations.