240 Central Park South
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marea-nyc.com/
- Phone: 2125825100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm ; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch - Saturday and Sunday 11:30 - 2:30
(daily limited bar menu from 2:30 till dinner)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Jared Gadbaw
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Marea offers a private dining space that seats up to 16ppl. In addition, we have a space that can seat up to 30ppl, and a lounge that can seat up to 28ppl.
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Stadmeyer 2125825100
- Cross Street: Broadway
- Public Transit: Marea is located near Columbus Circle, a hub for the A, B, C, D and 1 subways lines. One block east and one block south at 57th St. and 7th Ave guests may utilize either the N, Q, R, W subway lines.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Central Parking Systems, 345 West 58th Street (Between 8th and 9th Avenue). To reserve parking at Central Parking System at the Time Warner Center, please call CenterCharge (212-721-6500). Patrons can reserve either matinee (10am - 6pm) or evening (4pm - midnight) spots. Parking fees are $35 for Sun-Wed and $36 for Thu-Sat. Patrons can reserve up until 3pm the day before for matinee performances, and 3pm the day of for evening performances.
A word from Marea
Marea Ristorante, located in one of Manhattans most storied addresses, features Chef Michael White's ode to Italian seafood. From his trademark handmade pastas to his fresh crudo and whole fish, Chef White is committed to reinventing the notion of seafood in New York.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Marea reviews from OpenTable diners
656 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (442)fit for foodies (406)notable wine list (296)romantic (233)great for lunch (168)hot spot (111)neighborhood gem (80)good for groups (79)great for brunch (52)vibrant bar scene (51)late-night find (32)scenic view (26)great for outdoor dining (13)kid-friendly (8)Show More
- Year after yearOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014My wide and I go to Marea for our anniversary every year. It never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top SpotLaFleurVIPDined on 8/25/2014We've eaten here many times and it is consistently the best restaurant in Manhattan (and beyond). World class on every level, and definitely worth the expense. Already looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sea food in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Marea is one of those spectacular sea food restaurants, and it's affordable for lunch (of course for a restaurant of its type - around $50 per person). I strongly recommend it for everyone that loves sea food, fish and a really good food.Special Features:
- Rather DisappointingcaliforniafoodiesVIPDined on 8/24/2014With it being ranked so high on the world list of restaurants, I expected more. Our wait person was the highlight of the meal. The pastas and fish were very average. Yet, the dining room was packed--which made it a constant scurry of people back and forth. At one point in the evening, a round table top and two chairs were carried overhead, past dinners, out of the dining room. No a very classy move.
- Fine DiningdanngeralynDined on 8/23/2014This is THE place my wife took me to for my birthday a couple of years ago, and this year where I took her for hers. We don't live in NY, but we love coming here after a play on a special occasion. The food and service are outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence and value at NYC's #3wriskitDined on 8/23/2014Our first time but not our last time. Our 50th wedding anniversary celebration dinner was a total success. Every dish was fabulous but the charred octopus appetizer was in a class by itself and as part of a four course dinner for $99 in NYC's #3 restaurant (amazing). The pasta with clams was superb, the sea bass perfection, the dessert a final touch. My wife's ala carte crispy oyster app and poached 2-inch high snowy white halibut main were equally delicious. The bottle of dry Italian sparkling wine a worthy accompaniment to each dish. With decor, ambiance, service and advice of the highest calibre, this was a meal to remember forever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special for Special OccasionsWestchesterGlennDined on 8/23/2014Very fine dining. Certainly more of a seafood specialty selection than Italian. Not for those looking for value or traditional selection. Amazing service and very tasty dishes. Hard not to order four course price fixed offer for $99. Lots of great food. Full wine selection. Definitely pricey but worth it for special occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!MinnieDined on 8/23/2014This was our second time to visit Marea. Since we had companies from our country Japan, my husband & I decided to take them to Marea because our first visit was just wonderful. Four of us ordered 5 courses lunch and all of them were so good! In addition, their services were magnificent!! We will definitely go back to enjoy both great food & wonderful service! Thank you very much~!Special Features:
- fantasticmk11201Dined on 8/21/2014hands down one of the best restaurants in nyc: exceptional food and fantastic service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Italian Seafood Gemjpc1040VIPDined on 8/21/2014Couldn't get in at Le Bernadin so I tried Marea in the same general neighborhood. Was a little anxious based on some recent reviews. I can tell you Marea is hitting on all cylinders. From the warm welcome, to the helpful sommelier, the creative food and watchful service, my wife and I had a memorable evening. We each had the 4 course dinner. I highly recommend the lobster antipasti and the black sea bass. The background music started out a little peppy but mellowed around 8 p.m. Hope to return many times on future trips to NYC.Special Features:
- harriOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014everything was superb one of our best dinning experiences in a whileSpecial Features:
- impeccable serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Highly recommend. The pasta with sea urchin was amazing as the dessert. Nothing to do with this restaurant, I only disappoint on Nouvelle cuisine, I rather a little bit bigger portions... But in place like this you expect tasting environment. Excellent sommelier and waiter.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/20/2014I treated my cousin and his son during their visit to NY and we all had the $99 prixe fixe. Every single bite of each of the 4 courses was magnificent! The seasoning was spot on and enhanced the dish and it's natural flavors. I can't decide whether this beats Jean George's in my book but I have been raving about this meal for days and can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service tonightOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/18/2014Marea is a great restaurant. We had an inattentive waiter and very slow service that resulted in a challenging eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overall, amazing pastasnuvystaDined on 8/18/2014We were there at diner, service was efficient, polite. All was great, pastas were as usual amazing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/18/2014Excellent cuisine, especially loved lobster-burrata starter. Slightly stuffy for my taste but very professional staff. The food is certainly worth a visit. Ambiance appealing but nothing special.
- GoodRafaelDined on 8/17/2014I was looking for the best italian restaurant in NY and took Marea out of some of the lists that are on internet. No doubt that the restaurant is good, but I was really expecting something more special or even outstanding. The sommelier was so helpful and the service was ok. We would like to know more about the menu, since we only tried a few things.Special Features:
- Highly recommendedRenatoDined on 8/16/2014Great for seafood lovers prepared in a remarkable good taste of Italian fusion cuisineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceCam12Dined on 8/16/2014The service was the thing that didn't help my nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great placejupiter10Dined on 8/16/2014Perfect italian style New York restaurant, located central park South. Wonderful ambiance, very pleasant lightning - yes it matters - and above all delicious food. We even had a Gevrey Chambertin, which, as everyone knows, was Napoléon's wine (he used to drink one single glass at...11 am every morning).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelent choice!MrsKDined on 8/16/2014Very well located restaurant, great food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs workyvrnwDined on 8/16/2014Second time here. Food still fantastic. Service still needs work. 45 mins. after having been seated and no one asked if we wanted a drink, offered an amuse bouche or bread.Special Features:
- PerfectionFoodieKazVIPDined on 8/15/2014I had originally visited Marea when many years ago. I was not impressed, could not have been a better experience this time. We ordered the 4 course prix fixe, we were already full after course 2. Every problem we had was fixed beyond our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ca11FoCa11FoDined on 8/15/2014Great food. Great staff. Congratulations to the management. Fantastic restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marea restaurantNew2newyorkDined on 8/15/2014Marea is a good place to dine before going to the theatre. It was hard to find the restaurant as it's at Columbus Circle and it appears to be in an office building. They have a great wine list, our meals were very good and the service was excellent. They feature a 4 or 5 course price fixe option but I'm not a big fan of those. Pastas are all home made, and our entrees were well portioned. They called in the morning to confirm our reservation, and asked if we needed transportation to the theatre. That was a nice touch. The prices are reasonable. I recommend Marea for a fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MareaVouvouDined on 8/15/2014Excellent food. Highly recommend the Funghi risotto and the scampi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love it.ramen65Dined on 8/15/2014Great food,Great service, It was second time for me and my daughters, just good as we remembered. Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic beautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/14/2014This is a restaurant of Notability. Service and seating are fantastic. Great noise level. The best service you could ever ask for. The wine list and Sommelier are extraordinary. The menu is creative and mostly inspired. The preparation of the food was good and presentation excellent. The food was definitively over salted showing a lack of attention to execution. All of the ingredients were fresh and of the highest quality. Some other examples of the execution besides over salting were the lack of crispy skin on the sea bass and the uninspired presentation of a melting three scoops of ice cream. Like I said, we had a spectacular time and have no regrets, however with service and ambience so extraordinary plz Execute betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always among the best!BillVIPDined on 8/13/2014Georges and the staff are always attentive and accommodating. The food is unique and tasteful. I'm adicted to the polipo!!Special Features:
- Great choice!OtavioSFarahVIPDined on 8/12/2014Great choice for a nice dinner after broadway shows!!Special Features:
- Great Italian FoodMF28Dined on 8/12/2014This place was recommended to us...glad we came food is unbelievable ...best Italian I have hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marea is great!robertbernsteinDined on 8/12/2014We have eaten at Marea twice, and both times the entire experience was a delight. The dishes are interesting and beautifully prepared. The spices are subtle and bring out the natural flavors. Portions are perfect: not too large, but more than enough. The wine list is huge and spans the spectrum of varieties and prices, but they never tried to push a more expensive wine. They also poured carefully, not trying to finish the bottle quickly and make you order another. Our waiter was very helpful, but neither condescending nor overly solicitous. Service was prompt, but we never felt rushed. The prix fixe dinner is a real bargain for this quality of dining.Special Features:
- So delicious we criedTTHopeDined on 8/12/2014Original & exquisite meal. Our large party was treated so well- without question seamless phenomenal service. If you can make it here-run don't walk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michael White at his BestJimboDined on 8/12/2014I have followed this chef for many years at his winning restaurants - oh, how I miss Convivio - but this was my first trip to Marea. And his take on seafood is second to none now in NYC. Wow. It lives up to the impeccable standards he has set through the years, and has built on the food and service and attention. Thank you for a wonderful lunch.Special Features:
- Pasta….basta with the saucePeltzyDined on 8/12/2014Had a lovely lunch here…well appointed dining room, excellent service and a nice wine list by the glass that allows for two people to properly pair wines with their first and second courses. The Astice (beautiful lobster and creamy burrata to die for) and Tartare (bigeye tuna), were as good as could be. Our Secondo, Strozzapreti & one with Polipo, (the pasta course) was off the mark, which is surprising, since Michael White was in the kitchen and "known" for his pasta. I saw him leave the restaurant at about 2:15pm. The Strozzapreti (crab &sea urchin) was flavorful, but both pasta dishes were a bit overcooked and over-sauced. Additionally, the octopus was tough. Pity.
- One of the great restaurantsDoc1VIPDined on 8/11/2014Outstanding service, extraordinary food. There can be few better.Special Features:
- outstanding foodHarryVIPDined on 8/11/2014Great restaurant, great food especially the pasta.Special Features:
- Great anniversary dinnerZonerDined on 8/11/2014Had a wonderful dinner at Marea two days ago. My wife and I both ordered the tasting menu; everything on it was delicious. The house octopus specialty was particularly worth ordering, as was the sea bass and the seafood stew. While I usually have chocolate dessert, I chose the fruit sorbets, which were outstanding. My only slight complaint was that the music was a bit too loud (not like some restaurants, but loud enough to be too noticeable).Special Features:
- DécouverteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Le menu dégustation permet de se laisser guider dans la découverte de cette cuisineSpecial Features:
- Marea fell short of expectationsEstuaryDinerDined on 8/10/2014As a restaurant that has been awarded two Michelin stars I expected a lot from our visit to Marea for dinner. I chose to sample the Tasting menu, believing that the five dishes on that menu would represent the best that Marea had to offer. Of these two were outstanding and genuinely memorable, one was good and two were distinctly average. Overall I was left feeling underwhelmed by the dining experience. This feeling wasn't helped by being assigned the worst table in the restaurant which was at the focal point of waiter activity, including chairs being lifted over our table during the meal. I'm surprised that Marea has two Michelin stars. We've had better dining experiences at much better value for money in the last few weeks.Special Features: