240 Central Park South
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marea-nyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 582-5100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm ; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch - Saturday and Sunday 11:30 - 2:30
(daily limited bar menu from 2:30 till dinner)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Jared Gadbaw
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Marea offers a private dining space that seats up to 16ppl. In addition, we have a space that can seat up to 30ppl, and a lounge that can seat up to 28ppl.
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Stadmeyer 2125825100
- Cross Street: Broadway
- Public Transit: Marea is located near Columbus Circle, a hub for the A, B, C, D and 1 subways lines. One block east and one block south at 57th St. and 7th Ave guests may utilize either the N, Q, R, W subway lines.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Central Parking Systems, 345 West 58th Street (Between 8th and 9th Avenue). To reserve parking at Central Parking System at the Time Warner Center, please call CenterCharge (212-721-6500). Patrons can reserve either matinee (10am - 6pm) or evening (4pm - midnight) spots. Parking fees are $35 for Sun-Wed and $36 for Thu-Sat. Patrons can reserve up until 3pm the day before for matinee performances, and 3pm the day of for evening performances.
A word from Marea
Marea Ristorante, located in one of Manhattans most storied addresses, features Chef Michael White's ode to Italian seafood. From his trademark handmade pastas to his fresh crudo and whole fish, Chef White is committed to reinventing the notion of seafood in New York.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Marea reviews from OpenTable diners
696 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (458)fit for foodies (448)notable wine list (325)romantic (216)great for lunch (161)hot spot (151)neighborhood gem (109)good for groups (85)vibrant bar scene (64)great for brunch (35)late-night find (34)scenic view (14)great for outdoor dining (14)kid-friendly (12)Show More
- PerfectLeonardo84Dined on 11/24/2014All perfect. Fusilli with octopus is the best past in the menu. Wonderfull.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, Disappointing ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/23/2014I decided to take my girlfriend for her 30th birthday to Marea. We arrived 5 minutes before our reservation, but our table wasn't ready until almost 10 min after the reservation time. When we finally got our table we were brought our menu. We waited for a good 10-15 minutes before anyone came to take our drink order. The first person, not our server, finally came by to take our drink order. We then waited about another 5-10 minutes before our server. Normally at a restaurant of this stature they would ask if this is your first time or if you are celebrating something. Our server started by telling us what dishes they were out of, she didn't even tell us her name. One being the monkfish, the dish I had decided on while waiting for service. We decided to go with the prefix menu. I want to say that all the food was amazing. We had oysters to start, the pasta dishes (duck sausage pasta, short rib ravioli), main courses (seabass and sirloin). The issue we had is that as we were started to finish our dishes our server would come by and ask if we were done. Needless to say we felt rushed. Towards the end of the main course I saw our server counting her checks by the front. At the time I didn't think anything of it. Another person not our server took our main course plates and then we waiting another 10 minutes before anyone approached us about our dessert options. This time it was a different server came by and gave us the options to choose from. I asked what happened to our server since we hadn't seen her in about 20 minutes. We were then told that she had been working since the early shift and they let her go home. Personally I have never been to an expensive restaurant and been treated this way. I would understand if she came by and said that they would be changing servers. I told the new server it was my girlfriends birthday and they stuck a candle in her dessert before it arrived. Overall, the food did not disappoint but the service is far from what you would expect.
- top notchCCampbellVIPDined on 11/23/2014incredible place. exceptional food. Well worth the price. Great bar and lighting. Can be romantic if you want it to be ...or a great neighborhood drop in place....will go back forever..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat uneven, but still excellent!FoodieVIPDined on 11/23/2014Went for lunch. Had grilled octopus and several pastas. The octopus was surprisingly overcooked and rubbery. The pastas were absolutely fantastic. Best ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious spot for special occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/23/2014I had brunch here with some friends after wanting to try Marea for years now. I kept waiting for a special occasion and decided I couldn't wait anymore. I'm glad I tried it although the prices are quite high so it does seem fit to be a special-occasion kind of restaurant. The service was excellent. We were well attended to; a server came around twice to offer bread and to take second drink orders; our questions about the menu were answered by a well informed staff member. The housemade olive foccacia is amazing. I got the cuttlefish tagliatette as a primo but found it lacking in flavor, but my friends' big eye tuna and spanick mackerel were delicious. I got the octopus bone-marrow fusilli as my secondo, and it was mind-blowingly good. It is possibly one of my favorite pasta dishes ever. It cannot be improved upon, it was that good. The octopus was tender, the bone marrow was flavorful, the sauce had a great spicy kick and the pasta was perfectly al dente. My friend's sea urchin pasta was also amazing (if you like sea urchin, then this will also blow your mind), but I think the fusilli takes the prize.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Already excited to go back to marea. My husband and I went for our anniversary and had the $99 four course dinner. Every mouthful was delicious but my favorite dish was the langoustines- cooked to perfection! I also recommend the poire Royale off the cocktail menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was awful!melloVIPDined on 11/22/2014We had high expectations and the food met them easily. However, the service was slow, inattentive and actually the waitress outright rude. She actually rolled her eyes when I asked for 1 ice cube in my bloody mary - which I then did not even receive. Took 15 minutes just to get our order for drinks taken and that was because we asked the bread server. She was awful and should be coached or fired! For $200+ lunch I expect MUCH more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Tagliatelle with white truffles!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Whenever I come to New York, I always book in at Marea's. I love their food, it's exquisite! Great ambience, and the service couldn't be better.Special Features:
- Overall nice experienceFoodie1Dined on 11/21/2014Creative food, friendly helpful waitstaff, overall nice experience. 4 course prix fixe for $99 is good buy and sufficient amounts. Bobolini (fresh Donut hole ) dessert impressive! But could have included some sides with the entree instead of making the vegetables and potatoes ala carte. Could have put some more clams in the clam pasta. The tables for 2 are a little too close. Wines by the glass a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite NY restaurantpeacetoallVIPDined on 11/20/2014We have been to Marea many times, as it is our favorite restaurant in the city and hence, our special occasion place. We are knowledgable about wine, but always go with their recommendations and the sommelier has never failed us. The food is great and almost every dish is a delight. We especially love the sashimi crudos to start - they are a must have and displayed beautifully. With all the positives, I would warn you to stay away from the white truffles. They charge too much for way too little, the pasta preparation was bland at best, and the butter overwhelmed the taste of the truffles. We usually splurge once a season on white truffles, at a different place every time, and this was easily the most expensive and worst preparation. I give Marea a pass because of how great everything else was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/20/2014Terrific in all respects. The four-course prix fixe is a bargain at $99.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have five Michelin Starsabcd1234Dined on 11/20/2014Original and unique recipes resulted in creative and super-delicious dishes. Every course was superb, and far better than other first-class restaurants. Our server explained each recipe with enthusiastic detail and offered his recommendations. Nothing could have been better. Marea is certainly the finest of fine dining. However, the small spaces in this small restaurant may reduce the privacy that some might want for a romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 Michelin Stars is a Joke in NY...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/20/2014Marea should not even have 1 star! My wife and I have had the pleasure of dinning in many "true" Michelin 1,2 and 3 star restaurants. Marea is NOT one of them
- Great room, mediocre food and service for lunch.SFFoodieVIPDined on 11/19/2014Fish was overcooked. Waiter was absent. Overall, the food had a level of complexity that was unnecessary.
- South of Cebtral ParkPhiWDined on 11/18/2014This is our second time with the past month to dine at this outstanding Restaurante. If one clamors food from the sea, go no further then Central Park South,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40th birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014First time in New York for my wife's 40th Birthday. Excellent restaurant and they gave my wife a complimentary 40th birthday desert ... Very thoughtful and made her night ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marea ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/18/2014Quite simply the best meal I've ever had in my entire life. 10/10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- S Cenral park gemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/17/2014Excellent, will definitely go back upon next visit to NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value for moneyPhilipDined on 11/17/2014Excellent food. They are offering a business lunch at 49 $. In Europe, would be very hard to vind a two star Michelin restaurant offering meals at this price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JEVNVIPDined on 11/16/2014Marea is by far the best italian Restaurant in NYC .Special Features:
- Amazing foodbeezerVIPDined on 11/15/2014Been here three times now and always end up sitting in the back where the tables are a little too close together for my comfort but service & food are truly amazing. certainly on the pricy side so it is a place for an occasion but the four course is wonderful for that special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian seafood and extensive wine list.DancounsDined on 11/15/2014I was pleasantly surprised with this find! I googled top Italian seafood restaurants in the NYC area, and Marea came up. So, I took a chance and I am so glad I did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Columbus circle attractionStraightstockDined on 11/15/2014This a beautiful setting with first class food. We had other plans and did not enjoy the full impact. Fresh flavors, good food and pretty good service. BIt prices, but no more than other New York restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chic seafood place in new yorkBoniDined on 11/14/2014To find a chic, relaxing ambiance with excellent seafood in New York just stop by MAREA.You will always want to go back! Try the Risotto di mare, one not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/13/2014I often have dinner at Marea, the food is consistently amazing, the ambiance is warm and fancy, but the waiters are always arrogant. Too bad, because it would be te perfect restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marea continues to delightGolem212VIPDined on 11/12/2014Marea is always a treat. It is our go-to special occasion place in Manhattan. The option of gluten-free pasta, the professionalism and courtesy of the sommelier, and the original and exquisitely prepared cuisine make it among New York's absolute best. It's interesting to note that although I had given the sommelier a price range from which to select a wine, he found one that was more appropriate for our entree selections that was below the figure I had quoted. That, plus everything else, contributed to a memorable meal and a sparkling evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014Overpriced, food low quality for a two star. Very disappointed and in my opinion barely a Michelin star restaurant. The biggest waste of $370.Special Features:
- PerfectFooooodVIPDined on 11/12/2014Everything was amazing! Will be returning soon! I had the octopus pasta which was to die for and a Bronzino it was huge for 2 but delicious!!! We also enjoyed the oysters. There was absolutely nothing to complain about! Great as expectedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectBobreitanoVIPDined on 11/11/2014from beginning to end a lovely evening. The food, service, attention, etc. etc. was just perfect. They care and it shows in every aspect of the evening.Special Features:
- Very goodNYCRestaurateurDined on 11/11/2014We came to Marea for lunch and decided to try the 5-course tasting menu with wine pairings for a full experience. Every course was great but nothing really stood out as a knock-out dish in our minds. It is, without a doubt, a fantastic restaurant with high quality foods and very good service. As foodies, we are spoiled by the amazing restaurant options in New York City and while Marea does not top our list, it certainly makes the Top 10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeLuvtodineVIPDined on 11/10/2014Went with my husband and daughter and everything from service to food was great. Would definitely go back and highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will definately come back!!!GutiaokiDined on 11/10/2014The food at Marea is outstanding, with perfect execution. The fusili with octopus and bone marrow is a "must try", as well as the lobster burrata and the Ricci (sea urchin with lardo on a toast). The wine list is also very good, and their Chardannay (Alta Marea) was a perfect match with some oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth the tripfoodikatVIPDined on 11/10/2014my wife and i recently had lunch here and it was as good as our previous visits. it is easily one of the best restaurants in the country and one of our favorite restaurants in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchbthutchinsVIPDined on 11/10/2014The restaurant is very inviting, the food was wonderful and the ambiance is great. Nice to be able to have a conversation and space along with great food. The wine list for lunch was short but complete. The polipo was outstanding and the zuppa was rich and charming. The pastas were excellent with a rich octopus bone marrow sauce for the fusilli and a less rich one for the strozzapreti. Both good in their own way. Definitely a great place for lunch.Special Features:
- Anniversary MealLaniDined on 11/9/2014Wonderful meal. Attention to our every need by staff. Food is innovative, interesting and delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Lackluster ServiceJHinNJVIPDined on 11/8/2014At a restaurant of this caliber, I would expect a server to navigate you through the menu and be excited or at least enthusiastic about the menu- our group of 6 saw none of that. The only nice thing I can say about the service is that it was mellow- with the only value add being an explanation of what the asterisk means on the menu (chef recommendations). So advice is do your homework in advance- read reviews - it will be worthwhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvelous MareaAAC1Dined on 11/8/2014We have our daughter pick a special restaurant to celebrate her Birthday. This year after reading the review in the Times, she selected Marea. It was absolutely wonderful. The dining room was beautiful. The service was first class. The food was awesome.Special Features:
- The Pairing of Wines was FantasticSteveC23Dined on 11/8/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner on Saturday November 8th. The service was remarkable, each of the six courses were prepared with presentation in mind. We elected wine paring for our six course tasting menu and only wish that we had more time to spend enjoying each and every selection. The dessert wine was to die for and complimented the rich dessert we both enjoyed. The attention to service is obvious from the minute we arrived, staff peruse throughout the dining room in search of a utensil out of place or a glass half filled. Job well done!Special Features:
- Superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014Every one of dishes was very unique and awesome! We went on with seafood tasting menu and all of them were so great I wouldn't forget. The service was excellent and very kind. The waiter came to us several times with breads, asking whether we wanted more, always with big smile. Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another amazing meal at MareaOpenTableDinerVIPDined on 11/7/2014We had another amazing meal at Marea the other night. We landed in New York fairly late and Marea was more than happy to accommodate us. I was surprised how full the restaurant was a such a late hour. The service was impeccable, as always. The food was delicious and the wine was great. They made us feel comfortable and didn't rush our meal. This is truly one of the top restaurants you'll find anywhere. Thank you Marea!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.