Mare Culinary Lounge
696 S. Coast Hwy
Laguna Beach, CA 92651Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Mare Culinary Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mareculinarylounge.com/
- Phone: (949) 715-9581
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 7:00am - 1:00pm
Daily: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 12:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Alessandro Pirozzi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering & event planning
On-site private dining
Pick-up Party Trays
Take out Menus
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Late Night Dining
- Entertainment: Sunday Brunch Live Jazz Duo 10am - 2pm
Sunday Dinner Live Jazz Trio 6:30pm - 9:30pm
Late Night Friday & Saturday Nights - house Music at Mare 10pm - 2am
A word from Mare Culinary Lounge
Following the success of the Alessá family of three restaurants, award winning Chef Alessandro Pirozzi opened his new Mare Culinary Lounge in May 2012. Mare, the fourth restaurant in Alessandro Pirozzi’s Culinary Collection, is intimate, chic, and the perfect place to pop into for martinis and scrumptious appetizers. The hip, internationally inspired décor and imaginative cuisine brings haute dining to a piquant new culinary level. Among the recent phenomenal changes on the Laguna Beach dining scene, the most extraordinary was the late spring emergence of Mare Culinary Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mare Culinary Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (19)great for outdoor dining (18)neighborhood gem (17)good for groups (8)romantic (7)special occasion (7)notable wine list (6)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- We love the food...TCSievVIPDined on 11/8/2014The Alessa group has the most consistent amazing Italian food in Orange County - we LOVE them. Our first choice is Alessa on Forest for its energetic ambiance and our ability to stroll around downtown after we eat. However, they do not take reservations, so when it is full Mare is less than a mile away and usually has space plus they take Open Table reservations. The menus are almost identical and equally great with excellent wine choices and full bar. The only difference is Mare has to cater to the Holiday Inn Hotel it is attached too, so service can be a bit slow if there is a rush during off season when the staff is lighter. Not a serious criticism, just a locals note; we're never in a hurry. We dream about their spaghetti verde...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Not Be Back!JimDVIPDined on 11/6/2014Mediocre food and absolutely terrible service = We will not return to this place.
- We keep coming back...GdelpasaVIPDined on 10/26/2014Hidden on the ground floor of the Holiday Inn on Coast Highway, Mare is our favorite escape for seafood and Italian fare just a short walk from our Laguna beach house. After being introduced to Alessa on Forest, we have followed the team to their second location, Mare, and we're glad we did. Wonderful hospitality, a beautiful restaurant, and the special seafood and pasta dishes are fit for foodies. A gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LB food lovrOCdinerDined on 10/26/2014This restaurant offers a pleasant experience/great location. The patio is nice. Lighter options would be a great addition to breakfast; the sausage is a heavy dinner type cut. I would recommend omelets. French toast is almost like a dessert and is well done (if you like rich). My only issue is twice I've taken groups of 6 to 8 there and have made the resv on Open Table in advance. Upon arrival, there is no table ready (and restaurant is not crowded) but it's awkward for a party to have to wait and stumble around while the server tries to get a table for 8 together. It's almost as though they don't know you're coming. Our servers have been great both times, very accommodating - timing of coffees, breakfast entrees has been good.Special Features:
- HOLIDAY INNOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/25/2014My boyfriend and I were in town for my birthday staying at the montage hotel and were debating between this restaurant and another. We came here because we knew it was the same chef of Alessa down the road where the food is great. However, even after speaking to friends who knew the area and the hotel concierge no one mentioned that it is in the courtyard of the Holiday Inn on Coast Highway. The food was great, but the ambiance and decor of the restaurant was not as romantic or special as we had hoped.
- Amazing!!!DarlingCatVIPDined on 10/25/2014What an amazing hidden gem! Food is fabulous, really neat outside seating within the Resturant. A definite MUST!!! I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- SusanVIPDined on 10/19/2014This is a largely undiscovered gem, with special & delicious food, very good service, & a relaxing atmosphere. The Mare soup & the Branzino were absolutely wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS A GREAT MEALDINERDined on 10/16/2014We've been to Mare Culinary Lounge over a dozen times & the food here is always consistent & wonderful. The kitchen here does a wonderful job & it's doubtful you will ever have a bad meal here. It's a fun, casual place in the middle of Laguna Beach. The patio is great on nice evenings & if you have a group of friends or family, the food and ambience can't be beat. Must try a variety of dishes - everything is good.Special Features:
- I'd Try AgainHBGALDined on 9/27/2014Food is amazing, as always. The room itself is nothing special. Service was less than desirable; 20 minutes to get bread and water. Little attention there after but there was a party of 100 on the patio so that may have contributed.Special Features:
- GimmicksVIPDined on 9/27/2014Always the best food. Took relatives for the first time and they agreedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- coopsterVIPDined on 9/24/2014very good food- I arrived at 6pm and they were not ready for me- no servers ready and available-although I have been there several times and have never had this problem before the food is always excellent.Special Features:
- pretty nicebethDined on 9/9/2014The place was nice but not compelling. It didn't leave me with the impression that I could hardly wait to get back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- itwasgoodVIPDined on 9/6/2014The food was excellent on two different occasions . The service was good but the waiter could have been more attentive.Special Features:
- Mare Culinary LoungeBlondersHolmvikDined on 8/30/2014Hard to find this good of food at this price in the OC....... You won't be disappointed and those Rosemary potatoes!Special Features:
- A not-well-known gemBeforeBalletDined on 8/24/2014Located in a Holiday Inn, but not owned or run by the hotel. Chef is from Italy. Staff are really knowledgeable. Food is great. Have had breakfast, lunch and dinner there - all outstanding. The kind of place that I want to keep returning to. Free and easy parking in H. Inn lot or at nearby church parking lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just okJStoneDined on 8/23/2014Service was solid. Food was ok. Apps better than main course. For an Italian place, pasta should be al dente everytime, both of our Pastas were over cooked.Special Features:
- decent ItalianAnnaVIPDined on 8/19/2014We were expecting a much better restaurant, but it was ok for the price. Large quantities - good if you have a family. Caesar salads were excellent - wish I had gotten a large one and made that dinner. We had a pizza (crust too mushy, tho toppings good) and the pasta with sausage and chicken in a mushroom cream sauce (very rich, and the chicken was superfluous)/I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian love the new menuScottoVIPDined on 8/15/2014We took a group of 8 people here. Have Luigi order for you. Mamma Mia meatballs, octopus salad, then black ink pasta, Papparadelle Bolognese. Try the llama red wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 147 reviews are from the Mare Culinary Lounge reviews archive.
- FoodieFindsDined on 7/20/2014Who would have thought one could find a spot like this in a Holiday Inn? Mare is independently owned and run, and they are proud of what they do. Our server, Luigi, truly made our evening. He is a master at describing dishes in a way that makes your mouth water (we asked him to repeat a few of the specials just to hear his descriptions again :) and throughout the evening, he was both attentive and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchPaulVIPDined on 7/19/2014We enjoyed another great lunch at Mare's. We especially like the fact they do not charge a corkage for wine from Laguna CanyonSpecial Features:
- really good food but crazy noisyfoodielbVIPDined on 7/18/2014Food and service were great but not a place for a romantic dinner. Noisiest restaurant I've been in in a long time. Would maybe go back with a large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accepted our reservationLarryHNVIPDined on 7/15/2014But was closed when we arrived for it. Not good. You should never offer and accept reservations when you are closed.
- Good Food bad serviceDoctorJayDined on 7/12/2014We had a reservation on the night the hotel/restaurant was hosting a wedding. We were immediately "warned" by our waitress about the slow service and told we could not substitute "anything". We merely wanted a different pasta with one dish. They agreed after asking to see the manager , but then still switched the pasta without telling us and said "sorry we were out of that other pasta". To switch and not tell us , I told the manager, was not acceptable. She bought us a glass of wine and wanted to fix the pasta screw-up....too late, my kids were done! They should not have been open this night if they were unable to provide the service that Alessandro promises.!
- CDMNUPVIPDined on 7/12/2014Food was good. Seating was cramped. Parking was horrible - be prepare to pay $10 at the Church parking. There's a discrepancy between what Mare indicates (free) and reality. Service was so so if can get the waitress' attention. Asked for bread twice and never got them.Special Features:
- The best meal in Laguna BeachfitfoodieVIPDined on 7/3/2014Ask for Luigi, let him take it from there. He will order for you, pick your wine, and ave you a meal you will long remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014Living in Southern California, I often have guests from out of State. Mare is becoming my 'go to' restaurant. The ambiance, service, and menu selection are great. Something for everyone. Moderately priced and located in the heart of Laguna Beach with easy parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian find in LagunamikeVIPDined on 6/27/2014Sister property to Alessi in Laguna , located in the funky Holiday inn, it is a surprising find of adventurous Italian dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GourmetVIPDined on 6/21/2014Although in a Holiday Inn the food was creative, delicious and offered a lot of small plate sharings that made it a fun dining experience for two couplesSpecial Features:
- always pleasedDisappointedVIPDined on 5/24/2014consistently great food. great atmosphere and ambience. been there 10 times and always pleased. this time, a new server was the only negative, but he got "used to us" and by the end of the night was pleasant and helpful. it was extremely crowded and busy the nite we went anything that alessandro touches turns to gold...i highly recommend and will go back oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Save your money OCnittyoDined on 5/2/2014Poor service, waited 10 for waitress to arrive. She was apparently pulled from the kitchen when one of the managers noticed we were not be served. Busy boy cleaning restaurant while we ate. Sweeping floor & cleaning windows. Floor was very average. Based on our experience i don't see this restaurant lasting much longer.
- nice Laguna Beach restaurantcoopsterVIPDined on 4/30/2014I have to admit, when driving up and seeing the restaurant was located inside a Holiday Inn, I almost turned around and went elsewhere. Glad we didn't. The restaurant was very charming and had a very nice outdoor patio/garden eating area. The food was quite delicious- the lemon pasta with lobster was outstanding. I have been to another restaurant by the same owner and expected good things- and this was even better than expected. I had the seabass fish of the day which was exceptional but could not keep my fork out of my sister's lemon pasta with lobster- really delicious. We both had an arugula fennel salad which was also delicious.Special Features:
- Would definately returnGFGourmetVIPDined on 4/26/2014Very friendly staff. Chef checked on us. Food excellent! Gluten free pasta available...just tell the server what you want with it of items they stock and chef will make you a killer bowl of pasta without making you feel inferior or bringing undo attention. You will get the same flavorful meal as others at the table. Loved it.
- Just Yum...TastyFaceVIPDined on 4/22/2014Calamari is so light! Branzino baked in rock salt (order in advance?). Do it! Clams with Squid ink pasta…perfecto. Of course, "tasted" another pasta my friend had, with tiny teardrop red peppers that they "pickle on premises" (POP!?). Worth a trip back just for that little addition to the dish. Told that Chef Alessandro is opening a new restaurant in Corona Del Mar (Pizzoli's?). Looking forward to a new place to taste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter brunchMmmB8VIPDined on 4/20/2014Delicious food, great service and readily available reservations. The inside was quite noisy though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!!LuvtodineoutDined on 4/18/2014It is right across from the Pacific Edge Hotel where we were staying. Very nice atmosphere with a lovely outdoor patio. Service and food were great!! My daughter and I would dine here again for sure ;-)Special Features:
- DinnerDebFoodVIPDined on 4/13/2014We had the calamari, leg of lamb special, John Dory, and halibut. All were excellent and our server suggested two fabulous Italian wines we had never tried. We will be back!Special Features:
- Good but way too loud.LovefoodVIPDined on 4/4/2014There were certain things that were really good, like the pesto sauce to dip your bread in, the two different carpaccio's that we had which were heirloom tomatoes with Burratta cheese and tuna with fennel, but the pizza was not good. The crust was mushy and the sauce too salty. I don't know if they were using a different flour but it was not as good as it was in the past. It also was so loud we could barely hear each other talk. They definitely need to work on that.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014The waiter did an excellent job explaining the specials. Both my date and I went for the sea bass. it was tasty if all your looking for is a snack. The ambience was great. I had to have two fish filets, fries and a apple pie later for my second course.Special Features:
- Best Italian concept in SoCalArtySmartyDined on 3/13/2014Whatever Chef Alessandro suggests and he'll do it fresh from scratch, do it. He is remarkably talented, passionate and committed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre RestaurantlisaVIPDined on 3/8/2014We had a 6:30 reservation but they had us down for 7:30. Since I made it online I had the email confirmation. Our party had 4 ppl and they tried to seat us at a table for 3 ppl? Weird, we didn't fit at this table. She then says OK you can sit over there (the table RIGHT next to the kitchen, with only 3 chairs!) Ok, do you not see there are 4 ppl?? So she pulls up a chair from the empty 4 top table next to us. (There were plenty of 4 top tables open) Our waitress was efficient but one of the most unfriendly servers I have had. The food was very good, the cheese plate was phenomenal but for $250 I like to have enjoyable service. We may go back but there are SO many good restaurants this would not be a place I would specifically recommend.Special Features: