315 King Street West
Toronto, ON M5V 1J5Neighborhood:
Downtown / Entertainment District
FrenchPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marcels.com/
- Phone: 4165918600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Fabien Siebert
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Looking for a truly memorable private party for your Company, Friends or Family?...think Marcel"s Bistro and Zazou Lounge! A relaxing atmosphere, plush sofas and cozy fireplaces await you in this chic lounge. Zazou Lounge is an ideal spot for your entire event needs. Whether you are looking for a pre-theatre drink, after work cocktail or full function, let Zazou Lounge create a unique experience for your next event! Located upstairs from Le Saint Tropez and next to the renowned Marcel's Bistro at 315 King Street West, Zazou can accommodate any size.
- Private Party Contact: Fabien Siebert 4165918600
- Cross Street: Between John & Peter Streets
- Public Transit: Immediately accessible to the King Streetcar. A few short blocks to the St. Andrew subway entrance.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are numerous parking facilities in and around the Entertainment District and the Theatres in this popular area.
A word from Marcel's
The Best of France under one roof! Situated above Le Saint Tropez, Marcel's serves award winning French cuisine since 1984. Specialties include grilled venison with lingon berry jus; roasted rack of lamb with rosemary-juniper reduction; fennel seared Atlantic salmon filet with passion fruit beurre-blanc and daily specials. Classic French desserts include crème brulée and profiterole au chocolat. The space is bright, airy, with large mirrors listing daily specials and soft classical music wafts overhead. Perfect setting for business lunches and romantic dinners. Unpretentious, professional and impeccable service. Exclusive selection of fine wines, many by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Marcel's reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (17)special occasion (16)romantic (14)fit for foodies (12)neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (8)notable wine list (6)great for brunch (5)scenic view (2)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great food, very quietneens36VIPDined on 8/15/2014This is a hidden gem. Perhaps because it's upstairs from St. Tropez, I'd never noticed it before. The food was absolutely delicious, the service attentive, and it was very quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodlippsDined on 8/14/2014this is a must for French loving foodies! do not skip out on trying the escargot in the champagne cream sauce with butter puff pastry! yum! also server was amazing too! I think his name is allen?? hes very lively!Special Features:
- why no customersjsocDined on 8/8/2014I have been going to Marcel's for thirty years and have never seen it so empty....was there 5.30 to 6.50, before a baseball game and there was only 4 people in the restaurant...the food and the service were good, so why so few customers....the street was busy with people and most restaurants were busySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service & delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014Excellent service by all staff... server checked after each course, manager also came by to see if all ok. Food was delicious and portion sizes were perfect for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summerlicious 2014fidcasDined on 7/17/2014I came for dinner at Marcels and wasn't disappointed. The service was excellent and food was served promptly. I started with the terrine which was delicious and had peppercorns that added a nice spice. Next was the steak and potatoes and it was perfectly cooked and tasty. The crust on the meat was just the right texture. Dessert was the tart normande which I've never had and it was terrific with a delicious caramel sauce that set off the apple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeCNBlackwell87Dined on 7/16/2014Simply awesome service, good food, and non- pretentious ambience! Will definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2014The services was excellent. The presentation of the food was so creative and the portion of the food was just right. I took my daughter there for her birthday treat and she has the smiles on her face all the time there. Thank you Marcel's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summerlicious lunchLiquidLunchMDDined on 7/16/2014Came to Marcel's for a summerlicious lunch and had a great and filling meal. My two friends had the salmon crepe appetizer and the flank steak with potatoes. I had the chicken pate and the scallop linguini. For dessert I had a puff pastry with chocolate sauce, one friend has the mousse and the other had vanilla caramel. All delicious. My only negative comment would be regarding our server. We asked him what he would recommend from the lunch menu and he said "dinner" and then told us that he didn't like any of the appetizers and then quickly told us his picks for mains and dessert. He had quite the attitude and it wasn't appreciated. We also were charged for the water that was on the table and we weren't told that it wasn't complimentarySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great. Review below.MattiusDined on 7/15/2014Great dining experience. Waitress and other staff were fabulous and gave me and my guests an opportunity to speak french. Loved it so much, I brought another group of friends to Marcel's two days later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem on King WestTravellingFoodieDined on 7/13/2014The restaurant has a great European vibe with a menu to match. The filet cod left your taste buds wanting more and the apple tart had a Parisian taste to it. Very hard to find desserts that taste French in Canada. The ambiance was quite but friendly for conversation. The service timely and friendly. A place true Torontonian want would love to eat at and enjoy the view of king west.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, ok serviceSamantita22Dined on 7/12/2014I went with my family to have lunch and two of then ending up being late to lunch. It took almost 15min for our server to finally notice we were trying to catch his attention. It would be like that for the rest of lunch. We tried several times to flag him down when we wanted to order more drinks, but he always seemed to miss us. From the time my two family members came in late, he never asked us if we wanted to order drinks. I understand if it was maybe a packed restaurant or if there was a line up of people, and my family arriving late didn't help the situation, but it wasn't too busy and my family actually apologized for being late. Otherwise, the food was amazing. I was happy with my food.Special Features:
- Français, mai le cuisine ...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014No double the place has the french bistro feel, and tables are not crowded together which was very nice. Service was professional if a little on the cool side. We didn't drink at lunch so can't comment on the wine list. What was disappointing was the food. They are simply not prepared with the level of care expected from an establishment with its long held reputation as a true french cuisine purveyor. Fish was overcooked and tasteless. Veal was unmemorable. Desserts were on par with what ones gets at a buffet table. Although it can be a pleasant place for a hot summer evening but if the regular menu tastes the same as what we have sampled in Summerlicious, there are better alternatives in that busy strip of King St.Special Features:
- Food You Won't Find EverywhereDinoDined on 7/10/2014Marcel's has a refreshingly original menu and a great lunch menu. I have been in search of a good Financial District location with interesting menu de jour options. Marcel's fits the bill. The food is good rather than excellent, but definitely a cut above the average fare and very good value. I would definitely return, especially given lunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average eaterygoodfoodfanDined on 7/10/2014The food was good but not outstanding. Not sure whether this is just because of the special pricing for summerlicious and if the regular menu offerings would be superior. We appreciated having a bread basket before the meal arrived as some restaurants no longer provide one. The ambiance would have been enhanced by some French music. The waiter's pacing was just right but he showed dissatisfaction with his 15% tip. We felt this was a rather impolite reaction as we had been very easy customers.
- Delicious Summerlicious MenuJChimeraDined on 7/9/2014Very good menu, excellent food quality and wine pairings.Special Features:
- Great Food, Even better serviceBannockDined on 7/8/2014My girlfriends and I recently had dinner at Marcel's during the Summerlicious menu. The food was very good and the service was even better!Special Features:
- Great lunch spotHungrybaby47Dined on 7/6/2014We went for a romantic (as romantic as it could be with our seven month old in tow) lunch during Summerlicious. The selections were great, the food was very good, although the veal was not as tender as we might have liked. The service was excellent, although there were only a few diners when we went. They were very friendly and most helpful. Would definitely recommend Marcel's.Special Features:
- perhaps an off nightthegirlcaDined on 5/29/2014It was slow and sometimes that can make the service a little more lackadaisical, it doesn't work for me. I prefer my wait staff to be attentive. The appetiser we wanted wasn't available. The pasta wasn't available and the bill was brought with asking about dessert. The bison was tasty but unevenly butchered, therefore well at one end and medium at the other (versus the medium rare ordered).Special Features:
- The following 91 reviews are from the Marcel's reviews archive.
- Classic fine diningLuv2DineVIPDined on 3/6/2014I had been intrigued by the 30th Anniversary prix-fixe menu as it looked great with a lot of the French classics. I had often walked past this restaurant on King St. W. over the years but had never tried it. As much as I enjoy all trendy new restaurants with various eclectic presentation styles and ingredient combinations - there is something to be said for classic French food. Marcel's does a great job at that. Very attentive service by both our server and the manager. A very comfortable restaurant that you can spend hours in without wanting to leave. We both has the anniversary menu. The onion soup was very well prepared, in the classic style. The frog legs were very tasty. The beef, sweetbreads, liver & desserts were all great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PassableImissbarootesDined on 2/26/2014Room was empty - very few pre theatre diners Food was just passable There are too many choices in the theatre district to warrant returning for a mediocre meal here.
- A wonderful night to stepOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/19/2014A wonderful night to step out of the cold into a warm welcoming place and enjoy the fun side of life. The Menu has a good variety of food that is sure to please every one in a group. The staff kept a good eye on us always showing up at the right time with a friendly smile. This is a place that I would return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NIce spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014My wife and I enjoyed the Valentine Day special. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- Piquant but not satisfyingFrancophileDined on 2/13/2014I choose to dine at Marcel's for dinner during Winterlicious. I was woefully disappointed with the vegetarian appetizer - a soup which was the right consistency but lacked any notable taste. The entree was slightly better, a risotto with spinach, and other vegetables - admittedly it had light taste, but it was rather bland overall. The dessert, something I looked forward to - was a further disappointment. It was a dark chocolate mousse with raspberry - it didn't achieve mousse-like consistency, rather, it was reminiscent of wet-frosting. I believe its meat options, steak, etc. were far more palatable and enjoyable. The ambiance, and the location are prime - but the food lacklustre at best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 of us got together at Marcel'scullyDined on 2/13/20144 of us got together at Marcel's for the Winterlicious menu that they were offering. 3 of us ordered the same thing, the veal served with vegs. and a potato. It was pretty good but somehow not what I expected. Wish now that I had ordered the trout. The restaurant when we attended (5:30) was not too crowded which I preferred. Service was good, the ambience was quaint and the house wine was fine. Nothing over the top but all in all a decent meal and a nice night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was horrible; if yousharkfinDined on 2/13/2014Service was horrible; if you aren't staffed properly I don't know why you'd participate in Winterlicious. Half of the items on the menu were 'sold-out', not that the food was good anyway. Definitely never going back nor checking out the other associated restaurants.
- Service was WONDERFUL. SheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/12/2014Service was WONDERFUL. She made suggestions and offered alternatives that many servers do not think of. Three steaks were ordered. 2 at medium; They were a perfect. The other one wanted hers well done. We agreed and settled on Med/well, as the steak cut would be too hard at Well done. She got hers at Med, but on the rare side. She ate it as she didn't want it sent back. I had the apple tart and found it quite nice. 3 of the ladies had the mousse or cheese dessert from the Winterlicious fixed menu. I can't remember exactly what it was. They all had the same dessert and all 3 did not like it nor did they finish it. We all loved our entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- winterlicious was just so-soVirchoweatsDined on 2/8/2014Went on a very crowded Saturday night during the Winterlicious restaurant week for a $30 prix fixe dinner. 5 of us had 3 different appetizers, entrees, and desserts. Everything was acceptable, but the two fish dishes I tried were not particularly tasty. Fish seemed frozen/tasteless. Three of us got steak, which was quite good. At $44/bottle, the top priced wine (and the only French one of the 3 offerings at this French restaurant) offered as part of the promotion was a cote du rhone that was too young and tannic. Maybe this place does better when things are less frantic, and prices go back to their higher norm, but felt like a nice tourist trap rather than a restaurant that really cares about food and wine.
- New ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014I love their appetizers and LOVE LOVE their desert. their portions are pretty good. Main course is a bit bland for my taste, but is very very healthy and I felt really good afterwards.Special Features:
- Winterlicious DinnerLIBatiousDined on 2/7/2014Came here for the first time with my hubby and was very disappointed with the quality of the food. It was supposed to be fine dining, but the food was just okay (the Keg is better). This was in the same price range as Rosewater Supper Club so we were expecting the same quality of food. Sadly it did not meet our expectation. Everything was mediocre and I don't think that this should be called fine dining. It was also supposed to be authentic south of France flair, but I have been to the south of France, and this was nothing close. Just fancy name for mediocre food.Special Features:
- WENT BECAUSE IT WAS CLOSEOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/4/2014WENT BECAUSE IT WAS CLOSE TO THE THEATER. DIDN,T REALIZE THAT WE COULD ONLY ORDER THE WINTERLICIOUS MENU, BUT WE WERE NOT DISAPPOINTED WITH THE MEALSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winterlicious ExperienceHungryLadyDined on 1/31/2014Restaurant is in a good location, clean, nice atmosphere and staff was very helpful and friendly. I came with a group of friends for the Winterlicious 2014 event. While the food was good, the portions were pretty small, especially for a $35 dinner menu. it was obvious the restaurant was skimping on food, in order to make a profit. All the portions, from the appetizer to the dessert, were moderately sized, and left me pretty hungry. Therefore, I will not be coming back again during Summerlicious/Winterlicious or otherwise.Special Features:
- Visited the restaurant forNotGreatDined on 1/31/2014Visited the restaurant for Winterlicious. Found the food to be overcooked and cold. Also found the wait staff to be panicked and unorganized to deal with. Unhappy with the quality of the food, the service and the overall experience.
- first time winterlisious personconcertgoerDined on 1/31/2014We were attending a concert. We told the staff we were on a time restraint and they did everyjthing in their power to make our visit great. Good food, good service and we made the concert on time. Thumbs up from our family!Special Features:
- Dinner and TheatreDintheatreDined on 1/31/2014Marcel's is perfectly located for dining and going to the theatre. Excellent menu, and food well prepared. Waitress asked us if we had evening plans and our dinner was perfectly timed to allow us to make it to the theatre right on time. Made reservations and although we were a few minutes late our table was wating for us. Great atmosphere for 2 and or for friends to meet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good location - food only fairOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/31/2014Great location for a pre-theatre dinner. Nice space (upstairs) - reasonable privacy between tables, pleasant decor. Service was excellent. Food was okay - not something special; beef was rather more chewy than anticipated. Vegetables fresh and cooked to tender state. Upon departure, there were problems with their credit card payment machines which delayed us - a problem since we were on the way to theatre, and staff were apologetic. I'd probably go somewhere else next time.
- FantasticLorrieDined on 1/9/2014We enjoyed a lovely dinner, my friend had soup served in a"tureen" Don't remember what kind but he thought it was good. Service was great and very timely. Good wine and a lovely meal. We both had sole. The piano player was great and not too loud. We sat beside the piano and it was not one bit distracting. Good sound level. Overall 4 and half out of 5.Special Features:
- The restaurant is on a secondSparkyVIPDined on 1/8/2014The restaurant is on a second level, long staircase. It is kind of dangerous to walk up or down. I have to wait a long time before the waitress will come with a menu. Food overall good, but service is too slow.Special Features:
- OKBayleeDined on 11/13/2013I had previously eaten in their other restaurant, St. Tropez and I was looking forward to real French Onion Soup which is not on Marcel's menu. To be honest, when you start off a little disappointed, it is difficult to give a really good revue. I found the menu very limiting and there was nothing that really appealed to me. I did have the mussels and they were good although the sauce was not overly tasty. I will probably not go to the restaurant again. Also, for senior, the stairs are difficult and the washrooms are up another flight of stairs.I would recommend this to a friend.
- worthwhile to climb the stairsPeterDined on 11/2/2013Marcel is a French cuisine restaurant on second floor at a vibrant part of King Street close to University Avenue, Spadina area. Food was unexpectedly good. Three persons with a half bottle of wine: a little over 200 with tips. Not inexpensive but food quality is worth it. Cream Brulee was one of the best we have tasted in a string of French restaurants. The monkfish was done with a flair and experience. Steak was very well as well. Mussels were small but sauce was good. Will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic to the maxOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2013I came here for my anniversary as part of a mirvish theatre package. Our meals were a prix-fixed and the food was great. I got a preview of the a la carte menu and another prix-fixe menu, both of which had very interesting and tasty selections. However for us, the best part was the service! Not to say the food wasn't great but the service was on a whole other level. Our server was polite and courteous and made very sure everything was perfect to our liking. Came by the table the right number of times (without intruding or being forgetful we were there - just right). On top of that, it wasn't just our one server, but everyone, popped in to check on us. The lighting, the crowd, and ambience was very romantic. A must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.