240 Central Park South
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marea-nyc.com/
- Phone: 2125825100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm ; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch - Saturday and Sunday 11:30 - 2:30
(daily limited bar menu from 2:30 till dinner)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Jared Gadbaw
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Marea offers a private dining space that seats up to 16ppl. In addition, we have a space that can seat up to 30ppl, and a lounge that can seat up to 28ppl.
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Stadmeyer 2125825100
- Cross Street: Broadway
- Public Transit: Marea is located near Columbus Circle, a hub for the A, B, C, D and 1 subways lines. One block east and one block south at 57th St. and 7th Ave guests may utilize either the N, Q, R, W subway lines.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Central Parking Systems, 345 West 58th Street (Between 8th and 9th Avenue). To reserve parking at Central Parking System at the Time Warner Center, please call CenterCharge (212-721-6500). Patrons can reserve either matinee (10am - 6pm) or evening (4pm - midnight) spots. Parking fees are $35 for Sun-Wed and $36 for Thu-Sat. Patrons can reserve up until 3pm the day before for matinee performances, and 3pm the day of for evening performances.
A word from Marea
Marea Ristorante, located in one of Manhattans most storied addresses, features Chef Michael White's ode to Italian seafood. From his trademark handmade pastas to his fresh crudo and whole fish, Chef White is committed to reinventing the notion of seafood in New York.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Marea reviews from OpenTable diners
659 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (458)fit for foodies (433)notable wine list (299)romantic (244)great for lunch (161)hot spot (120)neighborhood gem (91)good for groups (78)vibrant bar scene (53)great for brunch (49)late-night find (27)scenic view (24)great for outdoor dining (10)kid-friendly (9)Show More
- Creative and yet classic in optionsGermanMoyerVIPDined on 9/17/2014Excellent fresh produce, fillings, sauces and textures for fantastic seafood array of sea urchin, oysters, scallops, fish, lobster....and fresh filled pasta options with tidbits of fun pickled vegetables, along with dry roasted beef and lamb. Fall in full bloom. The Italian wine list is superb. Desserts include a great chocolate and black/ green olives tart. BRAVO!!!!Special Features:
- almost...alzeDined on 9/16/2014Awesome food and atmosphere. Service is slightly off. Otherwise worth the wait. We return on a regular basisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Fish, Excellent DiningwigstheoneVIPDined on 9/16/2014Had lunch on a recent Tuesday. While not inexpensive, the prix fixe menu offers relatively good value. Had the Passera (fluke crudo) to start, which was light, fresh and delicious. Then had the Spigola Nera (black sea bass) as an entree, which was expertly prepared. As an aside, the foccacia is best avoided, as it is addictive. Service was good, but a little too standoffish/busy to match the cuisine.Special Features:
- snapVIPDined on 9/15/2014This was my third time at the restaurant and I have never been disappointed. We ordered the ricci which was rich and fabulous. The lobster and burrata was a wonderful appetizer, followed by the strozzapreti-pasta with crab and sea urchin-rich, hearty, and delicious. Our server recommended a wonderful wine that matched our wishes in price and flavor. Since it was my birthday, we were presented with a second terrific dessert. This is a special occasion restaurant to go to again and again.Special Features:
- A Wonderful afternoon!HJU424Dined on 9/15/2014Marea was exellent--we were first shown a table for our party of six in the back which was not bad--but when I spoke to the Maitre D he changed our table to the main dining room (which is more for celebrity sightings--like Leslie Stahl (the correspondent). The atmosphere and service are wonderful--WE had salad and I had a squash soup with shrimp that I loved (portions are small, but imaginable.) OUr main dishes were mostly fish-like halibut with almonds, or mackeral, or a delicious pasta,etc. We ended with three "golfball" size scoops of outstanding gelato and coffee or tea. A delightful, memorable experience (our 2nd time there) and we shall return. HJUSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snob serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014The food from Michel White is amazing, but, unfortunately, the staff is very snob, treating poorly the clients. It´s a italian restaurant with a french service, what´s bad. From the hostess to the waiter everybody is nasty and don´t seem to try to give you a good experience. However, the food should definitely be tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good foodEmilioVIPDined on 9/14/2014Marea it's been a really good restaurant for a long time, the Always keek the quality of food and service, I've been there many times and it's awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014My husband and I dined at Marea this past week. The location has a great view being right across from Central Park. The server was friendly and down-to-earth. The food was excellent. What a relaxing dining experience. We loved it. During the apps, they brought a grilled octopus (on the house). It was one of the best things we'd ever eaten. Thank you Marea.Special Features:
- Lunch Tasting MenuCrunchyFriesVIPDined on 9/13/2014I have been to Marea a few times for dinner (always amazing) and was taking a first time guest for lunch. We decided on the 5 course seafood tasting menu with wine pairings, which I would highly recommend to all. You get to try 4 amazing dishes with the last course being a dessert. The seafood is so fresh and every dish is delicately prepared. The service is also top-notch and elevates the overall dining experience. Marea is one of my all-time favorites and I will continue to sing its praises as long as they keep the crab and uni pasta on the menu =)Special Features:
- Awesome restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/13/2014We've been here several times and it's one of our favorite restaurant in the city! Fuscilli is a dish that everyone must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable.AdacostaDined on 9/12/2014My second time here, with almost three years in between. The first one, was a walk in, with no other reference than the crowded bar and the very nice host at the door. This time, an intended choice for a family dinner. And, once again, excellent and imaginative food, perfect service, enticing wine list. Can't ask for more. A bit noisy, maybe, but others would call it a vibrant scene, particularly at the bar. if you want a quieter setting, ask for a table at the back of the restaurant; if you like vibrant, check the tables right by the bar. Very well deserved two stars by Michelin, full five stars on my Open Table rating.Special Features:
- PammyVIPDined on 9/12/2014All hype! Nothing special. Service excellent. Menu interesting. Presentation fair. Wouldn't bother going backn
- Fantastic dining experiencePheasantPharmerDined on 9/12/2014Had the 8-course tasting menu. Two words: pace yourself! Also budget a good three hours. For New York, a bargain at $150 per person. Service as impeccable as the food. Memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not interestedLetdownDined on 9/11/2014I emailed them twice to let them know that we were coming from Australia to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday. We requested a nice table and to make the experience a special one. They didn't acknowledge our email and were NOT INTERESTED. We were placed in the bar dining area at the back of the restaurant and not even in the main dining area. I thought the whole experience was a let down even though the food was acceptable. This is our 5th visit to NYC and have never experienced such abandonment in a restaurant and will make sure that we WILL NOT be recommending this restaurant to any of our friends and family who visit NYC quite regularly. Pathetic.
- CarisOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2014Excelent food, waiter and somelier not very friendly. Great waiter helpers. I always return to this restaurant. The captain and somelier could improve their actitude towards clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food overlooking the ParkKauaiVIPDined on 9/11/2014This is a outstanding place with food to die for. I had the two course business mans lunch consisting of the Octopus appetizer and the Halibut main course. I would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Good but not enough for priceLJD4VIPDined on 9/10/2014Some of the food was excellent, some just good, some not good enough. Halibut was overcooked, A beautiful piece of fish but dry. Pricey and not particularly good wine list.Special Features:
- Michael White ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/9/2014From the moment that you are greeted by the host, George, you know that this will be an exceptional dining experience. He turns you over to a talented and attentive service team, including the wine stewart, Liz, who may navigate you through the impressive wine selection. The food is excellent, and the evening flows delightfully in the capable hands of the Marea team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FerrazDined on 9/9/2014Whenever we're in NY we always come to Marea...and it's just perfect! Place, food and service are impecable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingCarlbeltDined on 9/8/2014I took my wife at Marea for her Birthday, service was on point, food was extraordinary, overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingAbcdVIPDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I have been going to Marea about once a month since the start of the year. Our experience is consistently fantastic - great food, courteous, friendly and attentive service with great atmosphere. I highly recommend Marea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularJulioVenezuelaDined on 9/6/2014No words to describe the excelent service and food, if you like the desserts i recommended you the carameloSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014A special dining experience; one of the very best in NYC. Bravo!Special Features:
- SIMPLY OUTSTANDING!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014This has to be one of our favorite dining places in New York (or maybe anywhere!) The octopus is "as advertised"! Tender, but slightly crusty outside, tasty and presented very lovely. Fish selections, including my cobia, with a delicious bean sauce, and my husband's flaky halibut were wonderful. Our waiter was very knowledgeable of menu as well as an outstanding wine selection. Never felt rushed, but always cared for. Wonderful experience!Special Features:
- great!CatbDined on 9/5/2014Recommended and we were not disappointed. Caring staff, delicious food, wonderful!Special Features:
- THE BEST MEAL EVER!MarieVIPDined on 9/5/2014Have eaten in Le Bernardin, the 4 Seasons, Le Perigord, La Grenouille and the lamented La Cote Basque, and in London, Paris and Vienna several times. What is the point of that list? -That when I tell you that this was the best meal ever I do know what I'm saying. A friend took me there for lunch for my birthday Friday. The room is visually clean but not dull. Our water MARK was wonderful, anticipating every need and taking EXCELLENT care of us without being intrusive. Even the bus man and woman were genuinely gracious and welcoming. There's just not room enough here to describe the food, which was even better than I imagined it would be. Even the olive oil on the table is custom-sourced from Italy. We both wish we hadn't waited so long.Special Features:
- success causes contempt/rudenessCustomerVIPDined on 9/4/2014michael white makes fantastic food but he has successfully assembled the most rude staff in ny all of the restaurants appear to have gone to rudeness training for the staff we arrived early for a 8.30 reservation the front desk guy said you are early!!!!! ok i said but he said we will seat you now they moved us to a table in the bar next to the service station. it was my wife 65 birthday!!! asked to be moved to the main room since i had made a reservation a month in advance ...this rude arrogant guy said wait......i said bar is full ...he said just stand there for 30 minutes ...at the door REALLY not the first time went to other restaurants of white and its the same MAYBE HE doesn't careSpecial Features:
- Incredible food/Outstanding servicediningtigerDined on 9/3/2014The crudo was amazing - some of the freshest fish I've had with the perfect accompaniments. We split three different pastas, and all were fantastic (although the fusilli with octopus and bone marrow deserves a special mention). For the main course the three of us had the sea bass, scallops, and halibut. Each of was thrilled with our selection. The impeccable service - from everybody on staff - made for a perfect evening. I've been to Marea 3 or 4 times over the past six months, but I now plan to make it one of my regular restaurants, as it just keeps getting better and better.Special Features:
- Fantastic Seafood 8miles from OceanPhiWDined on 9/2/2014Having tried to secure a reservation for many years at this fine restaurant, Open Table is now how I will book a Table. The restaurant did not disappoint with creative food presentation, delightful tastes, and refined service.Special Features:
- Great value for lunchMeatloverDined on 9/2/2014Lunch is at a good price, but we went for the 7 course with wine pairing anyway. Not all courses were impressive, the lobster and pasta were nice where the fish carpaccio was a let down. Service was average as I asked for warm water and it never arrived.Special Features:
- Excellent in every wayPichiDined on 9/1/2014This is the best restaurant I have been in New York. The service is so good,the food excellent and the people that where there that night awesome. This I recommend for good to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Menu!MollieDined on 8/31/2014We came here for our 10 year anniversary dinner, and it did not disappoint! Every single thing we ordered on the menu was fantastic. We absolutely plan to go back. Service was top notch as well.Special Features:
- Can't go wrong!JfdorozcoDined on 8/30/2014Marea has to be one of the top Italian restaurants in NYC, if not the best. Their menu is wide and their dishes are very elaborate and interesting. If you want a difference experience with dishes that challenge you and excite you. Marea is the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently wonderful~LunchPatronDined on 8/30/2014One of our favorite places in the area of Columbus Circle. The 4-course $99 fixed-price dinner is a great value; the $24 flute of kir royale is not.Special Features:
- Who does that??NYC333VIPDined on 8/29/2014So Marea is everything people have written here previously. The food is great, as is the service. The problem? While we were waiting for dinner, we had a class of champagne at the bar. My husband witnessed the bar back pour vodka (or whatever clear liquid it was), from a glass on a tray, back into a bottle of Grey Goose. When we had poured half of the glass in, he decided to smell it, and then poured in the remaining amount. This is completely unacceptable in any restaurant, however, it is really unacceptable in a place like this that is not exactly inexpensive.Special Features:
- Pleasant lunch near Central ParkrobbieDined on 8/29/2014Marea lives up to their status as Michelin recommended restaurant. if they can serve lunch a bit faster that would be perfect.Special Features:
- Elegant and deliciouspaprikajVIPDined on 8/29/2014We chose Marea to celebrate our anniversary and we were not disappointed. Once again, each bite was a joy. We love the beautiful dining room. We were also very pleased that our request for a table b the window was honored and when we asked to turn the AC down, the waiter was able to make us much more comfortable. It was a lovely meal and and the huckleberry tart was sublime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good atmosphere with good foodAdrianoDined on 8/28/2014Good Food, nice atmosphere with elegance but feels comfortable. Highly recommended when you want to eat well in the company of someone special.Special Features:
- Year after yearOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014My wide and I go to Marea for our anniversary every year. It never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top SpotLaFleurVIPDined on 8/25/2014We've eaten here many times and it is consistently the best restaurant in Manhattan (and beyond). World class on every level, and definitely worth the expense. Already looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.