240 Central Park South
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marea-nyc.com/
- Phone: 2125825100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm ; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch - Saturday and Sunday 11:30 - 2:30
(daily limited bar menu from 2:30 till dinner)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Jared Gadbaw
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Marea offers a private dining space that seats up to 16ppl. In addition, we have a space that can seat up to 30ppl, and a lounge that can seat up to 28ppl.
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Stadmeyer 2125825100
- Cross Street: Broadway
- Public Transit: Marea is located near Columbus Circle, a hub for the A, B, C, D and 1 subways lines. One block east and one block south at 57th St. and 7th Ave guests may utilize either the N, Q, R, W subway lines.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Central Parking Systems, 345 West 58th Street (Between 8th and 9th Avenue). To reserve parking at Central Parking System at the Time Warner Center, please call CenterCharge (212-721-6500). Patrons can reserve either matinee (10am - 6pm) or evening (4pm - midnight) spots. Parking fees are $35 for Sun-Wed and $36 for Thu-Sat. Patrons can reserve up until 3pm the day before for matinee performances, and 3pm the day of for evening performances.
A word from Marea
Marea Ristorante, located in one of Manhattans most storied addresses, features Chef Michael White's ode to Italian seafood. From his trademark handmade pastas to his fresh crudo and whole fish, Chef White is committed to reinventing the notion of seafood in New York.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Marea reviews from OpenTable diners
654 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (432)fit for foodies (416)notable wine list (299)romantic (211)great for lunch (152)hot spot (135)neighborhood gem (103)good for groups (81)vibrant bar scene (63)great for brunch (39)late-night find (32)scenic view (19)great for outdoor dining (14)kid-friendly (13)Show More
- StobesDined on 10/29/2014The Sea Bass was perhaps the best fish dish I have had (of many). The chocolate desert was superb. However the bread quality was questionable.Special Features:
- Fantástic as usualCa11FoDined on 10/27/2014Was my 4 time at Marea. The quality of the food and the service are really fantastic.Special Features:
- Best meal ever!!LIFoodLoverDined on 10/27/2014This was one of the most memorable meals I have ever had. From the perfect Mimosa to start, to the phenomenal lobster burrata and foie gras appetizers to the sensational gnochetti to the unforgettable scallops to the delectable crostini, each course was perfectly executed and oh so delicious. Great service from the impeccable wait staff. Bravo!! Bravo!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/27/2014My wife and I had a glorious lunch. Everything was superb, but her roasted chicken and my octopus first course were exceptional. One of our best dining experiences in NYC.Special Features:
- Espetacular RestauranteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Servico excepcional, comida inesquecivel e fantastcia carta de vinhosSpecial Features:
- The octopus pasta.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/26/2014The mythological pasta is well worthed the pilgrimage. Our server was outregiously knowledgeable and super kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ItalianCJLondonDined on 10/26/2014Wonderful food. This wasa superb find for visitors from London UK on a Sunday evening. Innovative Italian cooking and a superb raw (crudo) fish selection on the menu. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- A regular favouritedvyyDined on 10/26/2014Pastas, appetisers and desserts are always good. Have not tried too many of the mains. Service a little slow at times. Great ambience and setting.Special Features:
- MareaBarbaraVIPDined on 10/26/2014I had a bad experience at Marea a while back and have avoided it since then. We decided to try again for lunch and, while it's not spectacular, it was quite good. They had a gluten-free warmed bread which was quiite good and I always appreciate the effort. Unremarkable salad; butternut squash that desperately needed seasoning (squash was fine and not overly sweet but somehow no other ingredient was evidence and the squash was underseasoned); but the funghi risotto was truly excellent -- flavorful and cooked well. My friends' had various fish - John Dory and sea bass which were very good. Our server wasn't very friendly or attentive but, otherwise, feeling better about Marea!Special Features:
- from sea to shining seaHurstdocVIPDined on 10/25/2014This restaurant is a must for people who love all manner of seafood. There are so many original dishes with combinations of fish and other ingredients that you would not expect to be put together. Lots of unusual and tasty foods that are not seen in many restaurants-like duck sausage. Everything is beautifully served and plated. The wait staff is attentive without being hovering and overbearing. We enjoyed a long and leisurely tasting dinner for my daughter's birthday and she was thrilled by the food and dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food, serviceCMH27VIPDined on 10/25/2014Took my wife for her 40th. We both agreed our meal was the best we can remember. The seafood dishes, pasta and even homemade bread were delicious. The aged steak was the best I have had, better than all the steak houses I have been to in NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DixmeisterVIPDined on 10/24/2014Consistently the best meal in town. The pasta was just great and the service could not be more attentive yet not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great contemporary flairnotmagicalVIPDined on 10/23/2014I booked the reservation for Marea several weeks in advance and could only get 8:45 on a Thursday night. It was well worth the late dinner and people were still coming in and being seated for dinner well into 10pm. The food was outstanding. We did the pre-fixe. Next time i will do the wine pairing as well.Special Features:
- Absolutely WonderfulRunner1948VIPDined on 10/23/2014Marea is a keeper! Each course was memorable, especially the Capesante, the scallops. It was simply the best preparation of scallops we have ever had. Service was excellent, personal and professional. We will return often!Special Features:
- Bad ServiceLulaDined on 10/22/2014We had to wait 15min. for our table. I asked them before hand to bring a dessert with a candle because it was my Dad's birthday and they didn't bring anything. I saw other candles to other tables but not ours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- .NOT WHAT WE EXPECTEDFletch44Dined on 10/21/2014Extremely disappointing. Not one dish was memorable, including the spaghettin and the Branzino that others have raved about. Service was spotty.
- Lived up to hypeLateSeviceVIPDined on 10/21/2014We received excellent service for our tight time frame to get to the theatre. We had two different seafood pastas with some outstanding wine by the glass. The waiter was very helpful with the wine selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I EXPECTED SOME MORE.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2014I visited Marea for the first time, and even though I can say that is a real nice place, with good ambiance and outstanding service, unfortunately I was not completely satisfied with the food. I asked for oysters on the Shell and a rissotto i mare, and it was good but far away of what you can expect from a Relais Chateau.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2014Overpriced;small portions;good bread; otherwise overrated
- Great Setting, Service. Food: MehkshillingDined on 10/18/2014I really wanted to love Marea. I really did. We got reservations on a Saturday night. The place was beautiful. Loved the dining room, serviceware, setting. The waitstaff was outstanding. But the food? Disappointed. Sorry. We had been to Babbo the day before and I guess I was expecting food that blew me away. All the starters we ordered were disappointing in flavor. I ordered the Branzino which basically had no flavor and was a little dry. I had better Branzino in Chicago.I also had the pasta with clams and chili pepper, which I had at Babbo the day before (and it blew my head off it was so good). The dish at Marea? Not even close. It's super expensive (which would have been all right had the food been special). Won't go back.Special Features:
- Beautiful room, beautiful fooddiner4everVIPDined on 10/18/2014This restaurant was terrific! Most Michelin star places get a chip on their shoulders and for me, it makes the whole experience unpleasant but Marea exhibits none of that supercilious attitude. From the moment you enter, they greet you warmly and the entire staff is professional but friendly. I must admit that I was surprised at how reasonable the prices are for a two-star Michelin ( don't raise them now!). I have paid much more and gotten much less. Every course was well composed, interesting and delicious. The sommelier knew his list and made some excellent recommendations.The waitstaff was attentive, but not overbearing--just right. We had a wonderful time there and it is an homage to San Domenico even if it was not intended to be.Special Features:
- StellarMadMikeDined on 10/18/2014Fantastic all around, may very well have been the best meal of my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place!!JimKellyFloridaDined on 10/18/2014If you want a top notch meal and great service this is the place. Pricey but more than worth every cent!! Food is amazing. Staff is wonderful!! The 4 course meal was absolutely delicious and left you wanting more of everything! Totally full by the time the desert course was served. Got us out in time for our play as well!Special Features:
- it's the bestopinionatedinnycVIPDined on 10/17/2014In NYC, only Jean Georges is its equal.. Right out of La Dolce Vita--updated to the 21st centurySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb and UniqueqshipDined on 10/17/2014Our group of 4 all found this restaurant experience to be superb and the food was uniquely outstanding. Would absolutely consider the Marea again when we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/17/2014Marea is known to be one of the best restaurants in NYC but our experience was at best ordinary. We both had 1/2 portions of pasta dishes as appetizers which were good but just ordinary. The Dover sole was excellent which it better have been for the $76 I was charged. My spouse had halibut which was very good and not nearly as expensive. We had tiramisu for dessert which again like the appetizers - just ordinary. My overall impression was OK food but both terribly overpriced and overrated.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014The dishes overall were flavorful and artfully presented, however the branzino filet was surprisingly tough and difficult to cut and chew. I was disappointed, considering the very fine reputation of Marea and high expectation of excellence, especially with respect to a popular dish. I probably will not return.
- Goooooood!wickedposhDined on 10/17/2014It was my first try of michelin starred restaurant in us and it didnt dissappointed me:) i tried lobster and fusili there and both of them were good! i would like to come back here definitelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For a-fish-ionatosOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/15/2014Food was great as always, and the place was fully booked yet not noisy. Service was excellent. The prix fixe menu includes excellent selections from the standard menu, and the crudo selections are all heavenly. A really good selection of wines by the glass and a very helpful somelmelier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelent!AndrewDined on 10/15/2014Its one of the best restaurants i have been, the service is amaizing and everything was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For seafood lovers, a mustWonderfulWinoVIPDined on 10/15/2014From crudo to seafood pastas to main dishes, always a hit. Desert needs some work but is not that integral to the seafood bacchanale. Outstanding wine list for all tastes and all budgets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You want Italian seafood?OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/15/2014Consistently good food, attentive and obliging service Marea is the place for gret Italian style seafood in NYC. Location can't be beat right by Central Park South. Michael White group still has kept its service standards even after these years and expansion. The lunch pre fix at under $50 is a steal and the place is still looking new and service isn't stuffy!Special Features:
- TaxmanDined on 10/14/2014Food is consistently excellent. Service, this time, fell down. They forgot the amuse bouche, we had to ask for it when we saw it arrive at another table after our first course. We had to ask for more bread, etc. However, it was a birthday celebration, and they remembered to bring a candle and an extra complimentary dessert without prompting, and gave us a great table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great eveningukfoodiesDined on 10/14/2014My nephew and I had dinner at Marea Tuesday 14 October. Neither of us had been there before, and so there was an air of expectancy from us. It is a large restaurant and was almost full on our arrival. It was very noisy, but this did not detract on the meal, to my relief. We chose the 6 course tasting menu with paired wines. The food was excellent, flavoured well and with good textures. The paired wines went well and to my surprise, one of the white wines was Greek, not normally considered by me to sit in the same exalted company of the normal suspects! The staff and service were excellent. We both had a most enjoyable evening. I rate the meal 9 out of 10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceTP3012Dined on 10/13/2014My second visit to Marea was once again a great experience. Great menu of high quality good and excellent wine. Staff was very friendly and peofessionalSpecial Features:
- The good, the bad and the uglymagicmikeDined on 10/13/2014the food here was great and the price fixe was reasonable for what you got. Branzino baked in salt was excellent. The problem was the music was loud and totally inappropriate for a restaurant of this caliber and the tables were entirely too close together so that neighboring conversations were inordinately loud and distracting. They definitely know how to prepare great pasta, but the ambience left a lot to be desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, minuscule portionsEvacDined on 10/13/2014The preparation of the food is very good but the portion sizes do not justify the prices.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Extremely pretentious. If you a seafood expert you'll like it, otherwise, avoidSpecial Features:
- Very good/FishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014For fish lovers otherwise would not recommend. The food was very good, different. The service very good too. I recommend.Special Features:
- Outstanding in every way24534653465Dined on 10/11/2014Loved this place, the crab and urchin pasta was great, almost makes you feel like you are scuba diving in foodieland. The fish was fresh and perfectly cooked crispy outside and moist and tender inside. All 4 of us enjoyed each part of our meals. Service was great, attentive to food allergies. Wine was amazing, the sommelier's recommendations were outstanding and not too expensive. Definitely try if you are in NYC!Special Features: