Mare Culinary Lounge
696 S. Coast Hwy
Laguna Beach, CA 92651Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Mare Culinary Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mareculinarylounge.com/
- Phone: 9497159581
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 7:00am - 1:00pm
Daily: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 12:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Alessandro Pirozzi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering & event planning
On-site private dining
Pick-up Party Trays
Take out Menus
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Late Night Dining
- Entertainment: Sunday Brunch Live Jazz Duo 10am - 2pm
Sunday Dinner Live Jazz Trio 6:30pm - 9:30pm
Late Night Friday & Saturday Nights - house Music at Mare 10pm - 2am
A word from Mare Culinary Lounge
Following the success of the Alessá family of three restaurants, award winning Chef Alessandro Pirozzi opened his new Mare Culinary Lounge in May 2012. Mare, the fourth restaurant in Alessandro Pirozzi’s Culinary Collection, is intimate, chic, and the perfect place to pop into for martinis and scrumptious appetizers. The hip, internationally inspired décor and imaginative cuisine brings haute dining to a piquant new culinary level. Among the recent phenomenal changes on the Laguna Beach dining scene, the most extraordinary was the late spring emergence of Mare Culinary Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mare Culinary Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since June 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (22)neighborhood gem (19)great for outdoor dining (18)romantic (10)special occasion (9)good for groups (7)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- I'd Try AgainHBGALDined on 9/27/2014Food is amazing, as always. The room itself is nothing special. Service was less than desirable; 20 minutes to get bread and water. Little attention there after but there was a party of 100 on the patio so that may have contributed.Special Features:
- GimmicksVIPDined on 9/27/2014Always the best food. Took relatives for the first time and they agreedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- coopsterVIPDined on 9/24/2014very good food- I arrived at 6pm and they were not ready for me- no servers ready and available-although I have been there several times and have never had this problem before the food is always excellent.Special Features:
- pretty nicebethDined on 9/9/2014The place was nice but not compelling. It didn't leave me with the impression that I could hardly wait to get back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- itwasgoodVIPDined on 9/6/2014The food was excellent on two different occasions . The service was good but the waiter could have been more attentive.Special Features:
- A not-well-known gemBeforeBalletDined on 8/24/2014Located in a Holiday Inn, but not owned or run by the hotel. Chef is from Italy. Staff are really knowledgeable. Food is great. Have had breakfast, lunch and dinner there - all outstanding. The kind of place that I want to keep returning to. Free and easy parking in H. Inn lot or at nearby church parking lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just okJStoneDined on 8/23/2014Service was solid. Food was ok. Apps better than main course. For an Italian place, pasta should be al dente everytime, both of our Pastas were over cooked.Special Features:
- decent ItalianAnnaVIPDined on 8/19/2014We were expecting a much better restaurant, but it was ok for the price. Large quantities - good if you have a family. Caesar salads were excellent - wish I had gotten a large one and made that dinner. We had a pizza (crust too mushy, tho toppings good) and the pasta with sausage and chicken in a mushroom cream sauce (very rich, and the chicken was superfluous)/I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian love the new menuScottoVIPDined on 8/15/2014We took a group of 8 people here. Have Luigi order for you. Mamma Mia meatballs, octopus salad, then black ink pasta, Papparadelle Bolognese. Try the llama red wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieFindsDined on 7/20/2014Who would have thought one could find a spot like this in a Holiday Inn? Mare is independently owned and run, and they are proud of what they do. Our server, Luigi, truly made our evening. He is a master at describing dishes in a way that makes your mouth water (we asked him to repeat a few of the specials just to hear his descriptions again :) and throughout the evening, he was both attentive and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchPaulVIPDined on 7/19/2014We enjoyed another great lunch at Mare's. We especially like the fact they do not charge a corkage for wine from Laguna CanyonSpecial Features:
- really good food but crazy noisyfoodielbVIPDined on 7/18/2014Food and service were great but not a place for a romantic dinner. Noisiest restaurant I've been in in a long time. Would maybe go back with a large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accepted our reservationLarryHNVIPDined on 7/15/2014But was closed when we arrived for it. Not good. You should never offer and accept reservations when you are closed.
- Good Food bad serviceDoctorJayDined on 7/12/2014We had a reservation on the night the hotel/restaurant was hosting a wedding. We were immediately "warned" by our waitress about the slow service and told we could not substitute "anything". We merely wanted a different pasta with one dish. They agreed after asking to see the manager , but then still switched the pasta without telling us and said "sorry we were out of that other pasta". To switch and not tell us , I told the manager, was not acceptable. She bought us a glass of wine and wanted to fix the pasta screw-up....too late, my kids were done! They should not have been open this night if they were unable to provide the service that Alessandro promises.!
- CDMNUPVIPDined on 7/12/2014Food was good. Seating was cramped. Parking was horrible - be prepare to pay $10 at the Church parking. There's a discrepancy between what Mare indicates (free) and reality. Service was so so if can get the waitress' attention. Asked for bread twice and never got them.Special Features:
- The best meal in Laguna BeachfitfoodieVIPDined on 7/3/2014Ask for Luigi, let him take it from there. He will order for you, pick your wine, and ave you a meal you will long remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014Living in Southern California, I often have guests from out of State. Mare is becoming my 'go to' restaurant. The ambiance, service, and menu selection are great. Something for everyone. Moderately priced and located in the heart of Laguna Beach with easy parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian find in LagunamikeVIPDined on 6/27/2014Sister property to Alessi in Laguna , located in the funky Holiday inn, it is a surprising find of adventurous Italian dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GourmetVIPDined on 6/21/2014Although in a Holiday Inn the food was creative, delicious and offered a lot of small plate sharings that made it a fun dining experience for two couplesSpecial Features:
- The following 137 reviews are from the Mare Culinary Lounge reviews archive.
- always pleasedDisappointedDined on 5/24/2014consistently great food. great atmosphere and ambience. been there 10 times and always pleased. this time, a new server was the only negative, but he got "used to us" and by the end of the night was pleasant and helpful. it was extremely crowded and busy the nite we went anything that alessandro touches turns to gold...i highly recommend and will go back oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Save your money OCnittyoDined on 5/2/2014Poor service, waited 10 for waitress to arrive. She was apparently pulled from the kitchen when one of the managers noticed we were not be served. Busy boy cleaning restaurant while we ate. Sweeping floor & cleaning windows. Floor was very average. Based on our experience i don't see this restaurant lasting much longer.
- nice Laguna Beach restaurantcoopsterVIPDined on 4/30/2014I have to admit, when driving up and seeing the restaurant was located inside a Holiday Inn, I almost turned around and went elsewhere. Glad we didn't. The restaurant was very charming and had a very nice outdoor patio/garden eating area. The food was quite delicious- the lemon pasta with lobster was outstanding. I have been to another restaurant by the same owner and expected good things- and this was even better than expected. I had the seabass fish of the day which was exceptional but could not keep my fork out of my sister's lemon pasta with lobster- really delicious. We both had an arugula fennel salad which was also delicious.Special Features:
- Would definately returnGFGourmetDined on 4/26/2014Very friendly staff. Chef checked on us. Food excellent! Gluten free pasta available...just tell the server what you want with it of items they stock and chef will make you a killer bowl of pasta without making you feel inferior or bringing undo attention. You will get the same flavorful meal as others at the table. Loved it.
- Just Yum...TastyFaceVIPDined on 4/22/2014Calamari is so light! Branzino baked in rock salt (order in advance?). Do it! Clams with Squid ink pasta…perfecto. Of course, "tasted" another pasta my friend had, with tiny teardrop red peppers that they "pickle on premises" (POP!?). Worth a trip back just for that little addition to the dish. Told that Chef Alessandro is opening a new restaurant in Corona Del Mar (Pizzoli's?). Looking forward to a new place to taste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter brunchMmmB8VIPDined on 4/20/2014Delicious food, great service and readily available reservations. The inside was quite noisy though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!!LuvtodineoutDined on 4/18/2014It is right across from the Pacific Edge Hotel where we were staying. Very nice atmosphere with a lovely outdoor patio. Service and food were great!! My daughter and I would dine here again for sure ;-)Special Features:
- DinnerDebFoodVIPDined on 4/13/2014We had the calamari, leg of lamb special, John Dory, and halibut. All were excellent and our server suggested two fabulous Italian wines we had never tried. We will be back!Special Features:
- Good but way too loud.LovefoodVIPDined on 4/4/2014There were certain things that were really good, like the pesto sauce to dip your bread in, the two different carpaccio's that we had which were heirloom tomatoes with Burratta cheese and tuna with fennel, but the pizza was not good. The crust was mushy and the sauce too salty. I don't know if they were using a different flour but it was not as good as it was in the past. It also was so loud we could barely hear each other talk. They definitely need to work on that.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014The waiter did an excellent job explaining the specials. Both my date and I went for the sea bass. it was tasty if all your looking for is a snack. The ambience was great. I had to have two fish filets, fries and a apple pie later for my second course.Special Features:
- Best Italian concept in SoCalArtySmartyDined on 3/13/2014Whatever Chef Alessandro suggests and he'll do it fresh from scratch, do it. He is remarkably talented, passionate and committed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre RestaurantlisaVIPDined on 3/8/2014We had a 6:30 reservation but they had us down for 7:30. Since I made it online I had the email confirmation. Our party had 4 ppl and they tried to seat us at a table for 3 ppl? Weird, we didn't fit at this table. She then says OK you can sit over there (the table RIGHT next to the kitchen, with only 3 chairs!) Ok, do you not see there are 4 ppl?? So she pulls up a chair from the empty 4 top table next to us. (There were plenty of 4 top tables open) Our waitress was efficient but one of the most unfriendly servers I have had. The food was very good, the cheese plate was phenomenal but for $250 I like to have enjoyable service. We may go back but there are SO many good restaurants this would not be a place I would specifically recommend.Special Features:
- BrendabrenDined on 3/7/2014As always there food was amazing, I love the fact I know it will always be goodSpecial Features:
- I had heard about Mare andtljohnDined on 2/28/2014I had heard about Mare and it completely lived up to everything I had been told! I highly recommend for any occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Quality Italian GourmetSteveMDined on 2/21/2014Good atmosphere; Comfortable dining experience with responsive server. All the dishes were very tasty, especially, the Chilean Sea Bass with a side of Pesto Gnocchi. Good Wine selection. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeIrishmavDined on 2/21/2014We eat at Mare every time we visit Laguna. The food is excellent and on this particular evening we asked for a quiet table and they seated us on the patio. It was cool out but they had many several heaters so we were comfortable. It was very quiet on the patio but inside the restaurant it is pretty noisy. The bruschetta was fantastic and the pesto dipping sauce for the bread was the best we have had! As a side note, we have been here for lunch and brunch and we have never been disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good to get outoliveDined on 2/14/2014The food at Mare is very good, we went on a day they had a pre fix menu and was disappointed only because we have our favorites that we couldn't order - love the olives - pre fix was too expensive but still yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So badChelseyDined on 2/14/2014SERVICE WAS HORRIBLE!!! They acted like we weren't even there!! Food portion was tiny Servers were rude when you were uninformed about the menus items The bill came out to 144$ for 2 people After we left we went and got pizza becuause we felt like we ate nothing What a terrible place Please don't waste your money.Special Features:
- Valentine's Wedding DinnerMountainBeeDined on 2/14/2014If you want a romantic dinner this is your place! If you want the best french toast this is the place! Awesome food, friendly service , great atmosphere. I had gotten married on Valentine's day and we went to Mare Culinary Lounge for dinner reception and it was so memorable. The staff was execeptional the Salmon, Butternut Squash Ravioli, Lasagne, Fettucine everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Hit!LandSharkVIPDined on 2/12/2014Chef Alessandro knows how to prepare and serve italian food. This local spot, one of two operated by Alessandro (also Alessa on Forest), is located where you wouldn't expect such a great restaurant - in the Holiday Inn on PCH. Taking over the small hotel restaurant, bar and patio space in this older hotel, Alessandro conjures up his amazing italian food nightly. It's not to be missed. When the weather is fair, the patio seating (inside the 'quad' of the Holiday Inn) is a delightful space given the overall location. The nightly specials are always first-rate, and the service is attentive. The restaurant interior is a bit modern-eclectic, but the food overcomes all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No more Weekend BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/9/2014The place no longer offers a weekend brunch, which has made the location even less busy. Service was sub-par; unlike the first few times I've been here which were excellent. I feel like this place is starting to go downhill.