240 Central Park South
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marea-nyc.com/
- Phone: 2125825100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm ; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch - Saturday and Sunday 11:30 - 2:30
(daily limited bar menu from 2:30 till dinner)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Jared Gadbaw
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Marea offers a private dining space that seats up to 16ppl. In addition, we have a space that can seat up to 30ppl, and a lounge that can seat up to 28ppl.
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Stadmeyer 2125825100
- Cross Street: Broadway
- Public Transit: Marea is located near Columbus Circle, a hub for the A, B, C, D and 1 subways lines. One block east and one block south at 57th St. and 7th Ave guests may utilize either the N, Q, R, W subway lines.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Central Parking Systems, 345 West 58th Street (Between 8th and 9th Avenue). To reserve parking at Central Parking System at the Time Warner Center, please call CenterCharge (212-721-6500). Patrons can reserve either matinee (10am - 6pm) or evening (4pm - midnight) spots. Parking fees are $35 for Sun-Wed and $36 for Thu-Sat. Patrons can reserve up until 3pm the day before for matinee performances, and 3pm the day of for evening performances.
A word from Marea
Marea Ristorante, located in one of Manhattans most storied addresses, features Chef Michael White's ode to Italian seafood. From his trademark handmade pastas to his fresh crudo and whole fish, Chef White is committed to reinventing the notion of seafood in New York.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Marea reviews from OpenTable diners
652 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (445)fit for foodies (422)notable wine list (289)romantic (229)great for lunch (159)hot spot (126)neighborhood gem (91)good for groups (76)vibrant bar scene (57)great for brunch (43)late-night find (31)scenic view (22)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (8)Show More
- good food, good serviceGogogmacVIPDined on 9/29/2014I had the famous " Fusilli". Yes, it was very good, but it didn't blow my mind like many reviews said. We had great time but it was not just as memorable as I expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/28/2014The food was good- not really authentic Italian. The tables are too close together- the servers were constantly bumping my wife's chair as they served the next table. The service was terrible. Our server took our order and never checked back with us. The wine person (in no way, shape or form can she be called a sommelier) was not to be seen either. I had to reach into the cooler to pour our wine myself. All in all a disappointing dining experience.
- AliAlimVIPDined on 9/28/2014Great experience. Thank you. Notable dishes were the uni and anchovy starter and the pasta with octopus. Excellent cheeses as well (especially the blue).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/28/2014The food is delicious and is prepared in some delightful ways.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/27/2014I was very disappointed in the very slow and inattentive service. Marea has good food, but it is not food you can't get elsewhere for a quarter of the price. You pay for the service and ambiance. It was definitely not there sadly. Noone was nearby when we needed water, wine, bread, etc. the bill took forever. Our bloody marys took forever. The waitress was way too informal and never apologetic for the slowness. Not at all the fine dining experience I expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/27/2014We originally tried to get a dinner reservation but were unable to get a time that worked with our schedule for the day. The person in the phone suggested coming in for lunch and we sure are glad we did. The atmosphere was lovely. The restaurant is classy and warmly decorated. The service was impeccable and every recommendation our server had was spot in. We cannot wait to go back. I can only imagine the dinner menu bit lunch was perfect for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in NYBetinaVIPDined on 9/26/2014We had the burratina and the octopus for appetizer an I had the pasta with clams and octopus that was great! The gnochis were very good . I will return !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014Great food. Would definitely come back. Best food in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The restaurant deserve it's name. Best pasta ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KiskutyaVIPDined on 9/26/2014Lovely setting, terrific service, delicious food. Every experience at this restaurant a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wondrful restaurantloveditVIPDined on 9/25/2014read it was the best italian restaurant and was not disappointed. The food was excellent. We had the 4 course meal. We ordered the least expensive wine and it was very good. I suspect that everything there is exceptionally good.Special Features:
- None bettercostosVIPDined on 9/25/2014Marea has never failed to provide us with the finest dining experience imaginable. Though we had a 5:30 reservation we arrived earlier and decided to dine at the bar since we had a 7:30 curtain at the opera. Without going into detail, we selected our own tasting menu, shared various dishes (which the kitchen split when it was appropriate), and Samuel, the most excellent and cordial bartender, selected wines for each course (which were also split - one glass for the two of us). The food was uniformly brilliant. We enjoyed the experience so much that we stopped in after the opera around 11:30 for a nightcap! Another memorable evening at Marea!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be sure to go at least once a monthMrNoisePoliceDined on 9/25/2014This was my third visit in three months. Flawless service. Fine by the glass wine selection. Legendary appetizers and entrees. Unhurried. We stayed from 1:30pm to 3:30 pm. Very courteous and friendly greeting, coat check and bar service while waiting for my lunch companion. Will try to continue the once a month schedule. Honored my request for a corner table.Special Features:
- Best Fusilli EverJmormoDined on 9/25/2014This Rest Have the best Pasta, Fusilli With Octupus and Bone Marrow in Red Wine, is the Star in the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014If you´re a gourmet, you´re absolutely right in this place! The food really was outstanding! There is only one BUT... the receptionist wouldn´t dare to smile, not a single time. For me, it doesn´t make you feel welcome, when you enter a nice restaurant, which is on top, quite expensive and the receptionist would look at you, like you should better turn around and leave!Special Features:
- Great menu of seafoodX116tiDined on 9/24/2014I was there to celebrate my girlfriend birthday. There were many different seafood dishes. It was hard to decide which one to order because all of them are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingmarkinsaratogaDined on 9/24/2014We had heard good things and assumed a Michelin 2 star rating implied an exceptional experience; we were disappointed. Dispassionate greeting and service, food delivered and described incoherently by not well trained dining room assistants. The food was good but not stellar, decent authentic Italian cuisine trying to copy the tasting menu stars but not well. An stand out exception to the otherwise lack luster meal was the goat's milk caramel panna cotta with melon granite, they got that one right.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/23/2014The food was just outstanding. Both my guest and I was simply delighted. Marea will definitely be a restaurant we come back to. Thank you for a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a place...iGabbayDined on 9/23/2014Great foodie experience. We took the seafood tasting menu and loved every part of the 5 course journey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MasikDined on 9/22/2014Amazingly delicious squash soup. Ravioli with ricotta were out of this world. I wouldn't order their crude. Octopus is probably #3 in the city.Special Features:
- Best Italian seafood in New YorkRaulVIPDined on 9/21/2014One of the best Italian seafood in Manhattan Really outstanding. Also with a great location across from the parkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- didnt make the grade.Heyup38Dined on 9/20/2014Came highly recommended, but I have to say my expectations weren't met.......for the price I've had better. Not that it was bad, it just wasn't good enough. Dessert was the highlight for me, but then again I wouldn't pick a restaurant on its dessert menu. Shame, with so much choice in NY I wont be coming back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful dining experience.AnExpatWifeDined on 9/20/2014I had high hopes of fabulous food and was not disappointed at all. As we expected they were very busy with a high turnover on the tables. Watching the staff change the table as soon as the customers had left was like watching a well practiced dance routine. The staff almost glided in and everything was cleared and the table re-set up in under 2 minutes.Our waitress - Elisabet, was charming, very smily and helpful. She swiftly arranged a glass of champagne and a beer which were quickly followed by a chef's amuse bounce of grilled mackerel. There isn't enough space here for my whole review - you can read it here with photos. http://www.anexpatwife.com/the-restaurant-blog/marea-nyc-two-michelin-star-diningSpecial Features:
- FantasticjdongbangVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had a birthday lunch here and ordered the tasting menu. It included the lobster burrata, uni pasta and the scallops that everyone raves about so it was a great deal. Chef White did an amazing job of balancing hearty Italian with delicate seafood. Service was great in the dining room- one of the hostesses was unfriendly showing us to the table but she was quickly forgotten.
- underwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Very expensive and very small portions. The waitress was bland and not very personable. The food was very good
- Luxury diningShelrockyDined on 9/18/2014It was a great dining experience, and the service was splendid. A great scenic view as well as wonderful ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sofisticated but not complicated!!!AmustogoinnycDined on 9/17/2014Amazing food and ambience. Kind and atencious service and great wine choices! Absolutely a must try in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and yet classic in optionsGermanMoyerVIPDined on 9/17/2014Excellent fresh produce, fillings, sauces and textures for fantastic seafood array of sea urchin, oysters, scallops, fish, lobster....and fresh filled pasta options with tidbits of fun pickled vegetables, along with dry roasted beef and lamb. Fall in full bloom. The Italian wine list is superb. Desserts include a great chocolate and black/ green olives tart. BRAVO!!!!Special Features:
- For Business and PleasureFoodistDined on 9/17/2014I recently had lunch at Marea with a colleague. The restaurant is lovely and the design takes great advantage of the natural sunlight and view of Central Park. The space is large but not at all cavernous and somehow feels intimate. There was a big lunch crowd which was a mix of professionals in suits, couples, and groups of friends. The menu had a number of varied choices but was not overwhelmingly so. The servers were extremely professional and attentive and the courses were brought out in a timely fashion. The food was wonderful and the portions were the perfect size for lunch. The kitchen pays particular attention to details that result in dishes that are well-balanced in flavor and beautifully-plated.Special Features:
- MimaDined on 9/16/2014Exellent food and service every time we visited Marea. Allways a great pleasureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- almost...alzeVIPDined on 9/16/2014Awesome food and atmosphere. Service is slightly off. Otherwise worth the wait. We return on a regular basisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Fish, Excellent DiningwigstheoneVIPDined on 9/16/2014Had lunch on a recent Tuesday. While not inexpensive, the prix fixe menu offers relatively good value. Had the Passera (fluke crudo) to start, which was light, fresh and delicious. Then had the Spigola Nera (black sea bass) as an entree, which was expertly prepared. As an aside, the foccacia is best avoided, as it is addictive. Service was good, but a little too standoffish/busy to match the cuisine.Special Features:
- snapVIPDined on 9/15/2014This was my third time at the restaurant and I have never been disappointed. We ordered the ricci which was rich and fabulous. The lobster and burrata was a wonderful appetizer, followed by the strozzapreti-pasta with crab and sea urchin-rich, hearty, and delicious. Our server recommended a wonderful wine that matched our wishes in price and flavor. Since it was my birthday, we were presented with a second terrific dessert. This is a special occasion restaurant to go to again and again.Special Features:
- A Wonderful afternoon!HJU424Dined on 9/15/2014Marea was exellent--we were first shown a table for our party of six in the back which was not bad--but when I spoke to the Maitre D he changed our table to the main dining room (which is more for celebrity sightings--like Leslie Stahl (the correspondent). The atmosphere and service are wonderful--WE had salad and I had a squash soup with shrimp that I loved (portions are small, but imaginable.) OUr main dishes were mostly fish-like halibut with almonds, or mackeral, or a delicious pasta,etc. We ended with three "golfball" size scoops of outstanding gelato and coffee or tea. A delightful, memorable experience (our 2nd time there) and we shall return. HJUSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snob servicefemartiniDined on 9/15/2014The food from Michel White is amazing, but, unfortunately, the staff is very snob, treating poorly the clients. It´s a italian restaurant with a french service, what´s bad. From the hostess to the waiter everybody is nasty and don´t seem to try to give you a good experience. However, the food should definitely be tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good foodEmilioVIPDined on 9/14/2014Marea it's been a really good restaurant for a long time, the Always keek the quality of food and service, I've been there many times and it's awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!NYCLuverDined on 9/14/2014My husband and I dined at Marea this past week. The location has a great view being right across from Central Park. The server was friendly and down-to-earth. The food was excellent. What a relaxing dining experience. We loved it. During the apps, they brought a grilled octopus (on the house). It was one of the best things we'd ever eaten. Thank you Marea.Special Features:
- Lunch Tasting MenuCrunchyFriesVIPDined on 9/13/2014I have been to Marea a few times for dinner (always amazing) and was taking a first time guest for lunch. We decided on the 5 course seafood tasting menu with wine pairings, which I would highly recommend to all. You get to try 4 amazing dishes with the last course being a dessert. The seafood is so fresh and every dish is delicately prepared. The service is also top-notch and elevates the overall dining experience. Marea is one of my all-time favorites and I will continue to sing its praises as long as they keep the crab and uni pasta on the menu =)Special Features:
- Awesome restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/13/2014We've been here several times and it's one of our favorite restaurant in the city! Fuscilli is a dish that everyone must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable.AdacostaDined on 9/12/2014My second time here, with almost three years in between. The first one, was a walk in, with no other reference than the crowded bar and the very nice host at the door. This time, an intended choice for a family dinner. And, once again, excellent and imaginative food, perfect service, enticing wine list. Can't ask for more. A bit noisy, maybe, but others would call it a vibrant scene, particularly at the bar. if you want a quieter setting, ask for a table at the back of the restaurant; if you like vibrant, check the tables right by the bar. Very well deserved two stars by Michelin, full five stars on my Open Table rating.Special Features: