240 Central Park South
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marea-nyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 582-5100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm ; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch - Saturday and Sunday 11:30 - 2:30
(daily limited bar menu from 2:30 till dinner)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Jared Gadbaw
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Marea offers a private dining space that seats up to 16ppl. In addition, we have a space that can seat up to 30ppl, and a lounge that can seat up to 28ppl.
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Stadmeyer 2125825100
- Cross Street: Broadway
- Public Transit: Marea is located near Columbus Circle, a hub for the A, B, C, D and 1 subways lines. One block east and one block south at 57th St. and 7th Ave guests may utilize either the N, Q, R, W subway lines.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Central Parking Systems, 345 West 58th Street (Between 8th and 9th Avenue). To reserve parking at Central Parking System at the Time Warner Center, please call CenterCharge (212-721-6500). Patrons can reserve either matinee (10am - 6pm) or evening (4pm - midnight) spots. Parking fees are $35 for Sun-Wed and $36 for Thu-Sat. Patrons can reserve up until 3pm the day before for matinee performances, and 3pm the day of for evening performances.
A word from Marea
Marea Ristorante, located in one of Manhattans most storied addresses, features Chef Michael White's ode to Italian seafood. From his trademark handmade pastas to his fresh crudo and whole fish, Chef White is committed to reinventing the notion of seafood in New York.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Marea reviews from OpenTable diners
682 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (448)fit for foodies (438)notable wine list (318)romantic (214)great for lunch (161)hot spot (149)neighborhood gem (112)good for groups (82)vibrant bar scene (64)great for brunch (35)late-night find (33)scenic view (15)great for outdoor dining (13)kid-friendly (12)Show More
- Overall nice experienceFoodie1Dined on 11/21/2014Creative food, friendly helpful waitstaff, overall nice experience. 4 course prix fixe for $99 is good buy and sufficient amounts. Bobolini (fresh Donut hole ) dessert impressive! But could have included some sides with the entree instead of making the vegetables and potatoes ala carte. Could have put some more clams in the clam pasta. The tables for 2 are a little too close. Wines by the glass a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/20/2014Terrific in all respects. The four-course prix fixe is a bargain at $99.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great room, mediocre food and service for lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 11/19/2014Fish was overcooked. Waiter was absent. Overall, the food had a level of complexity that was unnecessary.
- South of Cebtral ParkPhiWDined on 11/18/2014This is our second time with the past month to dine at this outstanding Restaurante. If one clamors food from the sea, go no further then Central Park South,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40th birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014First time in New York for my wife's 40th Birthday. Excellent restaurant and they gave my wife a complimentary 40th birthday desert ... Very thoughtful and made her night ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marea ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/18/2014Quite simply the best meal I've ever had in my entire life. 10/10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- S Cenral park gemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/17/2014Excellent, will definitely go back upon next visit to NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value for moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/17/2014Excellent food. They are offering a business lunch at 49 $. In Europe, would be very hard to vind a two star Michelin restaurant offering meals at this price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JEVNVIPDined on 11/16/2014Marea is by far the best italian Restaurant in NYC .Special Features:
- Amazing foodbeezerVIPDined on 11/15/2014Been here three times now and always end up sitting in the back where the tables are a little too close together for my comfort but service & food are truly amazing. certainly on the pricy side so it is a place for an occasion but the four course is wonderful for that special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian seafood and extensive wine list.DancounsDined on 11/15/2014I was pleasantly surprised with this find! I googled top Italian seafood restaurants in the NYC area, and Marea came up. So, I took a chance and I am so glad I did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Columbus circle attractionStraightstockDined on 11/15/2014This a beautiful setting with first class food. We had other plans and did not enjoy the full impact. Fresh flavors, good food and pretty good service. BIt prices, but no more than other New York restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chic seafood place in new yorkBoniDined on 11/14/2014To find a chic, relaxing ambiance with excellent seafood in New York just stop by MAREA.You will always want to go back! Try the Risotto di mare, one not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/13/2014I often have dinner at Marea, the food is consistently amazing, the ambiance is warm and fancy, but the waiters are always arrogant. Too bad, because it would be te perfect restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marea continues to delightGolem212VIPDined on 11/12/2014Marea is always a treat. It is our go-to special occasion place in Manhattan. The option of gluten-free pasta, the professionalism and courtesy of the sommelier, and the original and exquisitely prepared cuisine make it among New York's absolute best. It's interesting to note that although I had given the sommelier a price range from which to select a wine, he found one that was more appropriate for our entree selections that was below the figure I had quoted. That, plus everything else, contributed to a memorable meal and a sparkling evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014Overpriced, food low quality for a two star. Very disappointed and in my opinion barely a Michelin star restaurant. The biggest waste of $370.Special Features:
- PerfectFooooodVIPDined on 11/12/2014Everything was amazing! Will be returning soon! I had the octopus pasta which was to die for and a Bronzino it was huge for 2 but delicious!!! We also enjoyed the oysters. There was absolutely nothing to complain about! Great as expectedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectBobreitanoVIPDined on 11/11/2014from beginning to end a lovely evening. The food, service, attention, etc. etc. was just perfect. They care and it shows in every aspect of the evening.Special Features:
- Very goodNYCRestaurateurDined on 11/11/2014We came to Marea for lunch and decided to try the 5-course tasting menu with wine pairings for a full experience. Every course was great but nothing really stood out as a knock-out dish in our minds. It is, without a doubt, a fantastic restaurant with high quality foods and very good service. As foodies, we are spoiled by the amazing restaurant options in New York City and while Marea does not top our list, it certainly makes the Top 10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeLuvtodineVIPDined on 11/10/2014Went with my husband and daughter and everything from service to food was great. Would definitely go back and highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will definately come back!!!GutiaokiDined on 11/10/2014The food at Marea is outstanding, with perfect execution. The fusili with octopus and bone marrow is a "must try", as well as the lobster burrata and the Ricci (sea urchin with lardo on a toast). The wine list is also very good, and their Chardannay (Alta Marea) was a perfect match with some oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth the tripfoodikatVIPDined on 11/10/2014my wife and i recently had lunch here and it was as good as our previous visits. it is easily one of the best restaurants in the country and one of our favorite restaurants in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchbthutchinsVIPDined on 11/10/2014The restaurant is very inviting, the food was wonderful and the ambiance is great. Nice to be able to have a conversation and space along with great food. The wine list for lunch was short but complete. The polipo was outstanding and the zuppa was rich and charming. The pastas were excellent with a rich octopus bone marrow sauce for the fusilli and a less rich one for the strozzapreti. Both good in their own way. Definitely a great place for lunch.Special Features:
- Anniversary MealLaniDined on 11/9/2014Wonderful meal. Attention to our every need by staff. Food is innovative, interesting and delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Lackluster ServiceJHinNJVIPDined on 11/8/2014At a restaurant of this caliber, I would expect a server to navigate you through the menu and be excited or at least enthusiastic about the menu- our group of 6 saw none of that. The only nice thing I can say about the service is that it was mellow- with the only value add being an explanation of what the asterisk means on the menu (chef recommendations). So advice is do your homework in advance- read reviews - it will be worthwhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvelous MareaAAC1Dined on 11/8/2014We have our daughter pick a special restaurant to celebrate her Birthday. This year after reading the review in the Times, she selected Marea. It was absolutely wonderful. The dining room was beautiful. The service was first class. The food was awesome.Special Features:
- The Pairing of Wines was FantasticSteveC23Dined on 11/8/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner on Saturday November 8th. The service was remarkable, each of the six courses were prepared with presentation in mind. We elected wine paring for our six course tasting menu and only wish that we had more time to spend enjoying each and every selection. The dessert wine was to die for and complimented the rich dessert we both enjoyed. The attention to service is obvious from the minute we arrived, staff peruse throughout the dining room in search of a utensil out of place or a glass half filled. Job well done!Special Features:
- Superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014Every one of dishes was very unique and awesome! We went on with seafood tasting menu and all of them were so great I wouldn't forget. The service was excellent and very kind. The waiter came to us several times with breads, asking whether we wanted more, always with big smile. Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another amazing meal at MareaOpenTableDinerVIPDined on 11/7/2014We had another amazing meal at Marea the other night. We landed in New York fairly late and Marea was more than happy to accommodate us. I was surprised how full the restaurant was a such a late hour. The service was impeccable, as always. The food was delicious and the wine was great. They made us feel comfortable and didn't rush our meal. This is truly one of the top restaurants you'll find anywhere. Thank you Marea!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EstebanEstebanDined on 11/7/2014Excelent italian restsurant. Best food, outstanding service. Pricy, but worth it. Real italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/7/2014Very good, especially the pasta dishes, the most expensive dish was the pesce/carne which we ended up being a bit too full for so I don't think that is necessary. The prix fixe menu is not a good deal, my bf got it and they gave him a smaller pasta dish which would have meant the 4 courses would cost the same as the menu price, so no saving thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent ExcellenceplkmtkDined on 11/7/2014We dine at Marea every year when we visit NYC for three weeks and we have been consistently pleased by all aspects of the experiience. The food, with its focus on fish, has been outstanding from the start as has been the impressive (if pricey) wine list. Equally important is the ambiance and service. The tables are well spaced and the service is highly professional. You never feel as if the staff is hovering over you and pressing you to place an order or finish a course, yet they are there when you need them. This is not necessarily what you get at other top NYC restaurants. Given the quality, excellent value for money.Special Features:
- GastrognomesGastrognomesVIPDined on 11/7/2014We had the pleasure of dining at this restaurant on a busy Friday night. Everything was perfect. Our waiter, Kent was knowledgable and informative but not overbearing. We chose wonderful appetizers; lobster and fois gras. For our entrees we had the Bistecca (a 50 day dry aged steak cooked to perfection) and a pasta with shrimp. You can really taste the quality of the pasta. In fact it reminded me of the handmade pasta in Venice. Not only is this a Relais & Chateaux property but also boasts two Michelin Stars. The food is definitely a tribute to these fine associations.I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeruvianCookDined on 11/6/2014Hi all; back home in Lima Peru, exceptional food and very affordable tasting menu for such a GREAT Restaurant, congratulations and I will certainly come back again on my next visit to NY. RamonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reliable favoriteJF570Dined on 11/6/2014Marea excels in the quality of everything -- location, food, ambience, service. The food is innovative, well prepared, beautifully presented and served and has distinct strong flavors. The decor is polished, high end and you have enough space to be comfortable and enjoy a private conversation. The dining room is quietet than most but I'd like it even more quiet for easier conversation. Lunch prices are competitive for a high-end Manhattan restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgettable Dining ExperienceTurk182Dined on 11/5/2014The place was noisy, the service was poor, and employees were snobbish. Also, they seemed unprepared to sit customers on time according to their reservations.
- DANGER: addictive!mikeyclimbVIPDined on 11/5/2014second recent visit. greeted by suave, elegant maitre d' who warmly greeted us and sat us according to our choice. Cocktails (poire royale) unique. Started with sea urchins - extremely fresh and sensual, then crudo of pacific langustines w pink sea salt. Pasta a fusilli of braised octopus w bone marrow for sinful richness, main dish (supplement well merited) beautiful sole (among the best ever). Sommelier (FG) helped us explore Italians with a reasonable and hitherto unknown to us varietal from Sicily (ALWAYS ask the som) One of the two best Italian restaurants in NYC and perhaps the US. The ambiance is romantic, adult, or casual if you wish. Great people watching. Come here twice and you will be treated like family.Special Features:
- A very pleasant lunchFoodieVIPDined on 11/5/2014I very much enjoyed my dining experience at Marea. The service is quite professional and the food prepared with perfection. The octopus appretizer was delicious and my red snapper fish entree equally as tasty. I do wish the portions were more ample and less salt were used in the cooking.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/3/2014The service at Marea was outstanding. It seemed as if there was one staff member for each customer! Our appetizers were fabulous & the food interesting. We would definitely go back there to enjoy it again.Special Features:
- High quality restaurant!MichelVIPDined on 11/3/2014We have eaten at Marea a number of times over the years and it is always memorable. This time was very good also except for the fact that we felt rushed as the courses were coming a it too fast for such a high end operation. The restaurant is always very busyin the evening, but given the high price of the average meal at Marea, the kitchen could pace it better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.